daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 24th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #5981
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
On mixed non-high-speed tracks, yes.
But as far as I remember, the infrastructure itself has nothing to do with
the accident, which might as well have happened when the train was going
at 250 km/h on an NBS. Inherently, because of its articulated structure, a
TGV is more secure than an ICE.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2015, 03:33 AM   #5982
Brystar27

Likes (Received): 18

I know this might be a dumb question or i don't know what is but here i go.

I have Traveled alot on Railways and Airplanes, I have been on the Acela Express (Washington DC to New York Penn), and another time from Philadelphia to Washington DC in 2013, also this happened when i traveled on the Pacific Surfliner in 2014, i live in Florida and here we don't have High Speed Rail although we are sort of getting one in a year or two?

Every time the Trains go at the highest speeds they are allowed to go i always hear a wind sound when i press my ear to the window, it sounds incredible and it amazes me of how we humans are capable of building such Transport as it is, it sounds like if i was on a jet aircraft in a way.

I don't know if i am saying right or maybe i am misinterpreting it please can someone tell me what it is?

Brystar27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #5983
SiMclaren

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I'm kind of surprised that tilting isn't a standard feature on all high-speed trainsets...or even all train cars and locomotives. It'd increase average speed no matter the circumstances. Although the cost is obviously not an absolutely necessary expense in all circumstances, I'd imagine it'd be useful on any line that wasn't Chinese-straight.
Weight and maintenance.

HSR has a tight requirement of 18t axle load and a (relatively) high wear due to the speeds achieved, so the bogies and trains have to be the lighest as feasible.

Also, with the large curve radius used on high speed routes, its a lot of unnecessary complexity.
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #5984
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brystar27 View Post

I have Traveled alot on Railways and Airplanes, I have been on the Acela Express (Washington DC to New York Penn), and another time from Philadelphia to Washington DC in 2013, also this happened when i traveled on the Pacific Surfliner in 2014, i live in Florida and here we don't have High Speed Rail although we are sort of getting one in a year or two?

Every time the Trains go at the highest speeds they are allowed to go i always hear a wind sound when i press my ear to the window, it sounds incredible and it amazes me of how we humans are capable of building such Transport as it is, it sounds like if i was on a jet aircraft in a way.

I don't know if i am saying right or maybe i am misinterpreting it please can someone tell me what it is?
All Aboard Florida will open in late 2016 from Miami to West Palm Beach & in 2017 from West Palm Beach to Orlando...future expansions have it going all the way up to Jacksonville...
Visit the New Jersey Section

mrsmartman, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #5985
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
A HSR between LA and Las Vegas is really profitable? I don't thing so...
I think it would be very profitable. I live in LA, and people drive to Las Vegas every weekend, or take buses.

By the way, LA, or better yet LA's money, practically launched what Las Vegas became. Well......LA gangsters invested heavily in Las Vegas, like Mickey Cohen and others.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #5986
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Any chance for Tampa?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #5987
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brystar27 View Post

You are not imagining things. What you are hearing is aerodynamic noise, along with other noises such as those emanating from the wheel-rail interface and pantograph-catenary wire interface. At high speeds these manifest themselves in that airplane-like noise. At very high speeds (higher than any current US service speeds) there is a turbulent boundary layer that is generated along the surface of a trainset, like an aircraft fuselage. This generates even more noise.
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:41 AM   #5988
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Some recent videos from Jersey Mike

Amtrak Train 172 - Old Saybrook to New London Rear View

Amtrak Train 172 - New London to Kingston Rear View

Amtrak Train 172 - Kingston to Providence Rear View

Amtrak Train 172 -Providence to Route 128 Rear View

Amtrak Train 172 Route 128 to Boston Back Bay

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; September 25th, 2015 at 08:06 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #5989
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
I think it would be very profitable. I live in LA, and people drive to Las Vegas every weekend, or take buses.

By the way, LA, or better yet LA's money, practically launched what Las Vegas became. Well......LA gangsters invested heavily in Las Vegas, like Mickey Cohen and others.
Well of course there will be enough demand at the weekend. The more important question are workdays though. Las Vegas still has a decent amount of people in town during the week, but is it enough for a HSR service? For me personally a Los Angeles - Phoenix service would make much more sense if you wish to expand eastwards.
Old September 25th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #5990
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
But as far as I remember, the infrastructure itself has nothing to do with the accident, which might as well have happened when the train was going at 250 km/h on an NBS. Inherently, because of its articulated structure, a TGV is more secure than an ICE.
The cause was material failure because of a wheel construction that should never have been used on a high speed train. After the wheel failed the train continued for several kilometers before derailing at the first switch it encountered, which unfortunately was located just in front of a viaduct of which the supports were knocked down by the derailed train, causing it to collapse onto the derailed train.

Because of this accident tests were done and train constructions were changed, so that 'regular' trains are now nearly as safe as jacobs-bogie articulated trains.

G5man, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 05:03 AM   #5991
Brystar27

Likes (Received): 18

Thank you KK Jetcar for the explanation i always find that sound when the Train is going high speed very awesome because its like when a jet aircraft takes off to the skies.

