daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #41
flar
____

Likes (Received): 57

Thanks for the comments. Detroit is a fascinating city. Once one of America's largest and richest cities, it's been battered by a combination of suburbanization, racial tension, corruption/incompetence and deindustrialization.

An extensive freeways system was built in the 1950s and 60s. Not only did this destroy and isolate neighbourhoods, it facilitated a massive exodus to the suburbs. Racial tensions flared, culminating in the 1967 riots. "White flight" was further hastened in the 70s by the busing issue and election of Coleman Young as mayor. All the while, North America was moving toward a post industrial economy; thousands of jobs were lost. The City of Detroit became predominantly black and the suburbs predominantly white. While the Detroit metropolitan area continued to grow and remains one of the largest in the United States, the City of Detroit has found itself in a downward spiral, suffering from a dwindling taxbase, corruption and incompetence. With jobs, schools and city services declining, Detroit struggled with poverty, drugs, crime and other social problems. Over the years, nearly a million residents have left the city proper.

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #42
lezgotolondon
Pescara ▄ber Alles

Likes (Received): 1630

Booooring. Compared to a near city like Toronto.

I don't like GM buinding at all.

Americans and (we too with other europeans citizens) should wake up because corrupt politicians, big companies are ruining our nations.

Americans seems to be very patriotic, so work to improve usa from the inside terrorism is not the real problem that is killing detroit.

it's very sad to see this decline. Usa & Europe should be an example for the new developing countries, now they are falling and the other countries risk to make the same mistakes.
lezgotolondon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #43
tpe

Likes (Received): 3071

If you read some of the previous posts, you will see that many (if not most) of the interesting things happening in Detroit these days have NOTHING to do with big business, corrupt politicians, terrorism, and booming skyscraper/building construction.

This is the problem with many of the picture threads in this part of the forum -- people get fixated on appearances, rather than on other interesting things that make up a city.

And you seem to have your own ideas of what American are and how they should be fixing their cities.

Frankly, some of the good things happening in Detroit would be hard to replicate in other cities anywhere. It's because people have taken the approach to solving problems in a very personal/individual/creative level. A lot of it is done without help from the big corporations or the government.

You should look beneath the surface. Much of what makes a city a city is not found in skylines and impressive buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezgotolondon View Post
Booooring. Compared to a near city like Toronto.

I don't like GM buinding at all.

Americans and (we too with other europeans citizens) should wake up because corrupt politicians, big companies are ruining our nations.

Americans seems to be very patriotic, so work to improve usa from the inside terrorism is not the real problem that is killing detroit.

it's very sad to see this decline. Usa & Europe should be an example for the new developing countries, now they are falling and the other countries risk to make the same mistakes.
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #44
lezgotolondon
Pescara ▄ber Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
If you read some of the previous posts, you will see that many (if not most) of the interesting things happening in Detroit these days have NOTHING to do with big business, corrupt politicians, terrorism, and booming skyscraper/building construction.

This is the problem with many of the picture threads in this part of the forum -- people get fixated on appearances, rather than on other interesting things that make up a city.

And you seem to have your own ideas of what American are and how they should be fixing their cities.

Frankly, some of the good things happening in Detroit would be hard to replicate in other cities anywhere. It's because people have taken the approach to solving problems in a very personal/individual/creative level. A lot of it is done without help from the big corporations or the government.

You should look beneath the surface. Much of what makes a city a city is not found in skylines and impressive buildings.
I know but the photos were boring for me, the other sentences have another topic.

Anyway I was judging the photos and what I've seen in it. I know that I can't judge the city from these photos, this is what you were showing to the rest of the world. It isn't the best of your city?

I was writing impressions not judgements, it's different.
Following your reasoning, even good judgements coul be wrong.

I would like to visit detroit if I can find something worth it. No prejudices, just show me your best.

I didn't wrote that I know how you can fix your problem, but I know that there are in the usa(and in europe) problems you(we) should fix asap.
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #45
tpe

Well, it's OK. But I personally think that good pictures of a city don't always show its best side. In particular, urban pictures are best when they show a certain grittiness and true-to-life directness. It's something one can't get from the usual touristy pictures you are invariably offered by local Chambers of Commerce, visitors centers, etc.

It's the less glamorized pictures that one gets to appreciate the spirit of a place.

I don't know how old you are. But I have lived long enough to have seen Manhattan in the late 1970s and 1980s.

In those days, SoHo was a dump, and memories of the East Village were dominated by visions of rats.

Have you seen pictures of SoHo these days? It is pristine. Some grit remains, but it is metaphorically like gold dust, instead of the dust of the streets.

Would you believe me if I told you that SoHo was much more interesting then than it is now?

You wouldn't believe it from the pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezgotolondon View Post
I know but the photos were boring for me, the other sentences have another topic.

Anyway I was judging the photos and what I've seen in it. I know that I can't judge the city from these photos, this is what you were showing to the rest of the world. It isn't the best of your city?

I was writing impressions not judgements, it's different.
Following your reasoning, even good judgements coul be wrong.

I would like to visit detroit if I can find something worth it. No prejudices, just show me your best.

I didn't wrote that I know how you can fix your problem, but I know that there are in the usa(and in europe) problems you(we) should fix asap.
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #46
SimsPlanet2

Likes (Received): 279

Very impressive city. Seen many movies about this city. Hope it gets better. So many beautiful buildings and areas, they need to be filled with people.
SimsPlanet2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #47
lezgotolondon
Pescara ▄ber Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
Well, it's OK. But I personally think that good pictures of a city don't always show its best side. In particular, urban pictures are best when they show a certain grittiness and true-to-life directness. It's something one can't get from the usual touristy pictures you are invariably offered by local Chambers of Commerce, visitors centers, etc.

It's the less glamorized pictures that one gets to appreciate the spirit of a place.

I don't know how old you are. But I have lived long enough to have seen Manhattan in the late 1970s and 1980s.

In those days, SoHo was a dump, and memories of the East Village were dominated by visions of rats.

Have you seen pictures of SoHo these days? It is pristine. Some grit remains, but it is metaphorically like gold dust, instead of the dust of the streets.

Would you believe me if I told you that SoHo was much more interesting then than it is now?

You wouldn't believe it from the pictures!
I know.

So try to catch this Detroit mood. I'm interested.
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #48
Get Smart
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

decaying, uninviting, this is no Tokyo
Get Smart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #49
charliewong90

Likes (Received): 281

lots of reactions but Detroit is Detroit and i consider it one of america's great cities.
charliewong90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #50
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post
decaying, uninviting, this is no Tokyo
And why should it be?
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #51
Lordpenguinton
penguins: mmm tasty

Likes (Received): 21

If you want to see a good picture in Detroit go see Brueghel's: "Wedding Dance" painting, (or Rivera's mural), at the Institute of Art. Other than that appreciate Detroit for what it is and was. It was a product of a boomtime industrialization much like many Asian and South American cities are experiencing now. And yeah it's not Tokyo, if you want Tokyo then go to Tokyo, and it it's not Toronto, and I love Toronto, but they don't have one of Brueghel's best paintings in Toronto.
Lordpenguinton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #52
sky-eye
Zitterd veur ummer

Likes (Received): 731

Impressive!
sky-eye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #53
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Yes I forgot about the decentralisation of US cties with their vast suburbs and services moving towards the suburbs.

But what about: Universities, head offices of fire dep. and police dep., Culture: theathers,...,

Mayby I just can't imagine how self sufficient these suburbs are....
Detroit still serves as an employment/entertainment/cultural center with several entertainment districts, sports arenas/stadiums, and Wayne State University. Also the downtown area has one of the fastest growing residential populations in the US.

This talk of abandoned neighborhoods is mostly seen in the surrounding neighborhoods. However some of them such as Mexicantown, Corktown, and Midtown have started to see revitalization as well in spite of the political corruption/poor schools/high crime rate so it's not all doom and gloom.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #54
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

Interesting discussion on this thread.....anyway thanks for the nice pics.
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #55
HS
I am the passenger

Likes (Received): 4873

Detroit fascinates me for about three years and I wish I'll go there in few years. This is really sad how Detroit turned from one of the most magnificent American cities to the picture of collapse. I wish Detroit all the best and, as far as those pictures show the situation, Motor City's downtown don't look THAT bad at all. I think the city council and the mayor of Detroit should support revitalisation of the buildings in the city centre. This may take effect in moving back to the city. I guess many people would like to live in comfortable apartments in the city centre in the times of high gas prices.
HS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 07:13 AM   #56
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10977

I knew I'd like this thread. Wonderful old buildings. Can we buy them and move them here?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:30 PM   #57
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 684

Incredible city, shame about the decay, those buildings really deserve inhabitation.
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM   #58
uralural
OrderOfDracul

Likes (Received): 4355

I really like cities of the north of the USA. Great architecture!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:27 AM   #59
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

Likes (Received): 2011

Beautiful photos but didn't you feel unsafe walking around taking photos?
hellospank25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:56 AM   #60
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3275

The city looks a little bit run-down but the architecture is really amazing! Thank you for uploading these photos!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
detroit, michigan