daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Old December 10th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #1
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 368

TAMPA | Metro 510 | 120 Affordable Apartments | Completed

I think it's necessary to make a seperate thread for this and not flood the Encore thread with a project not related to it.

Sponsored Links

Old December 10th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #2
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATampaArnold View Post
Sorry I am not good at this, but i guess this project was related to a tampa trib article back in november.

St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church in downtown Tampa is undergoing renovation. The building was dedicated in 1914.

By KATHY STEELE | The Tampa Tribune
Published: November 17, 2010
Updated: 11/17/2010 04:41 pm

TAMPA - The gothic majesty of St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church is encased in scaffolding while construction crews craft the church's destiny as a community center and keeper of history.

Beside the church building, a six-story apartment building, Metro 510, will welcome its first tenants in October 2011. Nurses, teachers, police officers and restaurant workers will fill 120 "workforce" affordable apartments in the building at 506 E. Harrison St.

Rents based on income will range from $325 for a one-bedroom apartment to $829 for a three-bedroom residence. The church's fašade will be preserved, and the interior remodeled for a leasing office, exercise room, community room and other apartment amenities.

"It will be the first workforce housing in the core of downtown Tampa," said Debra Koehler, president of Sage Partners, the project's development company.

But what energizes Koehler and many of the church's former congregation is the preservation of the church's legacy. Its congregation dates to 1870; construction on the Harrison Street church began in 1906 and the church was dedicated in 1914.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. made one of his earliest speeches during the civil rights movement from St. Paul. Other iconic figures in black history also have graced the church's sanctuary, including baseball legend Jackie Robinson, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, singer Ray Charles and civil rights activist Jesse Jackson.

Bill Clinton made one of his last speeches at the church before his election as U.S. president.

"This is history that will be told and never be lost," Koehler said.

About 30 people including Mayor Pam Iorio held a groundbreaking ceremony for the project today.

Next door, Sage Partners also is renovating the 200-unit Methodist Place Apartments. The total investment in both projects is about $45 million including federal stimulus dollars. More than 500 jobs are being created.

Sage Partners was founded in 2007 and specializes in affordable, environmentally-friendly housing.

The buildings will be smoke-free inside and outside on apartment grounds.

Some of the church's pews were recycled to other churches in Tampa, Temple Terrace and Venice. Stained-glass windows are being restored. When they are replaced, they will be illuminated at night. "We truly believe in green," Koehler said. "We use sustainable materials."

The preservation of St. Paul, "one of our institutional landmarks," is another boost to downtown development, Iorio said. "Nothing makes a mayor happier than to see this here, to see people working, to see a groundbreaking," she said. "There aren't many communities still having groundbreakings."

The congregation in recent years struggled with a dwindling membership and lack of money for upkeep. Church trustee Pete Edwards said membership once topped 1,000 but had fallen to a 100 or fewer.

More than a year ago, Sage Partners stepped forward with a proposal to preserve the church and build affordable housing next to the Marion Street bus transfer station and a short distance from the Encore project which will replace Central Park Village with apartments, shops and hotels.

The bus station in the future also will be a stop for the high-speed train planned between Tampa and Orlando.

"Kids move on and things change," said Edwards. "It eventually works itself out. We're dedicated to helping the new generation coming down this way."

For Edwards that new generation includes his 6-month-old grandson, Michael Christian Edwards, who was the last baby baptized at the church. Edwards grabbed a shovel for the groundbreaking as his grandson, in a stroller, watched.

"There's a little sadness," Edwards said. "But you have to look toward the future."
Article with some details about the project.
Old December 10th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #3
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknee View Post
Definitely not for Central Park. It's in the same block as the church and apparently is a new project... Designed by Urban Studio Architects. Interesting that we all missed it. Here are some pics.

pics by jonknee, taken 12/8/10.
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #4
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 146

I've sent a request to Urban Studio for renderings. We'll see if I get a response...
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #5
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Likes (Received): 31

I realize that it is affordable and income-based, but $325 still seems incredibly low. Cant wait to see renderings/visualizations, though.
540_804 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #6
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
I realize that it is affordable and income-based, but $325 still seems incredibly low. Cant wait to see renderings/visualizations, though.
lol I dunno how much you make but $325 seems just affordable to me. Although its probably incredibly small
Cost of living here is not exactly proportional to how much people make
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #7
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrisco View Post
lol I dunno how much you make but $325 seems just affordable to me. Although its probably incredibly small
If you can't afford $325 a month you shouldn't be living alone. It's not our metro, at that level you'd qualify for food stamps and the rest.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #8
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 136

Indeed. If one cannot make $325 for rent alone then one should have either dual incomes or not live alone at all, at the least....Market rate for a decent place in that area is substantially higher. Even at "affordable" it should be around $550 IMO.

Steve

"My badger's gonna unleash hell on your ass. Badgertastic!"
tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #9
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Quote:
Yeah the reason I said it seemed kinda low is because the article mentioned specifically that it was targeted towards "Nurses, teachers, police officers and restaurant workers," which certainly aren't high earners but not exactly "low" either. If you calculate rent at 1/4th of your gross monthly income, then someone qualifying for a $325 place would only gross $15600/year (or about $7.80/hour. For low-income housing that might not be such a stretch, but for "affordable" or "workforce" housing it seemed kinda low.

But this is coming from someone who doesn't live in the area, so I really don't know much about the cost of living.

Anyway, its cool that your city is actively addressing a shortage of affordable housing for teachers, nurses and civil servants. My city (and so many other cities) is doing no such thing.
Old December 20th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #10
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Yeah the reason I said it seemed kinda low is because the article mentioned specifically that it was targeted towards "Nurses, teachers, police officers and restaurant workers," which certainly aren't high earners but not exactly "low" either. If you calculate rent at 1/4th of your gross monthly income, then someone qualifying for a $325 place would only gross $15600/year (or about $7.80/hour. For low-income housing that might not be such a stretch, but for "affordable" or "workforce" housing it seemed kinda low.

But this is coming from someone who doesn't live in the area, so I really don't know much about the cost of living.

Anyway, its cool that your city is actively addressing a shortage of affordable housing for teachers, nurses and civil servants. My city (and so many other cities) is doing no such thing.
There are probably a small number of the cheapest units and still the rent would be on a sliding scale. I assume the figure ended up being what it is because it's tied to the funding they received (probably some formula based off of the poverty level or minimum wage).
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:41 AM   #11
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 5

I'm looking at total costs that I would have to pay if I lived there, I'm factoring in a car, school, books, food, utilities. But thats the way I'm lookin at it
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:47 AM   #12
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Quote:
I'm looking at total costs that I would have to pay if I lived there, I'm factoring in a car, school, books, food, utilities. But thats the way I'm lookin at it
Yeah, I figured.
I'm also a student so I know how that is, too.

I live in a very unaffordable apartment right now (rent is like 60% of my monthly income.)

I get what you were saying and knew what you meant.
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:48 AM   #13
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
The price has little meaning without knowing the square footage and building amenities, if there are any. This could be a killer price for a 2BR 850sq ft apartment, or it could be an ok price for a 350sq ft studio.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 05:09 AM   #14
TampaGuy

Likes (Received): 34

I think this project is called Heritage Place.

Quote:
Clemmons Architecture prepared this design as its submittal in an invited competition for a new 120-unit affordable rental housing complex to be located in downtown Tampa. The 1.2 acre project site is a full city block located adjacent to the cityĺs main bus transit terminal. On the southwest corner of the block is a 1915 church building which is a local historic landmark and is to be renovated as the common use facilities for the project including a library, computer lab, fitness center, laundry, and administrative offices.

The new eight-story complex is designed as a perimeter block building organized around a central courtyard. The lower two levels are parking with 20 residential units per floor on the upper six levels. In order to reduce construction costs and also take advantage of the sub-tropical climate the corridors are open air. The building corners have been cut away to provide natural ventilation and daylighting to the corridors and also to visually break down the mass of the structure.

More renders here: http://www.clemmonsarchitecture.com/heritage_place.htm
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM   #15
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Looks like shite!
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM   #16
tampasteve

Not too bad really. Granted it would fit better in Channelside, but overall it could have been way worse. At least it has the parking under the building.

Steve

Old December 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Casey

Likes (Received): 26

I don't think that rendering is what's being built. The architect chosen for this project is Urban Studio, not Clemmons.
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:42 PM   #18
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 509

I want to see the other side of the building. That's the side that matters, not this side.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:46 PM   #19
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 146

^I think there's renderings for all sides at the link TampaGuy posted.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM   #20
tampasteve

Yes, there are plenty of renderings on the website linked above....but whether they are of the building chosen in the end or not are up for debate. It would appear to be a different firm than the one chosen.

Steve