daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #5661
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Should be four, built by PRR.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #5662
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonerMiles View Post
Fantastic picture, wouldn't the East River Tunnels be extremely congested with only two single bores?
There are FOUR single bores under the East River.

The two-track stretch is West from Pennsylvania Station, under the HUDSON RIVER (western/NJ portal seen here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...er_Tunnels.jpg

and across the Meadowlands

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...er_Tunnels.jpg

(and the infamous Portal Bridge

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...om_I95_jeh.jpg
) to Newark.

Of course, this isn't to say that there isn't a lot of congestion on BOTH sides of Manhattan. The two tracks to the west are trying to carry the load from a four-track main line and several branches. The East River tunnels are trying to carry a four-track main, a two-track main, and a major yard-access lead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_Bridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_River_Tunnels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_River_Tunnels

Quote:
I find American railways so much more interesting to my own in Britain. After privatisation in the mid 1990s all our trains are bland and boring European built multiple units.
While we certainly do have an interesting system, you should consider yourself fortunate to have so much more (relative) passenger service than us.

mrsmartman, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #5663
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Of course, this isn't to say that there isn't a lot of congestion on BOTH sides of Manhattan. The two tracks to the west are trying to carry the load from a four-track main line and several branches. The East River tunnels are trying to carry a four-track main, a two-track main, and a major yard-access lead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_Bridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_River_Tunnels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_River_Tunnels
Other than the obvious insistence on not cooperating, why has no one seriously pushed for through-service for some NJT and LIRR services?

At the very least, adding a place for LIRR trains to turn around west of the Hudson/Penn Station (Secaucus or even Newark) and a place for NJT trains to turn around east of Penn Station (Jamaica Station) would go a long way in solving congestion and rationalizing time-tables/fares by carrying more passengers with fewer trains, overall.

In all honestly, most of those regional/commuter agencies should just be run as one service (e.g. the SBahn services in many German cities).

I've always wondered just how much "duplication" could be squashed by through-running. I know PB is at least thinking about this in the NECFuture study, but I've only gotten some tight-lip responses, so I have no clue how aggressively they'll push for it.

mrsmartman, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #5664
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Other than the obvious insistence on not cooperating, why has no one seriously pushed for through-service for some NJT and LIRR services?
The schedules and service patterns and characteristics are very different. Not to mention the different technical specifications.

Quote:
At the very least, adding a place for LIRR trains to turn around west of the Hudson/Penn Station (Secaucus or even Newark) and a place for NJT trains to turn around east of Penn Station (Jamaica Station) would go a long way in solving congestion and rationalizing time-tables/fares by carrying more passengers with fewer trains, overall.
While this sounds like a good idea in theory, the only place of these three where there would be any room at all would be at Secaucus. There is no room at all at either Newark or Jamaica, not without a HUGE (we're talking "a new Penn Station" huge) outlay and (politically tough) land acquisition. And Secaucus would require a new pair of tunnels under the Hudson dedicated to the LIRR IN ADDITION to the current pair and the Gateway Project tubes (which will quickly fill up with Amtrak and NJTransit runs).

Quote:
In all honestly, most of those regional/commuter agencies should just be run as one service (e.g. the SBahn services in many German cities).

I've always wondered just how much "duplication" could be squashed by through-running. I know PB is at least thinking about this in the NECFuture study, but I've only gotten some tight-lip responses, so I have no clue how aggressively they'll push for it.
The SBahn arose from a single unified organization over a much longer period of time, unlike the current systems in the US. Here there is much more inertia in organization and travel patterns.

As an example, I'll point to SEPTA in Philadelphia, which attempted to move towards an S-Bahn system with the opening of the Center City Commuter Connection tunnel in 1984. This united the old PRR and Reading commuter networks into a single system. However, traffic patterns proved otherwise, and today only about 1/3 of all trains run through on their originally designated routes. Others travel off onto various opposite branches as needed, or terminate downtown.

That said, this is the HSR thread, not the commuter rail thread, so lets move on.
Old May 29th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #5665
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonerMiles View Post
I find American railways so much more interesting to my own in Britain. After privatisation in the mid 1990s all our trains are bland and boring European built multiple units.
If you ignore the colourful Japanese built multiple units and the European and American built locomotives...

Besides, what we have now is far less samey than the monochrome liveried stock that rolled around in the 70s and 80s.

33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 03:40 AM   #5666
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Ya but it pales in comparison to the glory days of American rail! When the Streamliners sped across our country and into our cities. It would be a very different America if rail had stayed the primary mode of transportation, imagine HSR already connecting most of our major cities with Maglev train routes in construction right now!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #5667
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

It's still difficult to imagine high-speed rail being a useful mode of transportation across the entire country, given our settlement patterns and the giant population hole in the middle. It still makes the most sense to focus on the most densely populated parts of the country, even if that were to mean everything east of the Mississippi, the Texas Triangle, and sections of the west coast.

As this point, particularly given the suburban nature of much of our housing nationwide, I'd just be glad to see genuine, dedicated PDL's along our very densest corridors.

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #5668
00Zy99

There are some other corridors as well:

Denver-Colorado Springs-Santa Fe-Albuquerque.

LA-Vegas-Phoenix

You could just about make an argument for eventually building a line clear through from LA to New Orleans, if you consider all of the cities along the route.

Old May 30th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #5669
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Bullet Train in South Norwalk?

Bullet Train at SoNo Station?
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 08:20 AM   #5670
jam5

Likes (Received): 534

Nevada joins the high-speed rail bandwagon with plans for Vegas, SoCal link

May 26, 2015, 5:52am PDT
Allen Young
Sacramento Business Journal

Quote:
A high-speed train to Las Vegas took another step toward to reality last week as the Nevada Legislature sent a bill to Gov. Brian Sandoval to establish the Nevada High-Speed Rail Authority.

The agency would select a firm to construct and operate a high-speed train from Las Vegas to Southern California and oversee construction if Senate Bill 457 becomes law. The bill passed both legislative chambers last week with only one dissenting vote.

XpressWest, a private rail company, has proposed a bullet train from Las Vegas to Victorville in California, where it would connect to other rail systems. The trip would last 80 minutes, with trains traveling at speeds up to 150 miles per hour, the company reports on its website.

Financing for the $6.9 billion project is in final stages, the company reports, with money coming from a mix of private investment and federal grants.

The counties of Los Angeles and San Bernardino have adopted resolutions supporting the project, XpressWest said. The Nevada project also has early support from the California High-Speed Rail Authority, said spokeswoman Lisa Alley.
Old May 31st, 2015, 09:37 AM   #5671
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26122

At least some progress on my favourite HSR project in America

dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 02:56 AM   #5672
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

Nevada legislature approves high-speed rail from socal to Vegas

"Unlike the bullet train from San Francisco to Los Angeles championed by California Governor Jerry Brown, a proposed bullet train from Southern California to Las Vegas approved by the Nevada legislature last week would not rely on state funds."

"According to the Sacramento Business Journal (via California Political Review), the Nevada Legislature sent Senate Bill 457 to Gov. Brian Sandoval to establish the Nevada High-Speed Rail Authority, which would choose a firm to construct and operate the high-speed train. The bill passed both houses of the Nevada legislature with only one nay vote"

http://www.breitbart.com/california/...a-legislature/

dimlys1994, elab, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:52 AM   #5673
clippp

Likes (Received): 2

👍🏼

clippp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:06 AM   #5674
dimlys1994

SO FAST?

Old June 1st, 2015, 08:34 AM   #5675
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Wasn't this killed last year?

Old June 1st, 2015, 09:25 AM   #5676
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Wasn't this killed last year?
No, it wasn't. XpressWest was suspended, because investors can't find proper train manufacturer for this line and proper funding. But not cancelled
Old June 1st, 2015, 09:32 AM   #5677
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
No, it wasn't. XpressWest was suspended, because investors can't find proper train manufacturer for this line and proper funding. But not cancelled
Is Siemens or Bombardier stepping up this time?
Old June 1st, 2015, 09:37 AM   #5678
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Is Siemens or Bombardier stepping up this time?
Or even Chinese. I don't know
Old June 1st, 2015, 12:09 PM   #5679
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Or even Chinese. I don't know
I thought it had to be buy America?
Old June 1st, 2015, 06:31 PM   #5680
00Zy99

Buy America is for federal (and state) funded projects.

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states