daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #521
stresss

Likes (Received): 13

i was going for japan and australia in the semi finals and i was a very happy man last night as i have parents from japan and australia but am now faced with the tough decision of who to pick for the final.
it will most likely be australia as its the country of my birth and where i've lived my whole life but i've been fanatical about the japanese national team for most of my life
anyway, i predict a result in normal time, japan will throw everything at the aussies to try and avoid extra time
stresss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #522
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stresss View Post
i was going for japan and australia in the semi finals and i was a very happy man last night as i have parents from japan and australia but am now faced with the tough decision of who to pick for the final.
it will most likely be australia as its the country of my birth and where i've lived my whole life but i've been fanatical about the japanese national team for most of my life
anyway, i predict a result in normal time, japan will throw everything at the aussies to try and avoid extra time
Good call.

Gotta love the Japanese fans too. The friendly at the MCG was great, with massive noise being generated by the several bays of blue fans. I'll be disappointed to lose, but Japanese fans wear their hearts on their sleeves, and seeing them get the win is a nice consolation prize
T74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #523
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
Good call.

Gotta love the Japanese fans too. The friendly at the MCG was great, with massive noise being generated by the several bays of blue fans. I'll be disappointed to lose, but Japanese fans wear their hearts on their sleeves, and seeing them get the win is a nice consolation prize
The game against Japan at the MCG was a WCQ mate.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #524
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
The game against Japan at the MCG was a WCQ mate.
Doh, that will teach me for posting while watching the tennis
T74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #525
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqnot View Post
They may not have lost a game in regular time, prior to the QF this year, but Jordan still lost the 2004 QF to Japan on Penalties. That is a loss in the end.

On that basis, there is an issue with the statement made. Jordan had a great tournament though, and clearly missed Odai in the QF, who really was their star performer in other matches.

As for the SF game (Aus vs Uzb), it was a whitewash that could have been double that, but the keeper did all he could to save them. In the end, he had no support, which must be hard to keep motivated. Crowd was decent for the fact that neither were nearby Gulf/Arab countries, and had only moderate levels of supporters coming across for the event.

As for some comments on here, including a line about congratulating Britain, in relation to Australia, they are uncalled for. At times it does seem fine for some to make provoking statements, then try and claim it was all someone elses fault. It definately is a two-way street here.
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #526
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 434

As for the prediction for the final, I can definately see it going to Extra Time, and maybe penalties. In the end, its a very close match up, which might just go the way of the Japanese, who are a quicker, younger side.
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #527
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
As for the prediction for the final, I can definately see it going to Extra Time, and maybe penalties. In the end, its a very close match up, which might just go the way of the Japanese, who are a quicker, younger side.
That could be offset by them playing a grueling SF against South Korea that went into ET & then penalties. I'm sure that would have sapped alot of energy. Though it's a decent enough break before the final I guess.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #528
cornelinho

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Lets just analyse that score prediction a bit
Australia-played 5 matches -scored 13-conceded 1

You could well be right
god your annoying...

as it seems this are the best teams of the tournament australia having a great striking force and japan a very good strategic play... so i was thinking at a 2-2 in 90 min 3-3 in 120 and the shootout
how impossible is that ?
##################
##################

Romania
cornelinho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #529
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
They may not have lost a game in regular time, prior to the QF this year, but Jordan still lost the 2004 QF to Japan on Penalties. That is a loss in the end.

On that basis, there is an issue with the statement made. Jordan had a great tournament though, and clearly missed Odai in the QF, who really was their star performer in other matches.

As for the SF game (Aus vs Uzb), it was a whitewash that could have been double that, but the keeper did all he could to save them. In the end, he had no support, which must be hard to keep motivated. Crowd was decent for the fact that neither were nearby Gulf/Arab countries, and had only moderate levels of supporters coming across for the event.

As for some comments on here, including a line about congratulating Britain, in relation to Australia, they are uncalled for. At times it does seem fine for some to make provoking statements, then try and claim it was all someone elses fault. It definately is a two-way street here.
Hey man, an elimination by penalties is not considered a loss by FIFA laws, it just a way to decide who's going through and who's not, it is still considered a tie.

