daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 31st, 2016, 10:24 PM   #6381
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany View Post
why should they build it on bridges? That would make the whole thing just prohibitively expensive. The route will be mostly on flat land with insignificant population density. Ideal to keep the cost/km down.
Personally after seeing how viaducts work for high speed rail in China I feel like that is the best implementation for HSR. Despite the cost it causes the least disruption on the environment compared to building on the ground or berms. I also imagine putting tracks on the ground will cut off a lot of roads that farmers need to efficiently feed the cities this line will serve. Otherwise ensure every road this line cuts through has a bridge to go over the tracks. This is the way I'd like to see HSR implemented in Texas.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2016, 07:00 AM   #6382
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3034

XpressWest executives have talked Hyperloop One about high-speed rail project

Quote:
Executives with XpressWest, the company franchised to build a high-speed rail line between Las Vegas and Southern California, have talked with officials with Hyperloop One, the high-tech, high-speed transport system under development in North Las Vegas.
But don’t expect any changes in the rail company’s strategy to build a steel-wheels-on-rails system that would link Las Vegas with Victorville, California, with future plans to expand to Palmdale, California, and downtown Los Angeles.
Responding to a question from a member of the Nevada High-Speed Rail Authority on Tuesday, XpressWest Chief Operating Officer Andrew Mack said company officials talked with the developers of Hyperloop, a technology that would use magnetically levitated pods to carry passengers and cargo at speeds of more than 600 mph through tubes.
“We’re not advocates of any one technology, but if it’s viable, we’d consider it,” Mack said.
But he also said that when XpressWest applied for and received the exclusive franchise to develop a high-speed system connecting Southern Nevada with Southern California, one requirement was to develop a system compatible with and interoperable with existing high-speed rail technology, such as the one proposed for the California High-Speed Rail System.
Mack and a financial consultant gave the authority board an update on XpressWest’s $8 billion, 185-mile, dual-track system with no grade crossings between Las Vegas and Victorville, roughly along the Interstate 15 right-of-way.
The project’s second phase would extend the track 50 miles west from Victorville to Palmdale, where it would intersect with existing commuter rail service.
Eventually, that commuter rail would be upgraded to high-speed rail when the California system is completed. In the third phase, XpressWest trains would link directly to the California line.
The fully electric, standard-gauge train would have multiple units capable of operating on California High-Speed Rail tracks. The company envisions an average round-trip fare of $100 with trains running every 20 minutes to and from Victorville during peak periods.
A station would be built in Las Vegas on the west side of I-15, just north of Russell Road.
While testing the viability of its system at the Apex Industrial Park, Hyperloop One has begun an international competition to determine the best place to build the first operating Hyperloop system. The deadline for submissions is in September; a winner is expected to be selected in March.
Meanwhile, XpressWest is working to keep its existing entitlements current as a long list of federal and state agencies review the proposal.

Mack said groundbreaking on the project, once forecast for fall,has been pushed back to early 2017. The government entities involved in approvals have stalled the regulatory process, he said, and the company wants to close on a financing plan by early next year.

He said the Federal Aviation Administration will have to weigh in on the project because some of the track entering Las Vegas near Mandalay Bay will be elevated and every catenary pole must be reviewed because the track will pass below runway flight paths at McCarran International Airport.
Jamison said investors have shown strong interest in the project and that financing is “progressing well.”

dimlys1994, skyscraperhighrise liked this post

Last edited by prageethSL; June 1st, 2016 at 07:12 AM.
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 06:08 AM   #6383
prageethSL

Twin Cities to Rochester HSR Service

Quote:

Forces are aligning in Minnesota to bring foreign and domestic funders together on the world’s first privately capitalized high-speed rail (HSR) corridor—a 77-mile, 200 mph train that will connect the MSP region with Rochester.
Unlike halting state efforts to initiate costly passenger rail projects, this project, estimated at $2 billion to $4 billion, could, if built entirely with private capital, move through Dakota, Goodhue, and Olmsted counties like a hot knife through butter.
Or could it? The fledgling company behind the effort, North American High Speed Rail (NAHSR), consists of a small band of strategists and international investment aggregators with no experience building or operating railroads in the U.S. The technical expertise will likely be outsourced to China, while the bulk of domestic efforts will go to raising money and assuaging rural fears about the taking of land, since the project as planned would make use of eminent domain.
And there are larger goals, involving building or connecting to Chicago and a Midwest HSR network. But Rochester comes first—and that seems to be challenge enough.

k.k.jetcar, dimlys1994 liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 09:02 AM   #6384
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

I thought this was killed?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 04:29 PM   #6385
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I thought this was killed?
This is a privately-funded version.

I'm just a little wary of Chinese involvement, though.

Jordbcn liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #6386
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

This could work for people from rochester who would be flying somewhere. No need for puddle.jumper flights.

I think a central Rochester stop by the med complex would be better though.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #6387
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

High-Speed Rail: It's Happening

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #6388
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

XpressWest and China part ways

Quote:
Nine months after announcing that China would help build a high-speed rail line from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, the private U.S. company behind the plan said late Wednesday that the deal was off.

