search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Norway > Oslo

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #1
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 848

FJORDCITY | Filipstad

I've realized how much chaos it is in info about Filipstad, so I've decided to start a thread, so we can gather it all.

Filipstad

Filipstad's place in the Fjordcity:

Today the location harbours a harbour (!), and terminal for the Germany ferries. This is how it looks currently:

As part of the Fjordcity plans, Filipstad will be (partly) transformed into an extension of the inner city. It will still be the hub for the Germany ferries, though, and most likely also some other cruise traffic. Eitherway, it is decided that Filipstad will include:

•between 2 250 - 3 000 appartments
•about 9 000 workplaces
•totaly 100 ha public space, of which a central park on 50 ha and a harbour promenade along the shoreline
•max volume 450 000 sqm new constructions (exploitation ~140%).

Proposal made by CIVITAS, LPO and Spacegroup for Oslo Havn, HAV eiendom and ROM eiendom, for a general masterplan:

Map/overview over the area:

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

Last edited by IceCheese; February 1st, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #2
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Filipstad is about to move into a more critical fase. A report on future terminals for cruise ships in Oslo, is out on hearing untill January 31st (link: http://www.prosjekt-fjordbyen.oslo.k...eutredning.pdf). This will decide for a long time which areas will be bounded for cruise ships and ferries, and make it much easier to start planning the rest of Filipstad.

Most likely (to me) how a future terminal for cruise ships and ferries at Hjortnes, located on the western part of the pier. It includes a huge extension of the pier

The planning agency in Oslo initiated the planning process for the whole Filipstad area summer '09. Now they've stated they'll be ready with an area program for public hearing some time first half of 2011 (YIMBY chance!).
PBE has also made a fairly new (this October) preliminary regulation plan for the area, which can be seen here: http://web102881.pbe.oslo.kommune.no...fileid=2871882 (HUGE jpeg!) Take this with a caution pill though, as we're so early on in the process.

When they'll start the actual building, is a bit in the blue yet, I guess. Since the plan qualifies for a "KU" and all that, the process from initiative to approval will be especially long. Probably 2014-15 at best for sales start. Then maybe the whole thing will be ready in 2020!

Last edited by IceCheese; December 16th, 2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old December 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #3
gorod

Likes (Received): 12

Nice! Filipstad will be a great addition to the Fjordcity.

Just thought I'd post the Stiftelsen for byens fornyelse-proposal for reference. They want to replicate Kvadraturen it seems, they even added the brutalist boxes that don't fit in line with the neighbouring buildings (closest to Aker Brygge/Tjuvholmen)!

Full size

I share their appreciation of the street-structure with buildings lining the sidewalks, but I don't think this proposal would bring the result they hope for. Grønlandshagen comes to mind: well functioning urbanity-wise, but not very aesthetic. I realize that the urban functioning is very much a result of the activities taking place in the area of course. I also don't think it makes any sense"rebuilding" in a traditional fashion in a location where there has never been anything like it.

I like the way Huitfeldts gate is continued in the developer's proposal though, makes it connect very well with the existing borough
gorod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9071

If Stiftelsen for byens fornyelse want to rebuild something, they should focus on gamlebyen and some lost quarters inside the city imho. As far as I know Filipstad have never had any extensive city developments and I think the project should reflect that. I only hope they decide to keep it more in vogue with Tjuvholmen than Sørenga.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #5
joamox

Likes (Received): 469

I agree very much with you here, If Stiftelsen sought to rebuild the numerous lost facades in Kvadraturen, Grensen and Linstow's by, where this is appropriate, then I would be all for them. Instead, they waste their time opposing anything that is tall and whine against pretty much everything that gets built including Tjuvholmen.

As I have understood, Stiftelsen is not against modern architecture per say although I have yet to see an example of modern architecture that they liked. Their proposal, though it is pre-modern in plan, does not need to have pre-modern facades, although the drawing they have presented hints that this is their preference. If the the proposal is for modern facades and a kvartal structure, then this is interestingly quite similar to what Yimby would argue for, or am I wrong?

My book on historic Oslo is available in Norwegian bookshops and online, click here.

Mexichino blog, featuring information on architecture in London, Paris, Rome, Scandinavia and a whole bunch of other places
Now-and-then photo collection on Mexichino Flickr
joamox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #6
Mulefisk

Likes (Received): 91

Yep, pretty much. Yimby is a bit more open to new impulses than Byen Fornyelse though. Pre-modern street grids are a good style to use because we know its works for creating nice urban areas. However that doesn't mean there aren't new solutions that have been built recently/don't exist yet that might be just as good.
Mulefisk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 574

They did a top 10 list of modern buildings in Oslo a while ago, i remember atleast there was the Torp harbour-warehouse, eastern building of Glassmagasinet, building at Christiania Torg and Flytogterminalen.

Colour-line has been working towards building a high-rise hotel at the ferry-terminal, naturally they wouldn't develop this themselves - i think this is where Burchardt comes in. Altough i would prefere his wild 200m vision rather than the stumpy highrise we see in the sketch above. The terminal could be developped now but it will maybe have to wait for the eternal waste of time by PBE as no one will pay for removing E18 and the railyard. Will this områderegulering be legal this time or will it just be a bs-document like the one for Oslo S? As for the cruise-ships i would love to see the oceanic park-thing resurface along Filipstad and build a new pier for cruiseships from Hjortnes.

Last edited by Ingenioren; December 17th, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #8
muster

Likes (Received): 500

I'm pretty sure the canal was discarded many years ago. I wish they had kept it though. Oslo needs more canals...
muster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
They did a top 10 list of modern buildings in Oslo a while ago, i remember atleast there was the Torp harbour-warehouse, eastern building of Glassmagasinet, building at Christiania Torg and Flytogterminalen.
You are talking about Stiftelsen for byens fornyelse, right? They also did a similiar list of all the new buildings they hated where they said hole in the PWC-building lacked "motivation". What a daft thing to say. We would only ended up with square boxes if every form of every building should have "motivation" behind them.

Stiftelsen, like riksantivkvaren, allways choose the wrong battles. I would have repsected them more if they had worked to preserve old buildings and tried to rebuild some of the buildings and spires we'd lost. But Stiftelsen only tries hide everything modern and exciting.
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #10
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Thanks for all clear ups, André! I know I've included more stuff than I should.
I would think that Rom eiendom would be eager to pay for roof on the tracks, if they know it will pay off at a later time, but I'm more uncertain on who's gonna pay for the new terminal. Oslo Havn isn't excactly known to pay up for anything at all, really.

I know the canal is out of the question. It isn't even in PBe's own plans anymore.

I do have hopes that the document will lead to a regulation plan, though. Rom lists this project high up among their projects, and the interests are strong to get this area devloped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
building at Christiania Torg
That's the one where there is some travel agency for America trips, right? It's absolutly terrible! The worst building in Kvadraturen, along with Norges bank!

Old December 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #11
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by joamox View Post
Their proposal, though it is pre-modern in plan, does not need to have pre-modern facades, although the drawing they have presented hints that this is their preference. If the the proposal is for modern facades and a kvartal structure, then this is interestingly quite similar to what Yimby would argue for, or am I wrong?
I'm quite conservative when it comes to how you should lay out a city. I have nothing against exiting and new designs, but I think they should be kept inside a conservative master plan. I would have been very positive to it if they had remodeled their suggestion with modern, high quality buildings in in different heights. But I don't think they will ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
That's the one where there is some travel agency for America trips, right? It's absolutly terrible! The worst building in Kvadraturen
It's drawn by Torstein Ramberg (the same guy who also did the government building R5 alongside Akersgata) and I think he even won a prize for it. It's not exciting by any means, but I have hard time seeing how you can hate it - It's just is there without making any further statment about itself.

The building in question:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ata_2_Oslo.jpg
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2253

Space Group won the 2005-2006 masterplan competition for Filipstad.