Oh and in our game against Uzbekistan, we did infact have 4 players missing that played in our previous games

Odai Al Saifi (striker) - Due to Injury
Hatem Aqel (defender) - Due to Injury
Anas Bani Yaseen (midfielder) - Due to Injury
Basem Fathi (defender) - due to yellow cards (the second one was a false yellow)

I'm sorry about that comment but it's people like _X_ who make me sick, disrespecting the teams in the competition.

My prediction for Australia vs. Japan game: 2-2 and then Japan will score a goal in the extra time.
Conqnot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #530
Alrayyan
كعبه المضيوم

Likes (Received): 483

Quote:
Hey man, an elimination by penalties is not considered a loss by FIFA laws, it just a way to decide who's going through and who's not, it is still considered a tie.

I'm sorry about that comment but it's people like _X_ who make me sick, disrespecting the teams in the competition.

My prediction for Australia vs. Japan game: 2-2 and then Japan will score a goal in the extra time.
True, where is the sport spirit....
I was hoping for a better Final game

فوقك سماوات العظيم، وتحتك رفات المخلصين
اكفخ بنبض ارواحنا، يدعم على مر السنين
Alrayyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #531
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrayyan View Post
True, where is the sport spirit....
I was hoping for a better Final game
I guess some people just ruin it for the others.

About the game, I think it will be actually good, we got the strongest offense (Japan) against the strongest defense (Australia). The Japanese must find a way in Schwarzer's net, that goalkeeper doesn't look like he's gonna let any goals go in.
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #532
stresss

Likes (Received): 13

to be honest despite being an australian i think a japan korea final would have been perfect/the best possible final as was proven when they played last night
stresss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #533
okulaja

Attendance:
2004 - (31,877 per match)
2007 - (22,632 per match)
2011(Qatar) - (12,000 per match)
2022 World Cup ?
okulaja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #534
gavstar00

Likes (Received): 133

Can I ask what are peoples overall opinions on the tournament so far from an attendence/interest of the local public or fans point of view?

I've done a quick tally of the attendence's versus the capacity of the stadia and thus far of the 808,000 available seats (granted some were probably not available but its the only take on it I can do) when you tally the attendences you get 359,988 which represents 44.55% of available capacity.

Average attendence for the stadiums are as follows (with only the final to go)
  • Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan - 38.50%
  • Al Gharafa Stadium, Doha - 41.82%
  • Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium, Doha - 47.98%
  • Khalifa International Stadium, Doha - 54.86%
  • Qatar SC Stadium, Doha - 34.86%
Considering the stadia are not absolutely massive (aside from Khalifa at 50,000, Al Gharafa & Ahmed bin Ali are 25,000, Qatar SC is 20,000 and Jassim Bin Hamad is 17,000) would people view the tournament as a success in terms of attendence?
gavstar00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #535
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavstar00 View Post
Can I ask what are peoples overall opinions on the tournament so far from an attendence/interest of the local public or fans point of view?

I've done a quick tally of the attendence's versus the capacity of the stadia and thus far of the 808,000 available seats (granted some were probably not available but its the only take on it I can do) when you tally the attendences you get 359,988 which represents 44.55% of available capacity.

Average attendence for the stadiums are as follows (with only the final to go)
  • Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan - 38.50%
  • Al Gharafa Stadium, Doha - 41.82%
  • Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium, Doha - 47.98%
  • Khalifa International Stadium, Doha - 54.86%
  • Qatar SC Stadium, Doha - 34.86%
Considering the stadia are not absolutely massive (aside from Khalifa at 50,000, Al Gharafa & Ahmed bin Ali are 25,000, Qatar SC is 20,000 and Jassim Bin Hamad is 17,000) would people view the tournament as a success in terms of attendence?
I wouldn't call it a success, but I wouldn't call it a failure either.
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #536
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a success, but I wouldn't call it a failure either.
FAIL
MysteryMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #537
MysteryMike
BANNED

Another night, another embarrassing crowd, another atmosphere lacking stadium, another organisational disaster, welcome to Qatar 2011, disgracing the Asian game, the world game, actually world sport in general.

MysteryMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #538
Ampelio
...is the art of space

Likes (Received): 1576

yes, so embarassing...

Last night were the semifinal matches of the biggest football tournament in Asia...
3 out of 4 semifinalists have been regular participants in last World Cups
Numbers of European clubs' stars played (Ji Sung, Kewell, Cahill, Honda, Kagawa etc)

but look at half of the stadiums' empty seats!!!

where have all the gulf's 'millions' football fanatics been gone? where are they???
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #539
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampelio View Post
yes, embarassing...

Last night were the semifinal matches of the biggest football tournament in Asia...
3 out of 4 semifinalists have been regular participants in last World Cups
Many European clubs' stars played (Ji Sung, Kewell, Cahill, Honda, Kagawa etc)

but look at half of the stadiums' empty seats!!!

where have all the gulf's 'millions' football fanatics been gone? where are they???
They're still there, semi final in the AFC Champions league between Al-Hilal (Saudi Arabia) and Zobahan (Iran) in Saudi Arabia had 70,000 attendance in 2010.

It's just that Qatar's low population is not helping Qatar with the attendance.
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #540
Ampelio
...is the art of space

Likes (Received): 1576

Hmmmm.... okay

Quote:
Asian Cup: Empty seats a cause for concern in Qatar

Tuesday, 18 January 2011 02:30

Red-faced 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar were forced yesterday to explain the rows of empty seats at many Asian Cup matches after barely 3,500 people watched a crunch group game.

Tournament organisers also addressed concerns as to why the apparently sell-out must-win final group game between the hosts and Kuwait at the 40,000 capacity Khalifa Stadium on Sunday saw many seats unoccupied.

That same evening, only 3,529 people were at Al Gharafa Stadium - capacity 22,000 - to see a thrilling 2-2 draw between China, the world’s most populous country, and Uzbekistan.

The result saw the Uzbeks top their group and China go home, while Qatar also progressed to the last eight with a 3-0 win.

“We try our best to attract people to come here,” said tournament director Tokuaki Suzuki, adding it was particularly hard to draw large crowds to stadiums when there are two games going on at the same time.

“There are not so many people who came to Qatar from China. We are trying our best to attract fans to the stadiums.”

Qatar, which is smaller than the Pacific island of Vanuatu or the American state of Connecticut, controversially won the right to host the World Cup in 2022 ahead of Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States.

Iran coach Afshin Ghotbi has been among those who has pleaded with local people to fill stadiums at the Asian Cup, warning: “The world is watching.”

But his call has gone largely unheeded, with stadiums usually about half-full. Organisers were also left embarrassed after Qatar fans left in their droves well before the end of the hosts’ opening 2-0 defeat to Uzbekistan.

The cavernous Khalifa Stadium was eerily empty by the time the final whistle blew, the celebrations of the Uzbeks’ small travelling contingent echoing around the ground.

Jassim Al Rumaihi, spokesman for the local organising committee, admitted he was “shocked” by the vast rows of empty seats at the China-Uzbekistan game.

“Tickets go to the corporate companies, but unfortunately some people don’t come,” he said.

“We are making every effort to get bigger crowds, especially in the second round of games, I hope.”

By Staff Reporter

link: http://www.sport360.com/football/news/21061
Quote:
Mystery of vacant seats in Doha

Tetsuya Kazama / Yomiuri Shimbun Staff Writer

DOHA--In Qatar's stadiums hosting Asian Cup soccer games, empty seats have been noticeable despite impressive sales figures.

Organizers are concerned about implications this may have for the nation as host of the 2022 World Cup.

Doha's main stadium can accommodate about 40,000 spectators, while the capacity of four other stadiums being used for Cup games ranges from 12,000 to 25,000.

Although the tournament opener, featuring Qatar, attracted a 90 percent-capacity crowd, group-stage games have averaged just 11,000.

This is well below the 22,000 fans at group-stage games for the 2007 Asian Cup--jointly hosted by Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, and the 32,000 average in China in 2004.

Despite the sparse crowds, ticket sales have been strong.

"Other than the Qatar match, we expected the sales to be around 40 percent overall," said one organizer.

Yet the organizing committee has said that 80 percent of the tickets for group-stage games were sold. One explanation being floated is that organizers sold too many tickets to companies and schools, leaving soccer fans out in the cold.

Another theory is that with domestic professional soccer still in its infancy, locals are not that used to paying to watch games.
(Jan. 25, 2011)

link: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/T110124003866.htm

Last edited by Ampelio; January 26th, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Ampelio no está en línea   Reply With Quote