daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam
 
Magnus Brage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jönköping
Posts: 307
Likes (Received): 5

City with most oneway streets ?

As a former taxidriver of Stockholm for 6 years, I drove a lot but still after those years I had trouble finding my way correctly through some of the oneway streets of Venice of the North.








Which City has the highest number of oneway streets ?

Btw I have read about a taxidriver in Paris, he worked over 20 years and still there were neighbourhoods he never had visited.

What about oneway/ deadend streets in Manhattan, Houston, Boston or Ljubliana ? Are there many of them. I have read that the lower Manhattan is a difficult part of town for drivers.
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #2
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,561
Likes (Received): 19353

One-way streets are easily navigable with a consistent grid system.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #3
zebrahead
Registered User
 
zebrahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wrocław - Hamilton
Posts: 116
Likes (Received): 0

like the one in Hamilton Ontario... the one way street system there was/is very efficient at moving traffic but was a major contributor to the degredation of the downtown core.
__________________
the welfare state is the epitome of western society’s flaws - g
zebrahead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Cicerón
Espere verde
 
Cicerón's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En el obscuro jardín del manicomio
Posts: 3,876
Likes (Received): 53

Most of the streets in the Spanish ensanches are one-way.

Barcelona: http://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&ie=...,0.061798&z=15

Madrid: http://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&ie=...,0.061798&z=15
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #5
Attus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rheinbach
Posts: 2,762
Likes (Received): 1038

In Budapest, too, secondary streets are almost all one way.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #6
snowman159
Registered User
 
snowman159's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,469
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
One-way streets are easily navigable with a consistent grid system.
A lot of European cities use one-way streets in combination with complicated and inconsistent street patterns to keep cars out of residential streets and channel traffic on main thoroughfares. It's a sort of urban NIMBYism.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Attus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rheinbach
Posts: 2,762
Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
A lot of European cities use one-way streets in combination with complicated and inconsistent street patterns to keep cars out of residential streets and channel traffic on main thoroughfares. It's a sort of urban NIMBYism.
In Budapest it is not used for confusing foreigners but parking is enabled in all streets both sides so the remaining space is not enough for two cars.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Brage View Post
What about oneway/ deadend streets in Manhattan, Houston, Boston or Ljubliana ? Are there many of them. I have read that the lower Manhattan is a difficult part of town for drivers.
As Chris said, one-way streets are easy with a consistent grid. Which is why they work in most of Manhattan. Since the streets that run east and west are numbered, there's even a mnemonic (a memory trick): "east even, otherwise odd" - meaning even-numbered streets go east, odd-numbered streets go west. The only thing to remember is that there are a few main streets that are wider than the others and have two-way traffic (14th, 23d, 34th, 42d, 57th.... there doesn't seem to be any logic to the pattern). The lower part of Manhattan was developed in the 17th and 18th centuries, before the grid plan was adopted, with lots of narrow streets and a less organized layout. (Personally - I grew up 20 miles from New York and have spent all my life on the east coast so I know my way around fairly well - the part of Manhattan I find most disorienting, for some reason, is the West Village.) The city council adopted the grid plan about 1810 as the pattern for future development as the city grew northward.

Look at any map of Manhattan and the difference is obvious.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Triple C
Registered User
 
Triple C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Antalya
Posts: 5,268
Likes (Received): 1723

City center of Antalya has all the one-way roads.
__________________
ek$i | Flickr | last.fm | Twitter
Concerts | Cappadocia | Eskişehir | İzmir '09 | İstanbul
In some time: Ankara, Antalya, Bandırma, Çanakkale
Triple C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Mr_Dru
Registered User
 
Mr_Dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 547

Amsterdam Canals-area in the citycenter.
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #11
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人
 
BarbaricManchurian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Worcester
Posts: 5,502
Likes (Received): 6892

Boston has a lot of one-way streets, but it's a small city so once out of the core, traffic flow isn't too bad
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #12
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam
 
Magnus Brage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jönköping
Posts: 307
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
As Chris said, one-way streets are easy with a consistent grid. Which is why they work in most of Manhattan. Since the streets that run east and west are numbered, there's even a mnemonic (a memory trick): "east even, otherwise odd" - meaning even-numbered streets go east, odd-numbered streets go west. The only thing to remember is that there are a few main streets that are wider than the others and have two-way traffic (14th, 23d, 34th, 42d, 57th.... there doesn't seem to be any logic to the pattern). The lower part of Manhattan was developed in the 17th and 18th centuries, before the grid plan was adopted, with lots of narrow streets and a less organized layout. (Personally - I grew up 20 miles from New York and have spent all my life on the east coast so I know my way around fairly well - the part of Manhattan I find most disorienting, for some reason, is the West Village.) The city council adopted the grid plan about 1810 as the pattern for future development as the city grew northward.

Look at any map of Manhattan and the difference is obvious.
Is this system of naming streets 14th, 23d, 34th, 42d, 57th street something unique for New York ?

Must be quite easy to study the streets of NY to become a taxidriver. Manhattan has a squarelike net of straight streets and most streets have numbers instead of names.
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #13
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,561
Likes (Received): 19353

Almost every city in the US has sequentially numbered streets. Some rural areas also have this in the Midwest where there is a grid system.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; December 20th, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam
 
Magnus Brage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jönköping
Posts: 307
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
In Budapest it is not used for confusing foreigners but parking is enabled in all streets both sides so the remaining space is not enough for two cars.
Yes, same thing with the Stockholm-Uptown "Horror-Street" Grevgatan a narrow oneway street packed with cars on both sides. It was impossible to make a stop on that street because if I stopped I was at the same time blocking the passing traffic.

So..as a cabdriver waiting for a customer at Grevgatan sometimes you had to drive around the whole block a couple of times while waiting for the customers so you didn't block the street. It really was the last street where you wanted a pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicerón View Post
Most of the streets in the Spanish ensanches are one-way.

Barcelona: http://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&ie=...,0.061798&z=15

Madrid: http://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&ie=...,0.061798&z=15
WoW, Barcelona looks like city difficult to navigate, worst I ever saw.
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #15
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.
 
Fargo Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Port Kepler, Galilei Continent, Chakona
Posts: 685
Likes (Received): 17

We have FOUR streets that are one way where I live. 1st, 3rd, Seymour and Landsdowne.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #16
RKC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Budapest
Posts: 1,462
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
In Budapest, too, secondary streets are almost all one way.
downtown that is. allthough old town (inner city) is quite big compared to the whole city
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #17
RKC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Budapest
Posts: 1,462
Likes (Received): 28

i don't know how to take a screenshot, but here you can see the amount of one way streets. and i couldnt fit all of it in cause if i zoom out you cant see the arrows so look around a bit
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...,0.054932&z=15
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM   #18
christos-greece
Moderator!
 
christos-greece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 176,456
Likes (Received): 244191

In the city of Athens we have many oneway streets, but except of that we have and some major traffic roads, streets in oneway in the heart of Athens
__________________
Urban Showcase: Athens Kalamata Trikala Thessaloniki
Cityscapes: Paris Barcelona Dubai, U.A.E. Monte Carlo, Monaco
General photography: Castles of France - Chateau de France and, since May of '08: Greece!
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:36 PM   #19
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 890

The are loads of one way streets in most Portuguese cities, as most cities have narrow roads in their city centres
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:56 PM   #20
alesmarv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 265
Likes (Received): 28

Pretty much all cities in Mexico are all one way streets. Mexico city is almost all one way streets except for the highways, same with Guadalajara, Merida, well all cities in Mexico that I have been to and I have been to alot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.042272&z=15

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.042272&z=15
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium