daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 11th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #6081
00Zy99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
I'd be surprised if that's the case. Having an end car (with seating) that has the same style front as the loco isn't uncommon though.
I believe that their press reports indicated that yes, they ARE using two engines.

Especially when you get up to seven cars, having two engines ensures maximum performance and acceleration.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #6082
sdery
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 127
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
was this picture drawn in the 80s? because it certainly looks like it. straight copy of an aircraft
It looks like the front of a Boeing 727....not exactly cutting edge technology.
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #6083
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I believe that their press reports indicated that yes, they ARE using two engines.

Especially when you get up to seven cars, having two engines ensures maximum performance and acceleration.
Its similar to the HST's that run in Britain... Although Id wish they had went with DMUs instead...
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #6084
Anday
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,321
Likes (Received): 1049

Dallas to Houston High-Speed Rail Project - Alignment Alternatives Analysis Report


https://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/Details/L17203
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #6085
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034



I like the New NEC via LI/91/Worcester thats an addition 8 million people that could be serviced...it is expensive but well worth it...
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section

jchernin, lsg97 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #6086
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE
 
zaphod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,175
Likes (Received): 1673

It looks like the downtown Houston leg was dropped and the line will terminate at northwest mall. The downtown lines got disqualified for being overly expensive as a last mile option and for having a major impact on neighborhoods.

This is fine by me. It's only a few miles difference and closer to where the real geographic center of the city probably is.

Northwest mall is a old shopping center that has seen better days. It would provide a lot of land for development of a station and tod.

It's adjacent to a major bus hub and on a stale proposal for a light rail line. It's a short distance from the high rise uptown district and the area is somewhat urban by Houston standards. I think it would be okay.
__________________
What fun would internet discussions be if we weren't all amateur experts in everything?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 12:22 PM   #6087
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Some Northeast Corridor Photos from Jonathan Lee


Acela Meet at Crum Lynne
by Jonathan Lee, on Flickr


Joe Biden&#x27;s Station
by Jonathan Lee, on Flickr


Autumn on the Corridor
by Jonathan Lee, on Flickr


Northbound at North East
by Jonathan Lee, on Flickr


DC-Bound
by Jonathan Lee, on Flickr
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #6088
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howell/Newark, NJ
Posts: 2,252
Likes (Received): 4188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anday View Post
XpressWest draws nominal high-speed rail competitors






http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/tr...il-competitors
Yet another bullshit alternative to tried and true high speed rail that will promise a ridiculously low price tag but will actually cost far more than steel rails. The Hyperloop or pod cars are another.
__________________
If I don't say otherwise, all of my images are on my blog,
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

Swede, CNB30 liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #6089
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
Yet another bullshit alternative to tried and true high speed rail that will promise a ridiculously low price tag but will actually cost far more than steel rails. The Hyperloop or pod cars are another.
I don't think Pod cars were ever marketed as an alt to High Speed Rail...just alt to Urban Transit and they've failed miserably.
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #6090
hammersklavier
Feral
 
hammersklavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 597
Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post


I like the New NEC via LI/91/Worcester thats an addition 8 million people that could be serviced...it is expensive but well worth it...




I prefer Alts. 1 & 2. Alt 3 is just spending money for its own sake. The NEC has lots of capacity and can be made a lot faster with relatively minor interventions in most places
-- it's just poorly allocated.

Alt 3 contains a couple of projects I don't like -- it still has a new Market East station and its necessary approach tunnels -- an obvious boondoggle, given 30th St's capacity.
__________________

mrsmartman liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #6091
00Zy99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 1506

Of course, all of these are just representative. They are probably going to ultimately mix and match pieces from the various alternatives.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #6092
Tower Dude
Registered User
 
Tower Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 76th Street Station
Posts: 1,044
Likes (Received): 593

Ya it will end up being some mix of the 3 plans
__________________

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #6093
Hank904
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

Won't get high speed rail under obama

Obama is totally aginset high speed rail. China invited us to be apart of the silk road project witch includes high speed rail. Obama said no he also said no when he was asked be apart of the brics and the aiib development Bank. In order to expand the physical economy you need to take out wall street though glass steagle. With our banking system you can't get hsr. But under a credit system with our government issuing money you can. Obama serves wall street, the city of London and the queen of England. Visit laroucepac.com to get more information about killer Obama.
Hank904 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #6094
phoenixboi08
Registered User
 
phoenixboi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,550
Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank904 View Post
Obama is totally aginset high speed rail. China invited us to be apart of the silk road project witch includes high speed rail. Obama said no he also said no when he was asked be apart of the brics and the aiib development Bank. In order to expand the physical economy you need to take out wall street though glass steagle. With our banking system you can't get hsr. But under a credit system with our government issuing money you can. Obama serves wall street, the city of London and the queen of England. Visit laroucepac.com to get more information about killer Obama.
Rain check on tin foil....
__________________
MCRP '16

