daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #61
mopc

Likes (Received): 11968

Video about Brazil's first airport people mover - Porto Alegre's "AirMobil" air-propelled train

VIDEO
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #62
mopc

Likes (Received): 11968

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrknb View Post

This is the beautiful Phoenix airport tram.
Monstruous, why does Phoenix have such a huge airport? It's a city! All of that is the airport?
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 05:48 AM   #63
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Quote:
Newark airport monorail targeted for scrap heap, cost $354M to build

The Port Authority is planning to replace the AirTrain monorail at Newark Liberty International Airport, which links EWR to an NJ Transit station on the Northeast Corridor Line. (Jerry McCrea | The Star-Ledger)

By Steve Strunsky | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 27, 2015 at 2:02 PM, updated April 27, 2015 at 7:27 PM

NEWARK — The 19-year-old AirTrain monorail system at Newark Liberty International Airport is being targeted for replacement.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has not publicly estimated the cost of a new system, or said when it expected the project to begin or end. But Port Authority commissioners are scheduled to vote Thursday to authorize spending $40 million on planning consultants for the project, plus another $30 million on technical experts.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...l#incart_river
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 09:27 AM   #64
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5447

(CGK) Soekarno Hatta International Airport Terminal Shuttle Bus

Plans to build inter-terminal Monorail has been proposed, but bureaucracy made it unclear the prototype for the rolling stock has been showed to public in 2013, but still..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoko Lelono View Post

foto oleh endardeep.
sumber

ngomong2, moda antar terminal (inter-terminal link) cgk jadi kan pakai monorel bumn ini?

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A
Losbp está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #65
marfvonallen

Likes (Received): 2

looks like it will never going to happen,
marfvonallen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #66
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Too bad about the Newark Airport AirTrain Monorail. I am sad it is closing.

Here is a video I just shot and posted to Youtube.

Nexis liked this post

Last edited by lkstrknb; August 5th, 2015 at 03:35 PM.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:39 AM   #67
Nexis
Dark Wolf

An Empty Airtrain sitting at EWR Station

Newark Airtrain
by Corey Best, on Flickr

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #68
skyshakernowlive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Airports, along with theme parks and intra village (CBD, Retail Zones, etc) are the only acceptable times to install a lrt or monorail.

Otherwise, please build MRT or Trams/BRT. LRT is either too much or too little in such cases.
skyshakernowlive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:40 AM   #69
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

I wonder who what will be the next voice of The Plane Train at ATL. With the current master plan for three additional concourses (G, H, and I), a new voice would have to be introduced to record the new announcements for those stops. IMO they should stick with a female voice.
Pink Jazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #70
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Paris CDG Airport Shuttle Train.
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #71
Nexis
Dark Wolf

From yesterday at JFK Airport

A Sizzling Day at John F Kennedy Airport in New York
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

Sizzling Day at John F Kennedy Airport in New York
by Corey Best, on Flickr

JFK Airtrain Journey
by Corey Best, on Flickr

lsg97, lkstrknb, mrsmartman liked this post
Old August 24th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #72
Pink Jazz

From what I read, IAH plans on replacing its aging Inter-Terminal Train. However, the mystery is what will replace it? The existing tunnels are too narrow for any current off-the-shelf people mover system, so either the tunnels would have to be widened or the replacement system would have to be built above ground like the TerminaLink.

What do you think should replace the Inter-Terminal Train? And don't tell me that it is redundant with the TerminaLink, since TerminaLink serves airside traffic while the Inter-Terminal Train serves landside traffic.

I personally think the ideal replacement system would be an elevated landside people mover similar to the ATL SkyTrain or the PHX Sky Train, and would connect each terminal, the Marriot hotel, the EcoPark parking structure, and the light rail station. Of course, this would cost a lot of money.

Alternatively, moving walkways can be placed in the existing tunnels as a lower cost solution.
Old January 12th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #73
Pink Jazz

An update about the IAH Subway (formerly known as the Inter-Terminal Train), there are five alternatives that are being proposed for its future:
  • Abandon the system in favor of buses.
  • Refurbish the existing system.
  • Replace the existing system with moving walkways.
  • Replace the existing system with a new technology system inside the existing tunnels.
  • Replace the existing system with a new elevated system that would run along South Terminal Road, with the option to extend the system to remote parking and the consolidated rental car facility in the future. This would essentially be like a landside version of the Skyway (IAH's airside people mover, formerly known as TerminaLink).

Probably I think option 5 would be the best option, although probably it would be the most expensive (although Option 4 might be just as expensive if not more since it would probably have to be custom-designed). Options 2 and 4 are my least favorite, since the cars are very small and slow.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; January 12th, 2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old January 12th, 2017, 04:32 AM   #74
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

[QUOTE=Pink Jazz;137677970]An update about the IAH Subway (formerly known as the Inter-Terminal Train), there are five alternatives that are being proposed for its future:
  • Replace the existing system with a new technology system inside the existing tunnels.
  • Replace the existing system with a new elevated system that would run along South Terminal Road, with the option to extend the system to remote parking and the consolidated rental car facility in the future. This would essentially be like a landside version of the Skyway (IAH's airside people mover, formerly known as TerminaLink).

What is wrong with the current system? I think the system does the job needed. No more, no less.
Old January 12th, 2017, 05:50 AM   #75
Pink Jazz

[QUOTE=lkstrknb;137680768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
An update about the IAH Subway (formerly known as the Inter-Terminal Train), there are five alternatives that are being proposed for its future:

What is wrong with the current system? I think the system does the job needed. No more, no less.
Are you referring to the Subway (landside) or the Skyway (airside)? I would agree about the Skyway, however, the Subway is a relic that needs to be replaced. The manufacturer (Disney's WEDway) is no longer supporting the system and parts are no longer being manufactured. The cars are slow and are much smaller than your typical people mover system, and is really more of a toy than a real people mover system.

Fact is, the Skyway is not a replacement for the Subway since it is airside, not landside. These alternatives being studied are to determine future landside connectivity needs for the airport. ATL has both an airside and a landside people mover system (The Plane Train and the ATL Sky Train, respectively), so I don't see why IAH can't do the same.