daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:13 PM   #21
Humberto123
Humberto123

Location: Caracas / Boston / Santiago de Chile / Sao Paulo / Lima
Likes (Received): 8

The New York Times reported this past week that there is very low ridership and that a significant culture change will need to take place in the habits of a city still dominated by the private car.

However, it looks very nice and clean cut.

A Hesitant Puerto Rico Tries Commuting by Train

By ARIANA GREEN
Published: November 19, 2005

SAN JUAN, P.R. - Carlos Medina rides the subway only when he visits New York. Here, where he lives, he spends untold hours in his car.

Mr. Medina does become frustrated by the traffic jams, potholes and recklessness he encounters daily on Puerto Rican roads. But a gleaming new alternative - a commuter train that started running last December after years of planning and expense - has yet to win over him or, for that matter, most other commuters.

They built it, but not everybody came. Puerto Rico is a car-loving place, and the Tren Urbano has had trouble attracting a large ridership.
"I'm not going to use the train until it actually takes me to all the places I want to go," the 34-year-old Mr. Medina said while shopping at Plaza las Américas, the island's major mall, which, though always packed, does not have a train station.

For now, Puerto Rico's Tren Urbano, or urban train, consists of a single, 10.7-mile line with 16 stations through parts of San Juan and its suburbs. There are plans to build three more lines within a decade, possibly starting in the next two years. But in a metropolitan area of 1.1 million people, the train is selling only about 24,000 rides a day, a figure that has transportation officials worried about achieving their goal of 80,000 riders daily by June and 115,000 by 2015.

Puerto Rico is, after all, a car-loving place: there are an estimated three million cars on this island of four million people. The island has one of the highest rates of car ownership in the world and the greatest density of cars per mile of metropolitan-area highway, says Benjamin Colucci, an engineering professor at the University of Puerto Rico who is a consultant on the project. A drive that takes 10 minutes in San Juan at night can take 90 during the day, when cars weave and honk through congested streets.

The urban train took longer than expected to build and has cost $2.25 billion in federal and local spending so far. Building the three additional lines, in the cities of Caguas and Carolina and in the historic Old San Juan section here, will cost an estimated $1.7 billion. The price of yearly maintenance, now $100 million, is expected to be $180 million after expansion.

Consultants from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Puerto Rico helped design the heavy rail train, which has the potential for greater capacity than light rail systems like those in Baltimore and Denver. The elegant stations were planned in consultation with the surrounding neighborhoods, partly to encourage residents to become riders.

Each station - modern, spacious and squeaky clean - has a public art project: perhaps a hanging sculpture made of steel cables, a ceiling mosaic of a tropical forest or a mural depicting stars and planets.

Gabriel Alcaraz, Puerto Rico's new transportation secretary, says the stations, which cost $15 million to $83 million, are too grandiose. Mr. Alcaraz and Gov. Aníbal Acevedo-Vilá, who took office in January and is facing a budget crisis, want future stations to be smaller, identical and cheaper.

But Carlos Pesquera, who was transportation secretary when he oversaw construction starting in 1993, said the stations needed to be large to accommodate six-car trains. And many people, even those who do not ride the train, admire the stylish stations.

"I like that the stations now are fancy," said Lydia Marco, 18, a waitress and student who said she wished the train route extended to Old San Juan, where she works. "I would like to see more beautiful stuff like that built here. It's something new for Puerto Rico that makes us proud of our cities."

Puerto Rico has never before had much of a public transportation system; its buses are known for being late and not serving enough locations. But the urban train is now being scrutinized as a model, especially in the Caribbean and South America, said Professor Colucci, who has given seminars about it in the Dominican Republic, Panama and Venezuela.

Still, officials here say Puerto Ricans themselves need to get used to the train, and that will apparently take some doing.

For one thing, the owners of públicos - private vans and cars that transport commuters for a fare - see the train as competition instead of a partner to work in tandem with, Professor Colucci said.

"We need públicos always arriving at a certain time to meet people when they get off the train," he said. "If no público is there, then the person doesn't have a link to get to a final destination."

The Metropolitan Bus Authority, which could encourage train ridership by picking up passengers where rail routes end, is also competing with the train at present, Professor Colucci said, although the length of bus line overlapping with train route is to disappear eventually.

Fred Salvucci, a former transportation secretary in Massachusetts who is a consultant to Puerto Rico through M.I.T., said more incentives were needed to increase train ridership. The fare, $1.50, is six times that for the bus - too high for Puerto Rico, he said, where the average annual income is $12,031.

