daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 24th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #5321
lunarwhite

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdery View Post
^THIS

Let's get this topic back on track to a discussion of construction activity and, more importantly, pictures of that construction activity.
It appears that there are threads devoted to California High Speed Rail construction (as opposed to debate on its merits). These are on the Transportation-Infrastucture subforum and the West Coast and Interior West subforum.

But there is no separate thread for construction posts for California High Speed Rail on the Railways subforum.

By default all posts debating the merits and any construction posts on the Railways subforum are lumped into the United States High Speed Rail thread.

Maybe Railways needs its own California High Speed Rail construction thread.
lunarwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #5322
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarwhite View Post
It appears that there are threads devoted to California High Speed Rail construction (as opposed to debate on its merits). These are on the Transportation-Infrastucture subforum and the West Coast and Interior West subforum.

But there is no separate thread for construction posts for California High Speed Rail on the Railways subforum.

By default all posts debating the merits and any construction posts on the Railways subforum are lumped into the United States High Speed Rail thread.

Can we have links to these threads?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #5323
lunarwhite

Under a recent rule change, members cannot post links until we have made 10 posts.

If you go Railways page there is a Thread Finder link. To the right of the city photo banner at the top of the Thred Finder is a search box labeled Google custom search. Enter california high speed rail and click on the returns showing Transportation Infrastucture or West Coast and Interior West.

Page 60 is the most recent for Transportation Infrastucture.

Page 15 is the most recent for West Coast and Interior West.
Old January 25th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #5324
00Zy99

Quote:
Under a recent rule change, members cannot post links until we have made 10 posts.

If you go Railways page there is a Thread Finder link. To the right of the city photo banner at the top of the Thred Finder is a search box labeled Google custom search. Enter california high speed rail and click on the returns showing Transportation Infrastucture or West Coast and Interior West.

Page 60 is the most recent for Transportation Infrastucture.

Page 15 is the most recent for West Coast and Interior West.
This is rather confusing. Maybe you could make additional posts and come back to post the links? You are only two posts short.
Old January 25th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #5325
lunarwhite

I plan to. Or maybe a veteran member can post links to the California High Speed threads on Transportation-lnfrastructure and West Coast and Interior West.
Old January 25th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #5326
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

When did this stupid post thing get put in place???

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:24 AM   #5327
lunarwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
When did this stupid post thing get put in place???
I assume on January 1. I posted my second post on December 25 with a link and had no problem. When I tried to post on January 1 or 2 with a link it rejected it because I did not have 10 posts.

The only reason I can think of is to protect against spam.
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #5328
lunarwhite

Here are links to the current last pages of subforums with posts about California High Speed Rail demolition and groundbreaking.

Transportation-Infrastucture
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...hp?p=120321896

West Coast and Interior West
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...hp?p=118241160

Scroll down to the January posts.
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #5329
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

There is nothing there either for the obvious reason that there is no real ongoing construction yet.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #5330
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:

I have no problem with a civil discussion on the merits of US highspeed rail projects in this thread. My problem was with the thread turning into a Repub vs. Dem shouting match...there are plenty of other websites where people can engage in that type of debate.
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:22 AM   #5331
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
I have no problem with a civil discussion on the merits of US highspeed rail projects in this thread. My problem was with the thread turning into a Repub vs. Dem shouting match...there are plenty of other websites where people can engage in that type of debate.
I personally have no problem with this thread being a Dem vs. Rep shouting match... so long as the shouting pertains to the topic of HSR.

i.e. Republicans suck because they're against just to spite Obama, or how this is a "filthy union job".

CNB30 liked this post
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:22 PM   #5332
lunarwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I think we are still waiting for the NTP (Notice to Proceed). Likely, they are going over the CP details, since it's essentially a contract. Once they've fully reviewed, amended anything/accepted the terms, they'll officially accept it.

Until then, we won't see/hear much of anything.
In Dallas, which has many office and residential towers going up, I have noticed that it takes 30-45 days from the groundbreaking ceremony to the start of actual construction.

I assume CP means Construction Plan.
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #5333
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Any idea of how long that will take?
Technically, CP-1 already began, and 2&3 have not. I think the "Groundbreaking" was more ceremonial/symbolic to mark the beginning of the entire Initial Operating Segment, technically, even though demolition and testing has begun around Fresno.

