daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #441
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqnot View Post
Even though I'm disappointed in the attendance for the matches, you don't have to exaggerate, average attendance is 13,000 if you calculate the average of all the games. One problem that brought the attendance down is companies buying a lot of tickets and selling them in the black market for a higher price, that harmed the attendance badly.

Even though I agree that England would've had way way more attendance because it's a great footballing nation, I really don't think Australia will be any better than Qatar if not worse in the attendance, we will see in AFC 2015 in Australia.

Reminder: World Cup 2022 is 11 years away.
Average attendance is supposedly 11k with doctoring of the figures, anybody who's seen the "crowds" in Qatar know that it's total rubbish the figures being published. Companies buying tickets? Are you kidding me? The average ticket is at such a low price, from what I've heard, the ticketing has been shambolic and there isn't interest in the tournament to begin with, in Qatar street racing, dune 4WD rolling and camel racing come way before football, a long long way before. This is just a total government sham job as media outlets have been saying, if Qatar really cared about football a) they wouldn't have stolen the rights for the football world cup, b) they would have an actual national team, not a squad of mercenaries who disgrace world football and c) they would actually have some football fans without having to firstly pay them or secondly bribe them with lavish prices such as winning cars at games or more than likely both. Just face it Qatar couldn't run the Asian games without embarrassment, how the heck can Qatar run a world cup? The Asian Cup has further dented the joke bid and it's just getting worse and worse.
MysteryMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #442
invincibletiger

Likes (Received): 2768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
I agree with him.

It's pretty bad. How can Qatar get given a World Cup and the likes of England and Australia aren't.

2,000 attendance for a Major Championship game?

In England you get 15x that for the Womans FA Cup Final.

You get 50,000 turning up for the CONFERENCE PLAY-OFF FINAL. Thats Englands 5th tier.

More people turn up to my sides local team which aren't even professional football.

I find it astonishing.
Did you check the name of this thread before posting? Do you spell World as ASIAN?
invincibletiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #443
woozoo

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Even though I'm disappointed in the attendance for the matches, you don't have to exaggerate, average attendance is 13,000 if you calculate the average of all the games. One problem that brought the attendance down is companies buying a lot of tickets and selling them in the black market for a higher price, that harmed the attendance badly.
Why the **** would anyone buy tickets that nobody wants, in the interest of on selling them at a profit?? To scalp tickets there needs to be demand, in Qatar, there obviously is very little.

The crowds have been very poor. Even the 11,000 official average is terribly weak, not that I think anyone is actually taking those figures seriously.

Quote:
Even though I agree that England would've had way way more attendance because it's a great footballing nation, I really don't think Australia will be any better than Qatar if not worse in the attendance, we will see in AFC 2015 in Australia.

Reminder: World Cup 2022 is 11 years away. Give them a break untill then.
Umm, what does the fact that the world cup is 11 years away have anything to do with attendance. It's not like the population of Qatar is going to significantly increase over that time.
woozoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #444
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Why the **** would anyone buy tickets that nobody wants, in the interest of on selling them at a profit?? To scalp tickets there needs to be demand, in Qatar, there obviously is very little.

The crowds have been very poor. Even the 11,000 official average is terribly weak, not that I think anyone is actually taking those figures seriously.

Umm, what does the fact that the world cup is 11 years away have anything to do with attendance. It's not like the population of Qatar is going to significantly increase over that time.
First off, watch your language and the way you talk.

Second of all, Qatar is a new country, it's population has more than doubled in 5 years from 800,000 in 2005 to 1.7 million in 2010, what makes you think it won't quadrible to 4 or 5 million in 11 years?

Plus the fact that the whole middle east and the world is interested in watching the World Cup and not just Qatar's population is what will change the attendance.

Last edited by Conqnot; January 24th, 2011 at 02:34 PM.
Conqnot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #445
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

That just shows your level of maturity, you probably recently learned these words, picked them off the streets not too long ago, and saw a huge opportunity to finally use them to appear strong in front of your fellow internet peers.

