daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #461
kevsy21

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the golden vision View Post
Nice shot of the squirrel. Calderstones is easily the best park in Liverpool imo.
Thanks,id never been there before even though its close.Check my blog out ive added quite a few pics from there.

My Liverpool Blog-- http://urbanliverpool.blogspot.com/
kevsy21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #462
BeeGee

Likes (Received): 65

A quite dramatic sight yesterday and repeated again today. I live adjacent to some quite large woods which in turn are next to farmland in the centre of WIrral. Mid afternoon I spotted two very large birds of prey soaring high in the sky and very slowly turning in a graceful aerial dance. This lasted for at least some ten minutes on both occasions before they were out of view. On the second showing there were three birds involved.

Looking through binoculars the birds were the classic 'hawk' shape and looking from the ground these are large and very graceful birds. If I can get a photo I will but have been unsuccessful as yet.
BeeGee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #463
the golden vision

Likes (Received): 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
A quite dramatic sight yesterday and repeated again today. I live adjacent to some quite large woods which in turn are next to farmland in the centre of WIrral. Mid afternoon I spotted two very large birds of prey soaring high in the sky and very slowly turning in a graceful aerial dance. This lasted for at least some ten minutes on both occasions before they were out of view. On the second showing there were three birds involved.

Looking through binoculars the birds were the classic 'hawk' shape and looking from the ground these are large and very graceful birds. If I can get a photo I will but have been unsuccessful as yet.
BG, obviously the first bird that springs to mind here is the buzzard. When displaying they usually call, which is a very distinctive 'mewing' sound
the golden vision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #464
the golden vision

I was awakened in the early hours of Friday morning by,(4.04am to be precise) i'm not sure what but i then heard the song of a blackbird, i continued to listen to this nocturnal chorister for a further 25 minutes. Why was this bird singing in the dark? Studies into birdsong have found birds wake about half an hour before sunrise, and because songsters can't forage for food in the dark, this time is used to exercise the vocal chords and to proclaim territory. However some birds sing in the very early hours when rivals and prospective mates are sleeping, which seems a very wasteful expense of energy. A recent study in the U.S, in to birdsong concluded some birds may sing just for the sake of it. Without wishing to anthropomorphise, it's possible birds sometimes sing because they 'enjoy' it .

I like to think that the blackbird i was listening to was another sentient being, joyful, like myself at the arrival of spring and was letting everyone know

Old March 25th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #465
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1597

From today.

Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #466
the golden vision

I like those lappy eggs
Old March 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #467
BeeGee

Quote:
BG, obviously the first bird that springs to mind here is the buzzard. When displaying they usually call, which is a very distinctive 'mewing' sound
Thanks GV - you could well be right as there was a lot of calling going on, will keep an eye out.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #468
the golden vision

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #469
the golden vision

Rimrose Valley Country Park

The park is situated between Crosby and Litherland on the northern outskirts of the city. The site is one of two under consideration for the path of a new road to Seaforth Container Terminal. Plans are at an early stage and no consultations have taken place yet, but without doubt there will be fierce opposition to the loss of this amenity from the local population.

The park was well patronised when i visited on Saturday, with walkers,cyclists and picnickers all enjoying the fine weather and almost rural feel of the park. This space really is a wildlife haven, with higher densities and more diverse animal and plant life than the 'countryside' to the north of the park, which in realty is almost a sterile environment for wildlife.

Rimrose Valley Country Park is a huge asset to the communties bordering it. It's a educational resource for local schools and provides a vaulable open space local people as well as providing a variety of habitats for wildlife. This should be protected at all costs imo

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #470
the golden vision

The first photo shows the shrubbery and trees that provide cover and nesting sites for birds. There are a number of these 'clumps' around the reserve, they are fenced, to minimise disturbance.
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #471
the golden vision

Brookvale Wetland. This is one of two sites of Special Local Biological Interest in the park.
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #472
the golden vision

The other SLBI, with its extensive reed beds, home to Reed Buntings,Reed and Sedge Warblers.
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #473
the golden vision

The Leeds-Liverpool Canal marks the western boundary of the park.
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #474
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Mistle Thrush

Goldcrests nest

Long Tailed Tits nest

Mute Swan

Collared Dove

Song Thrush

Common Carp
Old March 30th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #475
nicksanderson

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

I'd think that Buzzard are likely too, there's a pair that I know of on Bidston hill and another pair that lives somewhere near Lever Causeway on my side of the wirral but I'll bet that there's lots more.

They're properly big birds if you ever see them low down
nicksanderson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #476
BeeGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksanderson View Post
I'd think that Buzzard are likely too, there's a pair that I know of on Bidston hill and another pair that lives somewhere near Lever Causeway on my side of the wirral but I'll bet that there's lots more.

They're properly big birds if you ever see them low down
The birds in question are circling over Hancock and Storeton Woods so the Causeway connection looks favourite. They are proper camera shy however. Will keep trying.
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #477
the golden vision

Brilliant pics Paul, especially the Mizzy and Goldcrest nest
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:34 PM   #478
the golden vision

Heard a cuckoo today, i was in the vicinity of County Rd , Ormskirk, which is the A59 as it skirts the town centre. I'd estimate the bird to have been about 500 yards to the west, on some farmland, i was chuffed. I haven't seen or even heard a cuckoo for several years.
Unfortunately the bird is still in decline locally and nationally. The link below gives some up to date info on bird populations in the NW. One of the big surprises is the decline of the Sparrowhawk, Swift and Starling populations continue to plummet, Skylarks and Linnets are still decreasing as well.
The good news is Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, Goldfinches and Nuthatches have all seen large increases. The rising numbers of some songbirds could be down to the fall in Sparrowhawk numbers and Magpies, which have also fallen. Although some songbirds continue to decline so it's more complex than it appears.

http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys...h-west-england
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #479
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

The last time I heard a Cuckoo,I was in North Wales, we always used to have a couple in Crocky Park years ago.I'm very surprised Magpies and Sparrowhawks are in decline, I see the later often, I saw one today.
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #480
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

I was around the Crosby Beach area today,here's a Bar Tailed Godwit on the beach, Black Tailed Godwits were on the reserve, at least fifteen of them.

Reed Bunting by the Marine Lake.

A Common Newt from a pond in the park.