daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Cyrus
Persian King of Kings
 
Cyrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tehran
Posts: 1,600
Likes (Received): 1883

UNESCO's World Heritage Sites

Russia:

This is the oldest world heritage site in Russia: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1070

Citadel, Ancient City and Fortress Buildings of Derbent



I love it!
__________________
Zarathustra: Good Thoughts, Good Words and Good Deeds

All Empires For History Lovers!
Founder and Administrator
Cyrus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Commandant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,008
Likes (Received): 44

Shirakawa Village, Gifu, Japan (from aaroninjapan09.wordpress.com):


Last edited by Commandant; December 25th, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Commandant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #4
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7063

Kizhi Island, Republic of Karelia, Russia:

evadiam


Снежная Лиса


Василий Иванов


Biancaneve
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #5
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7063

Great Novgorod, Russia:

miss-musya2011

Saint Sophia Cathedral (1045-1050):

igor-pl


sapozhnik-1


tatyanabt


MYXOMOPbI4

Church of the Transfiguration of Our Saviour on Nereditsa Hill (1198):

ded195413


georgysam
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #6
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7063

VLADIMIR REGION, RUSSIA:

The church of Boris and Gleb in Kideksha (1152-1157):

Nick

The Church of the Intercession on the Nerl in Bogolyubovo (1158):

ann-39

Dormition Cathedral in Vladimir (1158-1160; modified in 1186-1189):

Амиго

Golden Gate of Vladimir (1158-1164, modified in 1795-1810):

spokladov

Cathedral of Saint Demetrius in Vladimir (1194-1197):

latanina-l

Cathedral of the Nativity of Our Lady in Suzdal (1222-1225):

ars192007

The Saviour Monastery of St. Euthymius in Suzdal (16th century):

Logistik50

Cathedral of the Nativity of Our Lady (1751-1758) with the remains of the castle of Andrew the Pious (1158-1165) in Bogolyubovo:

Logistik50
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #7
helorider14
Fight & Build
 
helorider14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cali and La Union
Posts: 501
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Shirakawa Village, Gifu, Japan (from aaroninjapan09.wordpress.com):

whats in here? farmhouses?
helorider14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #8
èđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong
 
èđđeůx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,688
Likes (Received): 1955

Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania




from: http://www.zanzibar.net/index.php?op...c=viewcategory
èđđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #9
RokasLT
Registered User
 
RokasLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,891
Likes (Received): 1095

Vilnius Historic Centre
Quote:
Political centre of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania from the 13th to the end of the 18th century, Vilnius has had a profound influence on the cultural and architectural development of much of eastern Europe. Despite invasions and partial destruction, it has preserved an impressive complex of Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and classical buildings as well as its medieval layout and natural setting.

Political centre of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania from the 13th to the end of the 18th century, Vilnius has had a profound influence on the cultural and architectural development of much of eastern Europe. Despite invasions and partial destruction, it has preserved an impressive complex of Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and classical buildings as well as its medieval layout and natural setting.
Centre historique de Vilnius

Centre politique du grand-duché de Lituanie du XIIIe siècle jusqu'à la fin du XVIIIe siècle, Vilnius a exercé une profonde influence sur le développement culturel et architectural d'une grande partie de l'Europe orientale. Malgré invasions et destructions, elle a conservé un ensemble imposant de bâtiments historiques de styles gothique, Renaissance, baroque et classique, ainsi que sa structure urbaine avec ses espaces historiques et son environnement de verdure.
الوسط التاريخي في فيلنيوس

كانت فيلنيوس المركز السياسي لدوقيّة ليتوانيا الكبرى من القرن الثالث عشر حتى نهاية القرن الثامن عشر. فقد أثّرت تأثيرًا كبيرًا على التطوّر الثقافي والهندسي لجزءٍ كبيرٍ من أوروبا الشرقيّة. كما حافظت، بالرغم من كل ما تعرّضت له من اجتياحات وتدمير، على مجموعةٍ كبيرةٍ من المباني التاريخية التي تتميّز بأسلوبها القوطي والباروكي والتقليدي والأسلوب الذي يعود إلى عصر النهضة، بالإضافة إلى البنية الحضرية بمساحاتها التاريخيّة وبيئتها الخضراء.

Source: UNESCO/BPI
维尔纽斯历史中心

维尔纽斯是从13世纪到18世纪末期立陶宛大公国的政治中心,在文化和建筑发展上对许多东欧国家有着深远的影响。尽管遭到入侵和部分的破坏,它仍然给人留下深刻的印象,保留了哥特式、 文艺复兴时期、巴洛克式和古典的建筑及其中世纪的布局和自然景致。

Source: UNESCO/BPI
Исторический центр Вильнюса

Будучи политическим центром Великого княжества Литовского в период с XIV до конца ХVIII вв., Вильнюс оказывал глубокое влияние на развитие культуры и архитектуры во многих странах Восточной Европы. Несмотря на вражеские вторжения и частичные разрушения, здесь уцелел впечатляющий комплекс зданий, построенных в стиле готики, Возрождения, барокко и классицизма. Сохранилась средневековая планировка, а также природная среда.

Source: UNESCO/BPI
Centro histórico de Vilna

Capital del Gran Ducado de Lituania desde el siglo XIII hasta finales del XVIII, Vilna tuvo una gran influencia en el desarrollo cultural y arquitectónico de una gran parte de Europa Oriental. Pese a las invasiones y destrucciones de que fue víctima, la ciudad ha conservado un impresionante conjunto de edificios góticos, renacentistas, barrocos y neoclásicos, así como su trazado medieval y el paisaje natural circundante.

Source: UNESCO/BPI
ヴィルニュスの歴史地区

source: NFUAJ
Other Languages:
English French Arabic Chinese Russian Spanish
[Vilnius Historic Centre]
© UNESCO More pictures ...
Long Description

Vilnius is an outstanding example of a medieval foundation which exercised a profound influence on architectural and cultural developments in a wide area of Eastern Europe over several centuries. In the townscape and the rich diversity of buildings that it preserves, Vilnius is an exceptional illustration of a central European town that evolved organically over five centuries.

On a site that had been intermittently occupied from the Neolithic period, a wooden castle was built around AD 1000 to fortify Gedimino Hill, at the confluence of the Neris and Vilnia rivers. The settlement did not develop as a town until the 13th century, during the struggles of the Baltic peoples against their German invaders. By 1323, when the first written reference to Vilnia occurs, it was the capital of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania founded by Prince Gedymin, ancestor of the Galitzin family. At this time some brick structures had apparently been erected on a small island formed when the Vilnia changed its course.

Lithuania was the last great pagan state in Eastern Europe to be converted to Christianity, in 1387, when Grand Duke Jagaila was baptized. This opened Vilnius to the Western world, as in the same year it adopted the Magdeburg Statutes. However, it was not until 1410 when the Teutonic Order was destroyed at the battle of Tannenberg that it became safe from marauders and invaders.

The rapidly expanding town was struck by a disastrous fire in 1471, when the first religious establishments (cathedral, parish church of St John and Franciscan and Cistercian monasteries) were destroyed. The only surviving remains from the earliest period are therefore the walls, some sections of which survive beneath the defences built in 1503-22 against Tatar incursions. The town was partially reconstructed after another major fire in 1530, when an attempt to rationalize the medieval street pattern was largely unsuccessful. This was a period of commercial and cultural development. Close trading links were established with both Western and Eastern Europe, and these trading links led to the spread of Western culture into Byelorussia and the Ukraine.

A printing works was set up in 1522 and a university in 1579. Yet another fire in 1610 saw the destruction of the newly built Lower Castle and the new cathedral. The subsequent reconstruction included extensive church building: the churches of St Michael, St Stephen, St Casimir, All Saints, and St Theresa all date from this period. At the beginning of the war with Russia (1654-67) Vilnius had no fewer than 41 religious buildings, though many were lost during the conflict. Most of the older buildings in wood were lost in a series of fires (in 1715, 1737, 1748 and 1749), but it was the successive reconstructions that gave the town many of the buildings of special character, including the cathedral, town hall, arsenal, and the Tyzenhauzai, Rensai, Pacai and Masalskiai palaces. Many of the surviving earlier buildings were rebuilt or refurbished in Baroque style.

Annexation by Russia in 1795 led to the Lithuanian capital gradually losing some of its distinctive character. The fortified enceinte and Lower Castle were demolished in 1799; in 1837 Cathedral Square was laid out in strict academic style and St George Avenue was constructed cutting across the old town fabric. In the Second World War, over 80 old houses were destroyed, but reconstruction was put in hand with the end of hostilities. Major rehabilitation projects for the historic town centre were drawn up in 1956-58 and 1970-74.

The historic centre comprises the areas of the three castles (Upper, Lower and Curved) and the area that was encircled by a wall in the Middle Ages. The plan is basically circular, radiating out from the original castle site. The street pattern is typically medieval, with small streets dividing it into irregular blocks, but with large squares inserted in later periods.

The historic buildings are in Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and classical styles (with some later additions). Some 40% of them are adjudged to be of the highest category of architectural and historical importance. They constitute a townscape of great diversity and yet at the same time one in which there is an overarching harmony.
RokasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #10
RokasLT
Registered User
 
RokasLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,891
Likes (Received): 1095

Vilnius Photos:

http://whc.unesco.org/uploads/thumbs...0303161411.jpg
http://whc.unesco.org/uploads/thumbs...0901160621.jpg
http://www.eair.nl/forum/vilnius/ima...e_Old_Town.jpg
http://www.laborsolustravel.com/en/p...iestis_big.jpg
http://www.vsaa.lt/vaizdai/foto_html/panorama07.jpg

Last edited by erbse; December 26th, 2010 at 02:02 PM.
RokasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #11
RokasLT
Registered User
 
RokasLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,891
Likes (Received): 1095

Quote:
The Curonian Spit (Lithuanian: Kuršių nerija, Russian: Куршская коса, German: Kurische Nehrung, Latvian: Kuršu kāpas, Polish: Mierzeja Kurońska, Estonian: Kura säär) is a 98 km long, thin, curved sand-dune spit that separates the Curonian Lagoon from the Baltic Sea coast. Its southern portion lies within Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia and its northern within southwestern Lithuania.
The Curonian Spit stretches from the Sambian Peninsula on the south to its northern tip next to a narrow strait, across which is the port city of Klaipėda on the mainland of Lithuania. The northern 52 km long stretch of the Curonian Spit peninsula belongs to Lithuania, while the rest is part of the Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia (see the map). The width of the spit varies from a minimum of 400m in Russia (near the village of Lesnoy) to a maximum of 3,800 m in Lithuania (just north of Nida).
According to Baltic mythology, the Curonian Spit was formed by a giantess, Neringa, who was playing on the seashore. This child also appears in other myths (in some of which she is shown as a young strong woman, similar to a female version of the Greek Heracles).

From ca. 800 to 1016, the Spit was the location of Kaup, a major pagan trading centre which has not been excavated yet. The Teutonic Knights occupied the area in the 13th century, building their castles at Memel (1252), Neuhausen (1283), and at Rossitten (1372). The Spit may have been the home of the last living speaker of a now-extinct Baltic language, Old Prussian.[3]

Significant human impacts on the area began in the 16th century.[1] Deforestation of the spit due to overgrazing, timber harvesting, and building of boats for the siege of Königsberg in 1757 led to the dunes taking over the spit and burying entire villages. Alarmed by these problems, the Prussian government sponsored large-scale revegetation and reforestation efforts, which started in 1825. Owing to these efforts, much of the spit is now covered with forests. In the 19th century the Curonian Spit was inhabited primarily by Curonians (Kursenieki) with a significant German minority in the south and a Lithuanian minority in the north. The population of Curonians eventually dwindled due to assimilation and other reasons; it is close to non-existent these days and even before 1945, when the spit had become totally ethnic German.[citation needed] Until the 20th century, most people in the area made their living by fishing. From 1901 to 1946 the village of Rossitten, now Rybachy, became the site of the pioneering Rossitten Bird Observatory, the world's first, founded by German ornithologist Johannes Thienemann there because of the Spit's importance as a bird migration corridor. The German population was expelled by force after World War II.
A Crowbiter about 1930. Crows, killed by a bite in the head, were a traditional food supplement

After the breakup of the Soviet Union, tourism flourished; many Germans, mostly the descendants of the inhabitants of the area, choose the Curonian Spit (especially Nida, as no visas are needed for Germans in Lithuania) as their holiday destination.

Reforestation may have been 'sponsored' at some point by the Prussian government, but most reports state in the late 19th century George David Kuwert, the owner of a post station in Nida, began the spit’s reforestation.

RokasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #12
helorider14
Fight & Build
 
helorider14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cali and La Union
Posts: 501
Likes (Received): 1

^
wow i want to see this place.

Last edited by erbse; December 26th, 2010 at 02:03 PM.
helorider14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #13
buho
Moderator
 
buho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 14,882
Likes (Received): 19166

Wuzburg palace and gardens, in Germany

buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #14
Commandant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,008
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by helorider14 View Post
whats in here? farmhouses?
From whc.unesco.org/en/list/734:

Historic Villages of Shirakawa-go and Gokayama

The historic villages of Shirakawa-go and Gokayama are outstanding examples of traditional human settlements that are perfectly adapted to their environment and their social and economic raison d'être and have adjusted successfully to the profound economic changes in Japan in the past half-century.

In the 8th century AD this area was opened up as a place for ascetic religious mountain worship, centred on Mount Hakusan, for an order that combined ancient pre-Buddhist beliefs with esoteric Buddhism. In the 13th century it came under the influence of the Tendai Esoteric sect, and then by the Jodo Shinshu sect, which is still influential in the area. Its teachings played an important role in the development of the social structure of the region, based on the kumi system of mutual cooperation between neighbouring households.

Shirakawa-go was part of the territory of the Takayama Clan at the beginning of the Edo period, but from the late 17th century until the Meiji Restoration of 1868 it was under the direct control of the Edo Bakufu (military government). Gokayama was under direct rule by the Kanazawa Clan throughout the Edo period.

Because of the mountainous terrain, traditional rice-field production was not wholly successful in the area, and so the farmers turned to alternative grains such as buckwheat and millet, cultivated in small fields, but even with these the farming was at little higher than subsistence level. The few marketable products from the area were Japanese paper, made from the fibres of the paper mulberry, which occurs naturally in the area, nitre (calcium nitrate) for gunpowder production, and the basic products of sericulture (silkworms and raw silk thread). Paper production declined in the 19th century, and nitre production was brought to an end with the importation of cheap saltpetre from Europe at the same time. The silk industry survived longer, from the late 17th century until the 1970s; its requirement of large enclosed spaces for silkworm beds and storage of mulberry leaves was an important factor in the development of the gassho-style house.

The central part of Ogimachi is located on a terraced plateau east of the Sho River. Most of the houses are on individual lots separated by cultivated plots of land, reflecting traditional land use. On the sloping land near the base of the mountain the houses are on terraces supported by stone retaining walls. Their boundaries are defined by roads, irrigation channels or cultivated plots rather than walls or hedges, and so the landscape is an open one. Most have ancillary structures such as wooden-walled storehouses and grain-drying shelters, which are usually well away from the dwelling houses to minimize fire risk. The house lots are surrounded by irrigated rice fields and city-crop fields, also small and irregular in shape.

The designated group of historic buildings is composed of 117 houses and seven other structures. Of these, six are in the gassho style, most built during the 19th century; they are all aligned parallel to the Sho River, giving a very harmonious and impressive landscape. Seven houses are post-and-beam structures with rafter-framed roofs, built in the 20th century and with an overall resemblance to the gassho style. The village has two Buddhist temples, Myozen-ji and Honkaku-ji. The guardian deity of the village is housed in the Shinto shrine, Hachiman Jinja, situated at the base of the mountain and surrounded by a cedar grove.

Ainokura village is similarly located on a terraced plateau above the Sho River. Its layout is focused on the old main road. The houses and plots are broadly identical in form and size with those at Ogimachi. The group of historic buildings includes twenty gassho-style houses, most with a four-room square layout. The guardian deity of the village is housed in the Jinushi Jinja Shinto shrine, and the Buddhist centre is the Shonen-ji temple of the Jodo Shinshu sect.

The site of Suganuma is similar to those of Ogimachi and Ainokura, on a terrace overlooking the Sho River, but it is much smaller, with only eight households and a population of 40 people. Nine gassho houses survive, the most recent built as late as 1929. They resemble those of Ainokura rather than Ogimachi.
Commandant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #15
Adrian12345Lugo
Registered User
 
Adrian12345Lugo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,912
Likes (Received): 1319

Uxmal, Yucatan.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walter_...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/headles...7605729308223/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walter_...er/4532742201/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5118851...7616446909384/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rag_de/5162853859/

Last edited by Adrian12345Lugo; December 28th, 2010 at 06:40 AM.
Adrian12345Lugo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #16
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 9,949
Likes (Received): 6079

Vicenza, Italy. Teatro Olimpico.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teatro_Olimpico
Projected in 1580 by Andrea Palladio, completed in 1585.

image hosted on flickr

Teatro Olimpico - Palladio di Been Around, su

image hosted on flickr

Teatro Olimpico - Andrea Palladio di Been Around, su Flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradydorman/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #17
buho
Moderator
 
buho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 14,882
Likes (Received): 19166

The Vicenza theatre is amazing, I wonder if there are theatre representations nowadays.
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #18
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 9,949
Likes (Received): 6079

yes. Not often but it is still used as a theatre and also for conferences.
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #19
buho
Moderator
 
buho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 14,882
Likes (Received): 19166

Alhambra de Granada, in Spain

The XIV century palatine complex of the last Al-Andalus kings.









buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu