daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #1641
Koen Acacia

Likes (Received): 1917

I wonder what's going to happen with the prices if you cut out 3/4 of the competition.

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1642
Panya

Likes (Received): 0

I realise that for those who allow the law to pass that it is a business thing, but it is just outrageous that they can use it as an excuse. Imagine the outcry if countries in the Middle East decided stick together as Arabians to enact similar laws for the deaths Americans and their Allies have caused in Iraq and Afghanistan. It just starts a dangerous precedent and could give China even more of a competitive advantage in the future!
Panya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #1643
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koen Acacia View Post
I wonder what's going to happen with the prices if you cut out 3/4 of the competition.
The travelling public will wind up getting less for more
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #1644
Koen Acacia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panya View Post
I realise that for those who allow the law to pass that it is a business thing, but it is just outrageous that they can use it as an excuse. Imagine the outcry if countries in the Middle East decided stick together as Arabians to enact similar laws for the deaths Americans and their Allies have caused in Iraq and Afghanistan. It just starts a dangerous precedent and could give China even more of a competitive advantage in the future!
It's not only about competitive advantage - Siemens is not going to collapse if they don't get this project. It's perhaps even more about wasting taxpayer money. If you're going to artificially limit a competition from eight companies to two, then you're going to end up with much less TGV for much more money.
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #1645
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

I've been trying to read up a little one this bill, here's what I found:

Quote:
The bill would require any company that had "direct involvement in the
deportation of any individuals to extermination camps, work camps, concentration
camps, prisoner of war camps ... during World War II" to disclose its actions as
part of its bid application. That documentation could be used as a reason by the
state not to accept that particular bid.
That doesn't seem near as bad as banning any company that had a role in the holocaust to me.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #1646
Panya

The bill isn't going that far at the moment. But I can imagine that the next one will do or at least in that direction It is salami tactics; one small step at a time. Each individual step seems largely harmless but together they are damaging ! The next step will be including this legislation for any major infrastructure project that will involve foreign bidders.
Panya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #1647
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

I personally have to say that this is one stupid legislation, the US wants to construct a HSR network but at the same time eliminating the access to HSR technology.
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #1648
common-sense
BANNED

I can see you are an American.
common-sense no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #1649
Koen Acacia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozumi 300 View Post
I personally have to say that this is one stupid legislation, the US wants to construct a HSR network but at the same time eliminating the access to HSR technology.
Yes, my feelings exactly. The way this thing is gaining momentum, those companies from Germany and Japan are pretty soon going to compete for lines in Trinidad, Brazil, and - well.. you name it. The planet is going HSR and there really aren't that much companies that can provide it. Of course a contract in the US would be nice for them, but how large is that market really going to be?
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #1650
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Maybe if they invested in the Northeast they would meet less resistance. I don't why they haven't there are a ton of projects.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:44 AM   #1651
xerxesjc28

Likes (Received): 1210

Because it is the Northeast. The Northeast is broken up into sooo many states, that it makes it very hard to get cooperation between all these states to build HSR. Don't forget if HSR wants to get built in the NE it would mean getting approval from all the legislatures/governors of those states.
xerxesjc28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #1652
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxesjc28 View Post
Because it is the Northeast. The Northeast is broken up into sooo many states, that it makes it very hard to get cooperation between all these states to build HSR. Don't forget if HSR wants to get built in the NE it would mean getting approval from all the legislatures/governors of those states.
We just formed a 12 state Plan , everyone Agreeded to do there part. Its going along smoothly so far. I think its the fact foreign companies are lazy and won't put in the extra effort in getting a few states on board. Most Projects are 2 State Intercity lines here.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #1653
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMiler View Post
http://www.economist.com/node/165416...41661&fsrc=rss

Looks like this bill's actually gonna be signed into a law.

While aimed at SCNF, Japanese executives are said to be most worried.

Under this bill, bidders from following countries would be put to disadvantage.

Germany
France
Italy
Japan
Spain

Bidders from following countries are unaffected.

Korea
China

So have your pick, KTX2 or CRH380A, assuming CRH380A could actually make it past the US intellectual property rights scrutiny and pass UIC crash worthiness regulation(KTX2 already meets UIC crashworthiness requirement).

I don't understand why California is pushing this bill that's essentially eliminating competition.
I think Bombardier stands to gain most from the list being cut down.
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #1654
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

I think, if this is true, it works for GE-China partnership. However, I highly doubt it.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #1655
HyperMiler
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
I think, if this is true, it works for GE-China partnership. However, I highly doubt it.
GE is not on a good term with Chinese government at the moment, because GE's CEO blasted Chinese government for "unfair business practices" a week ago.

But the real problem is that CRH380A(CSR's version) is even less ready for the US market than Shinkansen E6(According to words from Japan it would be E6 that would be proposed for the California project) because of sizing(CRH380A follows full-Shinkansen dimension so it exceeds US railway limit) and crashworthiness issues that's haunting Shinkansen, assuming Japanese did not sue the Chinese.

TGV and KTX2 may actually hold an advantage over other EMU type high speed train models in California because of the greater crashworthiness safety afforded by having traction power cars at each end in mixed-traffic environment of California highspeed rail system, where the high speed trains are expected to share certain segments of track with heavy Caltain, Metrolink, and Amtrak trains.
HyperMiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1656
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

If Bombardier is also a contender then I wouldn't be suprised if they choose to market the Zefiro 380 that's being built for CRH.
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #1657
HyperMiler
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozumi 300 View Post
If Bombardier is also a contender then I wouldn't be suprised if they choose to market the Zefiro 380 that's being built for CRH.
Zefiro 380 is exclusively wide-body(Shinkansen) and shares same problem as CRH380A.

The version offered for California would be narrow-body(UIC) Zefiro 300, which doesn't look that competitive compared to rivals that are currently in service.
HyperMiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1658
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
While aimed at SCNF, Japanese executives are said to be most worried.
Where did you hear this? I have seen no such reports in the Japanese press.

Quote:
CRH380A follows full-Shinkansen dimension so it exceeds US railway limit
There are no such "limits"- FRA has not even drawn up guidelines for HSR lines running at speeds greater than 150mph.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #1659
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

GE will get the contract.

It's funny because the wife of the guy pushed the bill probably drives a BMW or Mercedes-Benz.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #1660
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
There are no such "limits"- FRA has not even drawn up guidelines for HSR lines running at speeds greater than 150mph.
I think that they are refering to railway gauge when discussing dimensional limits. Due to its non standard gauge, I really doubt we'll see Shinkansan on US soil.

The legislation is rediculous and is aimed at slowing progress and increasing costs, just what the NIMBYs want.
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states