daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 8th, 2016, 04:22 AM   #6301
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
American freight companies are too cheap to install electrification, also it would require them to abandon current loading gauges which are specifically designed to move massive amounts of freight, which is very profitable. So yes diesel, really.
I think it is possible to have electrification at current loading gauges and double stack operation. Its just that all this needs capital investment to electrify the lines and purchase electric/electrodiesel locomotives. And I am not sure then railway companies have made such huge investments in the last several decades. Its just easy to maintain the status quo.
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:49 AM   #6302
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Indian View Post
I think it is possible to have electrification at current loading gauges and double stack operation. Its just that all this needs capital investment to electrify the lines and purchase electric/electrodiesel locomotives. And I am not sure then railway companies have made such huge investments in the last several decades. Its just easy to maintain the status quo.
There are a few sections of the SEPTA regional rail network that share there trackage with double stacked freight trains. The wires are abit higher to allow for the freight clearances...but nothing to complex is needed..
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:52 AM   #6303
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Taken Yesterday - 4/6/16

Secaucus JCT

Westbound Acela Express roaring through the Station

Early Morning Northeast Corridor Rush Hour at Secaucus JCT
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:53 AM   #6304
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Diesel? Really?
Those Brightline trains are our equivalent of InterCity 125s ... 30 years later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
American freight companies are too cheap to install electrification, also it would require them to abandon current loading gauges which are specifically designed to move massive amounts of freight, which is very profitable. So yes diesel, really.
It's somewhat more complex than that. Electrification is really expensive. So expensive, in fact, that one could argue that their attempt to electrify the Pacific Extension was what doomed the Milwaukee Road, in the end. Most railroad electrification projects globally are backed by national rail corporations and other state mechanisms, which don't really have the profit requirement US railroads do.

If oil prices were sustained at a rate where the freight railroads decided the long-term cost savings were worth the enormous upfront capital of electrification (didn't Warren Buffet say that would be if oil cost $5/gal or something?) then you would almost certainly start to see the freight railroads start to electrify their systems at a furious rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I think those diesel loco info should be in the conventional US railway thread.
Is the InterCity 125 a conventional train or a high-speed train?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
There are a few sections of the SEPTA regional rail network that share there trackage with double stacked freight trains. The wires are abit higher to allow for the freight clearances...but nothing to complex is needed..
I've also heard of double-stacks moved under wire in China ... there's no technical constraint against having a clearance standard capable of handling that.

prageethSL liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #6305
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

You have to remember that we're talking about hundreds to thousands of miles for each major route in the US. That's a LOT of wire. And then you have to worry about flexibility-if you have an accident on an electric line it is rather harder to detour the trains unless ALL the lines are electric, which is another fortune.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #6306
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Is there really that much of an advantage of electrifying freight lines? Most of the advantages are really relevant only for passenger trains. Of course unless the oil prices are vastly higher than they are now.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 09:16 AM   #6307
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Taken on Wednesday - 4/6/16

Eastbound Acela Express to Boston at Newark Penn

Evening Rush Hour at Newark Penn Station
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #6308
Tintin72

Likes (Received): 39

Looks like our french TGV

Tintin72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 03:15 AM   #6309
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin72 View Post
Looks like our french TGV
Too bad it cant MOVE like your French TGV

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

hammersklavier, washiwashi liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 03:22 AM   #6310
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Is there really that much of an advantage of electrifying freight lines? Most of the advantages are really relevant only for passenger trains. Of course unless the oil prices are vastly higher than they are now.
Electric locomotives generally can be more powerful than comparable diesel electric locomotives on per ton of loco weight basis. They generally perform better on challenging gradients such as Cowan bank in NSW, Australia or Cranberry Grade in WV, USA. For high density freight routes using electric traction would reduce fuel use with associated savings for the railroad companies. The low crude prices make diesel more attractive now but that won't be the case in the long term.

Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 07:26 AM   #6311
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3035

pai nosso, dimlys1994 liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:48 AM   #6312
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Holy crap water in the Fresno River.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Fan Railer liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #6313
Bulbous

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
It's somewhat more complex than that. Electrification is really expensive. So expensive, in fact, that one could argue that their attempt to electrify the Pacific Extension was what doomed the Milwaukee Road, in the end.
It would be far easier to argue that the mistake was not taking up the GE project to both upgrade the existing electrification segments as well as electrifying the section between the two existing segments for around $34 million at the time (1971 I think) and instead having it all de-energised and spending the same money instead on SD-40s right when the oil crisis hit. Having to run the diesel fleet right through with additional electric units for those sections was definitely not efficient fleet management, and having the section from Tacoma right through to Harlowtown electrified would have given a far better result from both fleet utilisation and maintenance points of view.

Cheers,

Matt
Bulbous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 08:03 AM   #6314
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Pittsburgh Station - Some Thoughts

http://testplant.blogspot.com/2012/0...-thoughts.html

Your Trusted Source of Photographs from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

patel2897 liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 03:01 PM   #6315
Nexis
Dark Wolf

MARC MultiLevel 125MPH Speed Qualification Test Train @ Princeton JCT

elab, FM 2258 liked this post
Old April 17th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #6316
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Huh.

So were the Kawasaki multilevels already certified for 125? And why did they need to certify the MARC Bombardier cars? Didn't they already test the identical NJTransit multilevels?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 06:29 AM   #6317
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Huh.

So were the Kawasaki multilevels already certified for 125? And why did they need to certify the MARC Bombardier cars? Didn't they already test the identical NJTransit multilevels?
I'm sure fan railer knows the answer to this..
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #6318

Likes (Received): 1439

Bill O'Reilly bashed Airline companies and supports High Speed Rail. Didn't see that one coming.

(at 3:48)

1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #6319
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbous View Post
It would be far easier to argue that the mistake was not taking up the GE project to both upgrade the existing electrification segments as well as electrifying the section between the two existing segments for around $34 million at the time (1971 I think) and instead having it all de-energised and spending the same money instead on SD-40s right when the oil crisis hit. Having to run the diesel fleet right through with additional electric units for those sections was definitely not efficient fleet management, and having the section from Tacoma right through to Harlowtown electrified would have given a far better result from both fleet utilisation and maintenance points of view.

Cheers,

Matt
Hah I am well-versed in the story of the Milwaukee's epic mismanagement. Going from "most profitable transcon" to "bankrupt" in a decade takes more than just incompetence, it takes a sort of anti-competence where total incompetents would do a better job than you.

The argument I'm referencing is essentially that the initial electrification project in the '20s destroyed the Milwaukee's long-term capital reserves. Unlike, say, the Rock Island, which was able to keep running some 20ish years after it became functionally insolvent (it last posted a profit in the late '50s IIRC), the Milwaukee simply didn't have the reserves necessary to weather storms.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 07:43 AM   #6320
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

The NJT multilevels are NOT certified for 125. The ALP-45s are (or at least they were tested with the Amtrak Viewliners. MARC is certifying theirs now because they actually run their Penn Line trains at 125, and would like to use the MLVs on that line with the electric locomotives. When it comes time, NJT will have to run their own 125 certification tests on their MLVs.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states