daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 13th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #5261
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Which state was that?
I think he's referring to Wisconsin, probably.

gippas liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #5262
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Without a Barkersfield- Los Angeles basin link, it won't be possible to travel from SF to LA even on mixed tracks. There is absolutely no space on the freight lines to accommodate passenger traffic out of the basin. The Tehachappi traverse is very slow and utterly busy with freight trains already. The BNSF line over Cajun pass is also extremely busy.
Old January 13th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #5263
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Without a Barkersfield- Los Angeles basin link, it won't be possible to travel from SF to LA even on mixed tracks. There is absolutely no space on the freight lines to accommodate passenger traffic out of the basin. The Tehachappi traverse is very slow and utterly busy with freight trains already. The BNSF line over Cajun pass is also extremely busy.
A new route over Tehachapi is planned, and will be built as soon as money is available, I expect. The difficulty comes once you get over the mountains into the LA basin.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #5264
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5750

What's the plan in the interim? To run HSR via the Tehachapi loop?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:49 AM   #5265
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Nothing. It's only going to be a few years. Improved buses, I guess. But the Central Valley market is growing already.

Old January 14th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #5266
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

We could also see changes as the project picks up steam. It could be that once it's being built, the people will demand it to be built out. The key thing for this project is just STARTING it.

It's a shame that it won't be super-awesome on Day 1, but hopefully it will eventually be a shining beacon for other places in the States... like for example, the Midwest which already has a decent commuter network (read: Amtrak acts as a feeder).

Ironically, HSR has the potential to make Amtrak and commuter rail MORE competitive and viable! Why? Amtrak no longer has the pressure to keep good services on intercity lines and can focus on more profitable commuter runs, as well as feeding HSR stations.

If you look at Japan, HSR has helped make private rail companies like Kintetsu, Keihan, Nankai, Keisei and others both profitable and competitive. Look at the largest private operator: Kintetsu. Their network feeds three major HSR stations in Osaka, Kyoto and Nagoya:

Unfortunately, the US has more of a quarterly culture, both in business and building infrastructure. It's hard to get business to take a losses on quarters for big gains a few years from now. Investors are more interested in the here and now and what you've done for me lately.

It's even harder to get something approved and started that will span over several elections.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:32 AM   #5267
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

When will the sections from Fresno to Bakersfield be complete? I read that the Texas HSR line could be complete by 2021, but I haven't heard anything for a while on the progress. Any updates?
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #5268
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Amtrak no longer has the pressure to keep good services on intercity lines and can focus on more profitable commuter runs, as well as feeding HSR stations.
I suppose you mean Amtrak "commuter" to be high frequency short distance intercity runs i.e. Chicago-St. Louis or Detroit-Chicago, and "intercity" to be the loss-making long distance transcontinental runs . At least in the U.S., no one makes money running the typical AM suburb to city and PM city to suburb services that constitute the majority of commuter operations.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #5269
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
There's more to the US than Fresno.
Yes. That is probably why the high speed lines connect lots of cities.

Quote:
That I'm not pessimistic about HSR in the US in general, just this particular HSR in particular.
Uh huh. And yet you seem to have some large gaps in your knowledge about it.

Quote:
No. The plan is to not run high speed trains until the tracks reach LA. Once that is done a limited HSR service will run from LA to Merced until the tracks reach San Jose. At that point the entire SF to LA trip can be made using upgraded tracks at the very ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post
When will the sections from Fresno to Bakersfield be complete? I read that the Texas HSR line could be complete by 2021, but I haven't heard anything for a while on the progress. Any updates?
Fresno to Bakersfield will be complete by 2017. By then the Bakersfield to Palmdale segment will be under construction too.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #5270
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
No. The plan is to not run high speed trains until the tracks reach LA. Once that is done a limited HSR service will run from LA to Merced until the tracks reach San Jose. At that point the entire SF to LA trip can be made using upgraded tracks at the very ends.
That's not very smart if true. Why not let Amtrak use the new section from Madera to Bakersfield? It would allow huge time savings for that service and prove that infrastructure works. The gap between the first section opening and reaching LA will be at least 5 years I think. Other option would be to run Fresno-Bakersfield service say 10 times a day in each direction just as a trial.

Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #5271
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Amtrak and high speed rail will likely use vastly different systems. How would they test the trains if Amtrak is running on the lines? On paper it sounds like a good idea but in real terms it isn't really practical. There is a lot of testing and work on the tracks and pieces that are system wide and require access to the tracks.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #5272
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
Amtrak and high speed rail will likely use vastly different systems. How would they test the trains if Amtrak is running on the lines? On paper it sounds like a good idea but in real terms it isn't really practical. There is a lot of testing and work on the tracks and pieces that are system wide and require access to the tracks.
There is a lot of testing, but not 5 years of constant testing (usually about a year) and that would be done before anything runs on it. Spending billions and then not using it would be PR disaster. They should definitely run something on it if for no other reason than to demonstrate to still sceptical public how fast and convenient it is. The gauge is identical so I'm sure Amtrak could be adapted to run on it, just not as fast.

Old January 15th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #5273
rbt4mak786

Likes (Received): 4

Great i really like it thanks for share..
Old January 16th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #5274
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
That's not very smart if true. Why not let Amtrak use the new section from Madera to Bakersfield? It would allow huge time savings for that service and prove that infrastructure works. The gap between the first section opening and reaching LA will be at least 5 years I think. Other option would be to run Fresno-Bakersfield service say 10 times a day in each direction just as a trial.
Actually, the plan is to let Amtrak use the tracks (except for when trainset testing and qualifications is taking place) until the tracks are converted to high speed only. In fact that is why the ICS is being staged the way it is. So that the tracks at either end can be tied into the BNSF line that currently carries the San Joaquin.

phoenixboi08, jchernin liked this post
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #5275
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

If nothing else this will allow the San Joaquin to have a dedicated ROW!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #5276
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
If nothing else this will allow the San Joaquin to have a dedicated ROW!
Exactly! I suppose San Joaquin trains are capable of at least 80 mph. On a dedicated track that will improve travel time and reduce delays significantly.

Old January 16th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #5277
Tower Dude

The EDM F59PHI locomotives Amtrak California currently uses on the SurfLiner and San Joaquin are capable of 110 MPH (180 KmPH) and the new Siemens Charger locomotives are Capable of 125 MPH (200 KmPH). So ya if they are only able to build Fresno to Bakersville it won't totally in vain. Though I am total hoping for the full build with Termini in San Fransisco, Sacramento Anaheim, and San Diego!

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Old January 17th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #5278
Sunfuns

Of course a full length needs to be built for the project to make any financial sense, but stuff like this is a valuable add-on.

Old January 17th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #5279
00Zy99

Won't the heavy conventional stock wreck the track?

Also, won't this lock the system into using low-platform stock when the N700 is favorite, and is high-platform?

And doesn't the San Joaquin make more stops than the HSR will?

Old January 17th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #5280
Tower Dude

I believe that the route for the HSR line is pretty much based off the I San Joaquin and then some, as far the new track is concerned I'm pretty sure it would be stronger than the regular track as to be resistant to the seismic vibration created by trains at that speed. As for the platforms...you got me there

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states