daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:08 PM   #521
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

Sydney Metro | New metro station prototypes unveiled in North West

Here’s the first look at Sydney’s new state-of-the-art metro railway stations. Two life-size station models, an underground station and above-ground concourse, have been built for official testing in the North West.

Key customer features showcased by the prototypes include:

- Sample platform screen doors at the underground station, showing how this Australian-first safety feature keeps people and objects away from the tracks, also allowing trains to get in and out of stations much faster;

- Working Opal gates and machines;

- Escalators and lifts, station and platform security cameras, video help points, toilets, signage and wayfinding;

- Final finishes like paving, 100 per cent LED lighting and the distinctive energy efficient leaf-design of the above-ground station roofs.

Sydney Metro North West

dimlys1994 liked this post
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #522
mw123

Sydney's booming North West to get hundreds of extra bus services

Bus passengers in Sydney’s Hills District will soon benefit from a major boost to services, with more than 420 additional timetabled trips starting from Saturday 27 February.

Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance said 428 additional weekly services aim to meet increased demand for customers travelling from Sydney’s west and northwest to key employment and education hubs.

Transport for NSW

Hillsbus CDi by James_Tan_, on Flickr

IMG_0443 by Jian Kuang, on Flickr

8166UY, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old February 27th, 2016, 11:31 AM   #523
mw123

Old March 2nd, 2016, 07:36 PM   #524
mw123

Sydney Trains | New Sydney Trains network control facility

Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance today announced a new rail nerve centre will be built aimed at reducing train delays and provide faster information to customers.

The Sydney Trains Rail Operations Centre is a $276 million investment to be built at Green Square, ensuring all facets of the train network are controlled from a single location, with new technology to manage train movements and customer safety.

“This new centre will ultimately improve train reliability for customers and when there are delays, information will be communicated much more quickly,” Mr Constance said.

The Sydney Trains network control facility is set to open in 2018.

Transport for NSW

Old March 3rd, 2016, 01:29 AM   #525
PeFe

Likes (Received): 171

Built at Green Square so that 90% of the employees can get the train to work?
PeFe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #526
mw123

CBD & South East Light Rail

My Sydney

Old March 6th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #527
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6104

Good design 👍
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #528
mw123

Sydney Metro | Cudgegong Road Station Design Unveiled

The final design of the new Cudgegong Road Railway Station has been revealed. The station, to be built in a cutting, includes a distinctive leaf-shaped roof and has been sustainably designed including 100 per cent LED lighting.

Like all Sydney Metro stations, platform screen door technology will be used, keeping people and objects away from the tracks and allowing trains to get in and out of stations much faster.

The station includes:
- 1,000 commuter car parking spaces
- 6 bus spaces, 15 kiss-and-ride and 9 taxi spaces
- Parking and storage for 55 bicycles, and
- Two new streets between Tallawong and Cudgegong roads.

North West Rail | Sydney Metro

dimlys1994, Kot Bazilio liked this post
Old March 9th, 2016, 09:51 PM   #529
mw123

Sydney Metro | First section of skytrain over major road completed

The first section of the Sydney Metro Northwest skytrain to be built over a major road has been successfully completed.

In a precision operation carried out over five nights, 12 segments of the skytrain were lifted over Memorial Avenue at Kellyville. Each of the segments weighs about 84 tonnes and were lifted 11m into the air by the massive horizontal crane sitting above Memorial Avenue.

The segments were then attached and tensioned to form the deck of the skytrain, an elevated railway which will run 4km from Bella Vista to Rouse Hill.

Sydney Metro Northwest

Vaud, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old March 10th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #530
mw123

Sydney Metro | Future Options – Bankstown to Liverpool

Old March 13th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #531
mw123

Sydney Light Rail - 2114 by Capital SS, on Flickr

Light Rail | IMG_4610 by Xunliang Lin, on Flickr

CAF Light Rail Vehicle 2110 by my happy snapper, on Flickr

Sydney Light Rail - 2112 by Capital SS, on Flickr

CAF Light Rail Vehicle 2110 by my happy snapper, on Flickr

CAF Light Rail Vehicle 2109 by my happy snapper, on Flickr

Sydney Tram #2117 by damos photos, on Flickr

Through the sandstone cutting by Mark Evans, on Flickr

dimlys1994, subbotazh liked this post
Old March 18th, 2016, 09:40 AM   #532
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

Sydney, CBD & South East Light Rail group on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/

dimlys1994, mw123 liked this post
subbotazh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #533
mw123

Sydney Metro Construction

Sydney Metro North West Skytrain update. 7.2.2016. by Tim, on Flickr

Sydney Metro North West Skytrain update. 13.3.2016. by Tim, on Flickr

Old March 19th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #534
mw123

Sydney Metro | Interior

Old March 19th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #535
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8832

Wow, they're really going full-on metro with this line. It looks good, but I can't help but feel it's a little misplaced given the kind of population density out there and all those longitudinal seats...
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #536
nameless dude

Likes (Received): 838

I believe it was always intended for the line to be 'future proof'. There's a lot of TOD being planned around the stations on the line (including here and here if you're interested, the first few apartments planned as part of those precincts are currently just beginning construction), so while the area is suburban now it'll change over the next 10-20 years. Also the trains will supposedly run faster than the typical metro (100-130km/h the last time I heard a few years ago), and the stations are further apart as well, even when the line eventually gets extended to the CBD, so I like to think of it as something more comparable to Hong Kong's Tung Chung and West Rail lines or San Francisco's BART.

Last edited by nameless dude; March 19th, 2016 at 01:58 PM.
nameless dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #537
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I think a lot of the patronage is going to come from feeder buses Svart. They're planning on running trains every 4 minutes, and the area surrounding the existing Chatswood to Epping line has a lot of density and is a very job rich area. Plus a private company is going to take control of an already existing line going through the south-west of the city eventually, so you'd want to hope the company is going to provide a decent service considering that they're taking it out of public hands.

That area in the north-west apparently has terrible public transport and it takes residents hours to get into the city with the existing bus network. Not sure how accurate that is; one of the Sydney based forumers will have to fill us in.

This map is absolutely hideous too. It desperately needs to be re-done even though it's only a year or so old.

Quote:

Svartmetall liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #538
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless dude View Post
I believe it was always intended for the line to be 'future proof'. There's a lot of TOD being planned around the stations on the line (including here and here if you're interested, the first apartments in a few of those precincts are currently just beginning construction), so while the area is sburuban now it'll change over the next 10-20 years. Also the trains will supposedly run faster than the typical 80km/h metro (100-130km/h the last time I heard a few years ago), and the stations are further apart as well, so generally I like to think of it as something more comparable to Hong Kong's Tung Chung and West Rail lines or San Francisco's BART.
Yeah, I remember there being a lot of work planned for the area, but it's just the length of the line and distance from the CBD that made me wonder about the choice of this kind of service. This line at 36km long from Cudgegong Rd to Chatswood (forgetting the the interchange to get to the city from Chatswood that adds on another 9.5km to Wynyard. That puts it at a length of a much larger city such as Tokyo where the longest line is only 30.8km long (Tozai line). Even the Chuo rapid is 43km to Shinjuku, and that's a very, very long line. Both of these lines see massive, massive transit utilisation to justify the longitudinal seating on lines that stretch into the suburbs. At 4min peak frequency on this line do you think this kind of rolling stock is justified even with the use of feeder buses to take people onto the trains?

I mean, the Stockholm tunnelbana gets a much higher utilisation than Cityrail at 328 million / year on a network only 100km long, yet there isn't longitudinal seating here. Munich U-bahn, again, much more used than Cityrail/Sydney Trains at 390 million on 103km of network, yet they are not totally longitudinal seating. Vienna U-bahn 439 million passengers on 78.5km of network yet they don't have total longitudinal seating on their metro stock... The level of utilisation on a tiny network, hinting at high passenger density, seems to suggest that total longitudinal seating isn't required.

Last edited by Svartmetall; March 19th, 2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old March 19th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #539
mw123

If you're coming from an outer suburb, you're likely to get a seat even though longitudinal may not be ideal.

Also don't forget this line is going to continue through the CBD and serve North Sydney, Barangaroo, Wynyard, Pitt Street, Central and most importantly Waterloo (this station alone is planned to house 30,000 people).

It will then take over the Bankstown line which is ripe for metro conversion and TOD. I'm guessing the majority of this line's patronage will come from these inner city trips.
Old March 19th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #540
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw123 View Post
If you're coming from an outer suburb, you're likely to get a seat even though longitudinal may not be ideal.

Also don't forget this line is going to continue through the CBD and serve North Sydney, Barangaroo, Wynyard, Pitt Street, Central and most importantly Waterloo (this station alone is planned to house 30,000 people).

It will then take over the Bankstown line which is ripe for metro conversion and TOD. I'm guessing the majority of this line's patronage will come from these inner city trips.
Yeah, I read about the southern and CBD metro connecting up from Chatswood. But still, I don't quite see the demand being there for a 4 min service to have totally longitudinal when an incredibly busy transit system like the Vienna U-bahn doesn't have longitudinal seating, and actually has a lower frequency (and a much denser city). A mix of longitudinal and transverse seating would be good, but totally longitudinal seems overkill to me based on international experience.

Still, the stock looks to be of good quality and I cannot wait to see the line open.

Last edited by Svartmetall; March 19th, 2016 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Corrected the incorrect use of transverse and longitudinal.

Tags
sydney, tram