daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 18th, 2016, 05:00 PM   #6261
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3034

CHSR Fresno River Viaduct superstructure construction

https://web.facebook.com/CaliforniaHighSpeedRail?_rdr

sdery, mrsmartman, pai nosso, zaphod, Buffaboy and 4 others liked this post

Last edited by prageethSL; March 18th, 2016 at 05:06 PM.
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:47 PM   #6262
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Wouldn't it make sense to split the California High-Speed Rail project from the existing "high speed" Acela talk?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:50 PM   #6263
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Not yet because we also talk about the nascent Texas plans until they both become so Big that they dominate the conversation leaving the NEC in the dust.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:01 PM   #6264
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Now, now. The NEC is still progressing. I just read an article recently about the Frankford Cutoff realigning the NEC through part of Philly.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 04:45 AM   #6265
Tower Dude

Hmm there maybe money for that indeed

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Old March 23rd, 2016, 04:52 AM   #6266
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Now, now. The NEC is still progressing. I just read an article recently about the Frankford Cutoff realigning the NEC through part of Philly.
The annoying thing, as a New Englander, is that essentially all of the work on the NEC seems to be happening south of New York. Boston has always been a bit distant from NYC/Philly/DC end of the megalopolis because, well, it's more distant, but I think it's going to feel itself evermore cut-off from the activity in the corridor unless things start improving on its end.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 04:56 AM   #6267
00Zy99

They are doing work in Rhode Island, and the Connecticut River Bridge is coming along.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:21 AM   #6268
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
...link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
The annoying thing, as a New Englander, is that essentially all of the work on the NEC seems to be happening south of New York. Boston has always been a bit distant from NYC/Philly/DC end of the megalopolis because, well, it's more distant, but I think it's going to feel itself evermore cut-off from the activity in the corridor unless things start improving on its end.
The electrification north of New Haven is much more recent, and the curvature problems in Connecticut are some of the most difficult on the entire Northeast Corridor.

South of New York, the alignment is generally better, but the electrification is older and needs to be replaced.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:22 AM   #6269
Tower Dude

Ya I was about the say, the electrification of the NEC past New Haven was pretty big, then again that was almost 20 years of but that timeline seems fairly par for the course for the NEC.

Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:18 PM   #6270
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Not yet because we also talk about the nascent Texas plans until they both become so Big that they dominate the conversation leaving the NEC in the dust.
The thing is, all NEC talk is basically just about small improvements. Nothing that will create true HSR in the region. The CAHSR project will actually be a true HSR and construction is starting.

I guess when works are more advanced it would make sense to split that from this thread.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 09:41 PM   #6271
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Taken Yesterday from the 7 Train.... New Catenary and Signals in Sunnyside

Northeast Corridor viewed from the 7 Train
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Buffaboy, FM 2258, mrsmartman liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:42 PM   #6272
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
...link?

The electrification north of New Haven is much more recent, and the curvature problems in Connecticut are some of the most difficult on the entire Northeast Corridor.

South of New York, the alignment is generally better, but the electrification is older and needs to be replaced.
Exactly. That's why the fact that these relatively quick-to-solve problems are being fixed first is all the more disappointing. It's just going to be that much longer before anything resembling true high-speed service comes to Boston.

It's precisely this type of situation (actually, only this type of situation) that makes me envy the Chinese: **** the landholders, **** any kind of EIR. Just do it.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:00 PM   #6273
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
The thing is, all NEC talk is basically just about small improvements. Nothing that will create true HSR in the region. The CAHSR project will actually be a true HSR and construction is starting.

I guess when works are more advanced it would make sense to split that from this thread.
The last round of the NEC master plan that I looked at seemed to be taking the Eastern Connecticut bypass pretty seriously. Combine that with some of the projects in Maryland and New Jersey, and it starts to look half-way decent (160 on the Jersey Raceway is already available).
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:15 PM   #6274
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Exactly. That's why the fact that these relatively quick-to-solve problems are being fixed first is all the more disappointing. It's just going to be that much longer before anything resembling true high-speed service comes to Boston.

It's precisely this type of situation (actually, only this type of situation) that makes me envy the Chinese: **** the landholders, **** any kind of EIR. Just do it.
Not just the Chinese , but even 3rd world / Developing nations in Africa are doing things faster then us...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 12:08 AM   #6275
00Zy99

...with help from the Chinese, and following their same model.
Old March 24th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #6276
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:

Hey now, us south of New York waited our turn to improve on the Pennsylvania's infrastructural legacy. Stop trying to hog all the investment dollars.

mrsmartman, aquaticko liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 11:44 AM   #6277
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

What's the current overall situation with CHSR? Is the construction still exclusively in the first 22 mile segment and if so when is it going to start further south? Also as I understand funding is available only for the first phase (Merced-Bakersfield). When is the official deadline for finishing this phase?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #6278
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Is the Texas Central Railway project getting closer to construction or are they still working through the planning phase? I think this project could be very successful as the construction costs should be significantly lower than the CAHSR project given the flat terrain and existing corridors. Only downside is that there are not currently planning for a downtown Houston station (at least in the first phase).
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #6279
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Hey now, us south of New York waited our turn to improve on the Pennsylvania's infrastructural legacy. Stop trying to hog all the investment dollars.
Did we mention the B&P and Hudson Tunnels that need replacing? And the Portal and Susquehanna Bridges as well?
Old March 26th, 2016, 05:38 AM   #6280
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Siemens electric locomotives

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...comotives.html

Your Trusted Source of Photo from Pennsylvania
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states