daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:07 AM   #581
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Pudong airport phase III to build two satellite terminals and two APMs

Two APM (automatic people mover) rails will be built to connect two satellite terminals. One will connect T1 to S1, another connects T2 to S2. Each airport rail will be 2 km long.

source
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #582
stephendavion

Likes (Received): 172

Solar PV modules provider Upsolar has completed the installation of a 1.7MW solar-electric system at Shanghai Pudong International Airport in China. The building-integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) project is currently generating enough clean power to serve the needs of the airport's parking facility and load devices.
stephendavion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #583
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 812

http://www.routes-news.com/news/1-ne...p-hourly-slots

As predicted, the opening of the new runway is delayed. Originally it was supposed to open by 2014 (in Chinese: 31.12.2014). Now the opening has been pushed into early 2015 (in Chinese: 30.06.2015).
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #584
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
4th runway ready for take-off in Pudong
Shanghai Daily
November 12, 2013

WORK has finished on the fourth runway at the Pudong International Airport, which will be put into service next year, officials with the Shanghai Airport Authority said yesterday.
Again, this is an official delay, because the Shanghai Daily article from 2013 promised an opening by next year, which would be 2014.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #585
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Passenger jet and fuel truck collide
Shanghai Daily
July 18, 2014

A PASSENGER jet collided with a fuel truck on the taxiway of Hongqiao International Airport yesterday, forcing passengers to be evacuated onto the apron.

The China Eastern Airlines flight from Taipei to the Hongqiao airport damaged its left engine cover in the incident, as it was about to attach to a bridge, the Shanghai-based airline said.

The Airbus 330 had landed at the airport at around 6:30pm and struck the fuel truck as it was taxiing to the No.15 bridge at Terminal 1, a press officer with China Eastern said.

The collision left an indentation and scraping on the engine cover, said the press officer.

“The bump was quite slight and barely broke the surface of the engine cover,” the officer said.

All the passengers were evacuated onto the apron. None were reported injured.

The airline dispatched another aircraft to operate the following flight.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:26 PM   #586
hkskyline
Hong Kong

China flight-delay chaos
The Standard
Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Thousands of air travelers are stranded or face long delays with some of China's busiest airports reducing traffic by 25 percent because of large-scale military exercises.

The disruptions that started to bite on Monday night will affect millions of people for weeks, with drills by the People's Liberation Army now running to August 15. They include live-firing exercises by air-defense units.

Civil aviation officials said orders to reduce traffic went to 12 airports including Shanghai's Hongqiao and Pudong International airports - among China's busiest - Nanjing, Hangzhou, Ningbo, Jinan, Qingdao, Wuhan and Zhengzhou.

According to the news.youth website, flights from Guangzhou and Shenzhen and northern cities including Beijing and Shijiazhuang were also hit.

Most of the airports are in economically advanced areas.

At Shanghai's Hongqiao, the announcement of delays as the airspace was occupied by "other users" caught many travelers by surprise.

A would-be passenger said his flight should have left on Monday night, but then came a delay of four to five hours.

"So I changed to a flight departing [yesterday], but this too has been delayed."

Meanwhile, hundreds of passengers were looking for space to wait, with luggage blocking walkways.

One weary traveler went online to complain: "In the whole airport not even one plane can depart. All the announcements are about delays, cancellations or going to hotels. "Officials said there are drills, [but] why didn't they announce it earlier?"

Another griped: "It's insane! There are no seats left at the airport."

By midnight on Monday, 98 flights had been cancelled at Shanghai Hongqiao and 15 flights were delayed by more two hours. The situation seemed worse at Pudong, with 101 flights cancelled and 103 delayed.

Air China said only some of its routes were affected and that passengers on those flights would be offered refunds or an option to book again.

The full effects of the drills had not been felt in Hong Kong by yesterday, though an Airport Authority official said some flights to Beijing and Shanghai were cancelled.

In fact, tourism sector legislator Yiu Si-wing said he had been unaware of the PLA exercises until approached by reporters yesterday, and then he had reports from the mainland of "a big mess and seats on flights in short supply."

A tour group heading to Harbin via Shanghai was unable to get enough seats, he said.

The guide suggested splitting the group but gave up that plan when it proved too difficult. The group had to settle for another day in Shanghai.

The People's Daily reported last week that PLA land forces were holding 10 inter-regional drills over the next three months. The first began a week ago in Gansu province, involving the Chengdu Military Region's Air Defense Brigade in the Tibet autonomous region.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #587
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Why can't they do this in Qinghai? They already have 80% of the airspace available to them. Also Chinese airlines don't take off when its raining so even if there was no military they would still be massive delays.

Add to the fact that with the exception of Beijing T3 and Hongqiao T2, every air Terminal in China is a hellhole with overpriced crappy food and warm 2.5% beer. I was stuck in Fuzhou airport for 5 hours once, not fun.

I am going to Xiamen on Monday, im taking the train! 8 hours on a train is better than 5 hours in an airport and a 2 hour flight.

FM 2258 liked this post
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #588
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
Why can't they do this in Qinghai? They already have 80% of the airspace available to them. Also Chinese airlines don't take off when its raining so even if there was no military they would still be massive delays.

Add to the fact that with the exception of Beijing T3 and Hongqiao T2, every air Terminal in China is a hellhole with overpriced crappy food and warm 2.5% beer. I was stuck in Fuzhou airport for 5 hours once, not fun.

I am going to Xiamen on Monday, im taking the train! 8 hours on a train is better than 5 hours in an airport and a 2 hour flight.
Common sense does not prevail in the skies over China!

Old July 25th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #589
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post

Haha, that's so true, the best airport meal I had was in Hongqiao T2.

I've eaten in SZX, HAK, KWL and CKG and was wondering why food was so expensive and not that great...this was in 2010.

Airliners in China don't take off in the rain? In general all over the world I feel that military is just an unnecessary evil...just my most likely flawed personal opinion.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #590
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101872

I don't have any complain over food in any of the airports of China where I had a chance to be. The food here is a pattern to many other hubs in the world.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #591
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Civil aviation authorities warn of massive flight delays

BEIJING, July 28 (Xinhuanet) -- China’s Civil Aviation Administration has issued a yellow alert on flight delays in eastern and central regions, the third highest on the scale.

Poor weather conditions are affecting many parts of the country.

China’s major airlines announced adjustments or cancellations of a few flights, after severe weather and air traffic controls caused massive delays in eastern and central China.

China Eastern Airlines said some flights in Nanjing and Shanghai are likely to be delayed or canceled in the next few days.

China Southern Airlines said the capacity of some airways in Shanghai has dropped by 30 percent.

Old August 1st, 2014, 07:21 PM   #592
hkskyline
Hong Kong

China lifts air control measures caused by military drills

SHANGHAI, Aug 1 (Reuters) - China will on Friday lift air traffic control measures imposed to allow military drills and which have caused major delays and cancellations of flights, raising concerns over airline earnings.

Flights in the country's eastern, central and southern regions will return to normal once the restrictions are lifted, the Civil Aviation Administration of China said a statement posted on its website late on Thursday.

The Public Security Bureau had said flights could still be affected until mid-August. Xinhua said military drills will continue in coastal areas in the southeast even after the air control restrictions are lifted.

Hundreds of flights have been delayed or cancelled since July 20 due to the air controls.

In one of the most serious disruptions, authorities issued a red alert on Tuesday, resulting in a near shut down of 20 airports in east China for much of the afternoon.

The military exercises, which political analysts say are larger in scope and duration than in years past, come as tensions with Japan and other Asian nations increase, although the government has called them annual and routine.

Defence Ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng said the exercises are not targeted at any other country.

"We hope parties concerned do not to make groundless links. It is one's own problem if he is suspicious of China's military drills and takes it personally," the official Xinhua news agency quoted Geng as telling a monthly news briefing on Thursday.

He added the drills are annual routine events aimed at strengthening real-combat training and military preparation, and improving the capability of countering various security threats.

FM 2258 liked this post
Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:52 AM   #593
Severiano

I don't have to fly for the next two weeks, so perfect timing. My flight on Thursday was 2 hours late, which now a days means that I am lucky. Alsi I got upgraded to first class, unfortunately it was Spring airlines.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:56 PM   #594
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Spring has first class? On a narrowbody??

Old August 13th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #595
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

I recently transited through Shanghai Pudong. Everyone had to go through immigration, collect their luggage, go upstairs to re-check their bags, then go through immigration and security all over again!

Why does Pudong make people do all this extra work? Other hubs like Tokyo Narita don't require transiting passengers to do this.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #596
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
I recently transited through Shanghai Pudong. Everyone had to go through immigration, collect their luggage, go upstairs to re-check their bags, then go through immigration and security all over again!

Why does Pudong make people do all this extra work? Other hubs like Tokyo Narita don't require transiting passengers to do this.
I transited MU to MU international in PVG in May and didn't have to go through immigration and my bags were checked through. What was your itinerary - was it 2 separate tickets or all under 1 booking?

However, I did have to go through security again, which is a standard feature that I've experienced transiting at other airports worldwide.

Old August 13th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #597
Severiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Spring has first class? On a narrowbody??
Yea, must be new. I was in the first row, it was still 3x3 seating. And I got a meal and free drinks. Plus I got to use the bathroom in the front.

So it was similar to coach on any other airline.
Old August 16th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #598
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Shanghai Airport's quarterly profit growth eases to 10.6 pct

Aug 15 (Reuters) - Shanghai International Airport Co Ltd , China's biggest airport by market value, posted a 10.6 percent rise in second-quarter net profit, easing sequentially due to competition from other modes of transport.

The airport, which has a market capitalisation of around $4.4 billion, posted a net profit of 1.03 billion yuan ($167.56 million) during the January-June period, up 15.2 percent from a year earlier, it said in a filing on the Shanghai stock exchange on Friday.

Second-quarter net profit was 518.7 million yuan, higher than 469.1 million yuan a year ago, according to Reuters' calculations based on company data. The result was lower than an analyst's forecast of 520.9 million yuan.

Increasingly, wealthy Chinese have been travelling by flying, helping to boost throughput at the Shanghai airport, Beijing Capital International Airport Co Ltd, Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport Co Ltd and Shenzhen Airport Co Ltd.

However, air travel has also faced competition over the past few years from cheaper modes of transport, such as bullet trains, buses and cars, pressuring airports' share prices.

The results announcement came after China markets closed. On Friday, Shanghai Airport's shares, which have dropped 2.4 percent so far this year, rose 2.3 percent to 13.97 yuan, beating the main Shanghai composite index's 0.9 percent gain. (1 US dollar = 6.1470 Chinese yuan)

Old September 8th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #599
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52265

Shanghai June-July 2014-20.jpg by roman joe, on Flickr

CP11, Munwon, firoz bharmal, big-dog liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #600
Severiano

Record profits, new amazing masterplan. Now only if they can get a starbucks in T1 and T2 after security.

I need my coffee for those morning flights.

Tags
airport, east asian hub airport, shanghai