daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 15th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #481
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
That map of federally designated HSR corridors is woefully inadequate. First off, there is no HSL connecting Chicago with the BosWash megalopolis.

HSR would work fabulously in California, Texas, the Midwest, SE and East Coast. That leaves the plains states and interior mountain regions of America unserved, but few people live there anyways. However, there is no reason why slower speed rail service (100-125 mph) couldn't connect cities like Salt Lake City and Denver with nearby smaller metro areas.
Are you talking about "my" map ??? it's just a wish list or something like that.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #482
Chafford1

Likes (Received): 0

US High Speed Rail Plan Launched

Documents can be found at:

http://www.fra.dot.gov/us/content/31

This is revolutionary for the USA and all credit to Obama!
Chafford1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #483
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Really cool, I just hope that if/when these turn into reality, that they will actually go faster than a mere 240 km/h...
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #484
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Likes (Received): 4

I wish they would start talking about funding...this will cost hundreds of billions...the earlier the better

Not to quibble with a vision, but why would Houston not be connected to the South Central network? Ditto for Pittsburgh - Cleveland and Jacksonville - Orlando?
LAmarODom420 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #485
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Are there any other maps of the planned routes available? The PDF's aren't opening on my computer for some reason.

...or is this picture (that's been posted a million times before) the actual plan?

Old April 17th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #486
Kwame
Nkrabea Nni Kwatibea

Likes (Received): 29

Pretty much.

There is no place like Afrika.

SSC Afrika: Algeria ¤ Angola ¤ Egypt ¤ Ethiopia ¤ Kenya ¤ Morocco ¤ Nigeria ¤ South Africa ¤ Sudan ¤ Tunisia
Kwame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #487
zkline

This is sort of disappointing

Why aren't they focusing on just a few really high-density routes? Why bother with Dallas-Little Rock? Worcester-Albany? How many people need to get from Raleigh to Savannah? Even Albany-Buffalo seems fairly marginal. And as someone already said, why oh why wouldn't you connect Dallas to Houston? Those are enormous cities, and the distance is perfect.
zkline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #488
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkline View Post
Why aren't they focusing on just a few really high-density routes? Why bother with Dallas-Little Rock? Worcester-Albany? How many people need to get from Raleigh to Savannah? Even Albany-Buffalo seems fairly marginal. And as someone already said, why oh why wouldn't you connect Dallas to Houston? Those are enormous cities, and the distance is perfect.
I agree with why they would make Dallas-Little Rock routes, I wonder why they wouldn't just connect Dallas with the rest of the Eastern Route.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #489
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

maybe its because of the distance between dallas and Houston.
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #490
zkline

could be

But as far as I can tell Dallas-Houston is only ~40 miles longer than Dallas-Austin
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #491
zkline

and Dallas-Houston is much much shorter than Houston-NOLA, plus I've gotta think there are way more Houstonians who need to Dallas than NOLA.
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #492
hans280

Likes (Received): 172

Is the United States by any chance a federal nation? This smacks strongly of "every part of the country should have a piece of the cake". But in some ways it makes sense: the 8 billion in the kitty are only a drop on the hot stone if they are to invest in real HSR. The cost will run to hundreds of billions. All Obama is saying is, whichever state(s) moves first will get a handful of cash in start-up aid. The map shows the corridors that are candidates for such aid, should the Governors get their act together.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #493
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Shouldn't it be possible to link up the Chicago and the North East network? I really wouldn't bother with Florida or the Northwest just yet.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #494
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

People, please.

This is just lip service. 8 billion for 5 years. Thats less than 2 bn per year.

How much for WEAPONRY / year in the same period? outside of 400 bn

get real americans. protest your government for much more than this

china allocated almost 900 bn (!) just for rail for the next couple of years

europe is spending in the 10s of bns / year on HSR

COME ON, this is pathetic
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #495
gramercy
BANNED

the chuo shinkansen (550 km maglev from tokyo to osaka) will cost almost 50 bn dollars

the swiss are spending close to 40 bn CHF on their revitalizing programme, including the longest tunnel, the 3rd longest tunnel in the world and another 18 km long tunnel

the swiss are spending more on HS rail than the US

PATHETIC
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #496
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
People, please.