*clap *clap *clap

Back on topic, my predictions for tommorow's games

South Korea 2:1 Japan

Australia 0:1 Uzbekistan

*What influenced my prediction for the South Korea vs. Japan game is that one of Japan's best players Yoshida won't be playing because of the red card he got in the previous game.

Last edited by Conqnot; January 24th, 2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #446
Popwannabe

Those are really beautiful stadiums, but they do have a sort of training ground feel to them, apart from the bigger Khalifa Int'l Stadium. I'm not really following the event tbh, coz there's just too much European football going on. It's a pity when tournaments like this (as with AFCON) take place during the regular season.
Popwannabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #447
HasseVonHammarby

Stop it

Please all you Australians, forget World Cup now. You didn't get it and can't blaim anybody else than yourself. Why should you be so much better host than any else of the new footbal countries.
I think the attendance is good. Remember none of the teams can be considdered to be top world teams and the players are not names that can get most people to leave their homes.
HasseVonHammarby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #448
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
That's your opinion, we get it but since when was 11k okay for an average attendance when last time was pulling much higher than that.
I'm going to mark your words for AFC 2015 in Australia, I highly doubt Australia can pull off anything better than Qatar in terms of attendance.

Jordan vs. Uzbekistan had 17,000 attendance

if this game was in Australia, the attendance would be nothing over 500.

Last edited by Conqnot; January 24th, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #449
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I'm going to mark your words for AFC 2015 in Australia, I highly doubt Australia can pull off anything better than Qatar in terms of attendance.

Jordan vs. Uzbekistan had 17,000 attendance

if this game was in Australia, the attendance would be nothing over 500.
Actually you would be surprised.

I tried to take my wife to the badminton at the Comm Games. It's a sport no one here give a hoot about, so I figured it would be easy. Tickets for all finals were sold out.

Not saying it will be the same for the Asian Cup, but it comes down to local promotion. You make the locals feel a part of a greater event, they will attend just to be a part of the event.

And on the current posting, I also agree some people need to move on regarding 2022. The decision is done and it's boring crying about it still. Also people, Mystery Mike is a Brit, so please stop calling him and Australian.

Last edited by T74; January 24th, 2011 at 10:47 PM.
T74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #450
T74

Back to the football though, I cannot split japan and korea, wouldn't bet on this one for love or money.

A couple of injuries to the Australian list and the lack of the extra days break worries me though for the uzbek game
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #451
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6446

Well weren't Australian's the 3rd highest foreign ticket holders for WC2010?

Quote:
England was second behind the United States in ticket purchases by foreign fans, followed by Australia, Mexico, Germany and Brazil. The global economic crisis forced South African organizers to lower expectations of visitors to 300,000 from 450,000.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060704456.html
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #452
stresss

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasseVonHammarby View Post
Please all you Australians, forget World Cup now. You didn't get it and can't blaim anybody else than yourself. Why should you be so much better host than any else of the new footbal countries.
I think the attendance is good. Remember none of the teams can be considdered to be top world teams and the players are not names that can get most people to leave their homes.
On the contrary many of the teams playing are so close to Qatar that if anything they'd be more likely to get a larger attendance due to the travelling fans. Sure the players arent your leo messi's or cristiano ronaldo's but you've still got epl talent with the likes of ji sun park, tim cahill, an abundance of other european stars like kagawa, hasebe, neill + the korean contingent in scotland and other parts of europe, if you were to host a football tournament of any kind you'd hope that the fans would acknowledge such talent and go to watch it instead of just waiting for the odd chance of a big name star
if that was the case why would any one else watch football but a handful of nations in europe and south america?
stresss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #453
invincibletiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
As I said previously, I think it's the difference between getting migrant players who want to make their home at that country, and those who will only be a XXXX citizen as long as they are on the national team.

Rightly or wrongly, there is a perception out there that certain countries pay players to be change citizenship for the short term gig. To be far, this has been around since the eighties, just the countries doing it changes.

Personally I am not a fan. Yet to see a national team of any sport prosper based on short term mercenary imports. Looks good on paper, but the players who take these deals are usually not guns anyway.
Though I am not a fan of countries importing foreign players, Qatar is not the only country doing this. In the last Commonwealth Games held in Delhi in October, I saw quite a few countries doing the same - Qatar and Bahrain in Athletics, New Zealand and (surprise, surprise) Australia in Table Tennis. The entire Australian (and NZ as well) women's TT squad was Chinese.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #454
Dimethyltryptamine

I bet if any of the Australian/New Zealand TT players were interviewed, they would sound Australian. That's generally a trait of immigration at ones will, as opposed to flashing a bit of $$ around and giving them citizenship.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #455
invincibletiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I bet if any of the Australian/New Zealand TT players were interviewed, they would sound Australian. That's generally a trait of immigration at ones will, as opposed to flashing a bit of $$ around and giving them citizenship.
An example: Jian Fang Lay (born March 6, 1973) - Born in Wen Zhou, China, Lay moved to Melbourne in the early 1990s. She was selected in the Australian national team in 1994.

Moved to Aus in early nineties and in Australian team in 94. Getting a citizenship is so easy in Australia? In just a 1-2 years? Or its only if you are Olympic material?

What's the difference in flashing $$ and flashing an Olympic berth. These Chinese players knew they won't get within the top-10 in China, so they moved to Aus.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #456
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Those attendances are awful...

19,000 to watch the home team play in a quarterfinal?

Even in the USA where soccer is the 5th sport we get better attendances to the Gold Cup where you have powerhouses like Grenada and Haiti squaring off...

For comparison the Mexico vs Haiti quarterfinal in '09 had 85,000 people.
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #457
Dimethyltryptamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincibletiger View Post
An example: Jian Fang Lay (born March 6, 1973) - Born in Wen Zhou, China, Lay moved to Melbourne in the early 1990s. She was selected in the Australian national team in 1994.

Moved to Aus in early nineties and in Australian team in 94. Getting a citizenship is so easy in Australia? In just a 1-2 years? Or its only if you are Olympic material?

What's the difference in flashing $$ and flashing an Olympic berth. These Chinese players knew they won't get within the top-10 in China, so they moved to Aus.
Right, because we love table tennis so much in Australia that we're actively seeking Chinese nationals to represent our country. Just seems to me like she immigrated to Australia from China (like a lot of Chinese people do...), was granted citizenship and continued playing Table Tennis as she probably did in China...

Nevermind, forget it. That's above and beyond your level of thinking.
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #458
T74

Quote:
Though I am not a fan of countries importing foreign players, Qatar is not the only country doing this. In the last Commonwealth Games held in Delhi in October, I saw quite a few countries doing the same - Qatar and Bahrain in Athletics, New Zealand and (surprise, surprise) Australia in Table Tennis. The entire Australian (and NZ as well) women's TT squad was Chinese.
I believe I said it was happening nit just with Qatar, so not sure what you disagree with me on that for.

Also it's about migration intent for me. If you move to the USA (for instance) and want to live there permanently, then I agree completely TNT person should compete for the USA.

However there have been cases where the person still lives in the original country, never works or permanently lives in the adopted country seriously, and stops completely once their career is over. I hate this because this person is not adopting their new land, they are just a gun for hire.

To repeat again, this is not about Qatar. I remember not long ago countries were targeting US basketballers to fill their national sides, and before that eastern european athletes and tennis players. As I said, it's not a new game, just that the countries and sport change.

On the table tennis players for australia, they would earn SFA here (people don't even play it much as a hobby). Also the Chinese are now one of the min migrant groups permanently relocating to australia, so I suspect they are part of that wave.

To be blunt, Australia lacks the cash to chase decent players, so if they come it has to be for lifestyle. My wife is Chinese, and she has never even heard of the players in our team, and is convinced they were b graders at best (which given their results to date is a fair assessment).
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #459
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:

2 years is exactly how long it takes to qualify for citizenship in Australia.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #460
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Don't forget Germany's national football team

Cacau (born in Brazil)
Lukas Podolski (born in Poland)
Marko Marin (born in Yugoslovia)
Andreas Beck (born in Soviet Union)
Piotr Trochowski (born in Poland)
Miroslav Klose (born in Poland)

In my personal opinion, a person shouldn't be allowed to play for a country's national team unless if he was born in that country.