daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 31st, 2006, 04:27 AM   #121
palindrome

Likes (Received): 2

yeah i think there is a proposal for a Los Angelos- las vegas one as well.
palindrome no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:08 AM   #122
Gjm130

Likes (Received): 0

They should go ahead and do it. It's a really great system. I calculated the time it should take between New York and Montreal, and it's gonna take about 2 hours to get to the destination. That's great compared to the 5 hour car drive!!
Gjm130 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:03 PM   #123
degnaw

of course, theres many other high-capacity corridors that need hsr more urgently. between montreal and nyc theres only one real urban area, albany-schenectady-troy area and just north of it is adirondack park. before that occurs though I feel acela should be upgraded to HSR... at acela's speed nyc to montreal would probably take 3-4 hours
degnaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:36 AM   #124
Gjm130

Quote:
Originally Posted by degnaw
of course, theres many other high-capacity corridors that need hsr more urgently. between montreal and nyc theres only one real urban area, albany-schenectady-troy area and just north of it is adirondack park. before that occurs though I feel acela should be upgraded to HSR... at acela's speed nyc to montreal would probably take 3-4 hours
ANd what about HSR, how long would it take??
Gjm130 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM   #125
degnaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm130
ANd what about HSR, how long would it take??
With normal hsr, your answer would probably be about right. But as evidenced by Acela and hsr proposals around the US, "american hsr" would run at only about 110 to 120 mph max (opposed to 40-50 for normal rail, over 180 for TGV, ICE, etc)

I am not saying that it shouldn't be built, I am saying that it probably would not be built (and wont go 180+ mph)

Last edited by degnaw; August 2nd, 2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:12 PM   #126
Smelser

Likes (Received): 4

Indeed, what is HSR in terms of kmh or mph?

Canada has been talking, and talking, about some kind of high or higher speed rail from Windsor to Quebec City since about 1970. So far, nothing.
Smelser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:54 AM   #127
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11120

Anyway, being NY and Montreal "just" about 800 km far an HST running at 300 km/h (as averegely European HS standards are) could be surely competitive with plane

Only to know if there are passengers enough movin' on NY-Montreal run to justify the investment
A little doubt about border check: with today standards it lasts something near to a hour at customs to check a bus (with a train having about 1000 people on board maybe even many more). This could make HST to lose its "appeal"

In any case better a train, even slow, than a bus: I travelled by Greyhound between Montreal and new York last year; one of my most unconfortable trip ever....
Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM   #128
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18144

Amtrak Cuts Acela Speeds Due to Hot Weather

Amtrak cuts Acela speeds because of hot weather
3 August 2006

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The heat wave is having its effect on Amtrak.

Because of the high heat conditions, Amtrak temporarily has cut speeds on its Acela trains from 135 miles per hour down to 80 miles per hour.

The reason is safety.

Amtrak says the combination of high temperatures and high train speed could potentially damage the track.

Amtrak says speed reductions can prevent damage, allow for better monitoring of changes in rail conditions, and prevent potential accidents.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #129
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

They just need to get a "real" high speed rail up there. I would invite the Germans or Japanese to design one for us.

I love the United States but when it comes to our rail transport network it really ******* sucks.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #130
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3654

80mph?

This is the slowest high speed train on Earth!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #131
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

what a joke...
And now we should believe that you landed on the moon????
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #132
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777
what a joke...
And now we should believe that you landed on the moon????
hehehe, that was a good one

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #133
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN

And they intend to land in Mars...
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #134
ChicagoFan

USA!!!USA!!!USA!!!USA!!!USA!!!
ChicagoFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #135
degnaw

yeah, even 135mph is pretty slow for a high speed train, not to mention 80, and theres a bunch of proposals listed in other threads...

"the High-speed rail service will run as fast as 110 mph"!!!!!!!! WOAHAH THAT IS FAST (not)
of course, when comparing it to normal rail it is pretty fast, but is far from real hsr. The us really needs alternatives to driving and flying!
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #136
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
They just need to get a "real" high speed rail up there. I would invite the Germans or Japanese to design one for us.

I love the United States but when it comes to our rail transport network it really ******* sucks.
Who would fund such a project? What cities would it serve? If the first line was built, and turned out not to be so popular, would the owners have the foresight to push ahead with expansion, or abandon it as a white elephant? Would the project allow cheaper fares than the average price of an airline ticket, as to make up for the slower trip?

To me, this would require money only a government can provide, coupled with the vision and careful planning of a private developer. Anything less I think would end up as a failure.
Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #137
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

It's not the train technology itself. Remember that in the US we have almost NO passenger rail infrastructure. This is running on tracks more appropriate for freight traffic. It shares traffic with commuter lines. And there is no funding nor support for funding to make the tracks any better.

Also, the safety regulations in the US are - different. The trains you have in Europe and Asia simply would not be legal over here. You could debate that whole point for a long time, but regardless of that our "high-speed train" is a heck of a lot heavier than any other.

If we found a way to change those regulations, maybe we could have, even successful high speed rail service. But right now freight dominates teh US rail industry and the government does not support passenger rail.
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #138
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

USA sucks for trains...
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #139
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitxofo
USA sucks for trains...
yep...
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #140
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI
being NY and Montreal "just" about 800 km
The distance city centre to city center is three quarters' that, 590Km, and I think I'd pass Philadelphia were I to continue travelling that much that way, no? Anyhow, about one third of the journey involves negotiating a mountain range, where I've seen the weather be particulary bad a few times wintertime. I can't imagine their throwing in much money to make the trajectory straight to accommodate high speed. They can't even electrify all our commuter rail lines throughout the city here!

The proposal's nothing new. His Worship Jean Drapeau was pitching such a link a quarter century ago, his reason being to bring flyers to the new (not even ten years old back in the day), massive, second airport (and now closed!) serving the city here -- I seem to remember the proposal being referred to as Mirabel-New York. I can't see the high speed working, this town's far too seasonal for most people. High speed rail would probably stop at Albany, or maybe the next major ski town north of that state capital at most.

And don't believe North Americans' reporting of statistics, the data are endlessly rotten from being twisted into making folks believe crap. By road-traffic volumes, I'd reckon Ontario's this jurisdiction's largest trading partner.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by elkram; August 5th, 2006 at 03:23 AM.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states