daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7th, 2017, 11:32 PM   #6861
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
Tunnelling used to be extremely expensive, but a lot has changed. It adds to a project's cost but not as much as people think.

The reality is that upgrading the existing infrastructure is going to be costly if you want to increase the speeds to proper high speed. In addition, you have problems because those speeds generate a lot of noise. The net cost in loss of land and in land devaluation should also be accounted for. It's not 0.
If tunneling has become cheaper then surely building elevated ROWs should also have become cheaper. Lets now construct partly underground- partly elevated HSR corridors along or parallel to existing railway corridors.
If we believe that cost still will get inflated due of legal/political/social issues then the same can happen to hyper loop.
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #6862
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Indian View Post
If tunneling has become cheaper then surely building elevated ROWs should also have become cheaper. Lets now construct partly underground- partly elevated HSR corridors along or parallel to existing railway corridors.
If we believe that cost still will get inflated due of legal/political/social issues then the same can happen to hyper loop.
While tunneling cost is decreasing the same can't be said for elevated ROW, because despite being elevated it'll still occupy a lot of land, and land acquisition cost is increasing fast.
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #6863
tjrgx

Likes (Received): 2801

High speed rail promoter Texas Central selects planning and construction contractors

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...ntractors.html

USA: Privately-financed high speed line project promoter Texas Central has appointed Fluor Enterprises and The Lane Construction Corp to refine the construction planning, scheduling and cost estimates for the project, and to support procurement.

It is envisaged that the two contractors would also design and build the project following financial close, although they have no equity or ownership stake and will not be involved in land acquisition. The proposed 385 km high speed line using eight-car trainsets based on Central Japan Railway’s N700 design would offer a 90 min journey time from Dallas/Fort Worth to Houston with a stop in the Brazos Valley. Environmental studies are currently underway, and Texas Central envisages that construction could begin in late 2018.

The contracts with Fluor and The Lane Construction Corp ‘underscore the attention the Texas Bullet Train has received from world class firms, wanting to be part of a project that will revolutionise travel here and generate long-lasting local economic benefits’, said Texas Central CEO Carlos Aguilar on August 14.

‘This will be America’s first true high speed train, and we’re eager to be part of the next generation of sustainable infrastructure’, said Robert E Alger, President & CEO of The Lane Construction Corp. ‘The project will create benefits for generations to come while providing an innovative transportation alternative for Texas commuters.’

‘We will use our industry experience and proven track record of delivering high speed rail projects to provide high value services for this significant infrastructure project’, added Hans Dekker, President of Fluor’s infrastructure business.

prageethSL, mrsmartman, SamuraiBlue, Anday liked this post
tjrgx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 06:56 AM   #6864
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
While tunneling cost is decreasing the same can't be said for elevated ROW, because despite being elevated it'll still occupy a lot of land, and land acquisition cost is increasing fast.
I don't know how it works in the US but elevated ROW is based on lease of airspace not complete acquisition of land space, acquisition of land is limited to the amount required to construct the support columns to raise the elevated tracks not the entire ROW.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 07:31 AM   #6865
Anday

Likes (Received): 1049

High-speed rail feasibility study between Vancouver, Seattle and Portland underway

Quote:
The vision of traveling from Vancouver to Seattle on a ultra high-speed train in just one hour is one tiny step closer towards becoming a reality after Washington State officially launched a study to examine the feasibility of such a rail link.

aquaticko, zaphod liked this post
Anday está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 07:59 PM   #6866
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Fluor Enterprises, Lane Construction on track to design, build Texas' proposed bullet train

Quote:
Irving-based Fluor Enterprises and Lane Construction Corp. have been chosen to help with the design and construction of the high-speed rail line that will carry travelers between Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston, developer Texas Central Partners said Monday.
The announcement comes after more than three years of development by Texas Central, the private company behind the $12 billion-plus venture. The project will be backed by private investors, and the company has pledged not to pursue federal or state government grants but said it may seek loans from existing transportation credit programs.

nossiano, prageethSL, mrsmartman liked this post
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 12:44 AM   #6867
Anday

Texas Central Partners inks deal with city of Houston for bullet train

Quote:
The city of Houston and Texas Central Partners have confirmed the general site for the Bayou City’s passenger station for the proposed high-speed train between Houston and Dallas.

The city and company signed an agreement Aug. 17 to plan the economic development of the bullet train together, according to a press release.
Quote:
The company estimates the project will create 10,000 jobs per year during the construction phase, which is expected to begin in late 2018 or early 2019 and finish in 2023.

prageethSL liked this post
Old August 18th, 2017, 01:33 AM   #6868
Anday

Funding Contenders Emerge as Canada’s Infrastructure Bank Is Official

Quote:
Meanwhile, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D) had talks in May with Trudeau to gain bank funding for a long-gestating high-speed-rail line that would connect northwestern U.S. cities and Vancouver, British Columbia, spokespersons for the governor confirm. They said a $350,000 project feasibility study awarded to CH2M is set for release at year-end They did not provide a proposed project cost, but the line, which media have estimated at $30 billion, also is seen as a boost for a proposed technology corridor. Trains would run at speeds of at least 400 km per hour between Vancouver and Portland, Ore., with Washington stops in Bellingham, Everett, Seattle, SeaTac, Tacoma and Olympia. The state and Microsoft Corp. are funding the study. “We have heard from some Canadian counterparts that the Canada Infrastructure Bank is a possible option, and we’re open to analyzing it.” said one spokesperson.

mrsmartman liked this post
Old August 18th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #6869
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3038

Texas Central Partners inks deal with city of Houston for bullet train

Quote:
Backers of a Texas high-speed rail line on Thursday announced for the second time this week what they called significant progress on the controversial line, inking an agreement with Houston officials, detailing the work to come.
At City Hall, Houston and Texas Central Partners announced the signing of an memorandum of understanding, which commits both sides to share environmental surveys, utility analysis and engineering related to the project and surrounding area and work together to develop new transit and other travel options to and from the likely terminus of the bullet train line.

