daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #5581
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
And Soon to be a 160 mph zone
So Excited , it gives a nice breeze when it passes by...which was more then welcome...
Visit the New Jersey Section

CNB30, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:17 AM   #5582
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
So Excited , it gives a nice breeze when it passes by...which was more then welcome...
If only they could upgrade the entire thing between NYC and Philli, instead of like a third of it though (Either way, still an amazing step).

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:19 AM   #5583
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
If only they could upgrade the entire thing between NYC and Philli, instead of like a third of it though (Either way, still an amazing step).
They should upgraded it down to Tacony....before the twists and turns of North Philly & from New Brunswick up to Elizabeth.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #5584
CNB30

Quote:
They should upgraded it down to Tacony....before the twists and turns of North Philly & from New Brunswick up to Elizabeth.
That would honestly be amazing!!!!

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

Tommy Boy liked this post

Last edited by CNB30; May 10th, 2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #5585
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
That would honestly be amazing!!!!
I don't know why they picked such a small starting segment , when it could have been larger...

CNB30 liked this post
Old May 10th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #5586
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5955

Forgive me if this issue was handled in this thread already, but what is the current state of train regulations? Do they still have to use tank on tracks or are reasonable train designs allowed nowadays? Is this only a problem if the tracks are shared with freight rail?

These "safety" regulations are (were?) so out of the world I hope the got rid of them or at least get rid of them soon. I wonder if there is also some aviation regulation which demands airplanes to be built in a way that they do not bend or disintegrate in the event of a crash ...
Old May 11th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #5587
lunarwhite

Likes (Received): 29

Here is a report on the start of construction of the California High Speed project.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...oject-to-start
lunarwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #5588
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10376

Quote:
Its an Expensive mistake , given Amtrak's plan would reduce travel times to 80mins....and Cost significantly cheaper...then the Maglev. Why don't the Japanese invest in that cash cow? Why are they pushing for the more expensive plan which they will not fully pay for...
80 minutes by when though? 2060? Amtrak is just too slow. Our "Hi-Speed Rail" from our capital to our largest city is WORSE than what I find here in Italy traveling from some two-bit provincial town to another two-bit provincial town. It's embarrassing. And all we get are glossy reports from Amtrak to improve travel times. But the savings are miniscule. 10 minutes saved by 2025 or something like that. It's rather infuriating.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

FM 2258, CNB30 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #5589
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
80 minutes by when though? 2060? Amtrak is just too slow. Our "Hi-Speed Rail" from our capital to our largest city is WORSE than what I find here in Italy traveling from some two-bit provincial town to another two-bit provincial town. It's embarrassing. And all we get are glossy reports from Amtrak to improve travel times. But the savings are miniscule. 10 minutes saved by 2025 or something like that. It's rather infuriating.
In the end, I don't think it will end up being that much cheaper, to be honest. Especially when you factor in operational cost, additional trainsets required etc. The Japanese REALLY want to sell their MagLev technology and they have a GREAT relationship with the US already and want to further strengthen ties given the historically bad relationship with China and the difficulty it is for Japan to enter that market.

Building tunnels is actually roughly equivalent to building above ground or on viaducts (and cheaper through urban areas) especially if it's possible to do what Japan did and pass a law that doesn't require you to compensate landowners if you're 40m underground (that's REALLY deep). Tunnels just take longer to build.

Additionally, the MagLev will be automated (no driver), safe, unobtrusive, and completely change travel in the area in a way that HSR just can't do at speeds of 300km/h.

As for cost, it's telling that JR Central has stated that a MagLev ticket will cost Ą1000 ($10) more than a regular ticket. They are obviously going to realize considerable cost savings on operation.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #5590
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40760

Any news about the Amtrak NextGen High-Speed Rail project between Washington D.C. and Boston?

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/453/325/...t-Corridor.pdf

CNB30 liked this post
Rodalvesdepaula está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #5591
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
Any news about the Amtrak NextGen High-Speed Rail project between Washington D.C. and Boston? http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/453/325/...t-Corridor.pdf
As of now, all the scoping for the corridor is being pushed forward by the "NEC Future" study. The actual alternative routes should come out, soon with a bit more info.

For now, we just have some vague idea of their findings: integration of commuter service, route alternatives, etc.

The Amtrak plan doesn't have any legs...the FRA seems interested in pre-emtping any major capital projects so that any improvements made by a single agency has "knock-on" effects (i.e. that it's coordinated and implemented as part of the big picture plan).

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #5592
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Hum, I understood.

