daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM   #541
zzelenika

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
True, night trains don't need HSRs but I think one should think about them. Is there btw the chance of a high speed night train? With the growing European network it should be possible to really go as far as ~ 3000-4000 km in one night. Why aren't there any plans in this regard. Are there technical limitations or are the companies just not creative enough?
Today, you can cover cca 1200km overnight in a night train in Europe in CNL/EN network, and this effectively takes you from one end to the other (Vienna to Hamburg, Berlin to Paris, Kopenhagen to Basel in example). There are no HSR sleepers, as HS lines (where they are exclusively HSL and not mixed-traffic) are usually closed for maintenance overnight, hence night trains do use classical line.

There is however a plan for overnight Moscow-Berlin using Talgo variable-gauge rolling stock which today takes minimum of 27hrs to be brought down to more reasonable 16-18hrs (though it passes through several countries so it depends on all of them - Germany, Poland, Belarus and Russia to build up the line, so it's a question when it would become HSL all the way). It would connect all 4 capitals plus important cities en route, hence such HSL would be usefull both for international and national networks.

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM   #542
JMFA

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

True, night trains don't need HSRs but I think one should think about them. Is there btw the chance of a high speed night train? With the growing European network it should be possible to really go as far as ~ 3000-4000 km in one night. Why aren't there any plans in this regard. Are there technical limitations or are the companies just not creative enough?

In HSL, the night period (4-5h) is used for the maintenance of the track, wich must be carried every day, and therefore, its not suitable to have ordinary trains running in that period.
JMFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #543
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5953

Thats a pity. Why does it need such frequent and long maintenance time? What exactly is done during that time? Is it cleaned?

With a bit of smart planning I'd guess one or two night highspeed trains should be possible though. But maybe that does not pay of. But I would have loved to see that concept being realized.
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #544
zzelenika

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Thats a pity.
But I suppose You'd much rather be happy than right any day.
Old June 25th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #545
Slartibartfas

Quote:
"Liberals tend to romanticize trains (because the French use them) and conservatives tend to disparage them (because the French use them)."
I love this quote from that Time article: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...906025,00.html
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #546
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

When they will start building it?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #547
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

The should make a 180Mph+ New York - Chicago route!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #548
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
I love this quote from that Time article: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...906025,00.html
LOL
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #549
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Thats a pity. Why does it need such frequent and long maintenance time? What exactly is done during that time? Is it cleaned?

With a bit of smart planning I'd guess one or two night highspeed trains should be possible though. But maybe that does not pay of. But I would have loved to see that concept being realized.
The DAILY night maintenance is the price to pay for the H in HSR.

200km/h and you "check" monthly (or even don't check at all)

250km/h or up and you "check" daily or suffer the consequences.

"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #550
Slartibartfas

So its mostly just checking that everything is ok, simply because the risk gets to high that it may not? Well, I can understand that.
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #551
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
So its mostly just checking that everything is ok, simply because the risk gets to high that it may not? Well, I can understand that.
Not just checking but also maintance of the rail such as grinding out marred surface of the rail at corners due to friction between rail and wheel.

Even at 200Km/h it requires extensive maintance or the trains risks becoming derailed.
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #552
interesting monster
train freak

Likes (Received): 0

You think us Americans have the stomach for that can of maintenance? Ever been on an interstate lately? How's about a plain old NY sidewalk?
interesting monster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #553
hoosier

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Liberals like HSR because they are pragmatic and can discern the clear benefits and advantages this form of transportation has over air and automobile travel.

Conservatives bash France because they are a bunch of ******* morons who couldn't locate that country on a map if their lives depended on it.
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #554
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by interesting monster View Post
You think us Americans have the stomach for that can of maintenance? Ever been on an interstate lately? How's about a plain old NY sidewalk?
It's either maintenance or the passengers plays a constant game of Russian roulette.

Seriously, neglected rail on HSR tracks is a recipe for derailment where the question is not "IF" but "When" will it derail.
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #555
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Liberals like HSR because they are pragmatic and can discern the clear benefits and advantages this form of transportation has over air and automobile travel.

Conservatives bash France because they are a bunch of ******* morons who couldn't locate that country on a map if their lives depended on it.
Hey, it was a joke. Take it easy
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #556
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 47

The only way this whole plan is possible is if Sec. LaHoode doesn't delay the transportation bill and creates some real reform in transportation.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #557
Sergu
The progress is cool

Likes (Received): 1

We know that HSR for Los Angeles-NY is not competitive but Washington-New York or Portland-Vancouver, Houston-Dallas or San Francisco-San Diego are very interesting.
Sergu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #558
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post

Liberals are obviously also open minded and tolerant of the views of those who disagree with them, LOL.

To the topic. HSR has a great and immediate benefit from Boston to DC, that corridor should be developed into a true HSR corridor as soon as practical and financially feasible. Of course, under this administration ANYTHING is suddenly financially feasible so I guess we could start building it right now. Let's not build it just to build it, or build it just because France has it (where is France anyway?), let's build it where it makes sense and go from there. Japan and France didn't wake up one morning and suddenly have HSR networks, it took time. Let's start with the busiest rail corridor we have, transform it and see if it works. It likely will and then we can go from there.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:45 AM   #559
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

i agree^ the NEC should be priority and deserves the first 220mph+ track, not some retarded STL connection to chicago or whatever other HSR projects that politicians propose to seem "forward thinking"
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:00 AM   #560
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Well they do not have the plans or studies right now and have not gotten there act together. Whoever has there act together and best proposals first will receive the funds.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states