daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:06 PM   #6021
Anday
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,316
Likes (Received): 1049

High-speed rail company moves forward with partnership announcement

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/m...ward-with.html
__________________

prageethSL liked this post
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2015, 03:30 PM   #6022
phoenixboi08
Registered User
 
phoenixboi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,550
Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeezus2 View Post
Ok Tower Bro I see what you mean now. I assumed that this move wasn't so much as a lack of will to fund the CHSRA by Congress, so much as I saw it as California seeing the success TCR has had so far with the implementation of their plan.
The Authority has always planned to seek private financing... It's the entire foundation of their business plan, and it's why it was challeneged in court.
__________________
MCRP '16
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:48 AM   #6023
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡
 
Buffaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Buffalo Southtowns, New York
Posts: 3,818
Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Well this is humiliating
We can't build highways or railways here, and now the Chinese government has to do it for us with all the money we gave them? What a mess , they should just buy us!
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:54 AM   #6024
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡
 
Buffaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Buffalo Southtowns, New York
Posts: 3,818
Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by prageethSL View Post
Amtrak to award Alstom $2.5 billion contract to build the next generation of high-speed Acela trains


source :http://www.stargazette.com/story/new...ract/72556256/
Well it's still safe to say I'll never ride NYS HSR because the tentative routing will bypass Utica's beautiful train station.

They like to find ways to kill the city off instead of build it up. This could be one of them.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:30 AM   #6025
00Zy99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 1506

That was a premature article resulting from a politician. Ignore it.
__________________

Nexis liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:19 AM   #6026
Tower Dude
Registered User
 
Tower Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 76th Street Station
Posts: 1,044
Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Well it's still safe to say I'll never ride NYS HSR because the tentative routing will bypass Utica's beautiful train station.



They like to find ways to kill the city off instead of build it up. This could be one of them.

Well considering the EIS got swept under the rug for NYS HSR I doubt we will see it anytime soon. Maybe that administration will include Utica
__________________

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:47 AM   #6027
sdery
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 127
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
We can't build highways or railways here, and now the Chinese government has to do it for us with all the money we gave them?
If you read the fine print of the article, the Chinese are asking to be awarded the entire contract for building the system (for economies of scale) and demanding that the State of CA provide a full guarantee on all the project debt, ie they are willing to build the project as long as there is no risk to them...hardly them throwing money around or even a good deal for CA.
__________________
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 07:33 AM   #6028
Tower Dude
Registered User
 
Tower Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 76th Street Station
Posts: 1,044
Likes (Received): 593

OUCH!! That's highway robbery right there.
__________________

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:31 AM   #6029
sweet-d
Registered User
 
sweet-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chengdu
Posts: 1,612
Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
I'm not saying that this is not a good thing and that I am against the offer of funding. I am happy financial entities have stepped up to the plate to help fund this.

I'm just saying I'm embarrassed by the hostility and attacks towards High Speed Rail in the United States' by backwards ass politicians who don't seem to know their ass from their elbow.
Yeah I pretty much feel the same way. It's great if China wants to provide financing for this. It would be even better if the provided technology transfer too. The reality is we could have done this awhile ago if we made a national push for high speed rail.

If we wanted to we could make a national effort to upgrade the eastern corridor, build a Midwest high speed rail, and even build a DC to Atlanta line. We could do it and every hsr company in the world would run here with discounts, low priced loans, and technology transfer. Even the plans in Florida right now that could be turned into high speed rail.

Maybe California should look at the other bids too. China is trying very hard to export their HSR then again this California HSR would be a massive deal to who ever wins the bid. Especially considering California is building a network larger than some countries. I wonder what JR Central and the Japan Export bank has to offer.

Well we know who to thank for fighting HSR tooth and nail.
__________________

prageethSL liked this post
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:38 AM   #6030
Tower Dude
Registered User
 
Tower Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 76th Street Station
Posts: 1,044
Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
Yeah I pretty much feel the same way. It's great if China wants to provide financing for this. It would be even better if the provided technology transfer too. The reality is we could have done this awhile ago if we made a national push for high speed rail.



If we wanted to we could make a national effort to upgrade the eastern corridor, build a Midwest high speed rail, and even build a DC to Atlanta line. We could do it and every hsr company in the world would run here with discounts, low priced loans, and technology transfer. Even the plans in Florida right now that could be turned into high speed rail.



