daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

New York in 50 shots: Jersey

Ok so I know we've crossed over into another state but come on, Jersey is practically part of New York City...anyway don't you want to see what lays just west of the Hudson river on the other side of Manhattan? Well you can see it all @ the Naked New York tour http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202 for now here is a small chunk of the western anchor of the metropolitan area

The city of Hoboken
image hosted on flickr

Shrine for 9/11 in Exchange Place
image hosted on flickr

West New York
image hosted on flickr

Bergenline and Celia Cruz Way in the Latin Quarter, Union City
image hosted on flickr

Downtown Newark
image hosted on flickr

Businesses in Guttenberg
image hosted on flickr

Homes in Weehawken
image hosted on flickr

Hoboken again
image hosted on flickr

Korean signage in Palisades Park
image hosted on flickr

Journal Square, Jersey City
image hosted on flickr

Newark from Harrison
image hosted on flickr

Quiet residential street in the Van Vorst Park section, Jersey City
image hosted on flickr

Construction in Jersey City
image hosted on flickr

Midtown skyline from Liberty State Park
image hosted on flickr

Walk ups in West New York
image hosted on flickr

Jersey City in the distance
image hosted on flickr

The Ironbound, Newark's Portuguese/Brazilian enclave
image hosted on flickr

North Hudson Park
image hosted on flickr

Hanging out around the Rutgers Campus in University Park in Newark
image hosted on flickr

Busy street in Downtown Newark
image hosted on flickr

Exchange Place looms in Jersey City
image hosted on flickr

Row homes in Hamilton Park
image hosted on flickr

New York City from West New York
image hosted on flickr

Cold day out in North Bergen
image hosted on flickr

McGinley Square, Jersey City
image hosted on flickr

A quiet day in Newport
image hosted on flickr

Liberty State Park
image hosted on flickr

Residential Block in Union City
image hosted on flickr

Loft Apartments in Weehawken
image hosted on flickr

The Old downtown in Jersey City
image hosted on flickr

Highrises tower over the suburbs of Cliffside Park
image hosted on flickr

Newark Bay from Bayonne
image hosted on flickr

A colorful corner in Palisades Park
image hosted on flickr

The Union City bustle
image hosted on flickr

Bayonne
image hosted on flickr

Performing Arts Center @ Newark
image hosted on flickr

Manhattan from New Jersey
image hosted on flickr

The GWB rises over Fort Lee
image hosted on flickr

Houses in the Ironbound district
image hosted on flickr

W.A.L.D.O Power and Arts district in Jersey City
image hosted on flickr

Overlooking the Hudson
image hosted on flickr

Newark @ Broad and Main
image hosted on flickr

Out and about in Hoboken
image hosted on flickr

India Square, Jersey City
image hosted on flickr

Highrise living in Fort Lee
image hosted on flickr

Driveways in Edgewater
image hosted on flickr

Military Park in Newark
image hosted on flickr

Goldman Sachs
image hosted on flickr

Residential area in Hoboken
image hosted on flickr

The George Washington Bridge
image hosted on flickr

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #2
ExcellentALWAYS
Ambitious Girl

Great shots of Jersey.
Eeyore, Winnie the Pooh
ExcellentALWAYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Jc1990

Likes (Received): 0

Man you got some great shots of this area...Love this topic. Good stuff
Jc1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244843

Indeed great, very nice shots from Jersey
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Eagle Empire
%

Likes (Received): 10

New York = New Jersey?
Otherwise, good pictures.
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19906

That's what Nygirl mentioned in her introduction...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
Ok so I know we've crossed over into another state but come on, Jersey is practically part of New York City...anyway don't you want to see what lays just west of the Hudson river on the other side of Manhattan?
Anyway, fantastic tour again! Thanks for the nice pictures.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #7
DWest
DBest

Likes (Received): 414

beautiful photos.
DWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #8
Jc1990

I love your shots but you lost major points for saying NJ is pretty much ny lol. Would you ever say minneapolis is pretty much a part of chicago???. I get the point that anytime your in NJ the focus is on ny, but thats what people here are trying to change and putting posts like this doesn't help us. Many of the things you think are so ny are actually NJ, so if you want to say ny is pretty much like NJ, that would work lol. but this isn't the time for it, great pics either way, I just hope next time you can make the focus solely on NJ and NEVER mention ny lol.
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #9
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
That's what Nygirl mentioned in her introduction...

