daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Is there Islamic Architecture
Yes 137 74.05%
No 36 19.46%
I don't know! 12 6.49%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #161
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

that we call ISLAMIC ARCHITECTURE
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #162
Turknology
Felis Necropolitan
 
Turknology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ankaran Sarcophagus
Posts: 22,437
Likes (Received): 22003

Just because a certain form of architecture exists in a country that happens to be populated by Muslims, why suddenly do some people want to call it Islamic architecture.

There is Byzantine architecture (which is the basis of design for most major Ottoman mosques), Gothic architecture, Baroque Architecture, classical/neo-classical, etc, etc Architecture in Europe and many churches built in one style or the other but no one lumps them all together and calls them Christian architecture.

So why the need to say Islamic architecture instead of Persian, Seljuck, Ottoman, Mamluk, etc?

The Ortaköy Mosque built in the neo-baroque style:



so just because this is a mosque can it no longer be classified as neo-baroque but must be classified as "Islamic architecture"?

So, no, there is no such thing as Islamic architecture.
__________________
If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.
Turknology no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #163
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turknology View Post
Just because a certain form of architecture exists in a country that happens to be populated by Muslims,
india is not major islamic,also thailand and singapore..but they still have islamic style building..also court,office building theater and shopping mall have islamic style..
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #164
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

there also mosque in china architecture,so theres not only building related with islam have this kind of style...there are church like islamic building.they are skyscraper like islamic building,there are mosque like chinese building..its can be anything..so that why its should call islamic architecture,becoz it can be anything ......not just related with religion...
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #165
Turknology
Felis Necropolitan
 
Turknology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ankaran Sarcophagus
Posts: 22,437
Likes (Received): 22003

but why use the term Islamic architecture instead of what specific style it is built in?

again refer to my statement about the neo-baroque style mosque, why not just call it neo-baroque, or neo-baroque ottoman (to be more specific) instead of Islamic?
__________________
If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.
Turknology no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #166
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

firstly
1-because it a mosque(religion)
2-build in order by islamic person Ottoman sultan Abdülmecid
3-build in islamic era(islam culture)
4-Within the mosque hang several examples of Islamic calligraphy(not all neo baroque architecture has calligraphy ..

and its still can be call neo baroque architecture same with moghul persian timurid and bla..bla bla.....islamic architecture is on other categary,its more big aspect
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #167
Turknology
Felis Necropolitan
 
Turknology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ankaran Sarcophagus
Posts: 22,437
Likes (Received): 22003

no one calls the Kölner Dom an example of Christian architecture

care to explain what the difference is?
__________________
If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.
Turknology no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #168
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

i dont know..its not my problem,i ve never learn christianity,im muslim..study in art design-we've learn islamic art-metalwork,architecture,textile,ceramic and everything...maybe because christian people don want to mixed religion and art...
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #169
Turknology
Felis Necropolitan
 
Turknology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ankaran Sarcophagus
Posts: 22,437
Likes (Received): 22003



obviously because they are totally different subjects. religion can influence art architecture etc but that doesn't mean that they should be treated as a sub-genre of that religion.
__________________
If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.
Turknology no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #170
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turknology View Post


obviously because they are totally different subjects. religion can influence art architecture etc but that doesn't mean that they should be treated as a sub-genre of that religion.
islam that we've learn is not just about art in religion..its more to culture,a area and age before islam religion comes..more to secular..like animal gryphin statue,they also have tomb and human figure which probhit is islam religion but it is still in islam world..
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #171
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!
 
swerveut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perth, Karachi
Posts: 3,903
Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
We will appreciate if you also remove your ugly minarets from Hagia Sophia and other pre-Islamic buildings to see the real beauty of these architectural treasures.
Its because Constantinople was CONQUERED by the Muslims. Just like the Grand mosque of Cordoba is now a cathedral! The sooner you accept this, the better it will be for your xenophobia and insecurity.

By the way, more great Islamic Moorish architecture:





swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #172
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!
 
swerveut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perth, Karachi
Posts: 3,903
Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turknology View Post
Just because a certain form of architecture exists in a country that happens to be populated by Muslims, why suddenly do some people want to call it Islamic architecture.

There is Byzantine architecture (which is the basis of design for most major Ottoman mosques), Gothic architecture, Baroque Architecture, classical/neo-classical, etc, etc Architecture in Europe and many churches built in one style or the other but no one lumps them all together and calls them Christian architecture.

So why the need to say Islamic architecture instead of Persian, Seljuck, Ottoman, Mamluk, etc?

The Ortaköy Mosque built in the neo-baroque style:



so just because this is a mosque can it no longer be classified as neo-baroque but must be classified as "Islamic architecture"?

So, no, there is no such thing as Islamic architecture.
I think you are starting the debate all over again. Please read the previous pages in this thread.
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #173
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!
 
swerveut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perth, Karachi
Posts: 3,903
Likes (Received): 357

Moving to Morocco:







image hosted on flickr

Last edited by swerveut; December 25th, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #174
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!
 
swerveut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perth, Karachi
Posts: 3,903
Likes (Received): 357

SEE MANY MANY MORE EXAMPLES IN THIS THREAD



.

Last edited by swerveut; December 25th, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #175
yusef
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 183
Likes (Received): 1

Islamic architecture is my favorite. The pics are amazing!
yusef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #176
Cyrus
Persian King of Kings
 
Cyrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tehran
Posts: 1,600
Likes (Received): 1883

Islamic Bidekhem in Isfahan (for those ignorants):



Non-Islamic Bidekhem Cathedral in Isfahan:

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
__________________
Zarathustra: Good Thoughts, Good Words and Good Deeds

All Empires For History Lovers!
Founder and Administrator
Cyrus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #177
Olive touch
Registered User
 
Olive touch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia/Canada
Posts: 279
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Islamic Bidekhem in Isfahan (for those ignorants)....
You started a very mature civilized thread and unfortunately it is about to end
in a rude way because you are not convinced. You are totally free but
never accused others for being ignorant to prove your point.
__________________
~أهل مكة حمام وأهل المدينة قماري أهل جدة غزلان~
Olive touch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #178
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

go school and learn more cyrus..
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #179
Cyrus
Persian King of Kings
 
Cyrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tehran
Posts: 1,600
Likes (Received): 1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive touch View Post
You started a very mature civilized thread and unfortunately it is about to end
in a rude way because you are not convinced. You are totally free but
never accused others for being ignorant to prove your point.
Ignorant is someone who does not know something, I said "those ignorants" and I refered to those who don't know this church is of Persian architecture, not Islamic architecture. What do you call someone who doesn't know a church can't be an Islamic building?
__________________
Zarathustra: Good Thoughts, Good Words and Good Deeds

All Empires For History Lovers!
Founder and Administrator
Cyrus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #180
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!
 
swerveut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perth, Karachi
Posts: 3,903
Likes (Received): 357

By the way, wasn't this church made by the Safavids who wanted to encourage a minority (Armenian christians?) to move into Esfahan?

And Safavids were the masters of Iranian Islamic architecture. They just regurgitated the same architecture for the church and made some icons / pictures in it so it looks more like a church.

Totally unconvinced. This church is merely following norms established through Islamization of Iranian architecture so that it can fit into the cultural mileu. Not the other way around. Sorry.

By the way why not post pics of Chehel Sotoon (or was it some other palace?) that also shows whole scenes of Safavid court life? That also has pictures of people.

I think you are really confused. Persian architecture got heavily islamized since more than 90% of the Persians converted to Islam. You can notice that Islamization by looking at the florid and repetitive geometric designs. However the same / similar architecture is used for a variety of purposes - be it secular in palaces where more pictures are allowed, or in mosques where it is strictly religious. However, the influence of Islam is indelible.


Last edited by swerveut; December 26th, 2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: changed picture URL
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu