daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 10th, 2015, 01:13 AM   #5501
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Senate Bill Targeting Bullet Train Project Advances

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/04/...oves-senate-f/

Well it was fun ride while it lasted...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:09 AM   #5502
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Backward hicks competing for soundbytes
Old April 10th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #5503
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I've seen things as optimistic as 3 hours from Boston to D.C., which although actually totally feasible, would require a dedicated HSL and new, much straighter ROW. So, feasible, but unlikely considering everything.
To be honest I really don't think 3 hours will cut it. I mean that barely competes with short haul flights. So Acela will remain expensive to run.

A ticket on Acela's current service is double that of Japan for a far inferior product. It's all to do with utilization. You have to have demand that allows business travellers convenient and comfortable quick travel times. The jnvestment pays for itself. I know it is difficult to compare but it feels like most Americans don't really understand hat HSR is meant to replace regional planes not cars.

Quote:
That, right there, is enough to say that it won't happen. If we can't get $100 billion for a proper HSL, why could we get $100 billion for a maglev? I suppose people might buy it more due to the futuristic, super-high-speed image of the maglev, but it wouldn't happen without generous support from the Japanese

in the end people don't take a form of travel because of its futuristic appeal. That rubs off quickly. You have to frame it economically. Although Ido agree with you that it is unlikely, I do think it can be economically feasible. If a private company can decide to construct the maglev in Japan because they feel it will be profitable there must be something to it.

The thing is, at speeds of 500km/h and fully automated, you don't need as many trainsets. The major difference with Japan is that they will be able to siphon traffic from the already popular and crowded Tokaido line. Tickets are apparently only going to command a $10 premium. They forecast running a profit after a few years.

Is believe te deal for the USA is that japan offered to built the BWI - DC link and partially finance the rest.

The thing is, because much of it is tunnelled there potentially is no expensive land acquisition and fewer environmental concerns. Tunnelling seems expensive but these days it is close to surface costs. In Japan they passed a special law which allows them to tunnel 40m below the surface without compensating the landowner above. Especially useful in urban areas.

I know this is pie in the sky for the USA but hay corridor is seriously perfect for a super high speed line. It would completely change transportation in that corridor.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #5504
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Senate Bill Targeting Bullet Train Project Advances

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/04/...oves-senate-f/

Well it was fun ride while it lasted...

At this rate, I've decided to withdraw support for CHSR and TxHSR... and vote for Ted Cruz. I will silently watch from afar as America burns to the ground.

Damn, not enough butter on my popcorn. Refills, anyone?
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #5505
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Theres still some hope for the Northeast/Mid Atlantic...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #5506
Unit8200
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

There should be a highspeed railway from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. The Highway is too busy between these cities.
Unit8200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #5507
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

nothing more than the Southwest Airlines lobby. Its ok when its an oil pipeline, but not this. I have no doubt this HSR will be fine. Eminent Domain isn't needed and they seem to be ready with or without it.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #5508
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
nothing more than the Southwest Airlines lobby. Its ok when its an oil pipeline, but not this. I have no doubt this HSR will be fine. Eminent Domain isn't needed and they seem to be ready with or without it.
How can it ever be not needed? No matter where you build a lot of land will need to be bought from a large number of landowners and it's bound to happen that someone will refuse to sell either for ideological reasons or just to get way more money than the market would indicate.

I already wrote here few months ago that some Texans will fight tooth and nail against this project and it being privately financed will not matter one bit. One of those cases when I'm not all that happy about being right…
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #5509
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
How can it ever be not needed? No matter where you build a lot of land will need to be bought from a large number of landowners and it's bound to happen that someone will refuse to sell either for ideological reasons or just to get way more money than the market would indicate.

I already wrote here few months ago that some Texans will fight tooth and nail against this project and it being privately financed will not matter one bit. One of those cases when I'm not all that happy about being right…
Precisely...this was the same point people were missing about the Hyperloop.

What's more, private companies* do not have police power, and thus can not exercise eminent domain...which may complicate any litigation TXCentral faces.

*if not acting on behalf of the state
Old April 11th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #5510
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I know that, but that isn't my point.
As of now, passenger rail does not get priority on the vast majority of the rail network: it does in most other countries that have a maintained ROW.
Actually, it's supposed to.

Quote:
U.S. high court orders new review in Amtrak vs. freight trains dispute
March 9, 2015 12:43 PM

The U.S. Supreme Court at least temporarily revived a federal law credited with improving Amtrak’s on-time performance, setting aside a lower court ruling that had marked a victory for the freight railroad industry.

Today’s unanimous ruling sends the case back to the appeals court level, where freight carriers will have another chance to topple a law they say unfairly forces them to delay their own traffic.

A 2008 law directs Amtrak to work with the Federal Railroad Administration to create standards that let Amtrak keep priority over freight trains along common railroad tracks. That upset the freight railroad industry, which argues that Amtrak is a private organization that could not regulate competitor’s actions.

A federal appeals court sided with the freight railroads, ruling that Congress unconstitutionally gave regulatory power to a private company.

The Supreme Court disagreed, finding that even though Amtrak is subject to government oversight, it is like a government entity. While Congress created Amtrak in 1970 as a for-profit corporation, Amtrak is subject to government oversight, receives billions of dollars in federal subsidies and its board is nominated by the president.

The justices left broader constitutional questions unresolved, leaving that for the appeals court to decide.

Under the regulations, if on-time passenger train performance averages less than 80 percent for two consecutive quarters, the federal Surface Transportation Board may investigate whether freight railroads caused the delays. Freight railroads could have to pay damages to Amtrak.

The government said the regulation simply helped to enforce existing law, which already guarantees passenger trains a preference over freight trains on shared tracks.
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tra...s/201503090130
Old April 11th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #5511
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit8200 View Post
There should be a highspeed railway from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. The Highway is too busy between these cities.
It's so obvious (because the area of Las Vegas at interest is small enough that people going there don't require a car) that a private developer/operator has been promising to do it and someday may. Because it involves 2 states and wouldn't benefit CA that much, I doubt government will pay for it unless it would be the city of Las Vegas.
Old April 11th, 2015, 04:16 AM   #5512
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post

I see a few issues

1) The purpose would be for a railway company. If BNSF and UP already have eminent domain powers, then you are discriminating a railway company and constitute a violation of the 14th amendment.

2) Southwest has no reason to fight this. Short haul flying simply is not profitable. They currently have 4 flights from DAL on the half-hour to HOU. Those flights could go longer distances to other parts of the country and increase profitability which is why you don't hear them being vocal.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #5513
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
...because the area of Las Vegas at interest is small...a private developer/operator has been promising to do it and someday may. Because it involves 2 states and wouldn't benefit CA that much, I doubt government will pay for it unless it would be the city of Las Vegas.

Isn't the whole desert xpress between Victorville, CA and Vegas all about connecting to LA? One gets the feeling that they're waiting for CAHSR to get some momentum before we see movement.

They'd obviously prefer to take advantage of CAHSR building the expensive part of the line down to LA.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #5514
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Precisely...this was the same point people were missing about the Hyperloop.

What's more, private companies* do not have police power, and thus can not exercise eminent domain...which may complicate any litigation TXCentral faces.

*if not acting on behalf of the state
Electric interurban railroads, such as a high speed line, explicitly have eminent domain power in the State of Texas. That's why there's a bill in the Legislature to begin with.

sweet-d liked this post
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #5515
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Electric interurban railroads, such as a high speed line, explicitly have eminent domain power in the State of Texas. That's why there's a bill in the Legislature to begin with.
See footnote.
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:58 AM   #5516
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
Isn't the whole desert xpress between Victorville, CA and Vegas all about connecting to LA? One gets the feeling that they're waiting for CAHSR to get some momentum before we see movement. They'd obviously prefer to take advantage of CAHSR building the expensive part of the line down to LA.
There have been murmurs that the xpresswest project is back from the grave, but I've only head it mentioned in passing (namely, by someone at CAHSRA when mentioning why the "Golden Spike" at Palmdale made sense).

I imagine we'll see the talk grow if (well, when, really) the Palmdale section gets fast-tracked to be included with CP-4/5. It's looking like this will likely be the case.
Old April 12th, 2015, 05:59 AM   #5517
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
See footnote.
Sec. 131.012. EMINENT DOMAIN. A corporation chartered for the purpose of constructing, acquiring, maintaining, or operating lines of electric railway between municipalities in this state for the transportation of freight, passengers, or both freight and passengers may:
(1) exercise the power of eminent domain with all the rights and powers granted by law to a railroad company; and
(2) enter, condemn, and appropriate land, right-of-way, easements, or other property of any person or corporation to acquire:
(A) right-of-way on which to construct and operate lines of railway for the acquiring corporation; or
(B) sites for depots or power plants.

Added by Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 85 (S.B. 1540), Sec. 2.03, eff. April 1, 2011.

It's not simply acting on behalf of the state. Any company whose chartered purpose is to construct an electric railway between two cities in the State of Texas has the legal authority to conduct eminent domain takings for right-of-way. TCR is not acting at the state's behest.

sweet-d liked this post
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:11 AM   #5518
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

It's actually kinda sad, my first real HSR ride was on the Acela a little over 8 years ago, at a time where China has zero HSR service, now eight years later there are no comparison between the two countries. The shortsightedness of some American politicians are truly something.

G5man, FM 2258, xxcopetexx, Manitopiaaa liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #5519
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

It not short sightedness its a Koch addiction

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

CNB30 liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #5520
reackt

Likes (Received): 53

maybe when air travel becomes too expensive for the average person, serious thought will be put into railways, especially high speed
reackt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states