As for CP-1, we'll probably see that bridge begin to go up near Fresno, first, I've been hearing.

As for CP-2&3, I've been reading the end of Q1; so it may be demolition in the Spring and actual construction later this summer Summer.

Quote:
In Dallas, which has many office and residential towers going up, I have noticed that it takes 30-45 days from the groundbreaking ceremony to the start of actual construction.

I assume CP means Construction Plan.
Construction Package. There are some things in the Design-Build contracts that are interesting, for what it's worth. I've been glancing over them whenever I'm bored.

Tutor-Perini is completing CP-1
Dragados-Flatiron-Shimmick is completing CP-2&3

Old January 31st, 2015, 03:04 AM   #5334
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Construction On All Aboard Florida’s MiamiCentral To Begin Within 45 Days

By TNM Staff on January 27, 2015
Dade’s Rapid Transit Developmental Impact Committee granted final approval for the first phase of All Aboard Florida’s MiamiCentral station at a meeting last week. The meeting lasted less than thirty minutes, including a presentation on the project by Zyscovich Architects.

Construction on the rail portion will begin within 45 days. Under Florida statutes, the railway portion is not subject to local regulations or construction permitting.

http://www.thenextmiami.com/index.ph...ithin-45-days/
Visit the New Jersey Section

k.k.jetcar, Svartmetall liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 28th, 2015 at 02:36 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 04:37 AM   #5335
rocku

Likes (Received): 4

WOW!
rocku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:58 AM   #5336
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Western Mass. lawmakers want to study Boston to Springfield high-speed rail

Springfield area business and civic officials board an Amtrak train to Springfield after their visit to Hartford's Union Station during day-long learning tour of rail terminals as the Springfield Union Station renovation project is under way. December 8, 2014. (Michael S. Gordon / The Republican) (Michael S. Gordon)

By Shira Schoenberg | [email protected]
Follow on Twitter
on January 20, 2015 at 8:00 AM, updated January 20, 2015 at 8:02 AM

A coalition of lawmakers from Western Massachusetts is pushing for a study of the feasibility of expanded Boston to Springfield high-speed rail.

A bill sponsored by newly elected state Sen. Eric Lesser, a Longmeadow Democrat, would require the Department of Transportation to submit a report by Aug. 1, 2015, that includes "an examination and evaluation of the costs and economic, social and cultural benefits" to the Greater Springfield region and the state, according to a bill summary.
http://www.masslive.com/politics/ind...l#incart_river
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, aquaticko, CNB30, alcatmanbg liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 28th, 2015 at 02:36 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #5337
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
China in talks to sell high-speed trains to U.S.

BEIJING —State-owned Chinese firms are in discussions to sell high-speed trains to the United States, senior officials said on Thursday, a deal that would be likely to ignite controversy.

China’s leaders have been promoting the country’s fast rail technologies in meetings with foreign politicians as they seek to move the country’s exports up the value chain, and Chinese companies are building high-speed rail networks in Turkey and Venezuela.

But a contract for a Chinese-led consortium to build a high-speed rail line in Mexico was scrapped only days after it was signed, and a deal to supply subway trains to Boston also generated controversy.

For China to build infrastructure in the United States—where a number of high-speed rail proposals have come to naught—or supply it with rolling stock would be politically sensitive.

But Zhi Luxun, a senior official with the commerce ministry’s foreign trade department, told AFP Thursday: “There are currently discussions with the United States.”....... to read more click here
Any thoughts?
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #5338
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

Most (if not all) the HSR projects in the US have local build requirements for the highspeed train sets. I'm not sure how willing or able the Chinese are to move the manufacturing process to the US as this might limit their price competitiveness.

The fact that the Chinese government is also discouraging the purchase of US IT products in China might also result in a US government retaliation by not considering Chinese train set manufacturers.
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #5339
00Zy99

California has requirements that the rolling stock be in service accident-free for at least five years. China doesn't have that.

Silver Swordsman liked this post
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #5340
NicSA

Likes (Received): 4367

I'd go with Japan
NicSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states