In the memorandum, Texas Central notes the likely end of their Houston-to-Dallas line will be south of U.S. 290, west of Loop 610 and north of Interstate 10. The exact site has been long suspected as the current location of Northwest Mall.
The train will run on its own tracks, separated from roads and elevated in most places in the Houston area. Construction is expected to start late next year or early 2019, company officials said, and take between four and five years. The cost is expected to be at least $12 billion.
Old August 18th, 2017, 07:28 AM   #6870
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 247

I don't understand why the Houston station is out on the beltway in the middle of the burbs.

Qtya, Klausenburg liked this post
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #6871
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

Is the Houston station on the Beltway or the Loop? If it on the Loop then at least it will be close to the Galleria area which is Houston's "second downtown" area. It would be great to see it go all the way to central downtown Houston but I assume the trade off of cost vs. additional passengers was no optimal.
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #6872
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdery View Post
Is the Houston station on the Beltway or the Loop? If it on the Loop then at least it will be close to the Galleria area which is Houston's "second downtown" area. It would be great to see it go all the way to central downtown Houston but I assume the trade off of cost vs. additional passengers was no optimal.
It's on I-610. I suppose that's the Loop. I'm unfamiliar with the city. It's at the old Northwest Mall apparently.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #6873
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Chinese do it like this, but Chinese cities mostly have good subway systems to connect those out of the way HSR stations. How do they expect travellers from Dallas to reach Houston downtown area from that station? Many business passengers would need to do exactly that.

The Polman liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #6874
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Chinese do it like this, but Chinese cities mostly have good subway systems to connect those out of the way HSR stations. How do they expect travellers from Dallas to reach Houston downtown area from that station? Many business passengers would need to do exactly that.
I don't live in Houston, but do business and visit often so , but Houston has a very nice bus system, and I imagine there would be an express line directly to downtown. This is also on the west side of town. Lots of business is done on that side of town.

I'm surprised they are not using that rail corridor that they are using to get to the mall site, all the way into downtown. I dunno. They say costs. Perhaps that's just a busy rail corridor that rail companies aren't giving up. Maybe they might have to double deck if they went with that plan. Maybe there are noise issues. It also goes to I-10, where perhaps they could have done what Dallas is talking about doing with an extension to Fort Worth, which is to build it above I-30. I dunno, but I was expecting that line to be used until they announce the site on 610 last year.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #6875
rantanamo

And Dallas was talking about doing the same on the south side of town and linking it to DART. Dallas has an easy corridor all the way to downtown, though
Old August 19th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #6876
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Its weird that there not building it closer to the Downtown in Dallas , theres plenty of room at Union Station for a High Speed Terminal..
Visit the New Jersey Section

FM 2258, Klausenburg liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 10:04 AM   #6877
rantanamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Its weird that there not building it closer to the Downtown in Dallas , theres plenty of room at Union Station for a High Speed Terminal..
They are building it downtown, just south of Union Station over I-30 or a couple of blocks south in The Cedars. I was only referring to one of the proposals being in South Dallas, but two downtown sites are the finalists.

prageethSL liked this post
Old August 19th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #6878
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Any blue prints?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #6879
rantanamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Any blue prints?
They only announced the deal. Don't think you will see hard plans or renderings until the actual line is going to happen.
Old August 20th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #6880
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Originally, Texas Central studied putting a station on the northern edge of downtown Houston, in a location served in by the light rail. However the high added cost of getting to this location, and the threat of citizens opposing the construction of a line through a densely populated neighborhood, caused them to reconsider. The station at the old Northwest Mall is actually pretty centrally located considering just how massive the greater Houston metropolitan area is. Downtown isn't necessarily the sole center of activity in Houston anyways. A lot of people would presumably access the station by car, ride-sharing, or bus.

That said, an LRT connection would probably be desirable. About a decade ago there was a plan to build an LRT line, the Uptown Line, to the approximate location of this suburban station. But it was never built because the line it would connect to, the university line, was never built either due to politics and NIMBYism coming out of the more affluent and car-oriented western side of Houston. But now the politics are different, more people are pro-transit since the successful launch of more light rail lines, etc. I think a line heading due west out of Downtown either through the heights or down washington avenue could be proposed one day, and it would serve this station.

Anyways...

IMO, realistically speaking, this is a privately funded project whose greatest chance for success will come from taking the path of least resistance. The thing enabling this line to be built in the first place was the availability of a contiguous, straight ROW along a high voltage power line and the relatively low population density of the land between Houston and Dallas. The whole route is also pretty flat and there won't be any major bridges either.

It's a MUCH simpler route than CAHSR which will have to tunnel under mountains and cities, or updating the NEC which goes through urban areas and is so busy that no disruptions are tolerated. It's just a flat, straight line on cheap land.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

aquaticko, prageethSL liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; August 20th, 2017 at 10:16 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states