daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #561
Ampelio
...is the art of space

Likes (Received): 1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqnot View Post
They're still there, semi final in the AFC Champions league between Al-Hilal (Saudi Arabia) and Zobahan (Iran) in Saudi Arabia had 70,000 attendance in 2010.

It's just that Qatar's low population is not helping Qatar with the attendance.
okay... Qatar's low population may affect but it's not totally appropriate to be blamed on...

As comparison, we can see FC Barcelona's home matches... City of Barcelona has only 1.6 million pops.(approx.Qatar size) with additional 4-5 millions in the greater metro area but look at their giant Camp Nou stadium w/ its 90,000 capacity, almost left no empty seats every week game

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #562
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Imagine just how many Australians and Japanese would have been in Doha 'cept for what happened over the last few months.Most likely would have a truly international feel to that match.I know of folks that are missing Australia live for the first time in 15 years(not counting some pacific qualifiers)

Its such a shame the tournament was devalued so badly
_X_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #563
stresss

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampelio View Post
okay... Qatar's low population may affect but it's not totally appropriate to be blamed on...

As comparison, we can see FC Barcelona's home matches... City of Barcelona has only 1.6 million pops.(approx.Qatar size) with additional 4-5 millions in the greater metro area but look at their giant Camp Nou stadium w/ its 90,000 capacity, almost left no empty seats every week game
i know what you're trying to say here but you can't really compare the two against each other. barcelona has had professional football, constantly home to the world's biggest footballers for well over a century now. as has been said earlier in the thread the qatari league is in its infancy and by watching their national team you tell that football in general is still young in qatar so of course they won't be reaching anywhere near the same attendances as people who live breathe eat sleep football and fcbarcelona or espanyol.
stresss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #564
stresss

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Imagine just how many Australians and Japanese would have been in Doha 'cept for what happened over the last few months.Most likely would have a truly international feel to that match.I know of folks that are missing Australia live for the first time in 15 years(not counting some pacific qualifiers)

im an aussie and i can understand the hatred we had/have for qatar after the world cup decision but firstly supporting a team shouldnt really matter about where you're going so much as about supporting the team. so being put off by that no matter how much rage it caused is silly if one were considering supporting their team on the asian stage. i have certainly considered boycotting world cup 2022 but it doesnt do any good to nobody, i'd rather be in the stadium supporting my team than giving into the politics of it all.
stresss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #565
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:

.... It's not THAT bad
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:02 AM   #566
Weebie

Likes (Received): 5

I think this tournament has been a success. It's definatly the best Asian Cup ever in terms of organisation. promotion etc. Theres just been empty stadiums but for the World Cup there won't be an empty seat at all.
Weebie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #567
Alrayyan
كعبه المضيوم

Likes (Received): 483

359,194 spectators attended Asian Cup matches

DOHA, 27 January 2011- The organisers of the AFC Asian Cup 2011 announced that about 359,194 spectators so far attended the matches of the event.

The match between Qatar and Uzbekistan in the first round was attended by 37.143 spectators while the match between Qatar and China was attended by 30.778 spectators.

(Source: QOC)

فوقك سماوات العظيم، وتحتك رفات المخلصين
اكفخ بنبض ارواحنا، يدعم على مر السنين
Alrayyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #568
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebie View Post
I think this tournament has been a success. It's definatly the best Asian Cup ever in terms of organisation. promotion etc. Theres just been empty stadiums but for the World Cup there won't be an empty seat at all.
Success is all relative I guess, depending on the definition.

I must say that this was more of an operational success than 2007, but the decision to play in 4 countries in that event was just plain madness. If Qatar can handle the event in 1 city, why 4 large countries were needed is beyond my thinking

Who knows what will happen in 11 years time. Thats now up to Qatar and FIFA to work out a solution to.
Melb_aviator está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #569
gavstar00

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
But empty stadiums imply something has gone wrong somewhere along the line. There's an argument that it's Qatar's population that is the problem but judging by some of the attendences for countries in the direct region of Qatar, it's symptomatic of a larger problem within the region:
  • Bahrain - 6,649, 11,032, 3,919 for their group games
  • UAE - 3,639, 7,233, 5,012 for their group games
  • Saudi Arabia - 16,552, 17,349, 9,849 for their group games
  • Kuwait - 7,423, 3,481, 28,339(Qatar game) for their group games
These are the countries that are pretty much as close to the hosts as possible and have the easiest transport links so the low turnout in stadiums may be due to a lack of travelling support and/or interest in the competition
gavstar00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #570
_X_

Quote:
Except that all those matches will be seen by just 140,000 people.Unlike other World Cups where there is a ticket limit of 1 match per day and a maximum of 7 matches per person for the entire WC ,Qatars solution is to allow you to watch as many games as you want with 9 of the stadiums within 20kms.
Only one catch-you must have huge $ for all the 5 star accommodation,$20 beers and almost complete corporate takeover.The small pool of people means that far less beds need to be built
People like yourself that regularly see 19-22 matches per WC simply won't be able to afford it.People like me that see 10 matches will be flying in and out of the country a million times,if we can even bare the thought at all

Back on topic Qatar have tried every trick in the book re crowds-virtual seat giveaways($1.85 children all categories,$8 adults for the final),random seat colours at the stadium,busing thousands in from the labour camps,prize giveaways such as cars at the matches,one bay only for women so that the camera gives the perception that thousands of women are present,recorded crowd noise for atmosphere,oversized media areas to bring down official capacity,4 very small stadiums so that 6,000 does look so small

Really hope the final is a real sellout,as all tickets are apparently sold but will people turn up without a ME team competing-I doubt it.The cost of tickets is so low that people aren't really losing anything by not going.
Also note that in both Australia and Japan the match will be played after midnight------not good enough,should have been played 3 hours earlier for the massive population of East Asia
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #571
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavstar00 View Post
But empty stadiums imply something has gone wrong somewhere along the line. There's an argument that it's Qatar's population that is the problem but judging by some of the attendences for countries in the direct region of Qatar, it's symptomatic of a larger problem within the region:
These are the countries that are pretty much as close to the hosts as possible and have the easiest transport links so the low turnout in stadiums may be due to a lack of travelling support and/or interest in the competition
You keep saying the same thing over and over so you make me repeat myself, it's not a problem in the region because 3 months ago, the semi-final of AFC Champions League between Al Hilal (Saudi Arabia) and Thobahan (Iran) had 70,000 attendance in Saudi Arabia.

Videos of the attendance:

Last edited by Conqnot; January 27th, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Conqnot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #572
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavstar00 View Post
17 January 2011
16:15
Saudi Arabia 0 – 5 Japan Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan
Attendance: 2,022
Referee: Ravshan Irmatov (Uzbekistan)
Report Okazaki Goal 8', 13', 80'
Maeda Goal 19', 51'
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #573
_X_

Quote:
You keep saying the same thing over and over so you make me repeat myself, it's not a problem in the region because 3 months ago, the semi-final of AFC Xhampions League between Al Hilal (Saudi Arabia) and Thobahan (Iran) had 70,000 attendance in Saudi Arabia.

Videos of the attendance:

So what would happen if Saudi Arabia was playing in the Wrld Cup in Qatar?
Have you got attendance figures for the Q League?
Have you seen attendance figures for WCQs in the ME.
You're example is the exception not the rule.
Another point to make here is that ALL the big ME populations are represented here.In 2022 Qatar will play and at best another 2 West Asian teams but more likely Qatar will be the only team from the area
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #574
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

I'm not talking about Qatar now, I'm defending against what was said by gavstar, because he claims that it's a problem in the region.

And this is definitely not an exception, this is the rule in Saudi Arabia.
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #575
Melb_aviator

Quote:

I'm not talking about Qatar now, I'm defending against what was said by gavstar, because he claims that it's a problem in the region.

And this is definitely not an exception, this is the rule in Saudi Arabia.
I think he was talking about the region and its support for events like the Asian Cup, given the fact that they are so close, but still could not get significant support. It was trying to link that to a possible issue with the WC, but the 2 events should be looked at seperately, not as one.

A significant locally based Indian population helped boost the matches involving that team in this event for example, which was a good thing. It could be vital to get certain neighbouring teams into the event to help boost support in a WC, but its hard for many to get excited, and travel, for an Asian Cup, which is why its hard to analyise what the situation could be for the bigger event.
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #576
Conqnot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
I think he was talking about the region and its support for events like the Asian Cup, given the fact that they are so close, but still could not get significant support. It was trying to link that to a possible issue with the WC, but the 2 events should be looked at seperately, not as one.

A significant locally based Indian population helped boost the matches involving that team in this event for example, which was a good thing. It could be vital to get certain neighbouring teams into the event to help boost support in a WC, but its hard for many to get excited, and travel, for an Asian Cup, which is why its hard to analyise what the situation could be for the bigger event.
Don't forget that it's also the timing of the competition, many people have exams from around January to February and didn't get a chance to go.
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #577
Melb_aviator

Quote:
Don't forget that it's also the timing of the competition, many people have exams from around January to February and didn't get a chance to go.
I can see what you are getting at there, although even in 2022, if the event ends up being in January, the exams are likely to be there too, so its hard to single that out as something that can boost attendance, without scheduling changes.

In June though,if it ends up going ahead as planned, many will likely leave the country, as they tend to do from Gulf nations, to go to other locations, due to heat, which also is a factor to take into consideration.

In the end, theres many reasons that can affect crowd numbers, but there are several concerning stats from this event that will likely have a few at FIFA now starting to worry, if they werent already before. There will need to be a lot of planning to maximise the local support, and capture the imagination of the people, with lacked that engagement, and connection, in this event.
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #578
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

MysteryMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #579
gavstar00

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post

Thanks Melb_aviator that was the crux of what I was trying to get across. I didn't mention the likes of Koreas, Oz or China etc. as I figured the distance was a contributing factor in terms of the expense of travelling to Qatar for the tournament whereas it is less of a barrier for 'fans' from countires within the region.

To give a fair picture, below is the overall in terms of attendence for each game:

Matches Stadium Attendance Attendance V Capacity
Group Games
Qatar v Uzbekistan -Khalifa International Stadium, Doha -37,143 -92.86%
Kuwait v China -Al Gharafa Stadium, Doha -7,423 -35.35%
Uzbekistan v Kuwait -Al Gharafa Stadium, Doha -3,481 -16.58%
China v Qatar -Khalifa International Stadium, Doha -30,778 -76.95%
Qatar v Kuwait -Khalifa International Stadium, Doha -28,339 -70.85%
China v Uzbekistan -Al Gharafa Stadium, Doha -3,529 -16.80%
Japan v Jordan -Qatar SC Stadium, Doha -6,255 -31.28%
Saudi Arabia v Syria -Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan -16,562 -78.87%
Jordan v Saudi Arabia -Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan -17,349 -82.61%
Syria v Japan -Qatar SC Stadium, Doha -10,453 -52.27%
Saudi Arabia v Japan -Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan -2,022 -9.63%
Jordan v Syria -Qatar SC Stadium, Doha -9,849 -49.25%
India v Australia -Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium, Doha -9,783 -57.55%
South Korea v Bahrain -Al Gharafa Stadium, Doha -6,669 -31.76%
Australia v South Korea -Al Gharafa Stadium, Doha -15,526 -73.93%
Bahrain v India -Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium, Doha -11,032 -64.89%
South Korea v India -Al Gharafa Stadium, Doha -11,366 -54.12%
Australia v Bahrain -Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium, Doha -3,919 -23.05%
N.Korea v UAE -Qatar SC Stadium, Doha -3,639 -18.20%
Iraq v Iran -Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan -10,478 -49.90%
Iran v N.Korea -Qatar SC Stadium, Doha -6,488 -32.44%
UAE v Iraq -Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan -7,233 -34.44%
Iraq v N.Korea -Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan -4,111 -19.58%
UAE v Iran -Qatar SC Stadium, Doha -5,012 -25.06%
Quarter Finals
Japan v Qatar -Al Gharafa Stadium, Doha -19,479 -92.76%
Uzbekistan v Jordan -Khalifa International Stadium, Doha -16,073 -40.18%
Australia v Iraq -Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium, Doha -7,889 -46.41%
Iran v South Korea -Qatar SC Stadium, Doha -7,111 -35.56%
Semi Finals
Japan v South Korea -Al Gharafa Stadium, Doha -16,171 -77.00%
Uzbekistan v Australia -Khalifa International Stadium, Doha -24,826 -62.07%

I think its a fair thing to focus on the overall attendences when the organisers are happy to release the kind of skewed statements that attempt to paint a very different picture:

Quote:
DOHA, 27 January 2011- The organisers of the AFC Asian Cup 2011 announced that about 359,194 spectators so far attended the matches of the event.

The match between Qatar and Uzbekistan in the first round was attended by 37.143 spectators while the match between Qatar and China was attended by 30.778 spectators.

Last edited by gavstar00; January 27th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
gavstar00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #580
Alrayyan
كعبه المضيوم

Likes (Received): 483

Quote:
Back on topic Qatar have tried every trick in the book re crowds-virtual seat giveaways($1.85 children all categories,$8 adults for the final),random seat colours at the stadium,busing thousands in from the labour camps,prize giveaways such as cars at the matches,one bay only for women so that the camera gives the perception that thousands of women are present,recorded crowd noise for atmosphere,oversized media areas to bring down official capacity,4 very small stadiums so that 6,000 does look so small
False, False & False as always.

All stadiums have appropriate seating colors except Khalifa which has a mixture of White, Maroon and grey.

The so called "prizes" are not anyway related to the organizers, its just news papers that photograph random spectators attending the matches that relate to Qatar (4 matches)

One bay for women ? Wrong, its a family exclusive area.

No such records for crowd noise, it was all natural.

Over sized media area (at Khalifa stadium only) to guarantee a successful Asian Cup.

The stadiums are the ones available right now in Qatar.

Busing thousands from labour camps ? please give me a break , no such thing happened.

فوقك سماوات العظيم، وتحتك رفات المخلصين
اكفخ بنبض ارواحنا، يدعم على مر السنين
Alrayyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote