daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 16th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #6221
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

From Chicago Sun-Times:

Quote:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/7...-super-station

Emanuel pushing O'Hare high-speed rail — without Block 37 station
02/13/2016, 06:00AM

Officials released this image of what a high-speed rail hub at O'Hare International Airport might look like, City of Chicago illustration

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is forging ahead with plans to provide high-speed rail service between downtown and O’Hare International Airport, but steering clear of the Block 37 super-station his predecessor spent $200 million to build.

“There are a couple of alternative routes we believe have merit. I’m not at liberty to discuss them. But we have determined fairly clearly that Block 37 is not a feasible terminus,” Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans said Friday.

“It would completely disrupt the existing CTA service that uses that area. Even to get into that space, you have to use those rails lines on either side of it. Trains entering and exiting create conflict”

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2016, 05:39 AM   #6222
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3033

California high-speed rail's first leg to connect Central and Silicon valleys

Quote:
California's ambitious plan for high-speed rail service will become reality within a decade with service between the state's agricultural Central Valley and high-tech Silicon Valley, state officials announced on Thursday.
In an updated draft plan for the rail line that will whisk passengers from Los Angeles to San Francisco in under three hours by 2029, the California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) revised downward the cost of the entire line, to $64.1 billion from nearly $68 billion.
The draft plan includes a new initiative to request $2.9 billion in additional funding from the federal government.
The first leg of the line would connect Kern County in the state's agricultural breadbasket to San Jose in Silicon Valley by 2025.
The state had previously said the first leg would run from Merced, in the heart of the Central Valley, to Burbank, in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley, and would be completed by 2022.
The newly defined initial leg, estimated to cost $19.8 billion, would be covered by funds already available for the rail line. Additional federal funds, if secured, would help extend the initial leg south to Bakersfield.
"No other sequence works as quickly and as effectively," said Dan Richard, CHSRA board chair. "What we're talking about here is to do this in a way that is realistic, achievable, and fast. No one is getting left behind."
California’s project is one of a handful of high-speed trains planned in the United States, which has failed to keep pace with Europe and Asia, where such trains have become commonplace.
Of the U.S. plans, California's is considered the most ambitious - with travel speeds over 200 miles per hour - and the farthest along after breaking ground in 2014.
The project has captured attention from international firms, financiers and train manufacturers that view it as a foothold into a burgeoning high-speed rail market in the United States.
California would eventually tap private firms and investors to help cover roughly one-third of the total project cost. But first, the state must get an initial segment "up and running as quickly as possible" to prove ridership, said Richard.
"That is the fastest way to unlock the private sector investment," said Richard. "That then helps us build out the rest of the system."
The state has raised about $13.2 billion through state and federal funds, plus a pledge of cap-and-trade proceeds - funds paid by companies to offset carbon emissions.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ca...-idUSKCN0VS01R
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...e61243037.html

jchernin, dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by prageethSL; February 19th, 2016 at 07:00 AM.
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #6223
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

UNITED STATES | High Speed Rail

Well glad to see they are choosing viability. Also do they really think that the federal government is going to pony up 2.9 while this congress is in charge?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 09:54 AM   #6224
jobecob

Likes (Received): 46

I still wish that they would do the Burbank to Valley section first since I believe there will be much more ridership from a larger pool of population of the two areas.
jobecob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 09:08 PM   #6225
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...s-no-easy-fix/

Really it wouldn't help? It seems like the perfect way to reduce the number flights between SF, LA, SD and Sacramento.

And don't say the Hyperloop it is untested, will do nothing to help mid-way cities (as is currently a point to point system), also it seems to be a vanity project at this point. Honestly I'd be more receptive of a Maglev system.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:28 AM   #6226
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
Observed speeds on a recent “Acela Express” train trip.

http://tumble.mlcastle.net/post/3659...-acela-express
This is a really cool map
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 04:15 AM   #6227
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
New York state Empire Corridor.
It is not new but I didn't see anybody posted this for at least last year.
More info here:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/content/deliv...g_Brochure.pdf
and here:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/empire-corridor

They need to go with the first 3 options. Any option that bypasses Utica is bad for the local economy IMO. It really needs access to better transportation, the closest major airport is an hour away.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 05:33 PM   #6228
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1030

Who said that all those things can only happen exclusive of HSR investment? There's plenty of money in California to support all those things, and plenty of money that California sends to the rest of the country that ought to be returned in the form of federal investment in the state.

Anywho, I'm not going to waste too much time arguing with someone whose slogan is "taxation is theft".

zaphod, jchernin, CNB30, prageethSL liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:01 AM   #6229
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Quote:
I agree that spending money on massive highway infrastructure projects helped created our current autocentric lifestyle. I'm opposed to it. Highway subsidies need to end, people who use them should be paying the full cost of them.
Everyone likes to say this but autocentric lifestyles are also related to the number of people actually owning cars. It would have happened anyways. When you really think about it, interurban and streetcars were dying before freeways were built. Intercity buses lasted longer because they used to carry mail and packages, a practice that's now over. At least freeways made it affordable for everyone to move around by car rather than some people paying a lot to commute because they can't afford to live anywhere else.

Countries like Japan went another direction perhaps because the masses weren't as rich at first for cars(kei cars were made in response) and that gave railways a second chance to influence land use during the post-war boom. Even then, all their freeways are tolled but that hasn't stopped sprawl and a retreat of mass transit.

What may have harmed US cities more was overzealous zoning laws and too-high parking minimum. Of course that can be fixed...

Anyways, the way I see it, CAHSR will be helpful because it will connect troubled places like Bakersfield and Fresno to the more economically dynamic SF and LA. A business manager or a doctor might be able to afford to commute by this thing.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

jchernin, aquaticko liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; February 23rd, 2016 at 05:01 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:21 AM   #6230
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Any word on the new HSR route to be built in Connecticut?
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:06 PM   #6231
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Anyways, the way I see it, CAHSR will be helpful because it will connect troubled places like Bakersfield and Fresno to the more economically dynamic SF and LA. A business manager or a doctor might be able to afford to commute by this thing.
It would seem that cities in the Central Valley would greatly benefit from HSR for the reasons you mentioned above. The irony is that, with the exception of Fresno, many of the cities are fighting the rail project. I can understand the problems with rural land owners opposing it but have trouble understanding why Bakersfield and Hanford are not for it.

jchernin liked this post
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #6232
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Any word on the new HSR route to be built in Connecticut?
No route has been decided at this time... Well probably hear about a solid plan by the summer..
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #6233
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Acela Express Crawling through New Rochelle

Acela Express at New Rochelle
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Eastbound Acela Express marching through Harrison,NJ

Eastbound Acela Express
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Buffaboy, CNB30 liked this post
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #6234
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

It would be cool if some Acela Express could be painted in PRR livery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_M...oliner1968.jpg

Last edited by mrsmartman; March 4th, 2016 at 06:37 PM.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #6235
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

I've seen some images of those being tested on the Reading.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 02:31 AM   #6236
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
It would be cool if some Acela Express could be painted in PRR livery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_M...oliner1968.jpg
Which came first?

Old March 5th, 2016, 02:38 AM   #6237
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Which came first?

Are you talking about the PRR logo as compared to the TTC logo, or the TTC as compared to the Metroliner.

I'm honestly clueless as to the origin of the PRR Keystone, so I would like to know myself if anyone has the information. But I think that the TTC is from the 1920s.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 02:52 AM   #6238
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3033

Nevada’s delegates launch bill to fast-track high-speed rail project

Quote:
Members of Nevada’s congressional delegation on Thursday announced the introduction of legislation that they hope will fast-track the XpressWest project to provide high-speed passenger rail service between Las Vegas and Southern California with stops in Victorville and Palmdale.
Under bills introduced in both the House and Senate, 520 acres of the Mojave National Preserve would be transferred to the Bureau of Land Management from the National Park Service.
That transfer is needed to ease construction of the preferred route for the XpressWest project because the Park Service lacks a clear process to allow infrastructure development, according to a press release.
“This shorter and more economically efficient route avoids unnecessary impacts on wildlife and habitat while also preventing the need to tunnel under hills, which is required by alternate routes,” the release stated.
The bills were introduced in the Senate by Nevada Republican Dean Heller with Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada as the co-sponsor, and in the House by Nevada Republican Rep. Joe Heck with fellow Nevada Republicans Cresent Hardy and Mark Amodei as co-sponsors.
“We need an ‘all of the above’ approach when it comes to addressing our transportation needs and enhancing tourism opportunities for Las Vegas,” said Heller, who introduced the bill previously, a common practice in Congress.
“The XpressWest rail project will promote economic development and significantly boost tourism to Nevada, benefiting our state for years to come.”
Reid cited his past support for high-speed rail in Nevada.
“Allowing the border of the Mojave Preserve to be pulled back from the freeway in exchange for more vital inholdings within the Preserve is also a win for conservation,” he said.
Heck focused on allowing the XpressWest project to pursue the most economically efficient route by the “simple land transfer.”
In November, the Nevada High-Speed Rail Authority unanimously approved the high-speed rail project offered by XpressWest, a train company based in Las Vegas.
With that vote, the company became the state’s franchisee and gained the state as its advocate for the proposal.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ne...d-rail-project
Old March 5th, 2016, 03:23 AM   #6239
Nexis
Dark Wolf

New ACES Signal Transponders on the New Haven Line...

New Signaling Equipment
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Old March 5th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #6240
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

Minneapolis-Rochester high speed rail decision expected by July

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/03...pected-by-july

dimlys1994 liked this post
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states