Maybe California should look at the other bids too. China is trying very hard to export their HSR then again this California HSR would be a massive deal to who ever wins the bid. Especially considering California is building a network larger than some countries. I wonder what JR Central and the Japan Export bank has to offer.



Well we know who to thank for fighting HSR tooth and nail.

My sentiments exactly, also AWESOME avatar!
__________________

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:15 PM   #6031
phoenixboi08
Registered User
 
phoenixboi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,550
Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdery View Post
If you read the fine print of the article, the Chinese are asking to be awarded the entire contract for building the system (for economies of scale) and demanding that the State of CA provide a full guarantee on all the project debt, ie they are willing to build the project as long as there is no risk to them...hardly them throwing money around or even a good deal for CA.
And this is why all those private firms that have been responding to CAHSRA have been irritated about cap and trade and other revenue streams: they want absolute certainty that they'll receive projected revenue. Not realistic, and I certainly hope the State guarantees no such thing. Otherwise, they may as well just finance it themselves.

Of course, this translates into the Authority's identified revenue streams being "unfeasible" in news reports...

They'll change their tune when it's no longer solicitations for input but actual bidding for the contract.
__________________
MCRP '16
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 05:33 AM   #6032
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

If the US wants to regain HSR tech, it can simply require all foreign bidder to form a joint venture with a local company (i.e. GE) and build all train sets and control systems locally. Much like what China did.
__________________
The building under construction next to Shanghai Tower is Oriental Financial Center. The "plot" next to Jinmao is reserved green belt and no skyscraper will be built there.

sweet-d liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #6033
jonnyG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
If the US wants to regain HSR tech, it can simply require all foreign bidder to form a joint venture with a local company (i.e. GE) and build all train sets and control systems locally. Much like what China did.
No offense, but regain? When was US in the forefront of HSR tech?
jonnyG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #6034
aquaticko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 1,995
Likes (Received): 1030

When HSR meant steam or diesel locos traveling at 100mph. I.e., 60-70 years ago.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #6035
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
When HSR meant steam or diesel locos traveling at 100mph. I.e., 60-70 years ago.
In the 1930-ies the US had the fastest scheduled passengers trains in the world. It's indeed sad that this is all gone now.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #6036
particlez
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 532
Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
If the US wants to regain HSR tech, it can simply require all foreign bidder to form a joint venture with a local company (i.e. GE) and build all train sets and control systems locally. Much like what China did.
It's even more ironic when the US itself used import substitution, technology transfers, and *gasps* blatant copying in the 19th century to raise its living standards. People forget about it now, but the American/German Historical school of economics provided the framework for economic advancement.

A generation ago the media was busy castigating the Japanese for supposedly questionable quality and for being derivative and lacking imagination and pumping out incrementally improved products--all while said Japanese were trouncing the competition. The criticism continually segues towards other nations. Apparently their development is cheating, yet their products are constantly improving and selling.
particlez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #6037
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper
 
dumbfword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 293
Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
In the 1930-ies the US had the fastest scheduled passengers trains in the world. It's indeed sad that this is all gone now.
Yeah. The USA had a rail system on pair with Japan and Europe. All part of a plan by the auto/oil industries to make America car focus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...car_conspiracy
__________________
"I am the color red in a world full of black and white"

fskobic liked this post
dumbfword no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #6038
jonnyG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
When HSR meant steam or diesel locos traveling at 100mph. I.e., 60-70 years ago.
You would be right, if only to "regain" those old HSR technology.
jonnyG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #6039
Yeezus2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 48
Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
The Authority has always planned to seek private financing... It's the entire foundation of their business plan, and it's why it was challeneged in court.
I was under the impression that this was a public project. So it's all privately funded then?
__________________
KANYE FOR PRESIDENT 2020 WE HERE FAM
Yeezus2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #6040
Tower Dude
Registered User
 
Tower Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 76th Street Station
Posts: 1,044
Likes (Received): 593

It's a PPP in essence, as it has received federal grant money, state bond money and will receive state cap and trade funds. But so far that only accounts for $12 Billion out of $68 Billion, so the rest will have to be appropriated through private investment.
__________________

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium