daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 17th, 2015, 04:22 AM   #5281
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

No, I'm asking if the San Joaquin makes more stops along the Central Valley then the HSR.

So between Merced and Bakersfield, the San Joaquin makes X many stops, and how many does HSR make?

What will happen to those stops that are bypassed?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #5282
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Ya they are they are gonna be bypassed though they will still be serviced by the San Joaquin. Also I spoke too soon on the platform issue, if the CHSRA chooses the N700 it really doesn't make sense to run the San Joaquin on the line, but if they choose trains made by Siemens, Bombardier, Alstom or Talgo it somewhat makes sense since those trains are made for low platform boarding. BUT the Authority doesn't want low platform trains and whether or not those companies will decide to make high platform trains? Your guess is a good as mine!!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:47 AM   #5283
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Isn't part of the reason they are low boarding because they're just simple locomotive driven cars? The N700 cars are EMUs. This distributes the weight of the train allowing you to construct lighter track structures as they don't need to support heavy locomotives. It also means you have superior acceleration. France's newest AGV is the same as they've seen the benefits and advantages that the Japanese trains have.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:23 AM   #5284
Tower Dude

You are most definitely right about the EMUs, after that things get a little more woogy. In the debate of High v. Low platforms it seems to be a matter of preference, tradition or money, modern High Speed EMUs in Italy, Switzerland, Spain, and Germany all use low platforms while a lot of rail lines in the northeast have high platforms that only serve push/pull trains. So ya it gets kinda confusing.

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Old January 17th, 2015, 09:16 AM   #5285
2co2co

Likes (Received): 225

Would this count as a "high speed rail" project?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30849171

2co2co no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #5286
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

San Joaquin is unlikely to still run in the Central valley after full opening of California HS rail. Here is San Joaquin route with all stops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Joa...an_Joaquin.svg

HSR between Merced and Bakersfield will have stations in Fresno and possibly a new station at Kings/Tulare close to Hanford. That leaves out only Corcoran and Wasco. Those two small towns (25k each) will have to switch to buses I think.

One issue I hope they do take care off is that conventional trains from Sacramento and HS line meet in some station (Merced?) so that passengers can conveniently change from one service to another.

Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #5287
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Excellent compendium you shouldn't miss: California High-Speed Rail: The Collector's Edition

Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #5288
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

high speed rail in USA is a bad joke. Already 5 years ago I said they should have started building in the part Los Angeles - Central Valley. If they had done that, they could have something working. The way it currently it, they might build the valley part and then run out of funds and leave an useless skeleton.

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #5289
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
they might build the valley part and then run out of funds and leave an useless skeleton.
Or they might not. Given the irremediable congestion at the airports serving flights connecting northern and southern California, I think HSR on that route is inevitable. Even if the built segment of the presently-planned HSR route languishes for a while, I think the odds are overwhelming it will eventually be completed. Of course, the longer it is delayed, the more it will ultimately cost.

Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 08:55 AM   #5290
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
high speed rail in USA is a bad joke. Already 5 years ago I said they should have started building in the part Los Angeles - Central Valley. If they had done that, they could have something working. The way it currently it, they might build the valley part and then run out of funds and leave an useless skeleton.
I get where you're coming from, and while I agree that is a scary thought, I would like to point out that it was exactly this kind of fear decades ago that have caused the delays you are complaining about now.

Although I find some details a little fishy with CHSRA (such as one of the bids coming in at 1,234,567,800; come on, seriously?), overall I feel that they are trying their best to reach out to the affected communities. It just seems a pity that most of the affected residents, instead of trying to be cooperative with the Authority and work together to find a solution, choose rather to try waste time and money fighting a war of attrition that benefits no one.

It's one thing to be an NIMBY, and sue for adequate compensation/protection. That I can understand and completely sympathize with. It's another to tell HSR supporters to "Go eat sh*t and die" and to drag to the Supreme Court with the sole intention of killing the project.

CNB30, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #5291
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
I get where you're coming from, and while I agree that is a scary thought, I would like to point out that it was exactly this kind of fear decades ago that have caused the delays you are complaining about now.

Although I find some details a little fishy with CHSRA (such as one of the bids coming in at 1,234,567,800; come on, seriously?), overall I feel that they are trying their best to reach out to the affected communities. It just seems a pity that most of the affected residents, instead of trying to be cooperative with the Authority and work together to find a solution, choose rather to try waste time and money fighting a war of attrition that benefits no one.

It's one thing to be an NIMBY, and sue for adequate compensation/protection. That I can understand and completely sympathize with. It's another to tell HSR supporters to "Go eat sh*t and die" and to drag to the Supreme Court with the sole intention of killing the project.
I Think this is all a plan for the UN Agenda 21 to be pushed down our throats, people need to wake up.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #5292
Tower Dude

EGADS!! You're right!! I'M OFF to the wilds with my Barrett .50 cal, my gallons of distilled unfluoridated water, my tons of potted meat, and army surplus hummer!! OH and I almost forgot my greatest weapon of all, MY TINFOIL HAT!!

Old January 19th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #5293
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperhighrise View Post
I Think this is all a plan for the UN Agenda 21 to be pushed down our throats, people need to wake up.
Not this Agenda 21 Bullshit again...
Visit the New Jersey Section

Silly_Walks, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 04:56 AM   #5294
00Zy99

Quote:
I Think this is all a plan for the UN Agenda 21 to be pushed down our throats.
This is a good thing. Why are you saying it like it's bad?
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #5295
Tower Dude

Because he's Crazy! like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Ron Paul, Aynn Rand, Charles and David Koch Kinda Crazy!

Old January 19th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #5296
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Guys the New World order is obviously going to enslave us all with agenda 21. Alex Jones told me so

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #5297
Tower Dude

I knew I forgot to add someone to that list!

Old January 19th, 2015, 05:12 PM   #5298
00Zy99

Quote:
Before you gripe about something like this, how about you sit down, take a deep breath, and read the actual document with an open mind. Then decide if it has to be opposed.

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #5299
jam5

Likes (Received): 534

Quote:

Tell me this is sarcasm.
Old January 19th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #5300
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam5 View Post

Tell me this is sarcasm.
it's true and it is no conspiracy theory, it is a fact, they are kicking people off their lands for this scheme, thank god Silver Swordsman and sekelsenmat
are the only ones besides me that is speaking truth.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states