Manitopiaaa liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #6095
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE
 
zaphod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,175
Likes (Received): 1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank904 View Post
Obama is totally aginset high speed rail. China invited us to be apart of the silk road project witch includes high speed rail. Obama said no he also said no when he was asked be apart of the brics and the aiib development Bank. In order to expand the physical economy you need to take out wall street though glass steagle. With our banking system you can't get hsr. But under a credit system with our government issuing money you can. Obama serves wall street, the city of London and the queen of England. Visit laroucepac.com to get more information about killer Obama.
The silk road project is a way for China to economically integrate its central and southwest Asian neighbors into its sphere of influence. This is unrelated to high speed rail investment in the US. Also, I don't think China will make headway on high speed rail investments here anyways. Their motive is to give unusually preferable terms to certain countries they want to earn favor from, like Indonesia. They gain nothing but political hate for trying that in the US, here they can't use their own workers either so the costs go up. Look how the HSR project in Mexico flamed out. The government got cold feet when their budget projections soured due to a drop in oil prices and the general public was not going to accept spending public money on a project wholly designed and built and controlled and profited from by a rival foreign power.

My prediction is that the Desert Xpress line won't ever see a single shovel of dirt turned any time in the next 25 years. It's too reliant the construction of the California High Speed Rail's leg into Los Angeles, which would be one of the most expensive and demanding and complex engineering projects in world history. Because they have tunnel tens of miles under mountains and fault lines but that's nothing compared to the snobby, old and crotchety, genuinely awful NIMBYs in LA.

Instead I think the Texas HSR using Japanese technology has an okay shot. It is possibly the easiest and most guaranteed to succeed routing for a high speed rail line anywhere in North America. Two massive 6-7 million and growing cities, split by nothing but flat and lightly populated farmland, exactly the distance where HSR fills the niche perfectly(too far to drive, too short to fly). The ability for the line to penetrate downtown Dallas via floodplain and cheap industrial real estate. A board of directors and supporters who represent important political and business interests. They just need get the money and take the leap and do it. And when people see it in action it will change voter's minds quickly about the merits of high speed rail and there will be a bigger push for more using both public and private and public/private models for development.
__________________
What fun would internet discussions be if we weren't all amateur experts in everything?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...


Last edited by zaphod; November 13th, 2015 at 09:32 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #6096
CITYofDREAMS
The Place
 
CITYofDREAMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,136
Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
The silk road project is a way for China to economically integrate its central and southwest Asian neighbors into its sphere of influence. This is unrelated to high speed rail investment in the US. Also, I don't think China will make headway on high speed rail investments here anyways. Their motive is to give unusually preferable terms to certain countries they want to earn favor from, like Indonesia. They gain nothing but political hate for trying that in the US, here they can't use their own workers either so the costs go up. Look how the HSR project in Mexico flamed out. The government got cold feet when their budget projections soured due to a drop in oil prices and the general public was not going to accept spending public money on a project wholly designed and built and controlled and profited from by a rival foreign power.

My prediction is that the Desert Xpress line won't ever see a single shovel of dirt turned any time in the next 25 years. It's too reliant the construction of the California High Speed Rail's leg into Los Angeles, which would be one of the most expensive and demanding and complex engineering projects in world history. Because they have tunnel tens of miles under mountains and fault lines but that's nothing compared to the snobby, old and crotchety, genuinely awful NIMBYs in LA.

Instead I think the Texas HSR using Japanese technology has an okay shot. It is possibly the easiest and most guaranteed to succeed routing for a high speed rail line anywhere in North America. Two massive 6-7 million and growing cities, split by nothing but flat and lightly populated farmland, exactly the distance where HSR fills the niche perfectly(too far to drive, too short to fly). The ability for the line to penetrate downtown Dallas via floodplain and cheap industrial real estate. A board of directors and supporters who represent important political and business interests. They just need get the money and take the leap and do it. And when people see it in action it will change voter's minds quickly about the merits of high speed rail and there will be a bigger push for more using both public and private and public/private models for development.
For this project there is much more and stronger opposition(read nimbyism) in the Bay Area than LA.
__________________
'Los Angeles is raw, uncouth and bizarre, but it's a place of substance. It has more new horizons than any other place." - Werner Herzog

zaphod liked this post
CITYofDREAMS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 04:07 AM   #6097
00Zy99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 1506

More specifically, in the wealthy suburbs along the Caltrain Corridor in the Peninsula.
__________________

zaphod liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #6098
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

I'll compromise with Alt 2 but via Worcester instead of Providence and a larger electrified Higher Speed network covering the Northeast..
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #6099
aquaticko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 1,995
Likes (Received): 1031

I'd think they'd want to go to Providence so as to not appear to cater to Massachusetts too much.

What they really ought to do is rebuild the Lake Shore Limited line so as to speed up east-west service through Mass; that way, people from Worcester could travel to Boston or Springfield to then go south. It'd definitely work for commuters, too.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #6100
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I'd think they'd want to go to Providence so as to not appear to cater to Massachusetts too much.

What they really ought to do is rebuild the Lake Shore Limited line so as to speed up east-west service through Mass; that way, people from Worcester could travel to Boston or Springfield to then go south. It'd definitely work for commuters, too.
Providence is already serviced well ...I don't know why they would need more service ontop of what they have. I do agree with an East-West line across Mass but it should extend to Albany...and be Electrified...
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium