daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #101
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 10126

Calderstones Park was a private deer park at one point. It also, you will have noticed, has an impressive arboretum.

It is a shame that the Liverpool botanical collection was not able to be moved to the proposed, but abandoned, glass dome plan for the park.

Did you see the Calder Stones?
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #102
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1849

Quote:
Mute Swan and Coot in Calderstones Park today. Neither of these birds bred in city 30 years ago, now they can be found in most of the city's large parks.
This was a massive coup aswell this year.

Quote:
Rare bird of prey raises chicks in Wirral

Sep 22 2010 by Jade Wright, Liverpool Daily Post

ONE of Britain’s rarest birds of prey has nested in Merseyside for the first time.

The marsh harrier, rarer than the golden eagle, has a wingspan of nearly four feet.

This summer, a pair nested at a secret location close to the Mersey estuary in Wirral.

The news of the marsh harrier’s successful breeding for the first time in the area has been kept under wraps to ensure they were not disturbed during the nesting season.

However, Cheshire Wildlife Trust can now reveal that the marsh harriers successfully raised three chicks, which have now left the nest.

With around 360 breeding pairs in the UK, and these mostly confined to the east coast, the arrival of the harriers has been warmly welcomed. To date, the only other west coast breeding of marsh harriers has been in Lancashire and the Scilly Isles.

The harriers were initially discovered by local ornithologist Pete Burton, and further observations by Cheshire Wildlife Trust chairman and ornithologist Prof David Norman confirmed that breeding was indeed taking place, including regular sightings of the male carrying food to the nest area. In late August, the three chicks flew the nest successfully.

Richard Gardner, Cheshire Wildlife Trust’s living landscape manager said: “It’s extremely exciting news to have marsh harriers nesting in Cheshire for the first time, and shows the importance of the Mersey estuary for some of our rarest wildlife.”
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #103
the golden vision

Likes (Received): 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
Calderstones Park was a private deer park at one point. It also, you will have noticed, has an impressive arboretum.

It is a shame that the Liverpool botanical collection was not able to be moved to the proposed, but abandoned, glass dome plan for the park.

Did you see the Calder Stones?
No, i didn't see the aboretum Jane. I didn't have much time and got lost looking for the oak. One person i asked thought i meant a pub some very friendly Scouse squirrels near the cafe, which is part of that elegant Regency mansion, i assume that was the Tate family home. I photographed one of the stones, at least i hope it is I must say, it's a very nice park.
the golden vision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #104
the golden vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
This was a massive coup aswell this year.
It is Paul. Thanks.
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #105
the golden vision

Snapped these on brief visit to Calderstones today. The first picture is a Lucombe Oak. An evergreen tree, it's a hybrid. The next two are London Planes,with their characteristic peeling bark. This is another hybrid, Sycamore and something i can't remember ! it's favoured in cities because of its resistance to pollution.
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #106
openlyJane
Human Being

You seem to have entered via The Menlove Avenue entrance. I get very disorientated in this park!

The stones are kept in a glass house near to the Four Season's Gate - which is off Harthill Rd - by the Calderstones School sixth form block - previously Quarry Bank School, and which John Lennon attended. There is also a Japanese and a formal garden, as well as greenhouses which display a small part of the Liverpool botanical collection - currently housed in ramshackle greenhouses in Garston.

It has a completely different vibe to the other formal, planned, Victorian parks - being as it was, a private estate and arboretum.

The Liverpool International Tennis Tournament is held here - last year i was thrilled to see John Macenroe, although, sadly, I was working when Martina Navratilova played.

Some of the young, rising stars of tennis have played here, then gone on to greater things; in fact the women's current number one - Caroline Wozniacki played at Calderstones for two consecutive years. I have recently read two interviews with her in which she says she is a Liverpool FC supporter; going into detail about the current state of affairs at the club. I was quite piqued when neither interviewer asked her why, being Danish, she supported Liverpool - because if they had she would have said it was because of the great time she had in the city, the warmth of the welcome etc etc.
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #107
the golden vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
You seem to have entered via The Menlove Avenue entrance. I get very disorientated in this park!

The stones are kept in a glass house near to the Four Season's Gate - which is off Harthill Rd - by the Calderstones School sixth form block - previously Quarry Bank School, and which John Lennon attended. There is also a Japanese and a formal garden, as well as greenhouses which display a small part of the Liverpool botanical collection - currently housed in ramshackle greenhouses in Garston.

It has a completely different vibe to the other formal, planned, Victorian parks - being as it was, a private estate and arboretum.

The Liverpool International Tennis Tournament is held here - last year i was thrilled to see John Macenroe, although, sadly, I was working when Martina Navratilova played.

Some of the young, rising stars of tennis have played here, then gone on to greater things; in fact the women's current number one - Caroline Wozniacki played at Calderstones for two consecutive years. I have recently read two interviews with her in which she says she is a Liverpool FC supporter; going into detail about the current state of affairs at the club. I was quite piqued when neither interviewer asked her why, being Danish, she supported Liverpool - because if they had she would have said it was because of the great time she had in the city, the warmth of the welcome etc etc.
No, i came through the main entrance. I seen the house/school i was going to photograph it. I got the mansion anyway. I have heard of the Tennis tournament and i agree that's the type of positive publicity we need. I'll return and have a good look round when the trees are in leaf. Thanks for the info.
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #108
TheMerseyOrange
M.O.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the golden vision
The Birders Club, membership now up to four !
Room for one more?

One of ten Bramblings on Friday, a new high count for the garden. I think Speke Hall still holds the record for the largest UK winter Brambling roost at c.150,000 individuals in 1981. Paul will know for sure .

Eight Siskins at once was another new garden high for Friday.

Another one from earlier today. According to the most recent Cheshire & Wirral bird atlas, Buzzards are Wirral's most widespread new breeding species over the last 30 years or so which isn't difficult to believe at all.
TheMerseyOrange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #109
the golden vision

Great M.O., member number 5 !
It really is fantastic news about the Buzzard. What's good about it is they're so visible and the mewing is so distinctive, you can't mistake them for anything esle.
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #110
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Quote:
One of ten Bramblings on Friday, a new high count for the garden. I think Speke Hall still holds the record for the largest UK winter Brambling roost at c.150,000 individuals in 1981. Paul will know for sure
No that's new to me but then again Paul's got a memory like a sieve.Good to see you back M.O.
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #111
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Drama at the Dee: spring tide nature workshops at Parkgate

POP over to Parkgate to see the spring tides this weekend and enjoy a rare natural treat.

This natural occurrence becomes a real wildlife spectacle as the more secretive birds and creatures that normally live there, like wetland birds water rails and snipe, harvest mice, and water voles. This in turn can attract the most amazing birds of prey, like ghostly grey hen harriers, gliding short-eared owls, and high speed merlins as well as grey herons and little egrets.

Paul Brady, RSPB visitor development officer, said: “Watching the tide surge towards you with the Welsh hills as a stunning backdrop is thrilling. Add to that the sights and sounds of huge flocks of birds, along with the excitement of expert predators doing what they do best, makes it an experience to remember.”

Join the RSPB High Tide Bird Watch events on Saturday February 19 at 10 am, Sunday February 20 at 11 am and Monday February 21 at 11.30 am.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...#ixzz1EK3jChU8
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM   #112
the golden vision

Signs of Spring in the wood near to my home. Hawthorne, Snowdrop and Elder breaking in to leaf/flowering.

The birds are also signalling the arrival of Spring. The resident song birds are becoming increasingly vocal. In the last week or so the Chaffinch has joined them but i've yet to hear the familiar 'wheeze' of the Greenfinch. Of course the Warblers are not back for a while yet so it's not quite the cacophany of the Dawn Chorus but Spring is definitely in the air.

One bird i haven't heard for a few years now is the Cuckoo. Sadly in decline locally and nationally. This is particularly poignant because the call of the Cuckoo on a summer's day, has to be one of the most intoxicating sounds of the english countryside. Why the bird has declined so much in recent years isn't completely clear, there are a number of factors. One that has come to the fore recently is predation. The huge increase in predatory animals in the past 20 years has taken a heavy toll on the bird population. Grey Squirrels, Mink, the Magpie, which all feed on nestlings are just some of the culprits. An unfortunate but very pertinent statistic is that the Sparrowhawk population alone accounts for the loss of 30 millon song birds a year ! Whatever the reason for the decline of the Cuckoo it's sadly missed.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM   #113
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

I heard a Cuckoo for the first time in years last year in North Wales,I used to hear them every year in Crocky Park years ago,it's sad too see them decline.

I was in Crocky Park last week and a Goldcrest was literally ten feet away from me me but when I zoomed in it had moved,it would'nt keep still,it was hovering right in front of me twice as well.I never got a decent picture of it,it was a great experience but equally as annoying.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:05 PM   #114
the golden vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I heard a Cuckoo for the first time in years last year in North Wales,I used to hear them every year in Crocky Park years ago,it's sad too see them decline.

I was in Crocky Park last week and a Goldcrest was literally ten feet away from me me but when I zoomed in it had moved,it would'nt keep still,it was hovering right in front of me twice as well.I never got a decent picture of it,it was a great experience but equally as annoying.
It is sad Paul. I see quite a few Goldcrest round here in the winter, beautiful !
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM   #115
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

I love them,it was actually hovering in front of me to get a better look at me,they're nosey little things.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:20 PM   #116
the golden vision

It's rare that isn't it? normally they're quite shy birds. Would've been a great pic.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:26 PM   #117
openlyJane
Human Being

Sefton Park.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM   #118
the golden vision

Carrion Crows. All the Crow family are 'intelligent' birds. When i was at school one of my mates had a Crow as a pet, another had a Magpie. It was fascinating, it used to follow him to school, unfortunately and predictably a cat got it. good pic, thanks.

Last edited by the golden vision; February 23rd, 2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:08 PM   #119
openlyJane
Human Being

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEUolGiGPgU

I've always been fascinated by crows - in no small part because of Ted Hughes's Crow poems. See you tube video.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:08 PM   #120
the golden vision

I find poetry far better listened to than read especially with likes of Ted Hughes where the english language and accent is so powerful. I've got CD's of Chaucer in the Middle English. Far, far better than the modern english versions. It's that period before the great vowel shift,much more expressive imo.