daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 4th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #5041
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
No. I'm neither right nor left. I simply support personal and economic liberty.
So You're a libertarian?

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #5042
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

WE ARE HERE TO DISCUSS TRAINS AND RAILROAD INFRASTRUCTURE, NOT POLITICS!!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #5043
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Well it is Election Day, and yes Cuomo has worked hard to revitalize Upstate NY's economy which is heavily discussed in Buffalo Development News in Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #5044
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Ya but thats more policy than X is better than Y.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #5045
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

It takes 9 faking hours to get from NYC to Niagara Falls/Buffalo. 9 HOURS! I was planing to go see the falls by rail but then I said, screw that.. i mean, that's just atrociously unbelievably horrifically awful.

City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #5046
grant1simons2
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 2209

The Emprire Builder has taken 12 hours to get from Minneapolis to Milwaukee. That's a 6 hour drive. It's only on time 20% of the time! Lol

grant1simons2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #5047
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
It takes 9 faking hours to get from NYC to Niagara Falls/Buffalo. 9 HOURS! I was planing to go see the falls by rail but then I said, screw that.. i mean, that's just atrociously unbelievably horrifically awful.
Try being stuck on the train from Boston to Cleveland. While you're in Massachusetts, you stop whenever CSX wants you to, and when you're west of Schenectady...you stop whenever CSX wants you to. Took me 24 hours one time.

I know that the track in western MA is anachronistically twisty, but honestly, assuming they have the ROW, just how much could double/triple-tracking cost?
Old November 5th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #5048
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Sunset on the Northeast Corridor

Sunset along the Northeast Corridor Line at Secaucus
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:47 AM   #5049
Donegal
Leave the city behind 

Likes (Received): 1094

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
I know, I was bored to death.

And in the end, we lie awake

And we dream of making our escape
Donegal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #5050
ren0312

Likes (Received): 21

How much would it basically cost to upgrade the entire track to 110mph standard along vital corridors? China can manage average speeds of more than 100 kph on normal rails through very mountainous terrain, so surely the US can do better even with normal AMTRAK trains on flat ground.

FM 2258, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ren0312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #5051
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

You can upgrade existing track to 500 mph standard for all I care, but that will not make any difference as long as the track is owned by a freight railroad company that can make more money by giving priority to its own trains.

pudgym29, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #5052
ren0312

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
You can upgrade existing track to 500 mph standard for all I care, but that will not make any difference as long as the track is owned by a freight railroad company that can make more money by giving priority to its own trains.
How does the system work in Europe?
Old November 5th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #5053
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Officially it should work like this: Track occupancy is divided into time slots. On time trains get priority to use their assigned slot. Late (and early) trains are served based on a priority schedule, which often, but not always(!), gives priority to passenger trains.

The reality is slightly different and usually amounts to passenger trains getting priority when things go south.

Old November 5th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #5054
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegal View Post
Well, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not the next week, but someday we will travel from Toronto to Buffalo and NY on a HSR.
Don't count on it. Actually, not a chance.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #5055
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10876

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0312 View Post
How does the system work in Europe?
Infrastructure managers create grooves off-hours maintenance, the cost of each row depends on the saturation in that time interval. Traders buy grooves, or ask a new one, depending on their interests and their cost. Infrastructure managers keep the lines with revenues of canons: grooves, using stations, parking on tracks, logistics, electricity, etc.

For example, a London-Brussels Eurostar trip cost on average and with an occupancy of 65%, 53 € per passenger canons only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusiluz View Post
Después de leerme este tocho (mucha literatura y pocos datos), solo soy capaz de resaltar lo siguiente:

Evolución (2005/2012) de los cánones por km*tren en algunas LAVs:

Se puede decir que es la única LAV pura alemana. Según wiki.it NTV paga 13,4 € de canon por km*tren por sus Italo de AV.

Canon en 2011 para el Eurostar según tramos, e ingresos brutos anuales por km:

Otros países:
Here is a lot of information over canons, but is in Spanish.
Los administradores de infraestructuras crean unos surcos fuera de las horas de mantenimiento, el coste de cada surco depende de la saturación en ese intervalo de tiempo. Los operadores compran surcos, o piden uno nuevo, en función de sus intereses y de su precio. Los administradores de infraestructuras mantienen las líneas con los ingresos de los cánones: surcos, uso de estaciones, vías de estacionamiento, logística, electricidad, etc.
Por ejemplo, un viaje Londres-Bruselas en Eurostar cuesta, de media y con una ocupación del 65%, 53 € por viajero solo en cánones.
Aquí hay mucha información sobre cánones, pero está en español.

Donegal, Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #5056
ren0312

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
Don't count on it. Actually, not a chance.
If they can upgrade the track to 110mph standard then people may switch modes.
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #5057
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

I know next to nothing about track dynamics and maintenance, but even at relatively low by world standards 110mph track, wouldn't the passage of multiple North American style 75~ 100 car freight trains (each weighing a total of several thousands, or perhaps tens of thosands of tons) damage track to the extent that maintenance would be cost prohibitive and/or result in lower speeds for the passenger trains (due to that damage from minimally maintained freight cars)?? Remember that N. American freight trains derail often, and sometimes catastrophically.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #5058
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Trains usually derail because of bad track alignment or track damage (often caused by bad maintenance to either track or rolling stock[flat spotted wheels!]). Note that NA is the only territory where the combination of high axle loads and high(er) speeds is used on the same track. That in itself isn't a problem, in fact a 300 km/h 16 ton/axle high speed train will probably cause higher dynamic track loads then a 30 mph 30 ton/axle freight train.

The real question is: Why would a the freight railroad build and maintain track to a higher standard then needed for their operation? It would only cost them extra. Given that reality it's already amazing that there is 110 mph track.

j-biz liked this post
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #5059
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Niantic Beach
by Lever_Frame, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #5060
ren0312

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Trains usually derail because of bad track alignment or track damage (often caused by bad maintenance to either track or rolling stock[flat spotted wheels!]). Note that NA is the only territory where the combination of high axle loads and high(er) speeds is used on the same track. That in itself isn't a problem, in fact a 300 km/h 16 ton/axle high speed train will probably cause higher dynamic track loads then a 30 mph 30 ton/axle freight train.

The real question is: Why would a the freight railroad build and maintain track to a higher standard then needed for their operation? It would only cost them extra. Given that reality it's already amazing that there is 110 mph track.
What I mean is that if you look at China, its fastest normal trains run at 160kph, at yet they can average more than 100kph on mountainous routes, much if the US is flat ground, so the normal US trains can probably average 130kph or more, which will make them competitive with cars and buses.

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states