But a few government agencies are buying train passes for their workers, and at least one private employer, HF Mortgage Bankers in San Juan, is doing the same.

Further, the transportation department recently introduced new price packages: an unlimited three-month pass for $90 and a one-month for $45. The offer is being advertised in newspapers and on the radio, and a $1.5 million campaign is planned for billboards and television.

Mr. Alcaraz, the transportation secretary, said it was only a matter of time before Puerto Ricans not only rode the train en masse but also planned their lives around it.

"In parts of the world where trains have existed for a long time, people have chosen where to live and work based on the transportation available," he said. "People in Puerto Rico will learn to do the same."

Last edited by Humberto123; November 22nd, 2005 at 09:20 PM.
Humberto123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:43 PM   #22
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Looks good, too bad the ridership is low.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #23
mankawabi

Likes (Received): 3

Here are some more photos. I'll revive this thread!

mankawabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #24
mankawabi

Now, these next pics are all mine.

Torrimar Station

Martínez Nadal Station

Cupey Station

Universidad Station

Hato Rey Station and its surroundings

Piñero Station and its surroundings

There'll be more pictures later. Until next time!

Last edited by mankawabi; April 22nd, 2006 at 03:38 AM.
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:47 AM   #25
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

Definitly looks nice. Has the ridership gone up since November? 24,000 is low if they wanted 80,000, but at the same time, its higher than many other american systems.
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:52 AM   #26
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

I like it. More photos at http://flickr.com/groups/trenurbano/pool/

Info On station art: http://www.artepublico.puertorico.pr...bano/index.htm

map from http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...bano_Route.jpg

Last edited by Jayayess1190; April 15th, 2006 at 03:01 AM.
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #27
mankawabi

@ jamesinclair : I don't know but I'll post that info as soon as I find out.

@ Jayayess1190 : Thanks for the links and the map.
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #28
mankawabi

A great Tren Urbano page! Great source for information on the future urban rail lines in the San Juan Metro Area: http://www.joelvillarini.com/trenurbano/. Its creator is forumer jvillari.
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #29
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3666

Oh thanks! Good web site!!

I met Joel in Barcelona, he is a friend of mine.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #30
mankawabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by asohn
wow. I never knew Puerto Rico had something like this.

Who paid for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
The US obviously paid for it. But why not? It also pays for highways to be built in poor parts of the mainland.
It didn't pay for ALL of it. Besides, after drafting Puerto Ricans off to serve proudly (and die) in three wars and as voluntaries in countless others, and NOT giving them any political representation, it's the least the US could do.
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:36 PM   #31
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10385

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankawabi
It didn't pay for ALL of it. Besides, after drafting Puerto Ricans off to serve proudly (and die) in three wars and as voluntaries in countless others, and NOT giving them any political representation, it's the least the US could do.
True, but at least you don't have to pay income tax.

Nice Pics, by the way.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:47 PM   #32
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

^They don't pay income tax?

Didn't the PRicans choose not to join as a state though?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:06 AM   #33
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10385

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
^They don't pay income tax?

Didn't the PRicans choose not to join as a state though?
They don't pay federal income tax, I don't know about local taxes...

Yes, they voted to remain as a Commonwealth.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:31 AM   #34
mankawabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten777
They don't pay federal income tax, I don't know about local taxes...

Yes, they voted to remain as a Commonwealth.
Local taxes in Puerto Rico are higher than in all of the states, and yes, there is a local income tax. That's because the local government has grown so much since the 1970's, having now more than 120 agencies and over 300,000 employees. It really sucks. Federal employees in Puerto Rico do pay federal income taxes, however.

Puerto Rico would have to really streamline its government in order to become either a state or an independent county, a change we definitely need. Becoming a state would give us say in U.S. national affairs, while becoming independent would give us complete control over our own affairs. Both choices are good in their own way. But first we need to make government smaller and drastically cut taxes (keeping money for important things like expanding the Tren Urbano ).
Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM   #35
mankawabi

My Weekly Tren Urbano Gallery (I):

Torrimar in the morning

We arrive at our destination, the University!!!

We're finally out! Now, let's head back home...

The arrival at Torrimar (video):

Old July 7th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #36
crica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO URBAN TRANSPORTATION

\

\\\

will cont...
crica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #37
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN

Nice new system!
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #38
mankawabi

We already have a thread about this: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=208335

"Crica" is just the newest incarnation of a very troublesome troll we have in the Caribbean forum
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #39
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Nice new system!
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #40
TopperCity

Likes (Received): 2

looks pretty casual..
TopperCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
caribbean, metro, puerto rico, san juan