This is just lip service. 8 billion for 5 years. Thats less than 2 bn per year.

How much for WEAPONRY / year in the same period? outside of 400 bn

get real americans. protest your government for much more than this

china allocated almost 900 bn (!) just for rail for the next couple of years

europe is spending in the 10s of bns / year on HSR

COME ON, this is pathetic

What is pathetic is that someone above's hero Mr Obama has to borrow the 8 billion from the Chinese in the first place. The US doesn't have the money for a giant far reaching dive into this right now. If this is to be done at all it should start with the NE corridor and see how it goes with that one route. Once there is a public buy in then expand it but for now they should stick with the one area where there are passengers who will definetely ride it.

The US isn;t China and certainly isn't Europe. Americans are not rail riders, we've been trained since birth to get in that car and drive, and when the trip is too far you take a plane. Changing that won;t happen overnight and you can't force it simply buy building the trains. The US has a bunch of open spaces and we like to drive the cars. Rail travel isn't really even in the picture except between Boston and Washington DC where traffic and air congestion make it a viable and attractive alternative. HSR in that corridor is a great idea IMO. It will ease congestion on the roads and air in that corridor. Don't get me wrong, I am not against this in principle, but I am against it in areas where the end result will likely be two trains daily filled to 10% capacity. I don't agree with building it just to build it. To me that's a terrible investment of public funds.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #497
gramercy
BANNED

Both coasts, the north-east, the mid-west and texas have the same or higher population densities than europe.

Furthermore, places like Spain have very low population densities but have cities far away. There is nothing in the desert in the LA/LV/PHX corridor....but I bet people would ride the train from city-centre to city-centre if it could do the distance in an hour and a half.
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #498
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Agreed, the only trouble in a City like LA is that there is no longer really a city center. LA from a businessperson's perspective, is extremely large. If this thing was to be built there and made to be viable you would need a huge infrastructure module around it. You would need every service that the airport has; rental car, taxi, food, etc etc. That gets prohibitive in the CIty Centers. It's a challenge here in the US. Folks above me have read me wrong. I'm a train buff. I couldn't wait to ride Acela and seeing HSR would be an awesome thing. But, as one of those evil conservatives I would want to see tax money spent for highest and best use. In this regard there are very few corridors where HSR is the best use of infrastructure dollars.

Boston to DC, absolutely, SFC to LA and LV, probably, but the sprawl of those cities makes it a challenge. If you have to stop ten times in LA then it is hardly high speed no matter how fast the train goes. It will work in the US, but not as pictured in that map above. That map represents the potential waste of hundreds of billions of dollars just so Congressman X can say that his/her district got some. If you want to spend infrastructure dollars between Omaha and Denver in reality just add a lane to the interstate within 75 miles of each city. That would ease congestion in that regard.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #499
gramercy
BANNED

Not really. The train can run at 200 kph inside the city stopping at -say- every 20 mile interval, picking up people. Then at Palm Springs accelerate to 360 kph all the way till the western side of PHX where it would stop then continue all the way till Tucson at 200 kph. Stopping at least 3-4 more times inside PHX.

And yes, american cities CRY for much denser PT. But I think high speed trains have proven themselves against planes already: look at japan or the Paris-Marseilles route: only 1/3rd chose something else, 2/3rd goes by train. Thats HUGE. And thats a comparable distance to say Irvign-Las Vegas.
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #500
pcrail

Likes (Received): 13

The funding is missing !

Well to jump-start this issue there shall be at least 5 times more funding. Switzerland spends for the new railway link thru the Alps every year about 1.1 bn USD. To have a funding proportional to the polpulation US shall spend 44 bn USD every year!
pcrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states