A Site on the Edge, Connected to the World
By definition, the post-industrial site is isolated from the urban fabric, scale and natural flow of the adjacent city. At the same time it offers
ideal connections to all types of infrastructure - and to the larger context, the world. It is this condition that provides the biggest challenge
and offers the greatest opportunity.

The implementation of a new, dynamic, urban structure and program requires a careful suture back into its surrounding context. We propose
a conceptual restitching of the waterfront deep into the existing public life and nodes of the city through the creation of an urban neighborhood
with its own strong identity and character.

Diverse programming, careful phasing, and strategic priorities sensitive to uncertainties and change; fixed and variable conditions; complementary
rather than competitive in its contribution to the city.

This dual condition of isolation and hyper-connectivity offers a new freedom in its relationship to the city. Found within the history of Filipstad,
is a uniqueness of structure, scale, typology, morphology, program, and relationship to the natural/ artificial landscape combined with a super
rational logic of land use, infrastructure, and internal organization.
The apparent invisibility of the site has allowed this uniqueness to exist and evolve with its own raw beauty and strong character, thus avoiding
the stylistic judgment controlling the rest of the city.

There is no original 'urban fabric' or even original 'site'. The activities, program, and conditions found at Filipstad are truly exceptional. The
territoralization of Filipstad depends upon visionary solutions to the infrastructural obstacles that compose the site. Filipstadís inherited freedoms
offer a rare opportunity to reinterpret and create a new, strong, fresh identity.

"Urbanism is all too often content in adapting to existing milieu rather than generating change..." Michael Speaks

New urban frontier:
The new Filipstad will become the frontier of the city; the only real experience of surface arrival into the centre of Oslo; leaving suburbia behind. To
achieve the status as an independent neighborhood and sub centre of Oslo, a strong distinction from suburban sleepiness must be a consistent
focus. New housing developments in central Oslo have the increasing tendency of contributing to the suburbanization and privatization of the
city. Named '-park' or '-garden', these areas are defined by characteristics most often found in gated communities such as; mono programming,
control, the perception of security, and predictability - none of which resemble qualities of the urban. The exclusive character of this market is mainly
available to the white upper middle class at the age of retirement, returning from suburbia and bringing their suburban values with them. Proximity to
coffee bars and cultural institutions are not enough to create a dynamic urban condition. A 'total design' leaving nothing untouched, unknown, or open
for interpretation - is also a static solution. The city needs diversity and space to evolve.

Equally alarming is the evacuation of big and unique programs from the inner city; expos, universities, stadiums, sports facilities, terminals and even
headquarters are, by current market conditions and a preference for easy car access, being driven out of the city.

At Filipstad, we have an opportunity to bring diversity back.

Filipstad provides the location, critical mass, momentum and opportunity to make a change. Demographic diversity, programmatic density, multicultural
openness, and space for future interpretation and new uses will be secured. A focus on public territory, accessibility, inclusive free facilities, and
typological diversity for live and work is the core of our strategy.

24 hour activity is supported by mixed programming, integration of school, kindergarten, market, super gym, hotel, park, beach, skating rink and other
leisure activities. A place where tourists, kids, businessmen, kiters, ferryboat travelers, the rich, beach bums, middle class families, senior citizens,
immigrants and students will have a reason and desire to be.

Stategies:
1. PARK PROBE:
S park - from Solli plass to beach - surfing infrastructure.
A physical manifestation of friction and flows. A speculative public space where uses are mutable and open - a place for meetings and exchange. The
park, in its various reactive formulations, provides short cuts, area orientation, and maximum interface with new urban structure while organizing Filipstad
into a series of sub sites that are characterized by solar, topographical, typological, geographical, and programmatic conditions. By organizing the site
into sub sites, the park defines specific areas and becomes the connective tissue that unites the global and local scales.

2. COMPACT INFRASTRUCTURE TERMINAL:
The terminal reorganizes the current infrastructural sprawl. The new terminal can be developed while the existing terminal is still in operation and is equipped
for a parallel ferryboat scheme that liberates the southwest corner of the site for the development of housing and high quality public space.

