daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15th, 2016, 03:42 AM   #6181
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3038

CHSR
1/13/2016

https://web.facebook.com/CaliforniaH...type=3&theater

Last edited by prageethSL; January 15th, 2016 at 03:48 AM.
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #6182
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Awesome!

This is what true 350 km\h new build HSR in the USA looks like! I am cheering on this project, but I hope it actually gets built. Won't the original money run out before the initial operating segment(Burbank-Merced) opens? It would be a shame if Californians chickened out and accepted a crappy diesel express service using the 'rails to nowhere'.

I really hope they can achieve Bay to Basin(San Jose to Burbank). Reaching into the LA basin will be revolutionary. Then from there, I think LA would pony up the cash to finish Union Station regardless of the political climates.

Forget the Peninsula line if it ends up dragging the whole project down.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #6183
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

UNITED STATES | High Speed Rail

I think that it will not be a boondoggle that it will take much longer than anticipated but I think that it will all come to fruition, SF to LA and Sacramento to San Diego. Though the good news is if cities in California continue their current level of investment in transit expansion this system will have no shortage of riders.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

jchernin liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 04:59 AM   #6184
prageethSL

Bullet train's first segment, reserved for Southland, could open in Bay Area instead

Quote:
A valuable perk handed to Southern California from the bullet train project — a 2012 decision to build the first operating segment from Burbank north into the Central Valley — is being reconsidered by state officials.

The state rail authority is studying an alternative to build the first segment in the Bay Area, running trains from San Jose to Bakersfield.

If the plan does change, it would be a significant reversal that carries big financial, technical and political impacts, especially in Southern California.

“You can’t ignore Southern California or Los Angeles or Orange County and say we are going to go north, period,” said Richard Katz, a longtime Southern California transportation official and former Assembly majority leader. “It made sense to start in the south, given the population and the serious transportation problems here.”

Costs rise for moving utility lines in construction of bullet train
The original decision to start the initial segment in Burbank was considered a major economic benefit to the region, providing commuters with 15-minute rides to Palmdale, a connection to a future Las Vegas bullet train and an early link to the growing Central Valley.

But the state is facing major difficulties with the south-first plan. By building in the north initially, the state would delay the most difficult and expensive segment of the entire $68-billion project: traversing the geologically complex Tehachapi and San Gabriel mountains with a large system of tunnels and aerial structures.

With the project already behind schedule and facing estimates of higher costs, the Bay Area option could offer a faster, less risky and cheaper option. Getting even a portion of the project built early would help its political survival.

The outcome of the new evaluation will be known in the coming weeks, when the state unveils its 2016 Business Plan. The document will be the most comprehensive update for the $68-billion program in four years.

A decision to drop its plan to start the system in Southern California will not be popular among area civic leaders.

“I understand they have a difficult political situation, but they really need to come to Los Angeles,” said Art Leahy, chief executive of the Metrolink commuter rail system in Southern California.

“The southern route has a lot more ridership,” Leahy said. “The north is very important and I love the Bay Area, but the economic center of the state is in Southern California.”
The rail authority has been hinting at a potential change for months, starting last summer when it asked potential private investors to describe how they would help build an initial operating system from either the south or the north.

And in December, rail authority Chief Executive Jeff Morales said in a Sacramento television news interview that the agency was reconsidering its south-first strategy.

Rail authority spokeswoman Lisa Marie Alley said the plan to build an initial operating segment in the south was never final.

“The option to do an initial operating segment north has always been there,” she said.

Gov. Jerry Brown did not leave room for that possibility in 2013. In his State of the State address that year, he said the first phase of the future bullet train would start in the Central Valley and connect to Union Station in Los Angeles.
“The first phase will get us from Madera to Bakersfield,” Brown said. “Then we will take it through the Tehachapi Mountains to Palmdale, constructing 30 miles of tunnels and bridges.

“The first rail line through those mountains was built in 1874, and its top speed over the crest is still 24 miles an hour,” Brown said. “Then we will build another 33 miles of tunnels and bridges before we get the train to its destination at Union Station in the heart of Los Angeles.”

The governor’s latest State of the State speech, delivered Thursday, did not mention the bullet train. It had been included in each of his annual speeches since 2012.
Read more : http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...123-story.html
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #6185
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by prageethSL View Post
Bullet train's first segment, reserved for Southland, could open in Bay Area instead

Read more : http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...123-story.html
...so they're essentially prioritizing the Bay connection to the IOS before the Basin?

I wonder if this is an indication that they might be seriously considering tunneling under the LA National Forest, after all.

I hope they don't.
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #6186
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

The way I see it, doing the LA basin segment first using money that is available makes more sense because without it the whole project will fail. There is no other satisfactory, fast, not crowded route over the mountains.

The Bay to Valley segment on the other hand could be downgraded to express conventional rail if the project runs out of money and still result in a finished project that actually accomplishes what voters demanded when they said yes to it in 2008.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Old January 24th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #6187
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Are you saying that because actual passenger rail from the Valley to SF already exists even if the route is not a direct one but there is none at all from the Valley to LA?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #6188
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Are you saying that because actual passenger rail from the Valley to SF already exists even if the route is not a direct one but there is none at all from the Valley to LA?
Exactly

Worst case scenario where forces conspire to kill the project, building valley to basin first means that the state could scrounge up some 125 mph diesel equipment to run the route in the interim. That would keep the whole HSR dream alive and citizens would see merit in completing the project when they could.

Without Valley to Basin, you literally have a train to nowhere(Fresno and Bakersfield truly are nowhere)

Old January 24th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #6189
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Without Valley to Basin, you literally have a train to nowhere(Fresno and Bakersfield truly are nowhere)
If Valley is "nowhere" then why did you choose to run the HSR through there in the first place? Just from LA to SF coastal route would have been possible as well. I suspect the point is that Valley is of higher importance than you are saying (both demographically and politically).
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #6190
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
If Valley is "nowhere" then why did you choose to run the HSR through there in the first place? Just from LA to SF coastal route would have been possible as well. I suspect the point is that Valley is of higher importance than you are saying (both demographically and politically).
Politically, yes! No doubt. I'm a foreigner, but here in France the opening of an extension of our North-South HS line into sort France had almost no impact on the passenger numbers in the south. The whole increase came between the south and Paris. Now, several of the south French cities are way bigger than Fresno and Sacramento. I strongly suspect that the success (or failure) of the Californian HS line will also depend on having a city with more than 10 million inhabitants as a backstop and "passenger pool". In other words: Los Angeles.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #6191
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

Plans for Houston-Dallas bullet train moving along

Quote:
DALLAS - Plans for high-speed rail in Texas will speed up in 2016, company officials said Friday, as the first comprehensive examination of the Houston-to-Dallas line is on pace for release in the summer and design changes are taking shape.
You need to be subscribed to view the article. If anyone is subbed can you post what it says? Thanks in advance.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news...ng-6777582.php

zaphod liked this post
Anday está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #6192
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Politically, yes! No doubt. I'm a foreigner, but here in France the opening of an extension of our North-South HS line into sort France had almost no impact on the passenger numbers in the south. The whole increase came between the south and Paris. Now, several of the south French cities are way bigger than Fresno and Sacramento. I strongly suspect that the success (or failure) of the Californian HS line will also depend on having a city with more than 10 million inhabitants as a backstop and "passenger pool". In other words: Los Angeles.
I'd say Bay area (ca 8 million in the larger agglomeration) would fulfil that role equally well. It could well be the single richest area in the World. California has two centres economically, politically and demographically there as France really has only one. The best analogy in Europe would be Madrid-Barcelona line.

Another consideration of course is whether those Valley cities have more economical links with LA or SF. I think it's more likely to be with LA.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 04:53 AM   #6193
prageethSL

1/29/16

sdery, jchernin, FM 2258, dimlys1994, elab liked this post
Old February 5th, 2016, 03:28 AM   #6194
prageethSL

2/4/16
Fresno river viaduct construction

DSCN2498 by California High-Speed Rail, on Flickr

DSCN2473 by California High-Speed Rail, on Flickr

DSCN2467 by California High-Speed Rail, on Flickr

Construction on the Fresno trench

Tuolumne Street Bridge demolition
DSCN2513 by California High-Speed Rail, on Flickr

sdery, phoenixboi08, jchernin, elab, storms991 and 4 others liked this post
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #6195
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Photo taken by Lee Carlson

Quote:
Through the Tunnels

Eastbound Amtrak Acela heads through the Fair Haven Tunnels, in New Haven, CT 9/23/2010

Through the Tunnels
by Lee Carlson, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

3737, lsg97, dimlys1994, mrsmartman, Buffaboy and 1 others liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 12:53 AM   #6196
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

The Northeast Corridor (NEC), the only premier high speed line in America, links Boston to Washington DC passing through New Haven, New York, Newark, Trenton, Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore – a total of 363 miles.

