daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 23rd, 2017, 02:18 AM   #6881
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 247

It's a shame about the NEC. It won't be truly High Speed Rail according to the plans right now about which I'm rather disappointed. Unfortunately it would be too costly and hard to built it with so many NIMBY's everwhere. The plans right now are more for an upgrade to the current line but the speeds will not even reach French trains from 1970's. A bit of a joke, no? Experts have stated that it is rather a capacity improvement, and the time savings are moderate = i.e, half an hour off the trip times. I hope there are better proposals and this FRA plan never sees the light of day -- for 100+ billion that they plan to spend I'd expect something faster than 160mph top speeds.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2017, 03:27 PM   #6882
Kenni
Admin

California High Speed Rail | Update

Old September 1st, 2017, 04:26 PM   #6883
Faiyez

Likes (Received): 37

Any real reason to feel concern about the Texas Central Railway project following Houston?

FM 2258 liked this post
Faiyez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:24 PM   #6884
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

I wouldn't think so; in fact, quite the opposite. High-speed rail remains unparalleled in the ability to quickly move large numbers of people over moderate distances. If anything, a HSR line between Houston and Dallas possibly could've sped up evacuation. And, Houston being the big city that it is, I have no doubt it'll spring back.

Maybe there'll be a bit of uncertainty in the short-term, but the justification for a high-speed line between the two biggest cities in one of America's most populous states isn't changed by the damage of the storm.

Klausenburg, prageethSL liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:11 AM   #6885
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
California High Speed Rail | Update

YES!!! Construction on here is actually more than a bridge or two!

How soon till they lay track?

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

sweet-d liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 07:01 AM   #6886
luizz27

Likes (Received): 83

Tests on the new trains in South Florida

mrsmartman, JMBasquiat, Jordbcn liked this post

Last edited by luizz27; September 4th, 2017 at 07:07 AM.
luizz27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #6887
CNB30

Quote:
Originally Posted by luizz27 View Post
Tests on the new trains in South Florida

They Always run the thing at 2 miles a hour

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
Old September 4th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #6888
Talguillo

Likes (Received): 29

Hello, good afternoon to the forum members. I introduce myself, my name is Isaac and I am new in the international section of this wonderful forum, I collaborate very little in the section of Spain, so I feel my bad English. I see that every time, although it is costing in the United States is implementing the revolution of the High Speed ​​and I think very well since the country is huge and I think that a good network of this type of means of transportation is much needed to unite a large number of citizens from different areas. For what I read and if I am not mistaken is that the United States has already 3 lines (one in service a few years ago and two in construction). A line of High Performance to call it in quotes, the first one that exists in the country the well-known Acela Epress that unites the cities of Boston, Providence, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D.C. through a line of 735 kilometers in length. Then we have another line of High Performance also called more or less the same way, which will be known as Brightline is under construction and is expected to be inaugurated throughout 2017 or 2018. This new service is divided between two phases, the first that will link the cities of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach and in a second phase will extend this service between West Palm Beach and Orlando International Airport Intermsodal Terminal. Then we have the High Speed ​​service which are building the famous California High Speed ​​Rail with a total of more than 1,300 kilometers in total summing up the two phases of this project. The first project or phase 1 that has a length of approximately 855 kilometers and will link the cities of San Francisco, San Jose, Merced, Fresno, Bakersfield, Palmdale, Burbank, Los Angeles and Anaheim. And then there is the second phase that is 450 kilometers long and will link the cities of Sacramento to Merced on the one hand and from Los Angeles to San Diego on the other. I have a question to ask. Regarding the Boston - Washington line, is there going to be improvements or something to increase the speed and reduce the time of the route ?, since I understand that it is about 7 hours and that the train circulates at a reduced speed. And will there be other High Speed ​​train projects apart from these, or are they about to start their works ?. I thank you for the time to read it and appreciate every response. Thanks and best regards.

prageethSL liked this post
Talguillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #6889
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3035

Trump Supportive of Gateway Project in Meeting With State Officials

Quote:
Even though the U.S. Department of Transportation withdrew in July from the board that oversees the Gateway Program, President Trump is keeping an open-mind about the nearly $30 billion project that would add a second rail beneath the Hudson River. According to the Daily News, during a meeting at the White House between New York and New Jersey elected officials and the Trump administration, the president showed interest in the project and appeared to support having the federal government pay for half of the cost. The new train tunnel under the Hudson would provide a critical link between NJ and Penn Station.
For over an hour, Trump spoke with officials from the area, including Senators Chuck Schumer, Cory Booker and Kirsten Gillibrand, as well as Govs. Andrew Cuomo and Chris Christie. Rep. Peter King, a Republican who represents much of Long Island, said it was “one of the best meetings I have ever had at the White House or in Washington for that matter.” King added: “Nothing was signed off officially but every question had a positive answer. The impression I had was it was as close to being final as it could possibly be.”
The project’s completion is urgent, as the two-track tunnel, which takes Amtrak and NJ Transit passengers to and from New York City, is over 100 years old and was damaged severely by Hurricane Sandy. Construction of the two new tubes would allow for the damaged tunnels to be repaired. In addition to upgrading the tunnels, the plan would replace the Portal Bridge and expand Penn Station. If the damage causes one of the two tunnels to close, this could reduce train capacity into the city by 75 percent.
The Obama administration considered the Gateway project the most important transportation infrastructure project in the country. They made it a priority by fast-tracking its review process and committing half of the funding for the program.
Although Cuomo called the meeting productive, he said it was “inconclusive.” He said, “We confirmed our original agreement with the previous administration whereby the Port Authority would finance 50% with user fees and the federal government would contribute 50%,” Cuomo said. “I also affirmed that it was imperative the project would have to be done using design build like the replacement for the Tappan Zee Bridge, which the President agreed was a success.”

mrsmartman liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #6890
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10876

CHSRA

Spanish operator Renfe to bid with Amtrak, spanish infrastructure manager Adif, spanish operator of world-wide level Globalvía, among other.

Proposals submitted:

China HSR ETO Consortium
China Railway International Co., Ltd
 Beijing Railway Administration
 China Railway Eryuan Engineering Group Co., Ltd
 China Railway Corporation (China Railway)
 HJI Group Corporation
 AndersonPenna Partners, Inc.
 Casamar Group, LLC
 ADVANTEC Consulting Engineers, Inc.

DB Engineering & Consulting USA
 DB Engineering & Consulting USA, Inc.
 DB Engineering & Consulting GmbH
Deutsche Bahn AG
 Alternate Concepts, Inc.
 HDR, Inc.
 Raul V. Bravo + Associates
 FMG Architects
 Pendergast Consulting Group
 Acumen Building Enterprise, Inc.
 ProPose LLC dba Sagent
 B&G Transportation Group, LLC
 Soar Environmental Consulting, Inc.
 KL Bartlett Consulting

FS First Rail Group
Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane S.p.A.
FirstGroup plc
 Trenitalia S.p.A.
 Rete Ferroviaria Italiana S.p.A.
 CentoStazioni S.p.A.
 Italferr S.p.A.
 McKinsey & Company, Inc.
 Raul V. Bravo + Associates
 Soar Environmental Consulting, Inc.
 JAD & Associates, LLC
 Jakes Associates, Inc.
 James Transportation Group

Renfe
RENFE – Operadora Globalvia Inversiones S.A.U.
Adif
AMTRAK (National Railroad Passenger Corportation)
 360 Total Concept
 Acumen Building Enterprise, Inc.
 Aeko Consulting
 Anil Verma Associates, Inc.
 Archipelago Builders Collective
 Arman Consulting, Inc.
 Auxitec, LLC
 Bionic Landscape, Inc.
 Blair, Church & Flynn
 Bohica Advisors, LLC
 CHS Consulting Group
 Elliot Consulting Group, Inc.
 Fossil Faux Studios
 Fryman Management
 GCM Consulting, Inc.
 Global Executive Security
 Hattin Construction Management
 Irene Avetyan Consulting
 Jakes Associates, Inc.
 Kornerstone Technology, Inc.
 Merriwether & Williams Ins. Services
 Navigating Preparedness Assoc.
 Outsource Consulting Services, Inc.
 Paul Murdoch Architects
 PEMCCO, Inc.

Stagecoach is left out by not submitting an offer. We said here that they had no HS experience.

jchernin liked this post

Last edited by Gusiluz; September 12th, 2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Put full list
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #6891
CNB30

Glad to see Trump do something I can actually respect him for.

Feel The Bern #2016
Old September 12th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #6892
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
Glad to see Trump do something I can actually respect him for.
He wants to do a lot... like his daughter.

sweet-d, CNB30 liked this post
Silly_Walks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #6893
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

prageethSL liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #6894
prageethSL

California high-speed rail staff recommend German operator

Quote:
The agency overseeing California’s bullet train project recommended Friday that a U.S. subsidiary of a German rail company design and operate a train segment from the Central Valley to Silicon Valley in its early stages.
The California High-Speed Rail Authority’s board of directors will vote Oct. 19 on whether to approve a $30 million contract with DB Engineering & Consulting USA. It’s the U.S. arm of rail giant Deutsche Bahn AG, which is owned by the German government.
Chinese, Italian and Spanish companies also competed to lend California expertise in building the United States’ first high-speed train. California’s quest to connect Los Angeles to San Francisco in under three hours, a priority for Gov. Jerry Brown, has been plagued by repeated cost increases, delays and staff turnover. The agency has been searching for a new chief executive for months.
The $64 billion project is now slated for completion by 2029. Construction is underway on a 32-mile segment between Madera and Fresno counties.
The agency hopes bringing on a company with experience in the high-speed train industry will ensure the design phase and early operations of the train go smoothly.
Deutsche Bahn operates more than 620,000 miles (1 million kilometers) of train tracks and transports 6.5 million rail passengers per day, according to its website. DB Engineering & Consulting has worked on rail projects across the globe, including in Europe, China and Australia, according to its website.
If approved, DB Engineering will help design stations, thinking about needs such as parking and food. It will set up a ridership model and evaluate the best means of collecting revenue, from hiring ticket-collectors to allowing for mobile ticketing. It will also help the authority market and brand the rail project, according to the contract.
The contract cost is $30 million over six years. Some rail board members questioned at a June meeting whether that price was realistic for the scope of the project.
After the initial design phase, DB Engineering would help with track and train testing, and run the train in its early stages from the Central Valley to Silicon Valley. The state would then competitively bid again for a long-term operator, according to the contract.

aquaticko, mrsmartman, Towersla liked this post
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #6895
prageethSL

Avelia Liberty paint scheme for Acela reveled.

Quote:
The 28 new trainsets are set to replace current Acela Express equipment in 2021. They’ll feature about one-third more passenger seating, enhanced food service, and improved Wi-Fi access, as well as personal outlets, USB ports and adjustable reading lights at every seat.
The trains are part of a $2.45 billion investment on Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor, which was first announced in August 2016.
In other Amtrak news, it looks as if 30th Street Station will finally undergo a name change mandated by Congress in 2014. Amtrak officials confirmed on Friday that they’ll alter the name of the station to honor the late Congressman William H. Gray III, a minister in Philly who was the highest-ranking African American member of the House at the time of his resignation in 1991.

mrsmartman, zaphod liked this post

Last edited by prageethSL; October 10th, 2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old October 9th, 2017, 06:21 AM   #6896
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I love the look of the Alstom Pendolino, especially China's CRH5. Good to see this come to the U.S.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #6897
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

The Alstom ancestry is clearly visible in the design. Also a weird quirk they have adopted from for instance the TGV duplex is that the body shape of the power car and the first passenger car differ so much, that they visibly misalign. I hope they will fix that.

prageethSL, zaphod, Swede liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #6898
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

I honestly thought the Avelia was going to be an EMU, though it being an Alstom product, I'm not sure why I thought that.

Don't EMU's typically offer better acceleration, ceterus paribus? I'd think that'd benefit our curvy NEC better than a high-top-speed locomotive.

P.S. We still don't know who's supplying rolling stock for the California HSR project, do we?

Last edited by aquaticko; October 9th, 2017 at 04:39 PM.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #6899
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

There are probably 2 reasons for that: the Pendolino running gear you would need for a 350 km/h EMU isn't suited for 300+ km/h speeds (yet) and creating a lightweight tilting driving trailer that meets the FRA standard is challenging.

An EMU isn't necessarily quicker: a 399t TGV duplex will out accelerate a 435t ICE 3M. Only when the tracks get extremely slippery the ICE could benefit from having more driven axles, but when it's to slippery to accelerate, you can't brake either, so I would not want to go fast then.

aquaticko, prageethSL, mrsmartman, Swede liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #6900
SSMEX

Likes (Received): 87

Am I the only one who dislikes the livery? It seems incredibly dated already. The large number of contrasting color features based around panel geometry is reminiscent of when airplanes had black nosecones and black anti-glare mascara under the cockpit window.

Plus, the multi-colored carriages (which scream vintage trains) and non-sensical curves in the powered car just seem so unthoughtful.

I realize the Pendolinos aren't the sleekest trains around, but compare with this SBB train:

Keep in mind that these trains were originally ordered in 2004.

mrsmartman liked this post
SSMEX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states