XpressWest said the decision to terminate the relationship with China Railway International was based “primarily upon difficulties associated with timely performance and CRI’s challenges in obtaining required authority to proceed with required development activities.”

XpressWest indicated that its “biggest challenge” was a federal government requirement that high-speed trains must be manufactured in the United States to secure regulatory approvals.
http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la...nap-story.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #6389
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
I call BS. I think it is more plausible that it has to do with the CAHSRA pivoting away from the LA Basin to the Peninsula, for the IOS.
Old June 14th, 2016, 05:09 AM   #6390
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
XpressWest indicated that its “biggest challenge” was a federal government requirement that high-speed trains must be manufactured in the United States to secure regulatory approvals.
What a dumb requirement. That just drives up cost unnecessarily.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 05:14 AM   #6391
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Personally after seeing how viaducts work for high speed rail in China I feel like that is the best implementation for HSR. Despite the cost it causes the least disruption on the environment compared to building on the ground or berms. I also imagine putting tracks on the ground will cut off a lot of roads that farmers need to efficiently feed the cities this line will serve. Otherwise ensure every road this line cuts through has a bridge to go over the tracks. This is the way I'd like to see HSR implemented in Texas.

Tracks on viaducts also result in smoother rides. And as is evidenced in Japan preserves farmland and is easier to fix when earthquakes happen.

After the giant Tohoku quake the Line was back online in short order.

It does tend to be noisier but in Texas much of the line is away from populated areas.

FM 2258 liked this post
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 06:18 AM   #6392
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
What a dumb requirement. That just drives up cost unnecessarily.
Local content rules are a common feature of infrastructure projects in almost every country in the world. As mentioned by some other posters above, the local content rules were likely just an excuse to drop the project.
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #6393
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

$2.5 billion railway is being built for Florida...in California

Quote:
Florida Gov. Rick Scott visited California in May, hoping to lure away dissatisfied business owners from high-tax California to the low-tax Sunshine State.

Now, a company in Florida behind the first privately funded U.S. high speed railway is manufacturing its trains ... in California.

The world is upside down.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/10/flori...alifornia.html

jchernin liked this post
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #6394
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

DOWNTOWN WAREHOUSE DEMOLISHED FOR HIGH SPEED RAIL

http://abc30.com/news/downtown-wareh...-rail/1383938/
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 03:41 AM   #6395
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anday View Post

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/10/flori...alifornia.html
Props for rick scott for keeping the taxes low in florida and slow down wasteful spending, screw California anyways.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 07:52 AM   #6396
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
Tracks on viaducts also result in smoother rides. And as is evidenced in Japan preserves farmland and is easier to fix when earthquakes happen.

After the giant Tohoku quake the Line was back online in short order.

It does tend to be noisier but in Texas much of the line is away from populated areas.
Keep in mind, though, that farmland in Japan is a fair bit scarcer (and therefore more expensive) than it is in East Texas.

A line elevated on a berm should have bridges where it crosses public farm roads.

mrsmartman liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #6397
prageethSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anday View Post

Old June 15th, 2016, 04:50 PM   #6398
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperhighrise View Post
Props for rick scott for keeping the taxes low in florida and slow down wasteful spending, screw California anyways.
Aside from the economic losses to congestion, the additional investment and growth derived from the railway would more than offset the cost.

And real nice about California.

hightower1 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2016, 05:31 PM   #6399
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperhighrise View Post

California gets the income. Florida gets the bill.

I'd be curious to know more details about this line. The Amtrak Cascades has a design speed ( and plan ) of 125 mph as well.

You don't just build high speed rail on existing tracks at low cost without significant trade offs.

Of course it could be that Florida does have the land available and the track times and I think this is a good thing but I'm a little wary still of rail in Florida in general given past attempts.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 06:27 PM   #6400
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
California gets the income. Florida gets the bill.

I'd be curious to know more details about this line. The Amtrak Cascades has a design speed ( and plan ) of 125 mph as well.

You don't just build high speed rail on existing tracks at low cost without significant trade offs.

Of course it could be that Florida does have the land available and the track times and I think this is a good thing but I'm a little wary still of rail in Florida in general given past attempts.
Florida's Brightline is privately funded (there is some government money, but its loans not grants).

The 125 mph is mostly going to be between Cape Canaveral and Orlando, which is NEW trackage to be built alongside the Bee Line Expressway-effectively dead-straight and completely grade-separated. The section between Cape Canaveral and Miami will use the existing Florida East Coast Railway line (FEC is the group responsible for the project).

Work hasn't started between Cape Canaveral and Orlando (aside from Orlando station), but the tracks between Canaveral and Miami are being heavily upgraded even now-more double track, new signals, etc. etc. The FEC has the advantage of having been built before Florida became developed (its what MADE Florida, actually), so it has a pretty fast alignment. Since both freight and passenger have the same corporate ownership, it doesn't have to fight for priority like Amtrak.

Most of the 125 mph running will be between Canaveral and Orlando, but there will be some 90-110 running on the old main line. The trip is scheduled to take three hours Miami-Orlando.

mrsmartman, aquaticko liked this post

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states