I've been seeing the NextGen project... This new HSR tunnel below Manhattan is unnecessary! Nowadays, every work below Manhattan is costing a lot of money. In my opinion, It's better to upgrade East River Tunnels and North River Tunnel for HSR, with a new two-lane "tube" for LIRR/NJ Transit commuter trains. Amtrak Empire Service and Lake Shore Limited could go back to Grand Central Terminal.

Also, some long-distance Amtrak trains (Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Crescent...) could move their terminal for Hoboken Terminal, integrated with PATH (the ticket would include a PATH ticket to Manhattan). So, Penn Station could receive the HSR, NJ Transit/LIRR commuter trains and the Amtrak Maple Leaf/Adirondack.
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:01 AM   #5593
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Hum, I understood.

I've been seeing the NextGen project... This new HSR tunnel below Manhattan is unnecessary! Nowadays, every work below Manhattan is costing a lot of money. In my opinion, It's better to upgrade East River Tunnels and North River Tunnel for HSR, with a new two-lane "tube" for LIRR/NJ Transit commuter trains. Amtrak Empire Service and Lake Shore Limited could go back to Grand Central Terminal.

Also, some long-distance Amtrak trains (Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Crescent...) could move their terminal for Hoboken Terminal, integrated with PATH (the ticket would include a PATH ticket to Manhattan). So, Penn Station could receive the HSR, NJ Transit/LIRR commuter trains and the Amtrak Maple Leaf/Adirondack.
The New Tunnel Under Manhattan & East River is needed for the FRA LI Route along with added capacity. I would rather have Empire Service rerouted to Grand Central rather then Lake Shore Limited. I think Long Distance should stay at Penn Station. Any Future HSR lines up to Montreal or Western NY / Ontario should leave out of Grand Central. Hoboken Would be good idea for Long Distance Trains , the station itself needs to be High Level Platformed and raised 5ft above the ground...to Flood Proof it. It floods even during Sudden Down Pours...

phoenixboi08, Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #5594
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
2030.... Welcome to the sad state of the US Infrastructure... I Believe theres a backlog of 1.8 trillion in projects just for the Northeast alone which could easily be done in 10 years with political will. But no one really wants to do anything about it....although I have a feeling New England will just do it eventually. Connecticut , Rhode Island , Massachusetts & Maine seem to be dumping 10s of billions into their road & rail projects over the last few years with plans for 100s of billions more.
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:06 AM   #5595
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9374

How bad is the derailment that happened recently in Philly?

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #5596
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Quote:
The New Tunnel Under Manhattan & East River is needed for the FRA LI Route along with added capacity. I would rather have Empire Service rerouted to Grand Central rather then Lake Shore Limited. I think Long Distance should stay at Penn Station. Any Future HSR lines up to Montreal or Western NY / Ontario should leave out of Grand Central. Hoboken Would be good idea for Long Distance Trains , the station itself needs to be High Level Platformed and raised 5ft above the ground...to Flood Proof it. It floods even during Sudden Down Pours...
Another option could make all long-distance Amtrak trains toward South (Crescent, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Palmetto, Carolinian) to finish their journeys in Washington Union Station. Passengers of these trains to Philadelphia and New York could make a "free" transfer to HSR to complete their trips, including the Washington-NY section fare on the ticket.

Really, Hoboken Station has serious flooding problems. I remember that this station was badly damaged because Sandy hurricane.
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:53 AM   #5597
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post
How bad is the derailment that happened recently in Philly?
50 Injuried...Mutiple cars off the tracks , a few cars are tipped over...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7270804.html
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #5598
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Another option could make all long-distance Amtrak trains toward South (Crescent, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Palmetto, Carolinian) to finish their journeys in Washington Union Station. Passengers of these trains to Philadelphia and New York could make a "free" transfer to HSR to complete their trips, including the Washington-NY section fare on the ticket.

Really, Hoboken Station has serious flooding problems. I remember that this station was badly damaged because Sandy hurricane.
I thought about that , but I think that hurt the services... Having it Terminate in Hoboken would preserve and even boost Ridership.

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:53 AM   #5599
ryaboisse

Likes (Received): 92

It looks like a new Cities Sprinter locomotive was involved in the Philly Derailment.
ryaboisse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:56 AM   #5600
CNB30

Such a shame to hear, and odd, considering I was on that same line a few months ago.

Either way, let's hope that the death toll is capped at where it is now, and that everyone else onboard be given any help needed.

Feel The Bern #2016

ryaboisse liked this post

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states