daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #1
richhill

Likes (Received): 0

Phoenix Metro Light Rail Construction

I'm a new member to the forum and I couldn't find any updates or photos of the Phoenix Metro Light Rail project - scheduled to open at the end of next year.

Here is the official link:
http://www.valleymetro.org/METRO_light_rail/

I will be taking shots of the entire 20 mile line over the next week.

These first shots were taken at the East end of the line in Mesa..

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
richhill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #2
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Nice tram! Any pics of the future vehicles?
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #3
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Funny, that these new systems of in-street-running trams get labelled metros nowadays....even more so considering their halts are termed stations....
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
RawLee

Let them label it the way they want...it wont provide a service as stable as a real metro(for obvious reasons),and that is what matters. And of course the fact they build it.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #5
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Yeah, well it must be the continent's way of digressing from their stalled languages that hail from the early 1500s....
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Let them label it the way they want...it wont provide a service as stable as a real metro(for obvious reasons),and that is what matters. And of course the fact they build it.
I think "Metro" in this instance (and in most through the US) is short for Metropolitan - as in municipal, not "subway" as in French. The M in American MTA's (NY, LA, Washington, etc.) stand for Metropolitan Transportation/Transit Authority, meaning they are arm's length authorities/agencies of their respective cities.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Nice tram! Any pics of the future vehicles?
The vehicles will be the same as the ones Seattle is getting, they are built by Kinkisharyo-Mitsui, and are 90 feet long. I don't know if the Pheonix one will be able to handle 2 car trains, but Seattle's can hold 4. There was another thread a few months back with pics of the vehicle, though.
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #8
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

There is some information about the vehicles on Kinkisharyo's website:

http://www.kinkisharyo-usa.com/vmr_phoenix.html

Vehicle Design 70% Low-Floor
Seated Capacity 66
Peak Commuter Capacity 212
Speed 55mph
Carbody LAHT Steel
Number of Vehicles 50

There is a lot of information on the system at Valley Metro's website:

http://www.valleymetro.org/METRO_light_rail/Default.asp

Light Rail Operations Begin in December 2008

Peak period frequency: 10 minutes
Off-peak midday frequency: 20 to 30 minutes
Operating hours: 18-20 hours/day
Opening day ridership: 26,000
2020 ridership: 50,000
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

Those Frequencies are terrible! How do they expect to get 26,000 riders per day like that???
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #10
richhill

Downtown pix

Some more pix from Phoenix Light Rail construction. This section is downtown Phoenix between 3rd Street and Van Buren. In this section, the rails run about a block apart - so the E/S bound stations are separate from the W/N stations.

Apart from installation of the catenary wires, everything is finished and waiting for the opening of the system in 14 months.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
richhill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #11
RawLee

I wish we would build tramlines like that...
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #12
taiwanesedrummer36

Thanks for the updates, and welcome!

I absolutely love the new Phoenix light rail system. It's cheap, it's a surface line, it's easy to build, and the stations are simple but architecturally interesting. I wish Seattle's light rail system had all that. I might even go to Phoenix when the line opens (it's next year, right?).
taiwanesedrummer36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #13
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Wow, it looks really good. Yes the frequencies are bad but atleast it's getting built.

It wouldn't hurt for New York to have a trolley/light rail nowadays.
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #14
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7266

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
Wow, it looks really good. Yes the frequencies are bad but atleast it's getting built.

It wouldn't hurt for New York to have a trolley/light rail nowadays.
New York City does NOT need a light rail. First of all, where would you put it? Also, would it be useful, considering that the New York City Subway average 5m riders a day and covers almost all of the city except for Staten Island, and the HBLR will eventually be extended there.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #15
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18133

I recently posted an update in the West Coast section :
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=199

Studies looking at extensions for light rail
23 October 2007

PHOENIX (AP) - As construction on the first phase of the light rail project nears an end, engineers are already looking at the future.

Metro light rail has announced that three public meetings are planned beginning Tuesday. The sessions are intended to look at the feasibility of extending light rail down I-10, the routes and extensions that should be studied for possible extension into central Mesa and the design of a possible northwest Phoenix extension.

The yearlong study could identify other new transit corridors throughout Maricopa County.

One extension likely to have the biggest effect on commuters would bring some form of mass transit on the westside running down I-10 for 11 miles inside a 50-foot median that planners reserved when they built the freeway.

The trains could travel up to 55 mph between stations spaced two miles apart, engineers said.

Today, about 250,000 automobiles travel the corridor.

By 2030, engineers believe that number could reach 550,000.

"We see a significant advantage, from a commuter point of view, to having a transit investment in this corridor," said Wulf Grote, director of project development for Metro.

Metro will hold meetings Tuesday and Thursday to get public input on the I-10 proposal.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #16
jam5

Likes (Received): 534

How close is the nearest stop to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport? And why isn't there a direct connection to the terminal?
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #17
taiwanesedrummer36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam5 View Post
How close is the nearest stop to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport? And why isn't there a direct connection to the terminal?
The closest station to the Phoenix Sky Harbor Int. Airport is the 44th Street/Washington Station, which will connect to the terminals via some sort of people-mover system.

I'm not sure why they didn't build a direct connection to the airport. Maybe it would have been too costly to build an elevated route that leaves and returns to the main Washington Street route. And maybe it was meant to promote some sort of redevelopment along Washington Street. There are 8 stations along the Washington Street surface route.
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #18
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
New York City does NOT need a light rail. First of all, where would you put it? Also, would it be useful, considering that the New York City Subway average 5m riders a day and covers almost all of the city except for Staten Island, and the HBLR will eventually be extended there.
I'd use it to connect Brooklyn and Queens. Considering how costly it would be to build a subway nowadays, not to mention the years it would take, a light rail wouldn't hurt. Enough about that. THis is, in the end, about PHOENIX.

I'm curious to know what would be the form of pay. I've noticed the stations don't really seem to be designed to have any turn stiles or w/e. I'm guessing people will pay upon boarding the train?...
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #19
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

It's great that Phoneix is building the LRT but those frequencies are just horrid. How is it going to be rapid transit if you have to wait that long for a train?

Also.............26,000 passengers a day? That is dreadful. Calgary a city of one million CTrain LRT is 40km long but carries a whopping 240,000 a day.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #20
taiwanesedrummer36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
It's great that Phoneix is building the LRT but those frequencies are just horrid. How is it going to be rapid transit if you have to wait that long for a train?

Also.............26,000 passengers a day? That is dreadful. Calgary a city of one million CTrain LRT is 40km long but carries a whopping 240,000 a day.
With the proposed extensions, i'm sure that number will increase. If I remember Phoenix correctly, the route travels either along mostly commercial and industrial areas, along with major destinations, but very few residential areas (that is, "bustling" residential areas).

Tags
light rail, phoenix