daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23rd, 2015, 04:43 PM   #5821
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

High-Speed Rail in Texas Takes a Big Step Forward

The proposed high-speed rail project between Dallas and Houston is one step closer to becoming a reality. Texas Central is proud to announce that it has closed on the first round of development funding for the project. Texas Central raised $75 million exclusively from Texas-based investors who are experienced visionaires and believe in big ideas. We’re also pround to announce the hiring of Tim Keith as CEO of Texas Central.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh4Wb0jqoBc

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:36 PM   #5822
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Good, that's enough money to put up a website and create a slick CGI filled TV commercial.
Old July 24th, 2015, 03:37 AM   #5823
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Good, that's enough money to put up a website and create a slick CGI filled TV commercial.
And finish surveying the route.

And fill out the paperwork for the permits.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #5824
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Some Acela Express Shots I took yesterday

Newark Penn

Rush Hour at Newark Penn Station
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

Harrison

Eastbound Acela Express passing thru Harrison,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Westbound meets Eastbound in Harrison,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Eastbound Acela Express passing thru Harrison,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

mrsmartman, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 05:44 AM   #5825
Anday

Amtrak wants Acela trains to go faster

Amtrak is asking the feds to let its trains go faster.

The passenger rail system has petitioned the Federal Railroad Administration to allow it to increase the speed of its Acela trains from 150 mph to 160 mph in three zones along its Northeast corridor — Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Jersey.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/am...rticle/2568785
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 08:40 AM   #5826
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Why not 165 mph? That's what the Acela was designed for after all.
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #5827
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anday View Post
High-Speed Rail in Texas Takes a Big Step Forward

The proposed high-speed rail project between Dallas and Houston is one step closer to becoming a reality. Texas Central is proud to announce that it has closed on the first round of development funding for the project. Texas Central raised $75 million exclusively from Texas-based investors who are experienced visionaires and believe in big ideas. We’re also pround to announce the hiring of Tim Keith as CEO of Texas Central.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh4Wb0jqoBc
Thay are planning to use Shinkansen N700-I Bullet rolling stocks for the texas high speed rail line.

ivochip liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #5828
Anday

Maryland Proposes MagLev Marriage Between D.C., Baltimore

Imagine traveling from downtown D.C. to BWI Airport in 8 minutes or from Washington to Baltimore in 15 minutes. Considering how consistently terrible and unreliable commuting is in our region, such fast trips would seem possible in a fantasy world. For starters, 40 traffic-clogged miles separate the two cities; to cover that ground in 15 minutes would require some serious speed.

In another decade or so it could be reality.

In what may be the most ambitious initiative of his young administration, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is pursuing next-generation high speed rail through a partnership with the private sector and Japanese government.

Maryland would import the super conducting MagLev — magnetic levitation — technology now being developed in Japan to build the fastest rail line in the United States, leaving behind the 19th century steel-on-steel railroad construction and its enormous maintenance costs. As WAMU first reported in June, the state is applying for a federal grant to study MagLev, which requires a straight right-of-way to obtain its awesome speeds.

http://wamu.org/programs/metro_conne...n_dc_baltimore
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:52 AM   #5829
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by prageethSL View Post
Thay are planning to use Shinkansen N700-I Bullet rolling stocks for the texas high speed rail line.
http://www.kato-unitrack.de/media/ca...10-547_6_1.jpg
I wish they would use the CRH380B/Siemens Velaro! Just my personal preference.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 04:48 AM   #5830
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

They'd be able to use the Velaro, but not the 380B.
The entire project is funded by JR Central anyway so there isn't a cat's chance in hell of them using anything but Japanese rolling stock.

prageethSL, sweet-d, FM 2258 liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #5831
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anday View Post
Maryland Proposes MagLev Marriage Between D.C., Baltimore

Imagine traveling from downtown D.C. to BWI Airport in 8 minutes or from Washington to Baltimore in 15 minutes. Considering how consistently terrible and unreliable commuting is in our region, such fast trips would seem possible in a fantasy world. For starters, 40 traffic-clogged miles separate the two cities; to cover that ground in 15 minutes would require some serious speed.

In another decade or so it could be reality.

In what may be the most ambitious initiative of his young administration, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is pursuing next-generation high speed rail through a partnership with the private sector and Japanese government.

Maryland would import the super conducting MagLev — magnetic levitation — technology now being developed in Japan to build the fastest rail line in the United States, leaving behind the 19th century steel-on-steel railroad construction and its enormous maintenance costs. As WAMU first reported in June, the state is applying for a federal grant to study MagLev, which requires a straight right-of-way to obtain its awesome speeds.

http://wamu.org/programs/metro_conne...n_dc_baltimore
Ah , using that canceled Urban Transit money well...what a joke Maryland is....improve the busy and crumbling NEC before you build your Japanese toy....the Japanese can build it themselves if its a profitable idea...

CNB30 liked this post
Old July 25th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #5832
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Larry Hogan is possibly my least favorite politician currently for his handling of funding for Baltimore projects, and I hope his term is a catastrophe that will lead liberal Marylanders to the polls the next times around.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

Nexis liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #5833
Nexis
Dark Wolf

It has begun !

New and Old Catenary Pole
by Corey Best, on Flickr

CNB30, G5man, zaphod liked this post
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #5834
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Acela's Roaring through Princeton Junction

High Speed Amtrak Trains at Princeton Junction Station
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

Old Catenary & Signals

Northeast Corridor at Princeton Junction Station
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

Old Cooper Catenary
by Corey Best, on Flickr

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, mw123 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; July 25th, 2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old July 25th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #5835
Anday

'Let's get this done,' U.S. transportation secretary says of D.C.-Richmond high-speed rail

RICHMOND — President Barack Obama’s top transportation official said the long-sought high-speed rail linking Washington to Richmond and eventually to cities farther south is one of his top priorities in the final months of Obama’s term.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, speaking Wednesday in Richmond, announced a $1 million planning grant for the project and said he’ll be working with the Federal Railroad Administration to get monthly updates in hopes of pushing it closer to reality. The $2 billion leg from Richmond to Washington has been discussed for more than a decade, and officials have said recently that its completion is likely another decade away.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/lo...87121b73d.html

mrsmartman, CNB30, elab liked this post
Old July 27th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #5836
LondonerMiles

Likes (Received): 12

Just a question, how comes you guys don't want to develop your own stock? The US has some major manufacturing firms like General Electric but I have noticed that European firms are really creeping in to the American market.

I wish we could build our own trainsets for our planned HS route in Britain, but we don't have any major builders apart from...urm...none at all.

The Velaro D is entering service with Eurostar soon into London St. Pancras, personally I think they look a bit odd.
LondonerMiles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #5837
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonerMiles View Post
Just a question, how comes you guys don't want to develop your own stock? The US has some major manufacturing firms like General Electric but I have noticed that European firms are really creeping in to the American market.

I wish we could build our own trainsets for our planned HS route in Britain, but we don't have any major builders apart from...urm...none at all.

The Velaro D is entering service with Eurostar soon into London St. Pancras, personally I think they look a bit odd.
No profit for GE or any other company. Maybe a joint venture might happen. GE only builds locomotives for the freight market.
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #5838
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonerMiles View Post

Well the biggest problem is that the market is too small. There's also a tendency for the agencies who actually do operate under wire to order insanely-customized products which make NS' V250 debacle look utterly typical.

We used to have our own stock. GE and the St. Louis Car Company produced a common EMU platform that became known as the Silverliner IV in Philadelphia, Arrow III in New Jersey, and M1 through M6 inclusive in New York. Ultimately, though, market saturation (very few US rails were ever electrified to begin with), lack of capital or interest or demand, and a host of other issues has led to a total loss of passenger equipment construction knowhow in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
No profit for GE or any other company. Maybe a joint venture might happen. GE only builds locomotives for the freight market.
Meanwhile GE and EMD are both creeping into the European freight market. Both of them are well-established globally, providing the actual technical platform for a lot of Australian equipment as well as direct exports to China, the Middle East, South America, etc.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #5839
lunarwhite

Likes (Received): 29

Here is a column about the new CEO for Texas Central Partners.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...e-big-sell.ece

Note that Texas Central Railway and Texas Central Partners are separate but closely related corporations.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/i...unk-of-cash-1/
lunarwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #5840
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Ah , using that canceled Urban Transit money well...what a joke Maryland is....improve the busy and crumbling NEC before you build your Japanese toy....the Japanese can build it themselves if its a profitable idea...
The Japanese ARE building it themselves. It is under construction.
  • Building between Tokyo and Nagoya ~300 km.
  • Will be 88% tunnelled ( and therefore will be expensive )
  • Is forecast to be profitable within a year ( obviously talking about operating cost )
  • Will travel at 500km/h
  • Will be faster than flying ( 40m trip - end to end )
  • Will cost 700¥ extra per ticket ( in today's dollars ) ( ~$6 ). Currently, the trip costs ¥11,290 ( $92 )
  • Will start operation in 2027
  • Is called the Chuo Shinkansen
  • Is being financed 100% by a profitable private company ( JR Central ) with no government funding
  • Will not need to compensate landowners if more than 40m below ground.

That last point is important. They enacted the DEEP TUNNEL legislation, which is key to getting the train to run into congested cities like Tokyo at lower costs, which is where most of the deep tunnelling will be. It means the train won't be held up by landowners who want to extort the ROW 40m under their property.

That's really deep, by the way.

A Japanese company would like be NOT too successful building a line in the US without a local company/government agency. These things need deep and complete cooperation to build out. What incentive what the local politicians and transportation agencies have to help a foreign company build a line in the USA?

Also, this is essentially public infrastructure that will be used for a century or longer.

Last edited by bluemeansgo; July 28th, 2015 at 10:57 PM.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states