daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #1
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

AUSTRALIA | High Speed Rail

This is a thread for discussion of high speed rail proposals in Australia. These include the Brisbane - Sydney - Canberra - Melbourne proposal, the Bunbury - Perth proposal and any other proposals that may pop up.

This is NOT a place to discuss Victoria's Regional Fast Rail, as it is not a true HSR system.

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #2
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

What are the odds of it happening? Most Aussie cities can't even get a subway/metro built.
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #3
transman

Likes (Received): 3

there has been various studies and proposals for a east coast high speed rail link by the public and private sectors.while it is very embarrasing that countries less richer and/or populated than australia are going ahead with biulding their high speed rail and the fact that we still have the tin can XPT it is about time we get serious with high speed rail the federal labour government anounced during the election campaign they will be doing a feasibility study within the next few years.my opinion is the best high speed rail to go with would be a japanese shinkensen like the E5 or E6 or even the chinese CRH380 that recently broke the record of 486K/PH
transman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #4
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

I don't believe the E5 or E6 are being offered for export.
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #5
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
I don't believe the E5 or E6 are being offered for export.
Actually, JR East had mentioned earlier in the year (sorry I don't have the source), that the E6 trainset has potential to be offered as an export product. I think mainly because its loading gauge is closer to European dimensional standards.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #6
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

I think at this point, Newcastle-Sydney seems to be the most plausible one to be built in the coming decades. So that might be a good start, no?

So many questions there, though...
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #7
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

We were here before 10 years ago. That was a private consortium but even they were thwarted by scaremongering and the govt getting cold feet.

http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/speedrail/
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #8
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

Actually, the Melbourne - Sydney HSR was announced back in 1980. It was supposed to be completed for the bicentenary in 1988.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:39 AM   #9
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6458

High speed rail study underway

Quote:
The Federal government has confirmed work has started on a feasibility study into a high speed rail line for Australia's east coast, that would include a link to Newcastle.

The terms of reference for the study include that a Newcastle to Sydney line should form a core element of the rail network.

The study is being carried out by global consultancy AECOM Australia and is expected to be completed in 12 months.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...site=newcastle
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Quote:
Originally Posted by transman View Post
.while it is very embarrasing that countries less richer and/or populated than australia are going ahead with biulding their high speed rail and the fact that we still have the tin can XPT it is about time we get serious with high speed rail the federal labour government anounced during the election campaign they will be doing a feasibility study within the next few years
Less populated than Australia? Australis is one of the LEAST populated countries in the World... I can't come with any country less populated (in terms of pop. density, of course) that has high-speed rail network.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM   #11
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Less populated than Australia? Australis is one of the LEAST populated countries in the World... I can't come with any country less populated (in terms of pop. density, of course) that has high-speed rail network.
Neither can I. After counting the deserts of outback, the average population density of Australia is lower than Norway, Sweden or Finland including their mountains and northern forests. But the total population of Australia is bigger than the three Nordics combined, and much of it is concentrated at an extensive area of a bit higher average density.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:52 PM   #12
clyde the puffy cat

Likes (Received): 0

@ Suburbanist
Mmmm yeah, Australia has one of the lowest population density's,(about 3 people per sq km) but figures can sometimes mislead. Of the aprox 23 million current Aussie population, on a proposed route for HSR, which could be Melbourne-Canberra-Sydney-Newcastle-Brisbane, a total distance of about 1900km, about 12-13 million people currently reside in just these large cities, with some projections this could grow to about 20 million in 30 years. I think there'd be more than enough potential demand to use a HSR system.
I know I'd use it!(Hate flying)
It's all moot, anyway. I can't see it ever happening. As Sydney city said earlier,there's been proposals for 30 years and nothings come of it, and I can't see any politicians with the vision to develop HSR or the balls to fight the vested interests against it. (airlines, car industry)
Australia: good at digging shit out of holes and selling it offshore, bad at thinking long term and making shit happen
clyde the puffy cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:06 PM   #13
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Well, I gues NewCastle Sydney Canbererra Melbourne route would have enough [assngers. It is not about denisty, those 2 big cities are close enough and have many inhabitants.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #14
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Brisbane to Melbourne high speed study published

source

Quote:
AUSTRALIA: The first of two studies into proposals for a high speed line running more than 1 600 km from Brisbane to Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne

The study considered a double-track electrified line suitable for 200 km/h in urban areas and 350 km/h elsewhere.

Journey times from Sydney would be around 3 h to Melbourne or Brisbane, 1 h to Canberra and 40 min to Newcastle. Stations in the central business districts are seen as the major traffic generators, and so Sydney and Melbourne airports have not been shortlisted for stations.

A more detailed analysis including financial viability will be carried out in Phase II, which is currently out to tender with a view to completion around mid-2012. Outline costs are put in the range A$61bn to A$108bn, and the Phase I report says 'international experience suggests it is unrealistic to expect the capital cost of a HSR network to be recovered'.
hope it gets built, 15m+ ppl
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #15
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
source

hope it gets built, 15m+ ppl
Yeah, narrow strips of urbanized coast lines are perfect for HSR. It works great in Japan, and would work great on the North-East coast and California coast of the US, and the East coast of Australia.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #16
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Would be interesting to see whether this will amount to anything. There are huge costs involved for such a long line. The comparison to Japan is a bit of an odd one given that they very much have the "take a train" mentality compared to Australians who love their private transport.

The population difference between the NEC in the US and the East Coast in Australia is quite large - same with many Shinkansen corridors.

Still, it will be interesting to hear the findings of the reports as to the viability of the line. Australia has proposed again and again to put high speed rail infrastructure in place and it has always amounted to nothing.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #17
transman

Likes (Received): 3

having a shinkensen or chinese high speed train owuld be much better to go with than a european sytem. i have seen that the japanese kawasaki version of the E5 shinkensen could be the high speed train for australia
transman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #18
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I really can't see this ever happening, unless there's some revolution in Canberra (which I doubt there will be considering the diabolical state of Australian politics).

It'd be great, but huge barriers stand in the way (and I'm not just talking about mountains and valleys separating Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney).
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #19
Never give up

Likes (Received): 7493

This is where it´s going to happen eventually. (for the benifit of us non-Australians who follow threads on your fantastic country and cities)
Canberra seems to be on a bit of a dead-end branch line. It seems as though it´s going to be difficult to make a through connection here.

[IMG]http://i54.************/2cwputs.jpg[/IMG]
Never give up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #20
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

im surprised the northern endpoint isnt the sunshine coast, its a 1/4 million people
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, high speed rail