Also I heard that the US government is looking into expanding high speed rail tot he southeast of the USA to Richmond, Charlotte and such?
Brystar27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #5992
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3036

Quote:
Amtrak refutes US senator’s assertion on HS train deal

SOURCES at Amtrak have told IRJ's North American sister publication Railway Age, that claims by the US senator for New York, Senator Charles Schumer, that Amtrak has selected Alstom as preferred bidder for a contract to supply a fleet of high-speed trains, are premature.

Amtrak says that while Alstom is a bidder for the contract, the procurement process is still open and that two pre-qualified suppliers are still in the running for the contract.

Senator Schumer claimed during a visit to Alstom's Hornell plant in New York state on September 21 that the Amtrak board was about to select Alstom as the sole bidder to negotiate the contact. Amtrak sources say Schumer took liberties to declare a winner prematurely when Amtrak is still negotiating with two suppliers.

The new trains are needed to replace Amtrak's Acela fleet as part of a $US 2.5bn project to upgrade the Northeast Corridor linking Boston, New York and Washington DC.

source:http://www.railjournal.com/index.php....html?channel=

Last edited by prageethSL; September 27th, 2015 at 06:41 AM.
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #5993
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8759

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
But as far as I remember, the infrastructure itself has nothing to do with
the accident, which might as well have happened when the train was going
at 250 km/h on an NBS. Inherently, because of its articulated structure, a
TGV is more secure than an ICE.
The eschede accident it was caused for a defficient boggie (wheels)

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada

I(L)WTC liked this post
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #5994
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4958

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGrave View Post
Besides extra costs, tilting trains have other disadvantages - from low center of mass (that leads to low carriages - in Russia they had to build special low platforms for tilting trains) to motion sickness. Also, it's additional source of possible failures - there are enough photos in the net with one or two carriages not tilted properly in the curve.

So I guess this option is considered carefully each time they choose a train. Maybe newer tilting systems would become more popular.
I couldn't find a single such pic, I looked for tilting train failure. And motion sickness is a thing of the past now.

siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #5995
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by prageethSL View Post
I can understand why Amtrak MIGHT prefer Alstom over other bidders: the French TGV technology is quite conservative, based on strong, heavy engine units at the front and the rear end. I imagine that this approach will sit better with US railway regulators than the newest generations of German and Japanese HS trains which have basically been constructed to be as light as possible. - Which is great if the train is running on separate tracks, but not so great if (like in the US) there's plenty of mixed traffic with big, sturdy freight trains.

mrsmartman liked this post
hans280 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #5996
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
I can understand why Amtrak MIGHT prefer Alstom over other bidders: the French TGV technology is quite conservative, based on strong, heavy engine units at the front and the rear end. I imagine that this approach will sit better with US railway regulators than the newest generations of German and Japanese HS trains which have basically been constructed to be as light as possible. - Which is great if the train is running on separate tracks, but not so great if (like in the US) there's plenty of mixed traffic with big, sturdy freight trains.
Pretty sure Amtrak would love to get rid of those ridiculous FRA regulations forcing them to put tanks on their lines completely ruining the tracks.
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #5997
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
There really isn't much mixed, passenger/freight, traffic on the NEC, though...

phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #5998
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

As its first meeting nears, high-speed rail panel already behind schedule

Quote:
As the Nevada High-Speed Rail Authority prepares for its inaugural meeting Tuesday, the five-member board already is hopelessly behind in meeting a deadline established by the enabling legislation.

Board members meet for the first time at the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada headquarters at 5 p.m.

The board was established in May when Gov. Brian Sandoval signed Senate Bill 457 into law. The board's purpose is to oversee the development of what is being called the Nevada High-Speed Rail System, a train that would connect Southern Nevada with Southern California.

Initial board appointees are George Smith, executive vice president of Bank of America Merrill Lynch; Tina Quigley, general manager of the Regional Transportation Commission; Hualiang "Harry" Teng, director of the railroad, high-speed rail and transit initiative and an associate professor of UNLV's Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering; Fred Dilger, principal and transportation analyst at Black Mountain Research in Henderson; and Peter Thomas, managing partner of the Thomas & Mack Co. in Las Vegas.

Organizational topics dominate the first agenda, which also includes an explanation of the procedure for selecting a franchisee to build and maintain the railroad.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/tr...ehind-schedule
Old September 29th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #5999
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

LA Bullet Train Wants to Test-Drill for a Tunnel Under the San Gabriel Mountains

Quote:
The California bullet train will be a $68-billion wonder of the world once it figures out the small problem of how exactly to get the trains out of Los Angeles. The High Speed Rail Authority has had trouble finding a route from Burbank to Palmdale that doesn't ruffle feathers. In response to the intense public outcry over the 14 Freeway route, the Rail Authority announced last year it was looking into a possible tunnel option to cut through the San Gabriel Mountains, too, and they've since identified three potential routes for that tunnel. Now, the rail authority has asked the U.S. Forest Service for permission to conduct a few drilling tests in the northwest part of the Angeles National Forest to determine which of the tunnel routes are most feasible, reports the San Gabriel Valley Times.

Quote:
The three possible locations for the Eastern Corridor tunnel and the infamous 14 Freeway Corridor option
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...und_tunnel.php
Old September 29th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #6000
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Any idea how long would such a tunnel be? Seems to make a lot of sense to go for the tunnel there. In addition to shorter route and less impact on nature it would reduce the amount of land that needs to be bought.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states