(C)RailSimulator.com

Acela and the Empire State Building together represented on one picture! Taking this shot and others at this location awarded me the pleasure to be hassled by a MTA employee. He was annoyed that I was taking pictures here. I had to explain him that it is fully legal, but he was still willing to take me to some MTA office down in Penn Station. Which I refused and there was nothing he could do about it. Railfan hassle has become a real pain everywhere. But talking about New York, it is the worst you can imagine. On the same week, I have also been asked not to take pictures on platforms in Grand Central, which is also not illegal. Coming back to the picture above, it is a Southbound Acela leaving Penn station. The picture is shot in the short open air section west of Penn Station, between 9th and 10th avenues. The building on the right of the picture above the tracks is the back of the James A. Farley Building, New York City's General Post Office. Signs in front of it announce the coming of Moynihan Station at this location, a much needed redevelopment of the cramped Penn Station in favor of a grander station. The project has been debated since 1999, and the works have not started yet.

Jean-Marc Frybourg
April 25, 2008

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=233057

FM 2258 liked this post

Last edited by mrsmartman; February 11th, 2016 at 06:30 AM.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #6197
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Exactly

Worst case scenario where forces conspire to kill the project, building valley to basin first means that the state could scrounge up some 125 mph diesel equipment to run the route in the interim. That would keep the whole HSR dream alive and citizens would see merit in completing the project when they could.

One of the project's biggest problems has been the passes used to surmount the mountains.

A lot of "technical" proponents, looking at the cheapest way to achieve CAHSR's goals, proposed that the line use Tejon Pass to cross the Tehachapi Mountains, and Altamont Pass across the Diablo Range.

The path chosen instead uses Pacheco Pass across the Diablos and Tehachapi Pass across their eponymous mountains.

The biggest issue with Pacheco Pass is that it requires many more miles of duplicate track, as Altamont pretty much just deposits you in the Bay Area, while Pacheco requires you to go all the way up Silicon Valley. Tehachapi Pass creates a major detour to Palmdale; Tejon Pass is something on the order of 50-100 miles shorter in toto.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 04:21 AM   #6198
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
New NEC Alternatives for NYC-Newark

Alternative 1

-New Jersey

Two new tracks in one or two tunnels, beginning on embankment east of Secaucus Station adjacent to the existing NEC and continues east in tunnel west of U.S. Routes 1 & 9. The new segment continues in tunnel under the New Jersey Palisades and the Hudson River.

-New York

Two new tracks in one or two tunnels continue from New Jersey at the Hudson River and terminate under 31st Street, south of Penn Station New York (Figure 4-12).

Figure 4-12 : Alternative 1 (Existing NEC and New Segment through New York City Metropolitan Area)

Source: NEC FUTURE team, 2015
Background Image Source: Microsoft Bing Maps, Accessed July 2015

Alternative 2

-New Jersey
  • New, two-track infrastructure in central and northern New Jersey, beginning in North Brunswick, Middlesex County and continuing generally at-grade or on embankment adjacent to the existing NEC through central Middlesex County. The segment is in tunnel under the Raritan River through New Brunswick and Highland Park, and short tunnel segments near Metuchen in Middlesex County, Elizabeth in Union County, and Newark in Essex County. The new segment reconnects with the existing NEC in Kearney, Hudson County west of the Passaic River.
  • New third and fourth Hudson River tunnels, beginning on embankment east of Secaucus Rail Station, adjacent to the existing NEC, continuing east in tunnel west of U.S. Routes 1 & 9, adjacent to the existing NEC, under the New Jersey Palisades and Hudson River, terminating south of the existing NEC and Penn Station New York, under West 31st Street (Figure 4-16).

Figure 4-16 : Alternative 2 (Existing NEC and New Segment through New York City Metropolitan Area)

-New York
  • New fifth and sixth East River Tunnels, beginning at Penn Station New York in Midtown Manhattan, and continuing east under the East River south of the existing NEC through Woodside, Queens. The tunnels rise to an aerial structure, connecting with the Hell Gate Viaduct in Astoria, Queens (Figure 4-16).
  • The existing NEC in Bronx County, near I-895 and I-95, shifts approximately 500 feet at the widest point from its current location on the east side of the Bronx River.
  • The existing NEC shifts approximately 300 feet at the widest point from its current location in Bronx County, near Pelham Bay Park. The improvement includes a new crossing over the Hutchinson River (Pelham Bay).
  • The existing NEC shifts approximately 150 feet at its widest point from its current location near New Rochelle rail Station.
  • New, two-track infrastructure, beginning west of the New Rochelle Rail Station and continuing at-grade or on embankment parallel to the existing NEC to Rye in eastern Westchester County, into Fairfield County, CT.

Alternative 3

-New Jersey

Alternative 3 is typically at-grade or on embankment adjacent to the existing NEC from Trenton Station north through rural sections of northern Mercer County and southern Middlesex County. The alternative is in tunnel under the Raritan River through New Brunswick. Proceeding north, the route shifts from the existing NEC and is in short tunnel segments near Metuchen in Middlesex County, Elizabeth in Union County, and Newark in Essex County. Alternative 3 is above grade across Hackensack River, shifting south of the existing NEC in tunnel east of the Hackensack River and continuing through Jersey City, Union City, and Hoboken in Hudson County.

-New York

Alternative 3 includes six tracks under the Hudson River: two existing tunnels (North River Tunnels), two new tracks in one or two tunnels as described in Alternative 1, and two new tracks in one or two tunnels in Alternative 3 (Figure 4-19). The alternative continues in tunnel east under Midtown Manhattan entering Penn Station New York.

Figure 4-19 : Alternative 3 (Existing NEC and New Segments through New York City Metropolitan Area)

-New York (via Central Connecticut)

East of Penn Station New York, the six-track configuration for Alternative 3 continues east under the East River (four existing East River tunnels and two new tracks in one or two tunnels under the East River), and continues in tunnel south of the existing NEC through Woodside Queens, where the two tracks rise to connect with the Hell Gate Viaduct in Astoria. At Third Avenue, two tracks in one or two tunnels split from the six-track railroad headed east, continuing north along the east side of Manhattan in tunnel(s) under the East River, Wards Island, and Randall's Island, continuing at-grade near the Bruckner and Sheridan Expressways in Bronx County at which point the two new tracks join and continue parallel to the existing NEC, generally at-grade or on embankment through Pelham Bay Park, entering Westchester County along the Long Island Sound.

In Mamaroneck, Westchester County, Alternative 3 veers north of the existing NEC near Mamaroneck Avenue and continues north primarily in tunnel or aerial structure through Scarsdale and White Plains, where the new White Plains East station is proposed. Alternative 3 continues northwest, adjacent to Westchester County Airport in Harrison, crossing into Connecticut for a short distance before reentering Westchester County and continuing north through northern Westchester County and southern Putnam County parallel to I-684 in tunnel, on embankment or aerial structure. Alternative 3 crosses the Connecticut state line again north of I-84.

-New York City (via Long Island)

Alternative 3 continues east in six tracks under the East River (four existing East River tunnels and two new tracks in one or two tunnels under the East River), and continues in tunnel south of the existing NEC through Woodside Queens. At Woodside, the Representative Route splits into two; one segment rising to connect with the Hell Gate Viaduct in Astoria Queens. The other segment continues as Alternative 3, diverging south in one or two tunnels and continues south and east through Queens County, near the LIRR Montauk Branch. Alternative 3 continues on aerial structure or embankment east from I-678 to Floral Park in Nassau County, east of the Cross Island Parkway.

The alternative shifts in tunnel south adjacent to the LIRR Hempstead Branch, continuing east in trench through Garden City. Alternative 3 continues in trench east parallel to Stewart Avenue, through Eisenhower Park and the village of Levittown. The alternative continues in trench east, reconnecting with the LIRR Main Line in Farmingdale, and continues east, crossing in the Suffolk County, adjacent to the Main Line through Wyandanch, Brentwood, and Ronkonkoma. Alternative 3 shifts north near Long Island MacArthur Airport, crossing I-495 in tunnel and continuing typically on embankment or aerial structure north to Stony Brook. Alternative 3 transitions to trench and then into tunnel near Port Jefferson where the alternative continues across the Long Island Sound in tunnel, emerging in New Haven County, Connecticut.
Read more about various NEC Proposals here :

dimlys1994, mrsmartman, Buffaboy liked this post
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:33 AM   #6199
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Amtrak NEC Plans for Maryland & Delaware

Alternative 1

-Maryland

New, two-track infrastructure in tunnel, approaching Baltimore Penn Station from the west (Figure 4-11). This new segment diverges from the existing NEC in West Baltimore, and continues in an arching path under U.S. Route 1 (North Avenue), keeping to the south of Druid Hill Park, and crossing under I-83 before reconnecting at-grade to the existing NEC north of Baltimore Penn Station.

