daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:38 AM   #561
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5man View Post
Well they do not have the plans or studies right now and have not gotten there act together. Whoever has there act together and best proposals first will receive the funds.
so a HSR link from little rock to houston or something could potentially be more worthy than the NEC... by your logic?
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:26 AM   #562
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 47

No, it's just that some states are busting their backs because maybe they're a lil forward thinking while the NEC is just sitting there waiting for the government to throw money at them.

I'm not sure if the NEC has any studies, but just commenting in respect to G5Man.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:34 AM   #563
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10385

It's the elephant in the room.

I think the main barrier to having true HSR in the Northeast Corridor is the right-of-way, it would cost quite a lot of money to build a separate railroad because land costs in many parts of the corridor (especially in CT, NY, NJ) are very high.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:37 AM   #564
davsot

Yet it's necessary...

Something like this perhaps?

http://bwmaglev.com/about/interactivemap.htm
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:38 AM   #565
Xusein

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5man View Post
Well they do not have the plans or studies right now and have not gotten there act together. Whoever has there act together and best proposals first will receive the funds.
Keep in mind that the NEC goes through eight states (as well as a district) with different issues and concerns, it's a little harder to come up with something compared to that HSR plan in California, which is obviously one state.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM   #566
Xusein

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
Yet it's necessary...

Something like this perhaps?

http://bwmaglev.com/about/interactivemap.htm
That would great to see! Maglev is kind of expensive though...
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:49 AM   #567
davsot

oh no, I was referring to the map lol.

Yea MagLev is a long shot and only if Baltimore gets the Olympics. So, either way HSRFTW.
Old July 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #568
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Even though as a Chicagoan I would like to see HSR around here I think without a doubt priority should be given to the NEC and then the Cali routes with the rest starting a distant third on down.
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #569
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

Have they started an EIR for upgrading the NEC?
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #570
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
i agree^ the NEC should be priority and deserves the first 220mph+ track, not some retarded STL connection to chicago or whatever other HSR projects that politicians propose to seem "forward thinking"
The 220 mpg Chicago-STL high speed line wasn't proposed, nor has been endorsed, by any politician. It was proposed in a study by the non-governmental Midwest High Speed Rail Association.

Last edited by hoosier; July 4th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #571
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Liberals are obviously also open minded and tolerant of the views of those who disagree with them, LOL.

To the topic. HSR has a great and immediate benefit from Boston to DC, that corridor should be developed into a true HSR corridor as soon as practical and financially feasible. Of course, under this administration ANYTHING is suddenly financially feasible so I guess we could start building it right now. Let's not build it just to build it, or build it just because France has it (where is France anyway?), let's build it where it makes sense and go from there. Japan and France didn't wake up one morning and suddenly have HSR networks, it took time. Let's start with the busiest rail corridor we have, transform it and see if it works. It likely will and then we can go from there.
Tolerance does NOT mean acceptance or non-criticism. Open-mindedness does NOT mean agreeing.

As for you jab that under the Obama administration, everything is financially feasible, I kindly suggest you pull your head out of your ass. We are talking about $8 billion, a paltry sum. And considering that it was Bush that launched the trillion dollar debacle known as Iraq despite the existence of a budget deficit after Congress approved his two surplus destroying tax cuts, you have no right to criticize. And the conservative icon Ronald Reagan TRIPLED the amount of federal government debt with his tax cuts for the rich and arms race with the Soviet Union so the modern GOP has ZERO credibility when it comes to "fiscal responsibility."
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #572
hoosier

Quote:
No, it's just that some states are busting their backs because maybe they're a lil forward thinking while the NEC is just sitting there waiting for the government to throw money at them.

I'm not sure if the NEC has any studies, but just commenting in respect to G5Man.
The NE is behind the game when it comes to developing plans for a NSR network because the Bush administration wanted to eliminate the federal subsidy for Amtrak and turn over its operation to the states. The NE states were rightly opposed to this, and thus avoided any collaboration with respect to interstate passenger rail service. Now that Bush is gone and a train friendly administration is in charge that wants to spend money on HSR, the NE states are starting to work together to develop a plan.
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #573
philvia

but just because a plan is in place doesn't mean it's worthy. the majority of proposed HSR plans would be a massive waste because the majority of the citizens there will not support it. they are just ways to make politicians seem like they're doing something "new and progressive".

the NEC has by far the highest ridership in the western hemisphere and thus would have the most advantage from the feds $$
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #574
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
but just because a plan is in place doesn't mean it's worthy. the majority of proposed HSR plans would be a massive waste because the majority of the citizens there will not support it. they are just ways to make politicians seem like they're doing something "new and progressive".

the NEC has by far the highest ridership in the western hemisphere and thus would have the most advantage from the feds $$
Do you have evidence that the citizens will not support it?
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #575
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Tolerance does NOT mean acceptance or non-criticism. Open-mindedness does NOT mean agreeing.
Tolerance means not devolving into sophomoric caricatures or crass generalizations.

You may think you are smarter then when a redneck conservative calls the whole swath of liberals "******* morons" but you would be wrong.
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #576
davsot

Quote:

If NEC has the highest ridership, why wouldn't more people support it? LOL
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #577
philvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
Do you have evidence that the citizens will not support it?
smaller midwest cities will NOT support it. they cant even support their own mass transit. look at STL metrolink.. it's a tourist thing if anything. the people in most of the country are still way too dependent on their vehicles and that wont change just because there's a fast train to another city. they'll still drive because most of the connecting cities have horrible mass transit, if any.

like i said, the ONLY region that has proven support is the NEC. chicago has it, but only in it's metro. CA voted it in, but that doesn't mean they'll use it.

the stuff proposed by politicians are just for image and the money will likely sit there doing nothing for years... and then probably transferred off to roadway projects once the money is forgotten about.
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #578
philvia

Quote:
If NEC has the highest ridership, why wouldn't more people support it? LOL
i dont even know what you're trying to say
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #579
hoosier

People only drive because that is their only option and human physical development is tailored towards automobile use. Americans flocked to trains prior to the massive federal investment in the interstate highway system.

These anti-HSR idiots are completely historically illiterate. There was no evidence that the interstate highway system would be a success, but so much money was put into it at the expense of rail travel that people started using it.

If American cities are linked by HSR, there will be a demand for mass transit to complement it, just as the interstate highway system produced large surface streets, malls, and parking lots.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #580
hoosier

Quote:
but just because a plan is in place doesn't mean it's worthy. the majority of proposed HSR plans would be a massive waste because the majority of the citizens there will not support it.
Another anti-HSR idiot talking out their ass. Tell me, is the $15 BILLION expansion of O'Hare airport a wise use of money? The entire Midwest HSR network would only cost $10 billion and link all major cities with 110 mph rail.

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states