daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #21
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Why do school buses in other countries look so much better than ours? Ours in the US look like rough $hit, even the new ones.

You would think a school bus would be more comfortable and safe considering it's transport kids, but this isn't the case at all especially compared to their transit counterparts. I swear these school buses have like NO suspension at all, and there is zero leg room.(From what I remember, I could only fit by keeping my legs wide open)

Give me a New Flyer C40LF any day.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #22
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

School buses in the US are made to be cheap and easy to run. If you want anything better, you're going to have to pay up; it already cost between $8,000 to $25,000 to educate a kid in US public schools. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040402921.html)

In Japan, where I'm currently living, school buses are rare. Nursery schools, kindergartens and sports clubs (YMCA, etc.) might have them. Barring some private schools or rural areas, public schools do not have busing services. Public elementary school students usually walk to school; middle and high school students either walk, ride a bike or use public transportation. School buses could never be implemented because of the way Japanese education is set up; unlike the US, there are no school districts. Except for elementary school, Japanese middle and high school students can go to any public school in Japan as long as they get in i.e. they have to apply and pass an entrance exam, etc. I used to work at a Japanese high school and many of my students were from different cities, some commuting from over an hour away by train.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #23
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of the Union View Post
Why do school buses in other countries look so much better than ours? Ours in the US look like rough $hit, even the new ones.

You would think a school bus would be more comfortable and safe considering it's transport kids, but this isn't the case at all especially compared to their transit counterparts. I swear these school buses have like NO suspension at all, and there is zero leg room.(From what I remember, I could only fit by keeping my legs wide open)

Give me a New Flyer C40LF any day.
I'd really like to know the answer/s to this which is why I created the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoldemortBlack View Post
Manchester, UK:

Safe-looking busses although I never imagined the UK copying that very same tone of yellow, which altogether makes me suspect corporate meddling How long have those busses existed now, because I'd have thought that their yellow would be that newish neon-lime-green one, the tone now attributed to advance-warning highway signage?

Tell me, please: Even though the windows look both too high up and slim, do Mancurian tykes now piss around by yelling out the windows like the following image seems about to illustrate, because they sure still do here (Montreal) all these decades now ? In addition, must motorists stop (both directions) to yield the roadway to embarking and alighting children, because I see neither a set of flashing red lights above the windscreen nor a hinged highway Stop sign on any bus corner (all obligatory in N America)? Plus, why low-floored models; ain't that attribute more for mobility-challenged passengers as opposed to lazy kids?!?

clickable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple1 View Post
Hello:

I agree with you, the issue is important.

I wonder if you were aware of the case. A few years ago, Québec provincial coroner Marc-Andre Bouliane conducted inquests into school bus accidents in Québec and recommended eliminating long-nose buses and other measures. His recommendations were largely ignored by the Québec government. However, it was found that the coroner was actually selling those buses to Cuba (when they were used and considered no good for here) - and I actually saw a few of them there! It seemed the crusader got into some contradictions.

The coroner was accused of conflict of interest and a settlement finally occurred. I wonder if others are continuing recycling the old buses in Cuba.

In any case, it was a sad situation. A parallel may be made with old yellow buses and... asbestos. Some are stating it is hypocrisy from "our" industry and "our" three levels of government (municipal, provincial and federal): exporting asbestos in third world countries while seeking to rid the product at home...

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/pre-20...us_safety.html

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome

No, I didn't know of Québec's own position on flat-nosing, which I seem to remember having become an issue in B.C. -- I wouldn't be surprised if doing away with flat noses be somewhat universal although it does also surprise me to be still coming across a fair number of non-flat-nosed models around Montreal.

Last edited by trainrover; July 14th, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #24
Apple1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

our wrecked buses in third-world countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post

No, I didn't know of Québec's own position on flat-nosing, which I seem to remember having become an issue in B.C. -- I wouldn't be surprised if doing away with flat noses be somewhat universal although it does also surprise me to be still coming across a fair number of non-flat-nosed models around Montreal.
Hi, yes flat-nose became an important issue. I thought it was settled, I am surprised to hear there are still some on the road.

So it seems there are more buses to be eventually sent to Cuba.

It is quite disturbing to see the the security conditions in third-world countries.

Scary when you are on-board...
Apple1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #25
VoldemortBlack
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
I'd really like to know the answer/s to this which is why I created the thread.

Safe-looking busses although I never imagined the UK copying that very same tone of yellow, which altogether makes me suspect corporate meddling How long have those busses existed now, because I'd have thought that their yellow would be that newish neon-lime-green one, the tone now attributed to advance-warning highway signage?

Tell me, please: Even though the windows look both too high up and slim, do Mancurian tykes now piss around by yelling out the windows like the following image seems about to illustrate, because they sure still do here (Montreal) all these decades now ? In addition, must motorists stop (both directions) to yield the roadway to embarking and alighting children, because I see neither a set of flashing red lights above the windscreen nor a hinged highway Stop sign on any bus corner (all obligatory in N America)? Plus, why low-floored models; ain't that attribute more for mobility-challenged passengers as opposed to lazy kids?!?

clickable

Haha! They've been around a good 3 or 4 years now! My school used to have them until we got our own private ones from the ones I've seen from other schools, they all just behave on the bus lol, I think stuff like that (leaning out of windows etc) would be illegal here what with it breaking the "wear a seatbelt" law!
VoldemortBlack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #26
trainrover

Yeah, well it virtually never fails, kids bellowing at you crazily from their dropdown windows, morning or afternoon.

After posting my query (thank you for replying!), I remembered my being bussed on a yellow school minibus to kindergarten/nursery school. Summertime rains are hard here in s'ern Québec, and the minibus ceiling wasn't the slightest bit insulated. I used to howl during the excruciatingly loud downpours, it was so disturbing for me as a 4-year-old tot, nobody had any luck calming me (forget it! just let me holler!).
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #27
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11281

@ Penang, Malaysia
image hosted on flickr

School bus by IIun, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Sekolah by IIun, on Flickr
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:10 PM   #28
21c123

Likes (Received): 0

Gent in Belgium has 4 of these 2007 Irisbus Crossway 10.6 metre buses

21c123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM   #29
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Plus no share of collision-proofing is apparent in the decades' worth of successive models: doesn't the model look as though it'd easily splinter in a flash of a crash? A parent recently confessed to me the fearfulness for the child's safety riding those things.
Wow is that really a concern? I thought American school buses were built to the highest safety standards and their collision protection is above most other vehicles on the road. OTOH riding comfort sure is lacking, from personal experience. Remember this picture?

hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:35 PM   #30
trainrover

More than 190 weeks ago? No, I've never seen it ... might this mean hummers've been counterfeit?
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #31
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

AFAIK our standard school buses are built to the highest safety standard, using high strength steel for the chassis and the bumper is also solid steel. I would say American school buses are way safer than most other countries' school buses which are nothing more than regular passenger coaches.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #32
trainrover

Many countries' stock appear the equivalent of intercity coaches ... the riveted panelling to our yellow busses don't look promising, even at any lower in-town speed.
Old July 28th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #33
trainrover

The overhang extension modified into the rear of this schoolbus is stupifying ...

Last edited by trainrover; July 28th, 2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old July 28th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #34
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40908

Brazilian Yellow School bus, all front-engine type.

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote