daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #81
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Oh no? It is not poverty? No wait, I see where you are heading.
Or maybe you're right, considering a definition I have heard lately: "Poverty is not the lack of money, but the lack of the ability to get things done..."
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:51 AM   #82
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Surprisingly wasn´t it you telling me Norsborg is not that problematic? It´s really obvious that "ghettos" are more common in Stockholm than in my hometown Berlin, which hit me by surprise anyway.

In any case it´s like building a street in poor Region. Only a street or a Train-Connection will not improve the whole social Situation. But it is one necessary step. Building nothing will leave those parts of the city behind definetely.
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #83
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

The bigger concern I have is that you guy are letting fear and negative feelings get in the way of rational infrastructure planning.

Basically you've caught the sickness the US has...

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Swede liked this post
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #84
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Funny thing is, I never used to believe this until I moved to Sweden and I used to believe far more in inclusivity... Unfortunately life here has changed me a lot, and I cannot say it was for the better either.

http://usj.sagepub.com/content/early....full.pdf+html

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...67070X12001576

There are articles supporting my view that train travel is particularly adversely affected by perception of crime. Train travel is far more heavily influenced than bus travel simply due to perception, hence why I included the article over the page about the Stockholm blue line.

Now we can all talk about all the warm fuzzies we want regarding connecting more crime-ridden areas to the the rest of the city, but the reality is that the perception of the general public is what matters, and research shows that perception of crime on rail systems is one of the biggest detractors.

Now there are a few ways in which this can be addressed:

1. Visible policing. This requires a change in the current mindset. Visible security in Sweden is quite rare. Though you might get security (ordningsvakt) in the large stations in Stockholm, the stations that most need them (Tensta, Rinkeby, Norsborg etc) actually don't have them.

2. Additional security measures including comprehensive CCTV.

3. A proper criminal punishment system and a legal system that properly supports victims.

Sweden does have number 3 I believe, but 1 and 2 are, in my opinion, the areas where there needs to be the biggest improvement for this to work.

It's all well and good to simply disregard me as a raving lunatic and say that I've caught the "US disease" but it's much harder to actually take a proper critical look at the evidence there. No one who has contradicted me has actually bothered to see that I provided links showing high crime areas of Stockholm followed by articles about the impact of perception of safety on the blue line. Now I've provided two research links above, one of which addresses the concern that trains are particularly vulnerable to negative perceptions of safety compared to other modes due to the "trapped" feeling that one gets when riding them. There is no point in actually discussing this if people are just going to use emotive arguments to discredit me or attack my character.

I am very happy to be proven wrong and/or discuss this, but I do like to see some evidence to the contrary so we can have a proper discussion.

Last edited by Svartmetall; September 13th, 2016 at 11:49 AM.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #85
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 175

To get back to Malmö and on-topic:

This is how it looked last time there was a tram, at the sunset years of the tram (1967-1973)
http://www.pege.nu/malmo4.htm

Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #86
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26160

From Rail Journal

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=526

Lund light rail construction to start next month
Tuesday, January 24, 2017

THE Swedish city of Lund will launch construction of its first modern light rail line on February 15, when a groundbreaking ceremony will be held outside the University of Lund Faculty of Engineering

The 5.5km nine-station double-track line will connect Lund Central station with Science Village, serving employment centres and research institutions in the northeast of city

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #87
dimlys1994

Lund tram map was added to urbanrail.net:
http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/se/lund/lund.htm

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old July 5th, 2017, 01:30 PM   #88
dimlys1994

From Metro Report

http://www.metro-report.com/news/new...or-malmoe.html

Electric buses ordered for Malmö
05 Jul 2017

SWEDEN: Bus operator Nobina has ordered 13 Volvo 7900 Electric buses, the manufacturer announced on June 28.

Due to enter service on the 14·7 km Route 7 in Malmö from the end of 2018, the 12 m long buses will be powered by lithium ion batteries. These will be charged in 3 to 6 min at the termini using a pantograph

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages