daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #141
ramakrishna1984

Likes (Received): 788

Yes, the three-mile extension is expected to carry 5,000 daily riders and will have four stations and a park-and-ride.

dimlys1994, zaphod liked this post
ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #142
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #143
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

Back to the subject of my dream light rail system, there would need to be places where the cars for each line would be. So, here is how I would do it:
  • The existing yard in Phoenix would be expanded for more cars. Lines based in Phoenix would be the Red, Blue, Silver, and Gold Lines.
  • Tempe plans on building its own yard for the Tempe Streetcar (Green Line in my system ). In my system the Tempe yard would be expanded for light rail. Lines based in Tempe would include the Green, Orange, Pink, Brown, and Purple Lines. While it may make more geographic sense to base the Orange Line in Phoenix, the Orange Line interlines with the Brown Line at Chandler Fashion Center and thus uses the same cars for both lines, thus basing it in Tempe along with the Brown Line would keep a more even distribution of lines between the two yards.
Pink Jazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #144
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I had to ride and experience this cool Sky Harbor SkyTrain in person on a recent trip to Phoenix.

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #145
Pink Jazz

Also, expanding on my idea of a dream light rail system, there would also be a community circulator bus that would serve Queen Creek, southeast Gilbert, and east Mesa which would serve as a feeder to the Pink Line. There was a transit survey in 2013 to Queen Creek residents on which transit mode would they prefer, and one of the most popular choices was a community circulator.

My idea of a community circulator to feed into the Pink Line would serve ASU Polytechnic, Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, the Queen Creek Marketplace, the neighborhoods of Seville and Freeman Farms, SanTan Village, and Cooley Station via Sossaman, Rittenhouse, Ellsworth, Chandler Heights, Greenfield, Market, and Williams Field back to ASU Poly.

What does anyone think about this idea for a currently unserved portion of the Valley?
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #146
Pink Jazz

I have shared my dream light rail idea with a friend that has been visiting us, and he liked my idea.

However, one thing that he was a bit skeptical of was interlining some lines at their endpoints. In my dream system, there would be two pairs of lines that would be interlined, the Orange and the Brown Lines at Chandler Fashion Center, and as well as the Pink and Purple Lines at Superstition Springs Center.

My rationale for interlining these lines is to increase operational efficiency and make better use of pay hours for light rail operators. Several Phoenix area bus routes do this already during certain times of the day. However, my friend says that interlining lines would cause potential confusion with riders when they board, thinking that they boarded one line when they actually boarded another.

I think potential mis-boarding could be alleviated if the destination signs are changed prior to arriving at the last stop. Multicolor LED destination signs can be used to help riders know what color line they are boarding, displaying the text in the color of the line.

What does anyone here think about interlining light rail lines?

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old August 22nd, 2015, 06:13 PM   #147
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26112

From KTAR:

Quote:
http://ktar.com/2015/08/21/valley-me...-months-early/

Valley Metro Rail extension opens in Mesa, Ariz. several months early
Aug 20, 2015 - 5:51 pm

PHOENIX — The Valley Metro Rail is moving on up — literally.

The intercity light rail system has officially been instated in Mesa, Arizona and will begin operating for the public on Saturday. It has been the first extension since the Valley Metro Rail was completed in 2008.

“It’s not often that you hear of a government building project that comes in under budget and under time, but that’s the case for the light rail in Mesa,” said Mesa Mayor John Giles

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 06:13 PM   #148
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26112

Updated map on urbanrail.net:

geometarkv, Nexis, jonasry, Swede, phoenixboi08 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 11:58 PM   #149
Pink Jazz

One thing if my dream light rail system were to become a reality, I know that some people prefer referring to lines by letters or numbers instead of colors. For those who prefer such convention, the lines could still use my particular color assignments on maps, but if I were to give each line a letter, this would be my convention:
  • Red Line - "M" for Mesa/Main/Metrocenter
  • Blue Line - "W" for Westgate
  • Green Line - "T" for Tempe
  • Silver Line - "P" for Phoenix/Paradise Valley Mall
  • Orange Line - "G" for Glendale
  • Pink Line - "C" for Chandler
  • Brown Line - "S" for Scottsdale
  • Purple Line - "B" for Baseline
  • Gold Line - "D" for Dobson/Downtown Phoenix
Old August 23rd, 2015, 06:17 AM   #150
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

Food for Phoenix for bringing the line in before time and on budget. When it does that it makes people more receptive to further dollars going towards more expansion.

When will the extension to Dunlop Ave open?

On a critical note, why do they run the LRT so infrequently? Every 12 minutes during the day is not rapid transit. That's not even very food frequency for a decent bus route. A true rapid transit system should be one where timetables aren't needed and missing a trains means just a few minute wait till the next one. There is no way they should be less than every 6 minutes during the day and evening.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:10 PM   #151
Pink Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Food for Phoenix for bringing the line in before time and on budget. When it does that it makes people more receptive to further dollars going towards more expansion.

When will the extension to Dunlop Ave open?

On a critical note, why do they run the LRT so infrequently? Every 12 minutes during the day is not rapid transit. That's not even very food frequency for a decent bus route. A true rapid transit system should be one where timetables aren't needed and missing a trains means just a few minute wait till the next one. There is no way they should be less than every 6 minutes during the day and evening.
In my dream system, on the portion where the Red and Blue Lines overlap, they would run in alternating 5 minute schedules and every 10 minutes individually on the non-overlapping portions. The Silver Line would run every 7 minutes, the Orange, Brown, Pink, and Purple Lines would run every 10 minutes, and the Gold Line would run every 11 minutes.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; August 23rd, 2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old August 25th, 2015, 07:09 AM   #152
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

But the riders shouldn't have to wait that long to get decent service.

Americans cities often make the mistake of spending huge sums on new transit lines but then devote little to operations negating the word rapid out of rapid transit. All during the day I don't think any true rapid transit system should run less frequently than every 5 to 6 minutes and at least twice that during rush hours.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #153
Pink Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
But the riders shouldn't have to wait that long to get decent service.

Americans cities often make the mistake of spending huge sums on new transit lines but then devote little to operations negating the word rapid out of rapid transit. All during the day I don't think any true rapid transit system should run less frequently than every 5 to 6 minutes and at least twice that during rush hours.
Of course, making the lines too frequent on corridors with overlapping lines could lead to potential train bunching and slower service. Phoenix isn't NYC where we need that kind of frequency you desire. I think in the Red/Blue overlap in my system an alternating 5 minute schedule is plenty, since you can for example take either line to go from Downtown Mesa to Downtown Phoenix. The other lines would serve less dense areas (Pink and Gold in particular), so they don't need to be as frequent.
Old August 25th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #154
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Is there any chance of extending the system to Scottsdale (East) or Sun City (Northwest)?
Old August 25th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #155
Pink Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is there any chance of extending the system to Scottsdale (East) or Sun City (Northwest)?
Unfortunately, Scottsdale does not want light rail to keep the undesirables out. However, in my dream system, Scottsdale would be served by the Brown Line going via Scottsdale/Rural Road from Frank Lloyd Wright to Chandler Fashion Center.

As for Sun City, not sure. My dream system doesn't include Sun City, however, when I shared my idea with the City of Phoenix website Talk Transportation, someone suggested starting the Orange Line further west in Surprise, rather than my suggested western terminus at Arrowhead Towne Center.
Old August 28th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #156
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 90

Great news Phoenix

Phoenix voters pass Prop. 104 transit tax

Phoenix voters approved a major boost in transportation funding for new light rail lines, bus expansion and street improvements over the next several decades in Tuesday's election.

Unofficial returns for Proposition 104 show 55 percent of voters supporting the initiative with 45 percent voting against it.

The city’s 0.4 percent sales tax for transit will increase to 0.7 percent for transportation, beginning Jan. 1 and lasting 35 years. The sales tax is the foundation of a $31.5 billion plan that will be funded by a variety of sources including federal grants and fares.

More at: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...p104/32283455/

dimlys1994, Manitopiaaa liked this post
bighomey3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #157
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 90

Hopefully these timeframes can be accelerated now...

dimlys1994 liked this post
bighomey3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #158
Pink Jazz

I wonder how will Valley Metro differentiate its light rail lines. Would they use colors, letters, numbers, or something else?

If colors are chosen, IMO the existing route should be the Red Line, since red is the first color that most transit agencies use. Since the line serves Melrose (an up and coming gay community), I hope they don't call it the Pink Line, since that would be promoting gay stereotypes and could potentially be offensive to some gays. The Pink Line designation IMO is best reserved for a line that would serve Ahwatukee/Chandler/Gilbert/East Mesa via Chandler Blvd/Williams Field Road/Power Road. Since that area is mostly politically conservative (although a bit more moderate near the west end), there is probably a lower than average gay population along those corridors. The Chandler/Williams Field corridor has been identified as a potential high capacity transit corridor in the past, and I think combining it with the Power corridor would make a line that would be popular with mall shoppers due to connecting three major malls (Chandler Fashion Center, SanTan Village, and Superstition Springs Center).

If letters are chosen, I think it should be known as the "M" Line, but should still be shown as red on maps. I chose "M" because it would stand for four different destinations or streets along the line: Metrocenter, Melrose, Mesa, and Main.
Old September 4th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #159
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5731

Newly opened Country Club Station in Mesa, AZ

https://www.facebook.com/valleymetro...type=1&theater

jonasry, dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #160
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Why is there no seating under the shaded area?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
light rail, phoenix