daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 4th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #1921
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Oh shut up you ,Highways and Airports are subsided and you don't have a problem with that.
You don't actually understand my view, in which the TRACKS, STATIONS and OTHER INFRASTRUCTURE are maintained as public property, directly (out of the budget) or indirectly (though path and trackage fees), in a free-access operation open for any private contractor.

Road, water and air transportation work like that, rail should also. I just will rant and oppose whenever someone suggests a State-funded VEHICLE OPERATING COMPANY, be it a bus, a train, an airplane or a vessel.

So if my views were applied, you would see some rail getting constructed, and then private companies would lease or buy trains and run over the government-built tracks to/from government-built stations - exactly like air transport. Is that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I actually agree and also would like to see the rails in North America treated just like the roads, airports and so forth - with separate ownership of the track infrastructure and operations - where anyone can operate anywhere as long as their crews are properly qualified, their equipment meets minimum technical standards and they are willing and able to pay the necessary fees and tolls.

If that could be done here, once the transition is complete and everything settles in, I fully expect a new 'Golden Age' of railroading to emerge and the track infrastructure authorities/owners will have to start expanding capacity, laying new track along existing lines, opening new and reopening abandoned routes and so forth and FAST.

The big problem is getting from where we are now to that ideal (addressing the existing railroad companies' property rights issues, etc).
The government could purchase the rail companies, sell the rolling stock to private parties and open their tracks, but that would cost dozens of billions and I don't think any Legislature would ever approve it. So the only feasible way is for new ROW construction.

In any case, Amtrak should be dismantled right away IMO. Better saying: it should be transformed into an infrastructure company, managing the tracks, stations and everything else, while those tracks, improved by public investment, would be open to any private, non-exclusive operator who wanted to. Service would improve a lot in a short period of time, and Amtrak could be focused on keeping the tracks in an outstanding conditions, while private companies would, at their discretion and risk, run the trains, set the fares and so. I bet they would lease ICE2 and bring them within 1 year to the NEC.

Last edited by Suburbanist; October 5th, 2010 at 12:41 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #1922
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

sorry

Last edited by Suburbanist; October 4th, 2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: double posting
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #1923
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Although the future of this project is questionable, it's still more likely to get built than the Eugene-Portland-Seattle-BC line. I don't understand how could environmentalists arguing against this proposal, more modern HSRs are on laid bridges (Beijing-Shanghai HSR is 80% bridge, about 650 miles), so land usage is minimized and it doesn't cutoff the migration paths of animals. Taking people off the highway and flights means less pressure to add more lanes or runways, sounds like a no brainier to me.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #1924
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
In any case, I think airlines in US wouldn't watch, passively, HSR systems take their short-haul market, especially because it is so more important to them it was for European airlines on the onset of HSR in Spain, France and Italy.
Short haul flights are money losing operations for airlines. They make more profit on international flights. That is why Continental Airlines and American Airlines are supporting high speed rail in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I don't understand how could environmentalists arguing against this proposal, more modern HSRs are on laid bridges (Beijing-Shanghai HSR is 80% bridge, about 650 miles), so land usage is minimized and it doesn't cutoff the migration paths of animals. Taking people off the highway and flights means less pressure to add more lanes or runways, sounds like a no brainier to me.
It's because they are NIMBY's pretending to be enviromentalists.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #1925
greenlion

Likes (Received): 30

UNITED STATES | High Speed Rail

Will see CRH trains in USA soon?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...-rail-bid.html

Quote:
GE, China’s CSR to Invest $50 Million in High-Speed Rail Bid
By Rachel Layne - Dec 7, 2010 9:04 AM GMT+0800 Tweet inShare.More
Business ExchangeBuzz up!DiggPrint Email .General Electric Co. and CSR Corp., China’s largest maker of rail vehicles, plan to invest $50 million in their U.S.-based venture for supplying passenger trains for high-speed lines in California and Florida.

The initiative may “sustain or create” 250 jobs by 2012, probably at GE Transportation factories in Erie and Grove City, Pennsylvania, the company said today. The partners also will form a business to work on medium-speed trains and on urban rail-transit systems, GE said in a statement.

“We are committed to advancing the global high-speed rail technology market,” said Vice Chairman John Rice, whose appointment last month to oversee a new international business structure from Hong Kong signaled Fairfield, Connecticut-based GE’s focus on overseas markets and partnerships.

The rail venture supports Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey Immelt’s goal of investing more than $1.5 billion in joint ventures in “key high-technology” sectors with China, adding $500 million to GE’s research centers in the country and boosting U.S. manufacturing.

President Barack Obama’s administration is championing high-speed passenger rail projects, with $2.3 billion in federal funding allocated in January to the California line and $1.3 billion for the Florida project.

GE’s agreement on a so-called cooperative framework with CSR follows comments last week by Zhao Xiaogang, the Chinese company’s chairman, in Hong Kong that the companies may also compete for a project on the U.S. East Coast, and will decide which of the lines to bid on over the next three years. GE and CSR signed a memorandum of understanding on rail projects in 2009.

China’s passenger trains reach more than 220 miles (354 kilometers) an hour, while GE is the world’s biggest maker of diesel-electric locomotives. The venture aims to meet Buy America standards for U.S. content, GE said.
greenlion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #1926
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

Sweet. More bidders the better!
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #1927
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Together with GE, CSR has a big chance.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #1928
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
Together with GE, CSR has a big chance.
Yes, it may, but you have to keep things in perspective- $50 million is a rather low number (the price for a singleHSR trainset is in the vicinity of $40 million), and $50 million comes out to only 3.33% of the total $1.5 billion GE intends to invest in joint ventures with China (probably mainly in power generation and solar/clean energy). It's a start, though.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1929
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Just the thought of one day Americans will ride Chinese HSR will put most people off, so a GE JV will at least gave it a slim chance. However I still think the US government will block it on national security grounds.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1930
Palatinus

Likes (Received): 0

I don't understand why don't they use Siemens technology in USA...
Palatinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1931
Zero Gravity

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palatinus View Post
it's a lot more expensive, that's why.
Zero Gravity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #1932
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Just the thought of one day Americans will ride Chinese HSR will put most people off, so a GE JV will at least gave it a slim chance. However I still think the US government will block it on national security grounds.
I doubt that , the US govt will get an earful form the people if they every tried to pull something like that.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #1933
LHCHL

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
However I still think the US government will block it on national security grounds.
At this point I think their primary concern is not getting blocked on grounds of cost.
LHCHL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #1934
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

It's not like the PRC is gonna own the rail line. Just build it and it will be owned and ran by an American rail authority. No national security grounds.
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #1935
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

lol the US is a democracy. Therefore, HSR will never happen there. So really, they're wasting their money here.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #1936
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
lol the US is a democracy. Therefore, HSR will never happen there. So really, they're wasting their money here.
Japan, France, Germany, South Korea, Taiwan, Spain, UK, and Turkey say Hello and better luck next time.
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #1937
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palatinus View Post
Siemens is more expensive than the Chinese, as noted before. Same goes for Bombardier and Alstom, and then there's national pride: things in the USA come first and GE is from the USA.

However, Siemens has a good chance - their Velaro is doing really well, from the UK (Eurostar e320), to Spain (E), Germany (D), Russia (RUS) and even China (CN) there are Velaro's. It's a solid high quality product which has conquered the hearts of many.

Siemens has promised that if they would win the tender, they would set up or expand plants in the USA so American people can work on a product for America.

And they recently also won quite a large tender to supply a modified version of the EuroSprinter platform to Amtrak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
It's not like the PRC is gonna own the rail line. Just build it and it will be owned and ran by an American rail authority. No national security grounds.
If the SNCF wins that tender, how American is that authority going to be?
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #1938
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

delete. double post. err

Last edited by dumbfword; December 9th, 2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: double post.
dumbfword no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #1939
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post

If the SNCF wins that tender, how American is that authority going to be?
CSR doesn't manage HSR lines. Just builds rolling stock. Plus HSR will be overseen by Federal Railroad Administration. An American rail authority .

Better luck next time.
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #1940
Mika Montwald
Improving Earth

Likes (Received): 3

Hoping China CSR Wisely Cancel the GE - JV Deal

The World is Big --- There are so many Countries that need China CSR attention.
These other countries will pay with REAL money not the worthless USD Bald Eagle Toilet Paper.

-------------------------------------------------------------

1) I wonder when will some of these idiotic China government officials who are involved in
setting this JV with GE and as well those idiotic China executives from CSR learn the lesson from Huawei and ZTE.

Did GE bribe some China government officials?

2) Huawei and ZTE had been kicked out with such a humiliating force by US,
and yet so many China companies do not seem to learn the painful repeated lessons.

Quote:
... ...

The rejection by Sprint is the latest defeat for Chinese companies seeking to break into the big leagues of U.S. phone companies. Huawei and ZTE lost out even though they submitted bids that were lower than those of their three competitors, Alcatel-Lucent SA, Telefon L.M. Ericsson of Sweden and South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co.

Huawei had worked hard to win the Sprint contract, and sought out a U.S. partner to allay security concerns. It teamed up on its bid with a consulting company founded by a former vice chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, William Owens. Amerilink Telecom Corp. was set up in Sprint's hometown of Overland Park, Kan., and hired former Sprint executives. It also appointed former congressional and defense officials to its board.

... ...
Link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

-----------------------------------------------------

NOTE:

Let's be frank. Please do not pretend.
Americans wants transparency. So here it is below.

-----------------------------------------------------

3) Giving the HST track Slab construction tech to US is a national treason.

The US -- Tea Bagger President (who is extremely likely win the 2012 election,
judging by the length of people line-up in WalMart parking lot -- waiting to see Sarah Palin up close)
will authorize an order to attack China militarily all out to save American -- Exceptionalism status.

85% American general public are only too eager and too happy to see China gets punished,
gets destroy and gets annihilated
from this planetEarth.

4) USA will use China's HST track Slab construction tech to reinforce and harden all their important military bunkers.
Giving one's enemy to protect themselves better is such an unwise move.

5) Without that special China's HST track Slab construction tech, the new US HST will not be able to run that fast. Which is a good thing.

6) Even if US allows China to build the HST track, US will still always bully China at every corner.

7) Thus, I hope CSR will waste the money and quickly learn the lesson of how much --
85% of American General Public passionately hates China gut Big Time.

Are you studying the Basic Traditional Proper CIVILIZED BEHAVIORS <弟子规> ??

Last edited by Mika Montwald; December 9th, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Mika Montwald no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states