daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #6401
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperhighrise View Post
Props for rick scott for keeping the taxes low in florida and slow down wasteful spending, screw California anyways.
Maybe the florida governor should go further cut more taxes and privatize the state highway system as well.

particlez, aquaticko, hightower1 liked this post
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #6402
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

Bullet train expects to break ground next year

Quote:
Texas does big things.

Texas Central Partners, LLC (Texas Central), a private company that is leading the bullet train project coming to Texas, is developing a new high-speed passenger rail system that will connect Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth.

Texas Central held a railroad update Tuesday, June 7, at the Houston Northwest Chamber of Commerce. The bullet train will be the first high-speed rail the country has ever seen. Travel time on the train will be 90 minutes between Houston and Dallas with one stop in between in the Brazos Valley area. The high-speed rail will be beneficial to the nearly 50,000 Texans who travel back and forth between Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth more than once a week.

The bullet train is Japanese technology that Texas Central will be purchasing. The technology is one of the safest in the world. The train has never had a crash or fatality due to operations and has been running for over 50 years in Japan. The train has moved tens of billons of people every year, and the average annual delay is less than one minute.
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/magno...29c70f449.html

FM 2258, sweet-d liked this post
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 09:51 PM   #6403
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

3 h between Miami and Orlando if really achieved would be a solid performance. Fast enough to make sense for business trips and perhaps even make money. Depends of course also from other factors like location of stations, quality of trains, punctuality and frequency.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #6404
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Miami, West Palm Beach, and Fort Lauderdale are all downtown, centrally located. Orlando is at the airport, but there are developments planned nearby and it allows connections both to the parks and downtown.

The trains (as seen above) seem quite nice, and are planned for Wi-Fi, outlets, and all the usual goodies. We can see conference tables and the like too. Frequency, if I recall correctly, is about once an hour or less. Punctuality remains to be seen, but they do have corporate leverage and options to tailor freight service to run at night.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #6405
APieceOfToast

Likes (Received): 6

Back in 2011 or so the state of Wisconsin was given money to build high speed rail, and the governor used it for other uses despite that it was specifically for high speed rail. I'm not trying to be political here, but is it still a possibility that Wisconsin could get high-speed rail transportation anytime soon?
APieceOfToast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #6406
Jordbcn
Ya de vuelta User

Likes (Received): 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Miami, West Palm Beach, and Fort Lauderdale are all downtown, centrally located. Orlando is at the airport, but there are developments planned nearby and it allows connections both to the parks and downtown.

The trains (as seen above) seem quite nice, and are planned for Wi-Fi, outlets, and all the usual goodies. We can see conference tables and the like too. Frequency, if I recall correctly, is about once an hour or less. Punctuality remains to be seen, but they do have corporate leverage and options to tailor freight service to run at night.
Is there going to be a stop in Treasure Coast? It would make sense just to be linked to MIA or Orlando airports.
Jordbcn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #6407
00Zy99

Only vague talk on the Space Coast, as far as I know. Some towns want it, others don't (noise, "vagrants", traffic). And although it would pick up more passengers, it would slow the trains down.
Old June 16th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #6408
djrules5454

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by APieceOfToast View Post
Back in 2011 or so the state of Wisconsin was given money to build high speed rail, and the governor used it for other uses despite that it was specifically for high speed rail. I'm not trying to be political here, but is it still a possibility that Wisconsin could get high-speed rail transportation anytime soon?
Probably not until Walker is out of office.
djrules5454 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #6409
EricES

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
The funds were redistributed to other states. (Walker wanted to use if for roads/highways.)
EricES no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #6410
GodIsNotGreat

Likes (Received): 1098

"About the gods I have no way of knowing either that they exist or they don't exist, or what they are to look at. Many things prevent my knowing. Among others, the fact that they are never seen." - Protagoras

jchernin liked this post
GodIsNotGreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #6411
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3035

First Siemens Charger high speed Locos for IDOT depart Sacramento facility

mrsmartman, FM 2258 liked this post

Last edited by prageethSL; June 22nd, 2016 at 10:05 AM.
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 03:51 AM   #6412
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10376

Quote:
Scott Walker (R) turned down the $800 million and it was sent to California instead basically. Florida's governor did the same. Very dumb but what do you expect from a doctrinaire Neo-Con.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Swede liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 03:52 AM   #6413
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Indian View Post
Maybe the florida governor should go further cut more taxes and privatize the state highway system as well.

Do I care?

we don't have a taxing problem, we have a spending problem.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 03:54 AM   #6414
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Scott Walker (R) turned down the $800 million and it was sent to California instead basically. Florida's governor did the same.
Because this country is broke and what rick scott and scott walker did was right, we are sick of borrowing and spending money we don't have, I don't hate high speed rail (if it was in a free market), I think it's a waste of taxpayer money.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

Spam King liked this post
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:42 AM   #6415
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

UNITED STATES | High Speed Rail

The only count that you are right on is that Rick Scott did something or rather allowed something to happen while Scott Walker was inactive or obstructionist to the point of habit. Federal money is not the question of the this forum, the question is about the national opinion of HSR and while I disagree with Rick Scott on many things he at least believes advanced rail travel to be useful and popular to the point of profit, while Scott Walker is a dogmatic imbecile who's mood on Rail travel ranges from ambivalent to openly hostile. Do not credit him with doing the right thing, Rick Scott at least tried he did nothing.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 04:19 PM   #6416
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Dallas-Fort Worth high-speed rail plan draws worldwide interest

Quote:
ARLINGTON
Another company that has consistently shown interest during the past two years in possibly building the Dallas-Arlington-Fort Worth line is SNCF, France’s state-owned railway. However, Alain Leray, president of SNCF America, said after Monday’s meeting he is concerned that if Texas officials allow Texas Central Partners to build the Dallas-Houston line using the same technology found on trains in Japan then Texas’ system won’t be compatible with trains built by other companies.

Rail companies in other countries use “neutral” technology that can be used by competing companies, but the Japanese technology isn’t compatible, he said.

“If Texas goes with the Japanese technology, it will create a monopoly in the process,” Leray said. “Anytime you need to replace train sets, you will have only one supplier, and that will drive up the price for Texans.”

Texas Central Partners officials have said they are open to building other rail lines in Texas, but for now are focused almost entirely upon getting the Dallas-Houston component built.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/tr...#storylink=cpy
How much of this supposed "lock-in" is a true concern, and how much of it is being amplified by a potential competitor?

I can't really imagine what, other than specific signaling and other communications technologies, would make it incompatible.

Though, I do admit the adamance of TXCentral that they don't need to be concerned with interoperability, further down the line, is very annoying. Maybe they have a larger strategy that they're keeping close to their chests, but their current plans seem a bit short-sighted...
Old June 21st, 2016, 05:20 PM   #6417
00Zy99

Quote:
Because this country is broke and what rick scott and scott walker did was right, we are sick of borrowing and spending money we don't have, I don't hate high speed rail (if it was in a free market), I think it's a waste of taxpayer money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
The only count that you are right on is that Rick Scott did something or rather allowed something to happen while Scott Walker was inactive or obstructionist to the point of habit. Federal money is not the question of the this forum, the question is about the national opinion of HSR and while I disagree with Rick Scott on many things he at least believes advanced rail travel to be useful and popular to the point of profit, while Scott Walker is a dogmatic imbecile who's mood on Rail travel ranges from ambivalent to openly hostile. Do not credit him with doing the right thing, Rick Scott at least tried he did nothing.
Skyscraperhighrise is being dogmatic himself. The simple fact is that there are many infrastructure projects that are too big and expensive, too long term, or too indirectly profitable to be undertaken by private industry.

While I certainly don't agree with all of the decisions made regarding routing, no-one can deny that the interstate highway system has brought economic growth to the country, and it would never have been possible without the federal government.

Other programs such as the development of satellite technology, weather tracking, and improved agricultural technology have all been done by the government.

There are many cases where a high-speed rail line would not be able to directly recoup its capital costs within a reasonable timeframe. However, the indirect benefits, such as increased commercial activity and improved land values, would cover these costs. Allowing a private corporation to make money through these means would be a dramatic over-reach of power. Therefore, the government, which represents the whole population and does not have its own profit in mind, should be able to raise taxes to pay for the cost.

It is for a good reason that the increased growth and technical complexity of human society goes hand-in-hand with increased government, and it has been this way throughout history. Attempts to the contrary fly in the face of thousands of years of established facts.

sdery, Manitopiaaa, hightower1 liked this post

Last edited by 00Zy99; June 24th, 2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:31 PM   #6418
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Do I care?

we don't have a taxing problem, we have a spending problem.
Privatizing the highway system would reduce spending and would also reduce the taxes.

G5man liked this post
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 01:10 PM   #6419
roaddor
In the brig

Likes (Received): 5476

Hi guys, any news for the future Maglev connection between New York and Washington DC?
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 02:06 PM   #6420
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

I don't think there are any Plans for that.

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states