daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 5th, 2016, 05:08 AM   #6241
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4958

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Are you talking about the PRR logo as compared to the TTC logo, or the TTC as compared to the Metroliner.

I'm honestly clueless as to the origin of the PRR Keystone, so I would like to know myself if anyone has the information. But I think that the TTC is from the 1920s.
I was talking about the similarity in logos.

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2016, 06:18 AM   #6242
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Which came first?

The PRR's iconic keystone logo references "The Keystone State" (Pennsylvania's traditional nickname). It was already such an established brand by the 1920s it occurs everywhere in PRR architecture. AFAIK it goes back to the Gilded Age, if not even further.

The brand is iconic to the point where it's been used in e.g. beer brands:

This is what the PRR brand derives from:

To my eyes it looks like the TTC logo would be derived from the PRR logo and not the other way around -- notice that the top thingy is decoration on the keystone logo while the bottom part is what you actually need to hold an arch up. The TTC logo lacks the bottom part and emulates the more iconic parts of the PRR logo without having what the PRR logo proper is referencing.

zaphod, aquaticko, siamu maharaj liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:50 AM   #6243
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
New ACES Signal Transponders on the New Haven Line...
Eurobalises?
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #6244
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Eurobalises?
Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 01:58 PM   #6245
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

I know what ACSES is. Mainly because Alstom is one of the developers of ACSES and has its own line of Eurobalises I wouldn't surprise me that those ACSES transponders are in fact slightly changed Eurobalises. Why would you develop something different when you already have something fit for the purpose? Oh wait, the rail business - worldwide, not only NA - is 'special' so it only makes sense that you can't reuse components that work somewhere else, right?
Old March 10th, 2016, 12:46 AM   #6246
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

In major win for high-speed rail, judge rejects claims by Kings County foes of bullet train

Sacramento court denies Kings County effort to halt project

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...e64736672.html

zaphod, aquaticko, jchernin, Nexis, dimlys1994 and 2 others liked this post
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 04:27 AM   #6247
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Acela Express Galore yesterday in and around Newark,NJ

Westbound Acela Express slowly crawls through the Ironbound...

An Early Morning Walk around The Ironbound - Westbound Acela Expres
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Eastbound Acela Express racing past my stopped train in Kearny JCT...

Eastbound Acela Express roaring Kearny JCT
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

Westbound Acela Express roaring towards Secaucus JCT

Westbound Acela Express approaching Secaucus JCT
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

jchernin, mrsmartman, dimlys1994, Buffaboy liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #6248
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

I don't know if any of you can answer this (maybe Nexis) but will NYS or CSX replace the signals west of Schenectady to allow Amtrak trains to travel greater than 79 MPH and reach a top speed of 110? See what I mean in this video.

It wasn't apparent to me how slow these trains actually go west of Schenectedy until I watched that, because I'm used to sluggish speeds. Anybody know anything about why this is?
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #6249
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

They are examining it. But part of the problem is interference with freight traffic and a lack of priority for passenger trains.

Buffaboy, aquaticko liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #6250
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:
They are examining it. But part of the problem is interference with freight traffic and a lack of priority for passenger trains.
A continuous third or fourth rail would work wonders on the corridor. I heard it was ripped out years ago after NY Central collapsed.
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #6251
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
A continuous third or fourth rail would work wonders on the corridor. I heard it was ripped out years ago after NY Central collapsed.
AS NYC collapsed.

You can still see the traces-the RoW is wide enough in virtually every part from Grand Central to Chicago. But it was ripped up in the late '50s/early '60s, except for the electric lines.

There are some stretches (Albany-Schenectady) that are even SINGLE TRACK. That's pretty bad.

Thankfully, that particular stretch is planned for doubling. That will eliminate a major bottleneck, as will installing a fourth track at Albany-Rensselaer station.

CNB30, Buffaboy liked this post
Old March 16th, 2016, 01:14 AM   #6252
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:
AS NYC collapsed.

You can still see the traces-the RoW is wide enough in virtually every part from Grand Central to Chicago. But it was ripped up in the late '50s/early '60s, except for the electric lines.

There are some stretches (Albany-Schenectady) that are even SINGLE TRACK. That's pretty bad.

Thankfully, that particular stretch is planned for doubling. That will eliminate a major bottleneck, as will installing a fourth track at Albany-Rensselaer station.
You speak of single track, the Amtrak tracks from downtown Buffalo to Tonawanda are also single tracked, although they don't get much traffic. Be that as it may, if commuter rail service were to ever start in the area, they would need to restore the second track:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9142.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old March 16th, 2016, 02:00 AM   #6253
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

On my trips during grad school from Boston to Cleveland, the Albany-Schenectady stretch was one of the better ones. It was east of Albany, in western Mass, that was really painful. Not that I expect any real improvements on that part of the line...ever, but just as a passenger, it was bad.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 02:39 AM   #6254
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
On my trips during grad school from Boston to Cleveland, the Albany-Schenectady stretch was one of the better ones. It was east of Albany, in western Mass, that was really painful. Not that I expect any real improvements on that part of the line...ever, but just as a passenger, it was bad.
Are you talking about speed, track quality, capacity, or what?

I remember that a portion of the line just east of Albany was torn up by PC about 1971 because when Amtrak started there was no Albany-Boston service. When it was reinstated, they put the tracks back.
Old March 16th, 2016, 04:46 AM   #6255
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

All the above, really. The tracks follow what I assume was the original alignment, and it is curvy as all get out. I'm sure working out a straighter path on the route is way down the list of priorities, somewhere around a high-speed Boise-to-Helena route, but it was grinding, just the same.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #6256
ren0312

Likes (Received): 21

The way to fix the rail network is for Amtrak to become some sort of giant parastatal controlling the entire passenger and freight rail network in the country, so it can coordinate passenger and freight operations properly, like in China, Russia, France, Switzerland, and Germany, basically in Europe you just have one giant company controlling the entire rail network in the country, or give Amtrak sufficient money to buy and maintain the entire rail network in the country, with the freight operations using it and paying for their use, like how airlines pay landing fees to airports.

jonasry liked this post
ren0312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 02:28 PM   #6257
jonasry

Likes (Received): 147

Well, that might be one possibility. But politically unlikely in the near future, a more pragmatic approach would be to give both Amtrak and states more right towards the railway companies. So that a state wanting to implement inter-city passenger rail could have a greater advantage towards the owner of the tracks.

I know this have been implemented in Mexico quite recently, where track owners now have to yield for any eventual implementation of passenger trains.
jonasry está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #6258
ren0312

Likes (Received): 21

How would prioritizing passenger over freight rail impact the economy? Maybe the economy would take a hit if business can't get their goods on time if freight trains are held up to make way for passenger trains and shortages in vital goods occur?
ren0312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 05:22 PM   #6259
00Zy99

Generally speaking, the impact of passenger trains on freight trains is minimal. Passenger trains run on a known timetable, and can therefore be scheduled around to a much greater degree than freight trains. Furthermore, most freight movements are not so time-sensitive as to be tremendously impacted by a relatively small number of additional trains. And most passenger trains bring at least some upgrades to the rail network, if only so that they can operate safely at the optimal speed.
Old March 17th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #6260
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

As long as freight railroads own the tracks they will run really long freight trains when ever they please to keep their operations at a profit.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states