daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #221
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

Some photos of the Inner West/Dulwich Hill light rail extension. (Taken by TramFan 24/7 and my happy snapper on Flickr)

Klausenburg, Arnorian liked this post

Last edited by mw123; April 8th, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #222
kontaveit2012

Likes (Received): 16

Nice pictures It looks really nice and the government has done a good job with the conversion

BTW, sorry to sound ignorant, but why did the extension take so long when the track and route was already there? I mean didn't they need to simply put trams on it? The gauge is the same isn't it so why did they need to lay new track?
kontaveit2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #223
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1138

At last, trams have started running again towards Dulwich Hill from Central Station, almost 50 years later, although on a very different route, using a former goods train line.

If all should be right, tram will again run towards Circular Quay and Randwick soon after 50 years, this time alsmost on same route.

As soon as they will open the next routes, I think Sydney will say "VERY SORRY" to the rest of the world for their barbaric demoletion of once great network. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #224
mw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontaveit2012 View Post
Nice pictures It looks really nice and the government has done a good job with the conversion

BTW, sorry to sound ignorant, but why did the extension take so long when the track and route was already there? I mean didn't they need to simply put trams on it? The gauge is the same isn't it so why did they need to lay new track?
The current government blames the previous government for stalling the project. Don't forget this is NSW, everything takes too much time I'm afraid! I have no idea why they replaced the old tracks however I've seen a few members speculate on the Ozscrapers thread that they didn't need to replace the tracks, probably best to ask the question there.
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #225
mw123

Some images from the Sydney Trains network.

Klausenburg liked this post
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #226
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I quite like how CityRail has been 'rebranded' as Transport for Sydney, with the new uniform logos across the network. I like the new 'T' symbols for the trains, reminds me of the T-Bana in Stockholm.
Old April 9th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #227
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I quite like how CityRail has been 'rebranded' as Transport for Sydney, with the new uniform logos across the network. I like the new 'T' symbols for the trains, reminds me of the T-Bana in Stockholm.
Bit different rolling stock, though (I prefer ours, sorry).

Also a bit reminiscent of the T in Boston or Oslo too. Stockholm is not the only city that can lay a claim to the T unfortunately.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #228
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Heh, I only meant the logo, though its also similar to the symbols used by the NYC Subway.

I imagine the T-Bana is probably a lot better than Sydney's trains in many, many ways.

(Train, Bus, Ferry, Light Rail, etc. etc.)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-y83sGixn7f...ce+flowers.JPG
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #229
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Very much reminds me of the Oslo or Bostonian T more than the Stockholm actually. Our T is rather fat.

Stockholm:

Boston:

Oslo:

Also, that TBFL acronym is rather unfortunate really. One could have a lot of fun with those letters with regards to transport.

"To Be F***in Late" etc etc.

Last edited by Svartmetall; April 9th, 2014 at 03:10 PM.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #230
kontaveit2012

Likes (Received): 16

Waratah's are so ******* sexy and great on the out and inside
kontaveit2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #231
mw123

- Edit - video deleted by owner

Last edited by mw123; May 9th, 2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old April 14th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #232
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6067

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw123 View Post
New CBD and SE Light Rail video render.
Video doesn't work. But I take it's this one:

JayT, Vaud liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #233
mw123

Nope. It seems the video has been deleted from the vimeo account
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #234
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw123 View Post
The first Urbos 3 arrived a few days ago.
**** these are as ugly as shit, the 1s and 2s look far better who is their industrial designer, I want to kill him and take his job.
Old April 30th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #235
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26112

From Railway Technology:

Quote:
http://www.railway-technology.com/ne...ension-4254716

NSW government starts consultation for South West Rail Link extension
29 April 2014

The New South Wales (NSW) government has started consultation on a corridor for South West Rail Link extension to Sydney's second airport.

According to NSW transport minister Gladys Berejiklian, the proposed rail corridor will link jobs, service hubs and communities in the south-west with Sydney's existing and future public transport and roads networks.

"To begin with, when the airport's air traffic will be less than 10% of that at Sydney Airport, access to the second Sydney airport will be provided through road upgrades, park and ride facilities and public transport services including new express buses," Berejiklian said.

"Melbourne International Airport is a perfect example of a major airport with significant public transport demands that are met by a fleet of express buses. Likewise, Perth, Canberra and Hobart airports rely on buses for their public transport needs."

The South West Rail Link extension will cost $100m less than the allocated budget of $2.1bn and is expected to become operational in 2015.

This will be extended to Badgerys Creek and on to St Marys, where it would connect with Western Line services, as well as south to Narellan.

Under the stage I, consultation on the proposed corridor and station locations will run through 6 June, while consultation on specific alignment options will begin later in 2014 as part of stage II.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #236
mw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
**** these are as ugly as shit, the 1s and 2s look far better who is their industrial designer, I want to kill him and take his job.
Yeah I agree, the 2s look much better.
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #237
mw123

$100 million Wynyard Station upgrade to begin

Minister for Transport Gladys Berejiklian today announced a $100 million upgrade of Wynyard Station, including an overhaul of the concourse and ticket area to make it easier for customers to move in and around the station.

Ms Berejiklian said it was a long-held wish for most train customers in Sydney that Wynyard Station was given the attention it deserved, and finally the NSW Liberals and Nationals Government was delivering.

“Everyone knows that Wynyard Station is a relic of the past, and frankly it is time to upgrade one of Sydney’s busiest transport hubs and finally give customers what they deserve.

“Train stations should be clean, fresh and bright, and I am simply staggered that the former Labor Government sat back and watched the entire train network decay, including these major CBD interchanges, into such a state.”

The work includes an upgrade to the CBD station’s concourse and platforms, with a less cluttered concourse and wider ticket gate area making it easier for customers to enter, exit and move around the station.

There is also new lighting, new tiling, an overhaul of the retail outlets, a fresh coat of paint and new signage to help customers move around the station easier.

“We will also reduce clutter on the platforms, making it easier and safer to board and alight trains, which is one of the best ways to improve the punctuality of our services,” Ms Berejiklian said...

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/medi...-upgrade-begin
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #238
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26112

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...ity-fleet.html

New South Wales to order 'off-the-shelf' Intercity fleet
08 May 2014

The New South Wales government released an image of a Bombardier Twindexx EMU ordered by Swiss Federal Railways as an example of the type of rolling stock it has in mind for Intercity services in the state

AUSTRALIA: Plans to order around 65 trainsets totalling 520 cars for NSW TrainLink Intercity services between Sydney and the Central Coast, Newcastle, the Blue Mountains and Illawarra were announced by New South Wales Premier Mike Baird and Minister for Transport Gladys Berejiklian on May 8.

The government is to begin industry briefings this month with a view to identifying ‘a train already available to the market’. The estimated A$2·8bn cost of the order would be funded by the state government.

‘Previously, NSW has developed unique and often costly train fleets from scratch, which has taken as long as seven years from start to delivery’, said Berejiklian. ‘We are looking at buying off-the-shelf trains with proven technology and then configuring them to meet our customers’ needs, meaning we can ensure the best value, best possible service and also have these new trains on the tracks faster. We expect the first train will be in passenger service by 2019 and the new fleet will be progressively rolled out through to 2024.’

The current Oscar rolling stock fleet would be reallocated to Sydney suburban services

mw123, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #239
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

With the modular technology of most of today's RS, kudos to the govt for taking such steps.
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #240
dan72
Rai

Likes (Received): 23

Great idea alot cheaper than locally produced
dan72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney, tram