Figure 4-11 : Alternative 1 (Existing NEC and New Segment through Baltimore)

Alternative 2

-Maryland
  • New, two-track infrastructure in tunnel, approaching Baltimore Penn Station from the west. This new segment diverges from the existing NEC in West Baltimore, and continues in an arching path under U.S. Route 1 (North Avenue), keeping to the south of Druid Hill Park, and crossing under I-83 before reconnecting at-grade to the existing NEC north of Baltimore Penn Station.
  • The existing NEC shifts approximately 300 feet at the widest point from its current location in the city of Baltimore, east of Baltimore Penn Station and continues east of I-895.
  • The existing NEC shifts approximately 500 feet at the widest point from its current location in Baltimore and Harford counties centered on the Gunpowder River.
  • The existing NEC shifts approximately 250 feet at the widest point from its current location just east of Aberdeen Rail Station.
  • New, two-track infrastructure in Cecil County, MD, beginning in Perryville, beginning west of Principio Creek, and shifting north of the existing NEC typically on an aerial structure and parallel to U.S. Route 40. The new segment continues at-grade or on embankment east through the town of North East, MD, shifting to the north side of I-95 and continuing through rural Cecil County. The segment enters New Castle County north of the West Branch of the Christina River, reconnecting with the existing NEC west of the Newark Rail Station

Alternative 2 (Existing NEC and New Segment through Maryland and Delaware)

-Delaware

New, two-track infrastructure near Wilmington, beginning east of Banning Park, shifting south of the existing NEC and east of I-95, continuing at-grade or on embankment east, crossing the Christina River, U.S. Route 13, and the Christina River again in succession. The segment shifts north, running parallel to I-495, reconnecting with the existing NEC near Fox Point State Park in Edgemoor.

Alternative 3

-Maryland

Alternative 3 continues at-grade or on embankment, through suburban Prince George's County before crossing the Patuxent River and Patuxent Research Refuge into Anne Arundel County, continuing at-grade or on embankment northeast through Maryland, shifting approximately 1,000 feet from the existing NEC for short distances near Odenton and BWI Rail Stations. North of BWI Rail Station, Alternative 3 is adjacent to the existing NEC, crossing the Patapsco River on an aerial structure, returning to at-grade or on embankment through Patapsco Valley State Park into Baltimore County. Alternative 3 continues adjacent to the existing NEC and U.S. Route 1 (Figure 4-17) into Baltimore City where it shifts east of the existing NEC in tunnel through downtown Baltimore and north of the Inner Harbor. The alternative continues at-grade near I-895 on the west side of Baltimore, continuing in the same general northeast direction, but not adjacent to, the existing NEC through Rossville and White Marsh in suburban Baltimore County. Alternative 3 continues northeast, parallel to U.S. Route 40 through Edgewood and Riverside in Harford County before shifting closer to the existing NEC near Aberdeen Proving Ground and Aberdeen Station in northern Harford County.

Alternative 3 crosses the Susquehanna River on an aerial structure parallel to the existing NEC into Cecil County, where it shifts away from the existing NEC near Perryville and continues parallel to U.S. Route 40 through rural Cecil County and into New Castle County, DE, north of the West Branch of the Christina River.

Figure 4-17 : Alternative 3 (Existing NEC and New Segments through Baltimore)

-Delaware

Alternative 3 continues northeast into Delaware, adjacent to the existing NEC between Newark and Wilmington, typically at-grade or on an aerial structure. The alternative shifts approximately one-mile south of the existing NEC near Wilmington Station, where it crosses the Christina and Brandywine Rivers on an aerial structure through an industrial section of the city. Alternative 3 continues north adjacent to the existing NEC east of I-495, and the Delaware River and Fox Point Park in Edgemoor, and continues north, adjacent to the existing NEC into Pennsylvania.
Read the Full Report Here

Buffaboy liked this post
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:37 AM   #6200
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Shoreline Town Balks At Possible New Amtrak Line

Not surprised this alignment got backlash...

Figure 4-13 : Alternative 1 (Existing NEC and New Segment near Old Saybrook, CT and Kenyon, RI)

Source :

mrsmartman liked this post

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states