daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 28th, 2016, 07:29 AM   #6461
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

I, believe that this train will be a custom design using everything Alstom has developed in the past 16 years, don't forget the Acela was built before Alstom acquired Fiat Ferroviaria and there for the Pendolino so the tilting mechanisms are much more improved also the "failures" of the Acela power cars have been fixed and the solutions have been introduced into the next generation of Duplex trainset power cars. Also the traction motors of the AGV are an extreme improvement as well. So it will probably a crazy custom mix of all three to comply with FRA regs.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2016, 08:38 AM   #6462
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Amtrak: Vision for the NEC, 2012 Update Report pg. 22, Figure 22
These plans state an extension of the current Acela sets by 2 cars starting 2015. I thought they cancelled those plans?
Old July 28th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #6463
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
I, believe that this train will be a custom design using everything Alstom has developed in the past 16 years, don't forget the Acela was built before Alstom acquired Fiat Ferroviaria and there for the Pendolino so the tilting mechanisms are much more improved also the "failures" of the Acela power cars have been fixed and the solutions have been introduced into the next generation of Duplex trainset power cars. Also the traction motors of the AGV are an extreme improvement as well. So it will probably a crazy custom mix of all three to comply with FRA regs.
Well, yeah, but the information disclosures posted on this thread do seem a bit confusing. On the one hand they mention tilt-technology (i.e. the Pendolinos). On the other hand they mention speeds approaching 350 km/h, which as far as I'm aware no tilting train has ever achieved - not even in the upright-locked position. And as for making a Duplex train set tilt... well, their gravity point is so high that, shall we say, this seems to contradict high-school physics. - But I could be mistaken. Does anyone know more?
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #6464
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
These plans state an extension of the current Acela sets by 2 cars starting 2015. I thought they cancelled those plans?
Yeah, that I don't know much about...
Old July 29th, 2016, 06:21 AM   #6465
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Yes they are.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #6466
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 753

Progress on Minnesota High Speed Rail Slows

(TNS) -- A company seeking to build a high-speed rail line from Rochester to the Twin Cities with private dollars needs more time before deciding whether to push ahead with the project[...]

Proposed High-Speed Rail Routes Into South Texas Unveiled

A major transportation study is being done to determine the feasibility of high-speed rail service through Texas that could include the Rio Grande Valley[...]

Gov. Jerry Brown's best hope for high-speed rail? A Donald Trump presidency

Gov. Jerry Brown badly needs a financial angel to salvage his sputtering bullet train. Nobody ever dreamed it might be Donald Trump[...]

mrsmartman, dimlys1994 liked this post
Tågälskaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 09:38 AM   #6467
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3035

THSR facebook page
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:19 AM   #6468
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3035

Texas HSR

mrsmartman, jchernin liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:37 AM   #6469
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

If they choose AGV in the NEC, Texas will end up having Americas coolest, quietest, and most comfortable trains.

Harbornite liked this post
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:13 AM   #6470
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
If they choose AGV in the NEC, Texas will end up having Americas coolest, quietest, and most comfortable trains.
Not going to happen, not even an ice-cube in hell chance with JR Central heavily involved in the project.

Besides the European standard loading gauge is too small for Americans.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #6471
SSMEX

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
Not going to happen, not even an ice-cube in hell chance with JR Central heavily involved in the project.

I think he means that if the NEC gets the AGVs, Texas will have Shinkansen rolling stock. I personally really like the clean and efficient design of the Shinkansens but the AGV is equally as cool with its Transformer-like angular features.

prageethSL, Harbornite liked this post
SSMEX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #6472
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
I'm pretty sure the loading gauge can be changed if necessary. For example, the Russian Siemens Velaro trains are 33cm (13 in) wider than the standard train.

prageethSL, Swede liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #6473
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

Old August 11th, 2016, 11:31 AM   #6474
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMEX View Post
I think he means that if the NEC gets the AGVs, Texas will have Shinkansen rolling stock. I personally really like the clean and efficient design of the Shinkansens but the AGV is equally as cool with its Transformer-like angular features.
That's exactly what I meant. While I like the AGV (traveled on in Italy), I still find the N700 series ( at least on tracks in Japan ) to be the more comfortable, smoother, quieter ride.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #6475
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

That may be at least partly due to having entirely exclusive new-build tracks, as you noted.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 08:50 AM   #6476
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Maybe, but I have a similar experience. I've ridden the pre-redesign ICE1, both Thalys types and the Shinkansen N700. Both ICE1 and N700 are pretty close and the TGV based Thalys far worse.
Old August 13th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #6477
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

I've ridden ICE3 based units in China, and they are extremely smooth. Especially on the line Beijing-Tianjin, it was like it was floating on a cloud.

Might be track, train, or a combination of the two.
Silly_Walks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #6478
phoenixboi08

On the topic of the new, Acela rolling stock, two questions came to mind:

1. It appears they're concentrating on 12 new sets, for the short-term (2020), to be amended with an additional 32, in the medium-term (2025), and completely replaced by another 14, in the long-term (2040ish). So, do we think this will be one, large order (either figuring in all of these needs or - most likely - the short/medium-term needs), or that this contract will only cover the initial 12?

Considering just how long it took, and that Alstom was the only remaining candidate, It occurs to me that there is a good chance that this contract could be for 44 (or all 58) sets. Also, I would really want to know if they negotiated for the right to amend their order, since them exercising that right might signal they were considering/prepping for a bid to operate service in CA[HSR].

2. Concerning the initial 12, it would appear to me that Pendolino and Euroduplex might be the most obvious contenders since they're desperate to increase capacity and lower fares (I really don't know if they'd go with the AGVs, unless they're not as expensive as I think). Are the Euroduplexe's even compatible - as far as height clearances?

I can't tell if they're bi- or multi-levels, if that even makes a difference.

Last edited by phoenixboi08; August 13th, 2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typo/ clarity
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 12:59 AM   #6479
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

The Euroduplex is four inches shorter than the Bombardier Multilevel, which is built for the restrictive heights of the NEC.

That said, I personally expect something along the lines of the Pendolino, based on the need for tilting, a dislike of articulation, and some of the theoretical renders put out by Amtrak.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #6480
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
The Euroduplex is four inches shorter than the Bombardier Multilevel, which is built for the restrictive heights of the NEC.

That said, I personally expect something along the lines of the Pendolino, based on the need for tilting, a dislike of articulation, and some of the theoretical renders put out by Amtrak.
That's true, on first thought I did think of NJT's multilevels. However, I know there are some rather short bridges, further north - in CT, maybe - that might cause issues.

I do think the Pendolinos are probably favored, as well, but they're not articulated? Or is such a configuration simply a possibility?

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states