3. COMPACT INFRASTRUCTURE HIGHWAY
The stacked highway and boulevard minimizes site impact and structural efforts while 'ecologizing' infrastructure. As a result, new opportunities for parking
and housing typologies arise out of this topographical shift.

4. INVISIBILITY :
'The new Filipstad will have a strong presence in terms of form and content, yet will remain discrete in massing. The nature of this 'hidden' industrial site is
reinterpreted through the 'invisible' envelope that exploits the blind spots and view lines into, through, over, and out of site.

5. TOPOGRAPHIC IDENTITIES:
The freedom provided by the artificiality of the existing site creates an opportunity for a reinterpretation of the landscape. The Norwegian terrain exploits
unique site potentials and gives new identities and difference to the neighborhoods. We inhabit the landscape through new ways of living and integrate
infrastructure into this topography, blurring the relationship between object and field.

6. BIG PROGRAMS:
Strategically located 'Urban mediators' charge the new public territory - Ensuring the necessary critical mass and mixed use for frictions and difference
while avoiding the suburban 'silence' found in many recent developments.

[IMG]http://i56.************/2vw8huw.jpg[/IMG]
Illustration by MIR

[IMG]http://i51.************/2j64i7d.jpg[/IMG]
Illustration by MIR

[IMG]http://i54.************/c2esx.jpg[/IMG]
Illustration by MIR

[IMG]http://i55.************/2enpxjl.jpg[/IMG]
Illustration by MIR

Much interesting to read and see about the masterplan on Space Group's website.
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #13
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

And as Icecheese said, why not buy Asymptote Architecture and Artech Architects's second prize winner for the Kaohsiung Port Terminal? (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...392487&page=48)

Btw, why not rename the fjordcity threads (Tjuvholmen, Filipstad, Sørenga, Sjursøya)?
OSLO FJORDCITY | Filipstad
OSLO FJORDCITY | Tjuvholmen
OSLO FJORDCITY | Sørenga
OSLO FJORDCITY | Sjursøya

Last edited by Þróndeimr; December 18th, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #14
muster

Likes (Received): 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þróndeimr View Post

Btw, why not rename the fjordcity threads (Tjuvholmen, Filipstad, Sørenga, Sjursøya)?
OSLO FJORDCITY | Filipstad
OSLO FJORDCITY | Tjuvholmen
OSLO FJORDCITY | Sørenga
OSLO FJORDCITY | Sjursøya
Good idea! You fix?
muster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM   #15
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

fixed!
Old December 24th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #16
marshol
Landsc. Architect

Likes (Received): 1246

Nice job, and very organized!
marshol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #17
Osloborger

Likes (Received): 8

What about the big fjordcity thread? Could it be renamed Oslo Fjordcity | Bjørvika? I know it has covered a larger area, but tightening the topic will not hurt anyone IMO.
Osloborger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #18
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

But what about updates from all other fjordcity projects, then? I'm not sure we're ready for own threads for Kongshavn, Loenga, Vippetangen etc. yet...

Old February 11th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #19
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

According to HAV eiendom, they will be sending in an application for regulating Hans Jægers kvartal in Filipstad later this spring (don't get fooled by the name. The plan includes 6-7 quarters). It's apparent that they want to get this area approved for development outside of the Filipstad area program that is currently in the making.

Hans Jægers kvartal covers the area to the right (east) of the extended Huitfelts gate (the dark street) in this overall render, closest to Aker brygge/Tjuvholmen:

LPO won the competition for the quarters back in 2006, and this is cut out from their summary. As you see, this is the same proposal as is being used in the overall renders:

Total area for city development is 80-90.000 sqm, and planed heights is up to 10 floors.

The source of HAV's "leak" is this document: http://web102881.pbe.oslo.kommune.no...fileid=2996166

Old February 11th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #20
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 574

Sure, the big questions to answer is about Ring1/E18 and the railyard. Hj. kvartal shouldn't have to wait for this since it doesn't affect it directly. Sadly i don't think pbe would agree....