Anyway, fantastic tour again! Thanks for the nice pictures.
I'd say South Jersey has less similarities though. They prefer Philly sports teams and are in the range of Philly TV stations, not NYC ones (or they get both, like me).
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:01 AM   #10
yianni

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc1990 View Post
I love your shots but you lost major points for saying NJ is pretty much ny lol. Would you ever say minneapolis is pretty much a part of chicago???. I get the point that anytime your in NJ the focus is on ny, but thats what people here are trying to change and putting posts like this doesn't help us. Many of the things you think are so ny are actually NJ, so if you want to say ny is pretty much like NJ, that would work lol. but this isn't the time for it, great pics either way, I just hope next time you can make the focus solely on NJ and NEVER mention ny lol.
some areas of new jersey are part of merto new york ,perhaps this is what the person was saying.
but some areas in these pics do look a tad like some areas within brooklyn or some other burrough as well
nice pics anyhow
yianni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #11
MDguy

These photos are awesome! I love the architecture. Some those rowhouses are absolutely gorgeous. Lots of family history comes from Jersey City, and its a really awesome looking place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc1990 View Post
Obviously she means the Northern New Jersey inner suburbs (i know they are not really suburbs - i don't have a better word for them) are an extension of New York, and i don't see how one could disagree, except of course out of pride. They grew with new york and flow with the city with ease - identical in many ways, and many, even most, of these areas could be mistaken for New York City. The Minneapolis example is not the same because Minneapolis is 350 miles away from Chicago, and grew in an entirely different fashion. A better comparison would be Arlington and DC. Arlington may as well be considered part of DC for it is identical in many parts and grew with DC from the beginning.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #12
Jc1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
These photos are awesome! I love the architecture. Some those rowhouses are absolutely gorgeous. Lots of family history comes from Jersey City, and its a really awesome looking place!

Obviously she means the Northern New Jersey inner suburbs (i know they are not really suburbs - i don't have a better word for them) are an extension of New York, and i don't see how one could disagree, except of course out of pride. They grew with new york and flow with the city with ease - identical in many ways, and many, even most, of these areas could be mistaken for New York City. The Minneapolis example is not the same because Minneapolis is 350 miles away from Chicago, and grew in an entirely different fashion. A better comparison would be Arlington and DC. Arlington may as well be considered part of DC for it is identical in many parts and grew with DC from the beginning.

Inner suburbs???? If your talking about Jersey City and Newark then you just proved my point. They aren't suburbs of ny, they are CITIES of NJ with suburbs of those cities, that statement shows the mentality people have towards NJ. It is all mentality that makes people think that ny has priority over what happens in this area. Of course it is pride that pushes me to even say anything and try to correct what i feel shouldn't be. It's the same pride that made cities like chicago and ny, without that same pride would anyone stay in those cities even though the rough times that both have gone through? I know that JC is neither of those cities and never can be, but we are trying to get our own distinction away from ny.

You are right about my analogy, i was wrong. I was thinking of Milwaukee but instead wrote Minneapolis but the former would still make it too far, i though MIL was closer to chicago. Arlington did grow along with DC but it is still given somewhat of a distinction. The way i see things, NJ didn't grow because of ny. I see it as ny grew BECAUSE of NJ, if it wasn't for the factories that have become synonymous with this state that served ny companies, what other locations would they have been put in or maybe wouldn't have served ny at all. That same priority that ny gets helped grow the city at the expense of NJ, and if the mentality was there from the beginning, that people from NJ should put NJ first, ny probably wouldn't have became the ny we all know now. Though that last statement can be seen in either way, i admit that is a case of half-full or half-empty lol.

In all, this is NOT the "6th borough", this is NOT "wall street west", this is JERSEY CITY. If we grew alongside ny, shouldn't we have the same status as ny and be viewed in the same way Minneapolis and St.Paul are?
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #13
MDguy

I see.

As for me "proving your point", perhaps you don't read accurately. I clearly wrote that these photos are not of inner suburbs.

edit: though, i see your point. Obviously the key point in the whole thing is that there is an identity crisis.

Last edited by MDguy; January 17th, 2011 at 06:03 AM.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #14
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post

Obviously she means the Northern New Jersey inner suburbs (i know they are not really suburbs - i don't have a better word for them) are an extension of New York, and i don't see how one could disagree, except of course out of pride.
They grew with new york and flow with the city with ease - identical in many ways, and many, even most, of these areas could be mistaken for New York City. The Minneapolis example is not the same because Minneapolis is 350 miles away from Chicago, and grew in an entirely different fashion. A better comparison would be Arlington and DC. Arlington may as well be considered part of DC for it is identical in many parts and grew with DC from the beginning.
Without disprespecting JC over here, MDguy is right in how I see things but clearly not everyone is going to look at it my way and that's fine. The northern New Jersey suburbs...the sub area's and the satellite cities like Newark and Jersey City that encompass the New York City metropolitan area are first and foremost--New Jersey State. Still, this specific area is very much NYC Met area which is really what this showcase is about. It's not New York state, I understand Jersey has it's own history and politics (believe me I do) and a culture all it's own as well but let'sw face it, there really isn't too much in North Jersey that is unlike Downstate New York let alone Metropolitan New York.

I recognize New Jersey is an entirely different state but with all due resect the North East Quarter of the state is all NY metropolitan area..in other words I would never refer to it as The Jersey Metropolitan area. I just thought the New York Metro area: Jersey would have been too much in a title. It's my fault I am lazy

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #15
AJW
hemelschraper

Likes (Received): 195

Some crackin' shots in there. Thanks for the tour!!

We are the children of concrete and steel
Everything is possible but nothing is real

Living Colour (1990)
AJW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:35 AM   #16
samba_man
1 ...2....3...

Likes (Received): 20017

Awesome pics. Good Job !
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:35 PM   #17
Mr.Johnson

Likes (Received): 62