daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 20th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #5081
stephendavion

Likes (Received): 172

All Aboard Florida intercity passenger rail project route South Florida to Orlando

Urbnplanr, Buffaboy, Nexis, jchernin, patel2897 liked this post
stephendavion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2014, 09:08 AM   #5082
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

UNITED STATES | High Speed Rail

With regards to potential HSR in NY, just wanted to remark that I hate the idea of HSR going around the city of Utica. With a beautiful station and heavy usage on the current Lake Shore Limited and Maple Leaf services why would they shortchange an already distressed area by making them (and myself 1/2 the time) either drive an hour to the airport or another train station? It's details like this that need to have more public input, whether it's for this city or Yonkers, or anywhere else.

Last edited by Buffaboy; November 22nd, 2014 at 12:27 AM.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 12:21 AM   #5083
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

Yes, that's because the Texas project has to pay dividends to its investors, while the CA project has its nose in the public trough.
Ha, but will the investors find it profitable enough, we shall see.

gippas liked this post
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 01:54 PM   #5084
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
With regards to potential HSR in NY, just wanted to remark that I hate the idea of HSR going around the city of Utica. With a beautiful station and heavy usage on the current Lake Shore Limited and Maple Leaf services why would they shortchange an already distressed area by making them (and myself 1/2 the time) either drive an hour to the airport or another train station? It's details like this that need to have more public input, whether it's for this city or Yonkers, or anywhere else.
I wouldn't be too upset about any current plans for an Empire Corridor upgrade. Right now, they're super-duper preliminary, and many, many years in the future. I've taken the Lake Shore Limited a number of times, and, like you, I can hardly imagine a line going through New York that didn't stop at Utica. We just have to wait and see what happens with that plan.

Hopefully something, and I'm also hoping for something with the line from Boston heading west to Albany; that ancient, curvy track is always a source of slowdown during the trip.

Tower Dude liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:44 PM   #5085
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

Yes, that's because the Texas project has to pay dividends to its investors, while the CA project has its nose in the public trough.
Yes well, pardon my ignorance but is that Texan project still alive and moving ahead? I checked their website and the newest "news items" that I can find are almost two years old.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:14 PM   #5086
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Yes they are doing the environmental review right now. Actually 2 environmental reviews one for the Dallas to Houston line and another for the Fort Worth, Arlington, to Dallas line. As long as Texas doesn't f*** it up then they should be able to get at least one HSR line.

FM 2258 liked this post
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:25 PM   #5087
xeror

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I've heard that the major problem now is the purchase of land with them having obtained only a bit more than half of what they need. That seems to also be the new tactic of rail opponents. Delay as much as possible and hope that funding runs out.

This project still has more than 50/50 chance of happening (between Madera and Bakersfield only), but it's not a done deal yet. Particularly with the results of recent elections. Republicans made huge gains and most of them are ideologically opposed to public transport.
If they successfully make the project to halt by running out the funding, it's really stupid that money is spent with nothing in return. Citizens lose their tax money, convenient way to travel and better air quality with less pollutant from cars.
xeror no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #5088
ren0312

Likes (Received): 21

Is there a way for normal rail to maintain an average speed of around 75-85 mph in order to be competitive with driving a car?
ren0312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #5089
ren0312

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
Yes they are doing the environmental review right now. Actually 2 environmental reviews one for the Dallas to Houston line and another for the Fort Worth, Arlington, to Dallas line. As long as Texas doesn't f*** it up then they should be able to get at least one HSR line.
Maybe they should just try their luck with regular rail line that can be faster or at least the same with driving a car.
ren0312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #5090
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0312 View Post
Maybe they should just try their luck with regular rail line that can be faster or at least the same with driving a car.
No one is going to take the train if it takes the same amount of time as driving. It has to be significantly faster.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #5091
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2798

Unless we offer some economic incentives... i.e. price gas sanely.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #5092
CollegeBoy
Bad Moon Rising

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0312 View Post
Is there a way for normal rail to maintain an average speed of around 75-85 mph in order to be competitive with driving a car?
Yeah, if it stops once or twice and not in every town with a population over 5,000.

DJ Technotik - Soundcloud

CNB30, aquaticko liked this post
CollegeBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #5093
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

I have a question, why does Amtrak run on commercial freight rail instead of a dedicated rail?
Old November 26th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #5094
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Where in the world would they get the money, let alone the room to do so? also, if the well of private railroads of 100 years ago didn't do so, than I'd expect Amtrak not to do so.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #5095
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I have a question, why does Amtrak run on commercial freight rail instead of a dedicated rail?
Because Amtrack does not own the rails in most palces. Amtrack started in 1971, long after mot of the rail network in the US was built. Since then it has not had a need great enough to motivate investing in building new lines.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #5096
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

UNITED STATES | High Speed Rail

Well that makes sense. There would have to be private investment for something like that like in FL or they do what they've done since 1971.
Old November 27th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #5097
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
Well, it's the Dallas-Houston line that's the "Real McCoy". The distance between Dallas and Forth Worth is so short that it makes little difference if the trains run at 300 km/h or a more conventional 180 km/h. Conversely the trip length between Dallas and Houston is comparable to some of the more successful Japanese and European point-to-point connections.

FM 2258, sweet-d liked this post
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #5098
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Even though I live in Austin, I'm excited to see this line take off first and have it's success trickle over to the IH 35 corridor.

dollaztx liked this post
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #5099
CollegeBoy
Bad Moon Rising

Likes (Received): 139

Maybe there is hope I'll see HSR before my 100th birthday.

DJ Technotik - Soundcloud
CollegeBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #5100
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeBoy View Post
Maybe there is hope I'll see HSR before my 100th birthday.
Are you 80 yrs old?

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states